Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Gregg Henson leaves WDFN

Did anybody get any inside information on this? I heard about it on WRIF, someone called in about it. Jamie talked about it at the beginning of the show then got pretty emotional so they cut into ESPN programming for a while. Another guy called in to say he's going to WXYT, which would make him a huge hypocrite since he prided himself on being independant of the "home team". He always bashed XYT for being homers. If true then $$ talks.....

eastside billee is offline MotownSports Fan

Default henson

I hope Henson leaves town -- he's a classless piece of crap....
    xyt doesn't need him, and neither doesn't anybody else.
    we only part to meet again vt BRIAN BLUHM vt

OldTimey is offline Released

I liked Henson. Of course I like DFN more than most people. WXYT is a piece of crap so if he is that bad, then XYT does deserve him.

Mattingly70 is offline Released

When I first moved to Royal Oak I hated Henson, but he began to grow on me and when I moved away he and Jamie were sorely missed.

DetroitFolly is offline MotownSports Fan

My "beef" with Henson is that he was the man primarily responsible for the juvenile stance taken by WDFN. The station relies too heavily on jokes about oral sex, breasts, and "cojones."

I always had the feeling that I was once again sitting in the middle school locker room when I listened to Henson. He was the guy that always joked about sex, but wasn't actually getting anything.
    VT

I agree with you 100%. Except for Stoney and Wojo, the station has turned into "Frat Boy" radio. I guess it works for them, but I don't listen much. The programs are too predictable.

Jamie and Gregg would flip a coin to decide which side of the "issue of hte day" each one had to take.

I do like Greg Brady's show when he's on. He's not an idiot like most of the others. Sean Beligian is annoying. He always has to throw out how much hockey he knows. Mention the Montreal Canadians and suddenly he's bringing up names from the 70s to show off his knowledge.

The funny thing is, even NON hockey fans can name some of those 70's Canadien stars...

Guys I don't mind on WDFN include Jamie Samuelson. I have met him a couple of times at press events (a while ago, he probably wouldn't even remember) and he seemed like a decent enough guy. Greg Brady seems pretty cool, too.

With Henson leaving, I wonder how long until Stoney & Wojo find their way to WXYT? I could see them doing a show leading into "the locker room" or even taking over for Damon Perry.
    VT

Jamie is a good one.

Stoney and Wojo just signed a 3 year deal with DFN. I guess WXYT made a huge push for them but in the end they decided to stay loyal.

DF, how much do you think guys like that make? What about the top radio guys in general? I know Jim Harper makes over a million, along with **** Purtan. What about someone like Drew and Mike? Mid Six Figures?

I know that Drew makes more than Mike...

I think Drew makes about a mil a year. He should, since that's what the market will bear, and that's what top rated morning talent (in commercial radio ;) ) makes these days in a major market.

Purtan makes something like 2.5 mil.

I am not sure about Stoney et al...Sports radio is pretty competetive, but the stations don't get big numbers. I haven't seen what kind of dough they make.
    VT

Kylie and Booms on Fox Sports Radio 1310!

I really don't think WDFN is that big a frat boy radio station. I have heard that complaint before. They do it sometimes but taht's what's going to happen when you get a bunch of guys together. I know the WDET crowd like to pretend that they're just so above all of that so every time it happens it's just so appalling. But I think they mostly stick to sports and issues.

BFK
    BFK is offline MotownSports Fan

I rarely listen to morning radio, period. The 'crotch/boobs/fart/who can we humiliate today' format that seems to be universal on the FM tuner doesn't appeal to me.

I might listen to WJR from 7:30 to 8 if Paul W is interviewing someone I'm interested in, and to hear Frank Beckmans sportscast.

Otherwise, I listen to CD's.
    I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?
    -Leo Durocher

He is going to XYT by the way

http://www.detnews.com/2002/sports/0...e02-602382.htm

Before anyone says it, this does not make Henson a hyposcrite.

He was a station manager of a station who's brand image was the young, hip, alternative. That was his target market. That's tjhe listeners he wanted to attract. So that's how he marketed them. It doesn't mean he personally believed it.

I work in advertising and I sell products I hate all the time. I even say that they are the best products. Like I used to work on Steak and Ale. You have a client, you find a way to market that client liek they want to .

WDFN found that it's listeners liked to think that they were the cutting edge. So he marketed it that way.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Occasionally I will listen to sports radio if I want to keep up on a big story going on that day since they have the quickest access to the story most often, but that's about it. It really adds nothing to the athletic world for the most part. I find it boring and - like many said here - filled with the world of frat jokes. Idiotic promos using stupid sixth-grade joke (I wonder what Tina is doing these days for WDFN) and people trying to stir controversy when often times there isn't any.

I hate Soney and Wojo. They seem to be on the most when I do flip through stations (I think they are on 2-6 or something like that). They spend half their show with the sixth-grade jokes another 25 percent with stupid games and maybe 25 percent with actual legit talk. Thinking about it, I think I'm being really overly generous to them.

People like Jim Rome. Get rid of them. I can listen for about five minutes and then I have to change the station.

I think Jim Rome is funny. I like pretty much all talk radio. I think it's fun to listen to except Mitch Albom. I find DFN talks about hot sports topice when there are some .But there aren't always pressing issues that you can spend three hours on.

