Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Android?

sagnam is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by xmartyx View Post
    I think it's funny that you think you know the type of person I am. It's wrong to call someone a fag, but **** God is OK? Kinda seems the same to me.

I'm still laughing it was so funny.
    I insinuated it for one, and it was a play on words from the previous post. You know, a joke. Similar to the Rock Cod post that followed mine. Your post is just malicious.

I know what kind of person you are from you calling someone a retard. You haven't done anything to cause me to question that assumption.
    AAL: Ndamukong Suh | AAW: Nicklas Lidström | AAT: Anthony Castro

Quote Originally Posted by lionstigersand... View Post
    Did you root your Kindle Fire? I had been contemplating buying one of those for what seems like an eternity...I mean, at that price it felt like a rip off not to!!!
    I considered it, but I just haven't had the need. I use it as a replacement for a laptop for general internet usage around the house. It does everything I need so far.

For the price I got it, I actually bought 2 with the intention of using one stock and the other rooted. Instead I sold the second one unused to a co-worker for cost.
    Last edited by sagnam; 04-12-2012 at 04:50 PM.

xmartyx is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by sagnam View Post
    I insinuated it for one, and it was a play on words from the previous post. You know, a joke. Similar to the Rock Cod post that followed mine. Your post is just malicious.

I know what kind of person you are from you calling someone a retard. You haven't done anything to cause me to question that assumption.
    You "insinuated" it, I said it. Not really any different other than I don't beat around the bush.

And you don't know anything about me, so you can just keep your assumptions to yourself.

Walt is offline MotownSports Fan

The phone I had was the HTC Eris. I upgraded to the iPhone before my upgrade date just because the Eris was so terrible. I've got many friends as well that paid the extra for an iPhone to upgrade from their Droid X, Thunderbolt and Evo. I've found that the iPhone is just way faster to navigate through the phone, apps are much better and photos/videos are much better. I haven't used any of the new Android phones, but I feel like they just keep making different models until they can get one right.
    And, contrary to what some of you think, I'm no "Apple guy". Have a Dell laptop, wife has a Kindle. Not loyal to Apple at all. Just like a good phone.
    The Eris was underpowered when it was released. It was also a Sense phone, not vanilla android. You can't expect Ferrari performance from a 10 year old minivan. I definitely recommend the fruit phone to anyone that commits hundreds of dollars and a 2 year contract blindly with out doing any research.
    I really want marriage to be redefined as 1 man, 46 women, 13 lemons, 4 donkeys, 1 gold star sticker, a cup of coffee, a rhinoceros, and a Taco Bell gift certificate. -Pfife
    Forgetting the tangerine is a rookie mistake. -Mr Bigglesworth
    AAT: AlAl, the wildcard

You "insinuated" it, I said it. Not really any different other than I don't beat around the bush.

And you don't know anything about me, so you can just keep your assumptions to yourself.
    Still not helping the image. I know you are the type of person that would call someone a retard, I honestly don't care what else you bring to the table.

Also, why does C**k God automatically mean the same thing as fag to you?

Quote Originally Posted by sagnam View Post
    Still not helping the image. I know you are the type of person that would call someone a retard, I honestly don't care what else you bring to the table.

Also, why does C**k God automatically mean the same thing as fag to you?
    I'm sorry, I forgot that you know everything about me and that you weren't "insinuating" anything homosexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The Eris was underpowered when it was released. It was also a Sense phone, not vanilla android. You can't expect Ferrari performance from a 10 year old minivan. I definitely recommend the fruit phone to anyone that commits hundreds of dollars and a 2 year contract blindly with out doing any research.

I think this is why I hate Android phones so much now. Anyone that is pro Android seems to know everything about anything. Please tell me why the Android is so superior to an iPhone?

lionstigersand... is offline MotownSports Fan

I think this is why I hate Android phones so much now. Anyone that is pro Android seems to know everything about anything. Please tell me why the Android is so superior to an iPhone?
    Read the rest of this thread...Hell, just read the last 2 pages!
    I love it here. True story: They asked me to play the University of Michigan and I said, ‘No, I don’t like that school. Any school that has to have a football stadium that big must have a small penis.' - Conan O'Brien at the Breslin, on the topic of UofM

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I wish I would of know that Walt. I did try to reset it but it wouldn't do it. It was usable but quirkey. I knew I could really screw it up by messing with it some more and I did. I'm glad as my contract was up and I do really like my Razr. Wish I would have know the Razr Max was coming out (wife has it) as battery life is much better than my Razr.
    I thought that I had told you via PM. Do you happen to still have it and want to sell it cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    Are you Walter White...
    I am going to say that no, I am not. I had to Google Walt White.

