THECATMAC is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Hot Dogs at Comerica

I remember the dogs at Tiger Stadium were pretty good, why are they so bad at Comerica? I mean BAD! They don't even smell good. The vendors dogs are the worst. Hard, dryed out, just awful. I'm switching to the nacho's!
    2014 Adopt A Tiger---TORII HUNTER
    Biggest umpire blunder...ever.....Jim Joyce.......6-2-2010
    "THECATMAC"....ALSO KNOWN AS..."THE NACHO GUY"!!!

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Probably because they are partly made from pig intestines.

ToledoTigerFan is offline MotownSports Fan

I haven't been pleased with the hot dogs recently. They used to use Ball Park brand franks, but I don't think they do anymore. No matter where you buy the darn things, they're never hot. Compared to the hot dog I had at Jacob's Field, the ones at Comerica are just plain crap. I think it may be an intentional thing so fans will buy more Little Ceasar's pizza instead.
    2010 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Ernie Harwell
    2012 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Luke Putkonen
    2013 Adopt-A-Tiger, The GREAT Confesor Lara

zachcadillac is offline MotownSports Fan

The Hebrew National dogs are pretty awesome. If you're eating the other brand, that's probably why they suck.
    BB
    Well, he's shaking my hand and he's grinning that grin
    And you're dancing with me but your thoughts are with him

DennisDubay is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Why don't they serve Michigan's Official Hot Dog, the Vienna Koegel?

MichiganFan1717 is offline MotownSports Fan

The Hebrew National Dogs are great, I usually go for the pizza, but the dogs aren't bad. I don't know about the other ones though.

Ranger is offline MotownSports Fan

Blame the Opera Singing Hot Dog vendor.
    This is not a 3-7 Michigan team...it is an 8-2 team without a QB.
    --Ingefanclub

MelissaG915 is offline MotownSports Fan

I ate too many last year at 5/3, now they all taste subpar. Had a couple with friends at Grand Coney this weekend and wondered why I bothered.
    AAT '12 - Dan Schlereth

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Ours in Lakeland are in two sizes, Normal (dismal) and Torpedo (Nathan's=good).
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

snoogit is offline MotownSports Fan

thats why I switched to hamburgers.

MelissaG915 is offline MotownSports Fan

I will tell you that the stadium sausage at Olds Park in Lansing is worth the drive.
    AAT '12 - Dan Schlereth

eastside billee is offline MotownSports Fan

The dogs at Comerica have gone downhill steadily over the years. One reason is, most of them are pre-made. Also, the ones from the vendors used to be different from the ones at the stands. The vendor ones were steamed at Tiger Stadium, the others grilled. Now, they are all grilled, mostly pre-wrapped.
    The brand has changed. I forget which kind they are using now, but many years ago they did use ballpark. That stopped when Randy Smith was still
    General Manager. I actually conversed with him regarding that. He was a total *** about it and ended up referring me to the guy who ran all the concessions which was a total waste of time. Since then the dogs have stadily gotten worse. I used to eat 3 -4 even 5 at times. Now one usually does me. THe last time I went the dog was tolerable at best. Now the best baseball dogs can be obtained at Pittsburgh's park. They are wonderful there and THEY used to be the worst before they changed stadiums.
    Detroit needs to wake up in this regard. Plus Pepsi sucks too.
    Remember at Tiger Stadium when they had the BIG KAHUNA ice cream sandwiches? Those were awesome too. I guess thats why they stopped serving those. Too much food for the money.

Although I do agree that the Koegel are very very good, I think that Kowalski is a much better hot dog.
    we only part to meet again vt BRIAN BLUHM vt

purplewindex is offline MotownSports Fan

My Mom volunteers at concessions sometimes with the elementary school she works at and they were short workers once, so I got suckered into going there one time. I will never eat a hot dog from there again due to how many of those things I wrapped. Ugh.
    2009 Adopt-A-Tiger: Dave Dombrowski
    2008 Adopt-A-Tiger: Timo Perez
    "Please don't use the words Stiff and Inge in the same sentence, Purple may explode, and that wouldn't be good. She's nice." --DennisDubay

DennisDubay is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplewindex View Post
    My Mom volunteers at concessions sometimes with the elementary school she works at and they were short workers once, so I got suckered into going there one time. I will never eat a hot dog from there again due to how many of those things I wrapped. Ugh.
    Lies! If Brandon Inge mosied over and asked if you'd like to get a Pepsi and a Dog, his treat ... you'd be there! Tell your stories somewhere else, missy!

