slim pickens is online now MotownSports Fan

Default Homeless man body found frozen in ice in Detroit.....

1.21 gigawatts?!.......

VT

shabba4detroit is online now MotownSports Fan

Fantastic.

I think this is the first step towards the News becoming a tabloid style paper like the NYPost or the Toronto Sun. Good for them.
    ‎"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

William Earnest Harwell (1918-2010), from the Song of Solomon.

thewave84 is offline MotownSports Fan

Another building owned and neglected by Matty Moroun. He is like a one-man army in the quest for Detroit urban decay.

WMUDan is offline MotownSports Fan

Only in the D.

Charlie LeDuff is going to be bigger than Bill Bonds when it's all said and done.

Greenwit is offline MotownSports Fan

Can't see anything except a couple of feet. Those stomach fat ads on that page are worse to look at.
    Two words: Costa Rica.

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by thewave84 View Post
    Another building owned and neglected by Matty Moroun. He is like a one-man army in the quest for Detroit urban decay.
    I read the article about him in the free press last month. They said his worth is anywhere from 5 to 60 billion????

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Wow, that picture, my caption would have been.

"Uwe Krupp actually takes the ice in Detroit"
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    Wow, that picture, my caption would have been.

"Uwe Krupp actually takes the ice in Detroit"
    LOL!!!!!!! very nice!

I am glad this story made headlines, seeing that numerous phone calls, and days went by before anyone even came to check into it.
    1.21 gigawatts?!.......

VT

Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    LOL!!!!!!! very nice!

I am glad this story made headlines, seeing that numerous phone calls, and days went by before anyone even came to check into it.

I don't know what it's like where you live, but if I let my grass grow too long, my city comes knocking to let me know they will fine me. This billionaire has probably hundreds of abandoned eyesores, which only serve as protection for ciminals and targets for arsonists, and I wonder if he ever even gets a warning. Hey, you own it - you tear it down (the buildings were probably in ruins when he bought them, so he should assume the responsibility for what he buys).

I don't know what it's like where you live, but if I let my grass grow too long, my city comes knocking to let me know they will fine me. This billionaire has probably hundreds of abandoned eyesores, which only serve as protection for ciminals and targets for arsonists, and I wonder if he ever even gets a warning. Hey, you own it - you tear it down (the buildings were probably in ruins when he bought them, so he should assume the responsibility for what he buys).
    I understand all of that, and I agree with you. But I justdidnt like the fact that reports of a dead body, took days for anyone to even come see.
    1.21 gigawatts?!.......

VT

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

It's so terrible... look that, people just ignoring this body... oh how tragic!! Oh, hey, I think I can write up a pretty good story on this. Cool!

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    It's so terrible... look that, people just ignoring this body... oh how tragic!! Oh, hey, I think I can write up a pretty good story on this. Cool!
    That could be the case and if it is then that's sad. But it still is a pretty pathetic story that really symbolizes a lot of what is wrong with the city.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

smr-nj is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

There were a lot of very cold comments in that story..... and they had nothing to do with the weather.

Hey, Rob - was that place any where near my hotel was (first visit)? I think that guy might have been the doorman.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    Would it have been better for him to ignore it?

snoogit is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I read the article about him in the free press last month. They said his worth is anywhere from 5 to 60 billion????
    60 bil would put him north of Bill Gates.

MelissaG915 is offline MotownSports Fan

Lots of commentary in that story where I could almost see the reporter smirking while chastising the lot of us.

Frozen bodies aren't the sole claim of Detroit. There was a 37 year old found frozen in her driveway, an old man here in GR frozen under his car, and another man frozen in his house since the heating company shut off his power.
    AAT '12 - Dan Schlereth

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe not ignore it, but I think the better question is, is this a front page story and was the picture that was chosen to be on the front page used just to sell papers?

There is a middle ground between ignoring the story and sensationalizing it, that's where this story belongs.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

Quote Originally Posted by snoogit View Post
    60 bil would put him north of Bill Gates.
    Yep. He's a very private guy. He's trying to build a second span for the Ambassador Bridge and is fighting the governments of the US and Canada bdcause they want to build a public bridge.