You make a good point on it being his job to run the station the way he's told to do but I think he had a large part in determining that strategy. He would rip on them for their what he called their lack of objectivity. I don't think he did it just because it was good business but because he thought it was shallow to be homers. He was that way before XYT changed to all sports format.

I didn't read the article yet because I read the Detroit News at lunchtime so maybe it's addressed in there.

Mattingly70 is offline Released

Rome needs to drop the whole "jungle/clone" bs and stick to what he does best, which is interviewing.

Whoever mentioned Kylie and Booms-- I can't stand these two. They try to take sports issues and turn them into a politcal--Conservative v. Liberal-- argument. Its forced and the agruments are therefore contrived to fit into their political molds.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Jim Rome is occasionaly entertaining to me, but the clones rock.
    VT Twitter

I love the smell of Red Bull in the morning.

I didn't like Rome at first but I had to drive to Columbus one day and he was all I could find. After that I was hooked. The emails are great. His commentaries are kind of lame but when the clones get going it's hilarious.

Todd is offline MotownSports Fan

Dont you guys get ESPN radio down there, Kornheiser and Dan patrick have very entertaining shows and Patrick usually gets a lot of big name guest on his show.
    I have No agenda in the Morning

Actually, OldTimey...

I don't think I am above all of that stuff. I just don't appreciate it. It's not my kind of humor. I don't think its funny, that's all.
    VT

Originally posted by OldTimey
    I work in advertising and I sell products I hate all the time. I even say that they are the best products. Like I used to work on Steak and Ale. You have a client, you find a way to market that client liek they want to .

What's wrong with Steak and Ale? I like Steak and Ale. Hey, maybe I'll go to Steak and Ale this weekend! They have some good food.

Of course, it's no Casa Bella (they serve the best filet mignon in South Florida) but then again nobody here else knows about Casa Bella, because it's a local joint. What, a chain restaurant is automatically dismissed? I suppose Outback is trash food too, because it's mass-marketed? (Expected reply: No, it's trash food because it sucks.)

vasteras is offline MotownSports Fan

Oblong, I'm with you. Jim Rome was very annoying at first, but now I love his show. It's just like he says, give it a couple weeks and you'll probably like it. I could do without the clone speak, but oh well. He can be hilarious. His interviewing skills aren't the best, but I don't really care.

I have never been a big Gregg Henson fan, largely because I think he just takes whatever stance would best fit his radio personality on each issue. I don't even turn on XYT unless I'm listening to a game, so I am hoping we don't end back up with one radio station (that being 1270)

The guys I dislike at WDFN are Brandon Tierney and Mark Spindler. I like Brady, Jamie and Baligian the best. I have been "friends" with Sean for a while, exchanging countless emails and stuff. I know what you are saying, Oblong, about his hockey comments, but he really is just a huge hockey nerd. I don't think he is trying to impress anybody. He just loves to talk about that stuff.
    You're out of your element.

My favorite meal in terms of eating out is an Outback special, ceasar salad, their shrimp, and a baked potato. I'm a picky steak eater and they make that one just right for me.

One thing it is not is Australian.

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

Wow, Drew makes a mil a year! And CBC won't give Ron Maclean
    $700,000 Canadian. Something seems out of balance there.
    I like Stoney and Wojo, but the Lockeroom on WXYT is a better sports talk show.
    I had heard that WXYT wanted to get Stoney and Wojo for the morning show so they could drop Don Imus. Now that S $ W decided not to move , I wonder if thats why WXYT went after Henson.

I think the steaks at Outback have zero flavor. In general, no, I don't like chain restaurants. I find that you can get better food for the same price if you look.

Also, The Locker Room is crap. I don't need three has-beens with medicore talent talking down to me for three hours. They are the least compelling sports talk hosts I have ever heard.
    Last edited by OldTimey; 10-02-2002 at 11:31 PM.

eastside billee is offline MotownSports Fan

Default xyt

First off, Outback is my favorite steak - but I do like others.
    2ndly - Jim Rome is ok hen he's interviewing sports figures....but this clone call-in stuff is so annoying...it ruins the whole show.

Wxyt is such a better sports station than the fan -- the Fan has turned into a College Sports only station. I learned to hate Gregg Henson because of his take on baseball....he runs baseball down consistently, and acts like nobody else likes baseball either -- that's why I stopped listening to the Fan - no baseball talk compared to the other sports.
    we only part to meet again vt BRIAN BLUHM vt

Jeff is offline MotownSports Fan

From Greggs website:

"As most of you know, on Monday I resigned my position with Sports Radio 1130, The Fan.

I've received many inquiries as to why, etc. and I want to take
    the time to let you know what is up.

This isn't a contentious situation with myself, the WDFN staff or Clear Channel Communications. After 8 years at WDFN I simply needed a change and a new challenge. I certainly will miss the many friends that I made at Sports Radio 1130, The Fan. I sincerely appreciate the support and the patronage. It has been a great run. I will never forget the wacky *** time spent at WDFN and look forward to getting back in the game soon.

Keep an eye on this site, I will update you regularly."

If you have any questions, please e-mail me."