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

I've got to agree with the Hebrew National Hot Dog being better. Go up to the stand and ask for one fresh off the grill.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

At home, it is Hebrew National or Nathan's. Nothing else.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDubay View Post
    Lies! If Brandon Inge mosied over and asked if you'd like to get a Pepsi and a Dog, his treat ... you'd be there! Tell your stories somewhere else, missy!
    Oh god yeah I'd be there. In a heartbeat. That is, if I didn't faint first.
    "Please don't use the words Stiff and Inge in the same sentence, Purple may explode, and that wouldn't be good. She's nice." --DennisDubay

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Consumer reports ranked the dogs... #1 Hebrew National, #2 Nathans Skinless.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Both of those are outstanding.

Grilling should produce a better product that steaming.

Hmmm. There may be other factors at play here.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

shabba4detroit is offline MotownSports Fan

IIRC, the hot dog at Comerica is a Ball Park Frank. It is grilled at the concession stand and steamed in the vendors' yellow boxes. I prefer it from the vendor, although I find the plastic bag they serve the dog in to be both unattractive and inconvienent. The Hebrew National Kosher Dog is an excellent upgrade. Again, I believe they are grilled at the stand and steamed in the vendors' red boxes -- although I am less certain than I am about the Ball Park Frank.

However, if you are going to stand in line for a hot dog, you may as well get a Chicago Dog from the stand in the Big Cat Court. A natural casing dog, served in a poppy seed roll, it is topped with peppers, onion, relish, tomato, a pickle spear and celery salt. This dog is head-and-shoulders better than the ****** excuse for a Chicago Dog that's served in Wrigley Field.
    ‎"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

William Earnest Harwell (1918-2010), from the Song of Solomon.

Lbh24 is offline MotownSports Fan

My friend got me on the Hebrew National bandwagon this year, and I'm in full agreement that it's a quality hot dog.

I'll be trying the Chicago dog on July 20.
    2009 Piston: Rip Hamilton - Guard
    2010 Adopt-A-Tiger: Lloyd McClendon

shabba4detroit is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lbh24 View Post
    My friend got me on the Hebrew National bandwagon this year, and I'm in full agreement that it's a quality hot dog.

I'll be trying the Chicago dog on July 20.
    Fortunately, my kids don't like the Hebrew National yet. At five bucks a dog, that would add up real quick ... my 5 year old, she'll usually eat two.
    ‎"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

William Earnest Harwell (1918-2010), from the Song of Solomon.

Commish is offline MotownSports Fan

I think I had my first and last Comerica hot dog on my first visit to the park. Since then, I always make a beeline towards the italian sausage stand, where they're grilling your future meal right in front of you.
    CLARK GRIFFITH, Owner of the Washington Senators, on his team's roster: "Fans like home runs, and we have assembled a pitching staff to please our fans."

Sparks4Ever is offline MotownSports Fan

A really dislike all beef dogs, so I'm not a Hebrew National fan. Koegel Vienna's are great, but a little small to serve at the ballpark. Maybe they could serve Koegel Frankfurters, which are about a 1/4 pound each.

I recommend hitting the Big Boy stand at the game and getting a Super Big Boy or Slim Jim.
    All Time AAT: Steve Sparks

BFK
    BFK is offline MotownSports Fan

I stick to the Hebrew National dog, Pizza if there's a good crowd and they're moving, Kielbasa, and those smokin' hot fries with a good shot of vinegar. The Chicago style dogs are good, too.

Billee, I got into it pretty good with one of the concession staff when I refused to take a drawer dog and demanded one off of the grill. The woman was such a b!tch about it that I spoke with her supe. And when I did get what I wanted, I watched her like a hawk when she bunned that dog. Didn't need no goobers.