Deadshot is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaG915 View Post
    Lots of commentary in that story where I could almost see the reporter smirking while chastising the lot of us.
    While at the same time assuming that the individual was either drunk or stealing. Perhaps he was just cold.

markmeista is offline MotownSports Fan

How many of us venture through old school book depositories on Detroit's west side?

I'm sorry that this happened to the guy. It's a horrible, tragic, unfortunate thing to have happened. But it's not like we have access to this area. This didn't happen off of US-12 or the Lodge. It happened in the elevator shaft of an abandoned building. So if the writer is lecturing us, then he can buzz off. How did he know to go in the building, anyway?

And had I been playing hockey in that building - then yes, I probably would have made the call. Trespassing or not, it's the right thing to do. There's anonymous tip lines for those sort of things. Others didn't make the call. It's as simple as that. It certainly isn't front page news. If it were to happen in New York, I bet it doesn't even make a mention in the Times and would be buried in the Post.
    RIP Brian Bluhm (estrepe1) - VT

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

It would've been better to report the story without all the commentary and implied guilt on the rest of the city. I also think "this reporter" is more commentator than reporter in his story.

He made sure to let us know that he personally investigated the matter and he personally called the police and he personally followed up on the story and he personally met the fire dept. and he personally did something while everyone else did nothing. Shame... shame on you all.

eastside billee is offline MotownSports Fan

One of the hockey players' friends called the reporter.

The clown that owns this building also owns the Train Station and the Ambassador Bridge.

My son is one of the so-called Urban Explorers. He does it to take pictures only. There is nothing in that building worth having! I've been there, I know.
    The 3rd floors is nothing but old, moldy school supplies - books, pencils, coloring books, crayons, scissors, even Biology supplies. I saw broken glass Biology items, plus tons of empty pill holders - the entire floor is covered with all this stuff. There are tons and tons of shelves where all this stuff used to be. I saw this elevator shaft when i was there....believe me - It's quite scary. Trust me when I say -- I have no idea how anyone could be in there.
    The fall is treacherous to say the least. The top floor - the roof is wasted - there's even a tree growing out of the moldy school supplies thru the roof!!
    It stinks on the 3rd and top floors. The bottom 2 floors are virtually empty.
    The very few things that are laying around are virtually worthless.

The problem is - if the homeless guys who live there were to call the police, they lose their home. These people have NOWHERE else to go. They have no transportation, no money, no ambition, no nothing. I don't blame them for not calling.

I do question why this man was found dead in the elevator shaft! Something
    just sounds a bit shady to me.

If you want to see some of my son's pics down there, you can start here.
    http://flickr.com/photos/jessespeelman/2322026423/
    http://flickr.com/photos/jessespeelman/2322843116/
    http://flickr.com/photos/jessespeelman/2322842856/
    http://flickr.com/photos/jessespeelman/2322842656/
    http://flickr.com/photos/jessespeelman/2322025679/
    http://flickr.com/photos/jessespeelman/2322842296/

He also goes to the Train Station frequently...
    we only part to meet again vt BRIAN BLUHM vt

I like how the reporter asked the homeless guy if he called the police. With what? His Blackberry?

Anthony is offline MotownSports Fan
    Harrison Township, Michigan, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I like how the reporter asked the homeless guy if he called the police. With what? His Blackberry?
    i phone dude, everyone has one.
    Now on to a more interesting post
    Follow me on twitter @anthonyg788

Anthony is offline MotownSports Fan
    Harrison Township, Michigan, United States

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Maybe not ignore it, but I think the better question is, is this a front page story and was the picture that was chosen to be on the front page used just to sell papers?

There is a middle ground between ignoring the story and sensationalizing it, that's where this story belongs.
    well, it worked. My store sold out of about 40 papers before 9am. That didnt happen when Obama got elected
    Now on to a more interesting post
    Follow me on twitter @anthonyg788

Auburndale Ray is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Blame it on global warming...and move on...

ToledoTigerFan is offline MotownSports Fan

The poor man dies in the cold and his last shred of dignity is stolen from him by publishing a picture of his frozen body in the newspaper. Nice.
    2010 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Ernie Harwell
    2012 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Luke Putkonen
    2013 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Confesor Lara