The reality is that any capable chemist likely routinely makes thing worth more than illegal drugs.
    I really want marriage to be redefined as 1 man, 46 women, 13 lemons, 4 donkeys, 1 gold star sticker, a cup of coffee, a rhinoceros, and a Taco Bell gift certificate. -Pfife

Another good way to learn some of the ins and outs...

I have an Og Droid, 2 D2G's, and now my RAZR.
    I love it here. True story: They asked me to play the University of Michigan and I said, ‘No, I don’t like that school. Any school that has to have a football stadium that big must have a small penis.' - Conan O'Brien at the Breslin, on the topic of UofM

I don't know everything, I just think that it is prudent to thoroughly understand something that you are committing a good amount of time and money to. I like to think that makes me an informed consumer, not a know-it-all. Conversely, the reason why many of the Android power users dislike isheep is the obvious lack of knowledge. They refer to handsets as "the Android", and such, like they are all the same thing, but I digress.

As far as why I prefer Android phones, I prefer to have some choices in hardware, and software. I do not like a tiny 3.5 inch screen, and I do not support anti-competitive companies. I have modded every smartphone that I have ever had, and even when jailbroken, IOS is lacking in that department. The uninspired app jukebox UI is bothersome, and does not allow the level of customization that I want. IOS is an OS that does relatively little, and relies on app developers to give it value. That is either clever, or lazy, depending on your point of view.

Edit: This is not the first strawman argument you have made. The statement you quoted had nothing to do with being superior. I simply think that you are not going to do the research to find the appropriate device, you are better off going with the system in which there are relatively few devices with little differences between them. I personally enjoy android, and couldn't care less what phone you use. Idiots talking out the wrong end, regardless of their phone preference, tends to annoy me however.
    Last edited by Walt; 04-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.

screwball is offline MotownSports Fan

Many thanks Greenwit & Walt, I can take it from there.
    The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it - John Kenneth Galbraith

Along the lines of my earlier cloud thread, anyone know of a good streaming app. I'd like to be able to stream video, to my RAZR, from the cloud.

I've been experimenting with a number of services. Dropbox, Amazon, Sugarsync...I side-loaded Air Playit last night and there's some real promise there, but it functions more or less as a remote desktop near as I can tell, and it's still android buggy (intended originally for ios).

Sugarsync streamed video similarly, as long as I converted it to mp4 (file was originally avi that when selected as an avi, from my RAZR, always tries to sync as opposed to stream).

Greenwit is offline MotownSports Fan

Playon has an app.....I haven't tried it on a phone so I don't know how well it works. Looks like it's free to try but then you gotta give up the bucks. I have used it at home before I got the Roku XS.

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

If anyone here has an HP Touchpad, it is possible to install Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich", which is much, much better than the native WebOS that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    If anyone here has an HP Touchpad, it is possible to install Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich", which is much, much better than the native WebOS that comes with it.
    Maybe search to see if it has CM9 support. I know that CM7 had been ported to it.

Edit: Found this.
    HP Touchpad Android Development - RootzWiki

There is CM9 support, but even better, there is AOKP support. Both are unofficial, but I think they always have been and always will be.
    Last edited by Walt; 04-24-2012 at 06:56 PM.

My latest screeny.

My latest screen.

Lets see what everyone else is doing, post some screenshots.

That looks like Mobile Sensei's work.

BTW, iOS is so simple, a monkey can use it. No, really!

Orangutans at Miami zoo use iPads to communicate - Yahoo! News

MIAMI (AP) — The 8-year-old twins love their iPad. They draw, play games and expand their vocabulary. Their family's teenagers also like the hand-held computer tablets, too, but the clan's elders show no interest.

The orangutans at Miami's Jungle Island apparently are just like people when it comes to technology. The park is one of several zoos experimenting with computers and apes, letting its six orangutans use an iPad to communicate and as part of a mental stimulus program. Linda Jacobs, who oversees the program, hopes the devices will eventually help bridge the gap between humans and the endangered apes.

"Our young ones pick up on it. They understand it. It's like, 'Oh I get this,'" Jacobs said. "Our two older ones, they just are not interested. I think they just figure, 'I've gotten along just fine in this world without this communication-skill here and the iPad, and I don't need a computer.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwit View Post
    That looks like Mobile Sensei's work.
    No way, this my diligent kanging of other people's work.:P

Screenies from Tapatalk hosted pics....wish they were smaller. No lock screen.
    Last edited by Greenwit; 05-09-2012 at 10:21 AM.