BTW, I haven't bought a dog in the seats since the 90-degree day at Tiger Staium when I watched big drops of sweat roll off a vendors nose and fall into the box as he bent over it to pull out a dog. No thanks.
    I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?
    -Leo Durocher

Canon Fodder is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BFK View Post
    BTW, I haven't bought a dog in the seats since the 90-degree day at Tiger Staium when I watched big drops of sweat roll off a vendors nose and fall into the box as he bent over it to pull out a dog. No thanks.
    Mmmmmm. Sweaty-salty dogs. Tasty.
    "Canon Fodder may be illogically extreme but at least he's consistent."--dt35456884, May 8th, 2006

THECATMAC is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BFK View Post

Funny thing, I seen A Beer vendor on July the 4th drip a hunk of sweat off his nose, it ALMOST went in the beer he was pouring.............
    2014 Adopt A Tiger---TORII HUNTER
    Biggest umpire blunder...ever.....Jim Joyce.......6-2-2010
    "THECATMAC"....ALSO KNOWN AS..."THE NACHO GUY"!!!

Ranger is offline MotownSports Fan

Down here in Columbus they have "Dime a Dog" night for their AAA team the Clippers. Those were the worst hot dogs I've ever had and I think I got sick from them.

But you still can't beat paying $0.50 for dinner.
    This is not a 3-7 Michigan team...it is an 8-2 team without a QB.
    --Ingefanclub

eastside billee is offline MotownSports Fan

A really dislike all beef dogs, so I'm not a Hebrew National fan.
    I'm totally with you on this one Sparks. I like a good ol pig snout dog. Although all beef are edible, they're not what I like in a dog.

I hate hot dogs in anything other than a plain ol bun - no bakery buns, no poppy seed buns.......I'm hippy-fied not yuppy-fied.

Billee, I got into it pretty good with one of the concession staff when I refused to take a drawer dog and demanded one off of the grill. The woman was such a b!tch about it that I spoke with her supe.
    Right on BFK.. Good for you man. You probably got the best dog served in the house that day!

BTW, I haven't bought a dog in the seats since the 90-degree day at Tiger Staium when I watched big drops of sweat roll off a vendors nose and fall into the box as he bent over it to pull out a dog.
    Now THIS is disgusting! I think I'm gonna watch my vendors from hereon!

I don't know if I ever told any of you this, but my plan when I retire (which could be any day, month or year now) is to move to Florida and open me up
    a coney stand. My goal is to make the perfect coney. My wife thinks I'm nuts. She is a cook for a living and she makes one dang good coney - of course to my specifications. The only ingredient I'm lacking is the perfect chili. I don't like most of the coney chili's out there. One I'd consider using is the chili they use at Culver's. Not the coney sauce....but the bowled chili.
    Anyway, I have other secrets to my perfect coney.
    we only part to meet again vt BRIAN BLUHM vt

tigerfanfromchicago is offline MotownSports Fan

I got a hot dog from a vendor at Comerica back in 2003, and it was terrible. I got one from the concession stand last year, and it wasn't bad. The ones at US Cellular aren't too bad, and the ones at the Untied Center are usually pretty good.
    2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Rajai Davis

tigerfanfromchicago is offline MotownSports Fan

While we're on the topic of hot dogs, in Detroit, why do they call a chili dog a Coney Island? A hot dog on Coney Island is nothing like that.
    2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Rajai Davis

Probably because the name of the restaurant is a Coney Island. Chili dogs are usually a staple of Coney Islands, so they probably just started calling them that. Just my guess.

Anthony is offline MotownSports Fan
    Harrison Township, Michigan, United States

Quote Originally Posted by zachcadillac View Post
    The Hebrew National dogs are pretty awesome. If you're eating the other brand, that's probably why they suck.
    I laughed at my cousin when he told me this.
    I then went on to have one Hebrew and one regular. Hebrew blew them out of the water.
    Now on to a more interesting post
    Follow me on twitter @anthonyg788