I was hungry, then you put sense all up in my face, now I'm good. I "sense" a new diet coming along. :P

I don't remember if you said this before, but did you try a second GNex before switching to the Rez? There was a problem with some handsets having poor reception that was fixed by replacing the phone.

Have I mentioned that I hate sense?

Hahaha! Yes re: Gnex. I do not like the bottom of the Sense screen. That will change though....it will look like yours without the three soft buttons on the very bottom.

I am totally kidding. I am still hungry.

I am not kidding about hating sense.

I had no choice since Gnex didn't work for me. And the Razr screen is too pixelated. And speaking of resolution....wow! The Rezound has the very highest of all smartphones.

Sense has some great widgets and the best skin (better than touchwiz IMO) that I've seen. I really have no problems with it other than the bottom menu. I did try the Nemus launcher which made everything vanilla, but I still preferred Sense. Perhaps I need to be checked by a medical professional to see if my gray matter is still sound. :-p

I had no choice since Gnex didn't work for me. And the Razr screen is too pixelated. And speaking of resolution....wow! The Rezound has the very highest of all smartphones.

Sense has some great widgets and the best skin (better than touchwiz IMO) that I've seen. I really have no problems with it other than the bottom menu. I did try the Nemus launcher which made everything vanilla, but I still preferred Sense. Perhaps I need to be checked by a medical professional to see if my gray matter is still sound. :-p
    I am likely biased by past iterations, and hate all skins. Have you tried Nova launcher?

Edit: Nova is ICS only. Duh.

IIRC I tried it when I had the Gnex. Either that or Apex. Whatever was first to come out. I liked it a lot. I wanted to get rid of those stupid Google bars on each screen that smushed the phone's real estate.
    Two words: Costa Rica.

OMG. AOKP has the T-Mobile theme manager now. This rom is the bomb dot com, as the kids say.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't know what kids you've been hanging around... :'P
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Æ

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I have a kindle fire. Is there any reason to root it or tweak it? I like the functionality of it as it is, aside from the lack of volume buttons.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

If you're happy with it, then don't. I found it kinda worthless though, until I rooted it.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

What can you do with it rooted?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    The only app I've found to be "necessary" that requires root is Titanium Backup. I'm not sure if it will run on the Fire. I haven't tried.

I'm not sure if I will root my Fire. I only use it for a limited number of things. At some point I will want to back it up, I suppose.

You could flash a full vanilla android rom onto it and have the play store, and all of things that android tablets have. If you were having problems getting music onto an EVO though, I would not recommend rooting a device. <That wasn't meant to sound snarky>

I wasn't having a problem. Just found it less convenient than iTunes.

Also, that came off as pretty snarky and was kind of rude.

Also, that came off as pretty snarky and was kind of rude.
    Which is why I added the comment at the end, it wasn't intended that way. I usually save that for trolls. :)

You sounded like you didn't like having to deal with a hassle at all with your EVO. Rooting and using bleeding edge software can be a hassle, to say the least. That is what I was getting at. Is there anything that you specifically want from your fire that you do not have?

I reread the first couple of pages of this thread this morning, and it was quite entertaining. It is a good reminder of how far things have come.

qsilvr2531 is offline MotownSports Fan

Hopefully somebody here can answer this question. I've got a Samsung Vibrant through Cincinnati Bell (a regional carrier in SW Ohio). As far as I can tell it is the exact same phone as the Vibrant through T-Mobile (even the T-mobile logo is still present underneath the Cincinnati Bell logo that has worn down since I bought the phone). I'd like to root the phone but the only information i've found on rooting the Vibrant refers to the T-mobile Vibrant. So is the information regarding the T-mobile Vibrant applicable to the Cincinnati Bell version?
    Slowsilver: They did a study at Baseball Prospectus and found out that bionic parts increase WARP23 by 6.7% on average. Back in the steroid era, steroids only increased WARP23 by 4.6%

Quote Originally Posted by qsilvr2531 View Post
    Hopefully somebody here can answer this question. I've got a Samsung Vibrant through Cincinnati Bell (a regional carrier in SW Ohio). As far as I can tell it is the exact same phone as the Vibrant through T-Mobile (even the T-mobile logo is still present underneath the Cincinnati Bell logo that has worn down since I bought the phone). I'd like to root the phone but the only information i've found on rooting the Vibrant refers to the T-mobile Vibrant. So is the information regarding the T-mobile Vibrant applicable to the Cincinnati Bell version?
    I have read that the Cinn Bell Vibrants come prerooted, but that may not be the case. Try downloading terminal emulator, and superuser from the market. Once they are installed, open the terminal emulator, and type in: "su" then hit enter, and let me know what it says.

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast