Mr.TaterSalad is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Doug Goes Line Dancing on 93.1 FM (Variety Hits to Country)

For those who missed Cumeless Media's uneventful format change, jockless, variety hits station 93.1 Doug FM flipped formats to country as 93.1 Nash FM. Nash FM if you're wondering is Cumeless Media's canned imaging that started in New York City and is expected to expand to country stations across their platform. Cumeless also owns the W4 Country call sign and name but chose not to use it for one reason or another in Detroit and left it in Ann Arbor.

Those of you who remember, Clear Channel flipped 106.7 to the Fox a few years ago and said it was because that was "what listeners chose", yeah sure. The Fox failed miserably against 99.5 WYCD because of a terrible air-staff, horrendous imaging and little promotion. With the new 93.1 Nash FM, I expect syndicated jocks in all but one or two dayparts, no live promotion and vanilla imaging. I also expect 99.5 and their team to wipe the floor just as eaisly against Cumeless challenger Nash FM.

WDRQ's 'Doug-FM' flips to country with new 'Nash FM 93.1' format

From The Detroit News: WDRQ's 'Doug-FM' flips to country with new 'Nash FM 93.1' format | The Detroit News

“Doug-FM” listeners got a jolt of twang this morning instead of the usual adult alternative music, as Cumulus Media’s “Adult Hits” WDRQ-FM flipped to country at 9:31 a.m.

The new format is called “Nash FM 93.1” — that’s “Nash” for Nashville, not Nash Rambler — and they’re playing country Christmas music over the holidays, with the real core country format coming Jan. 1, according to All Access.

Cumulus Media co-chief operating officer John Dickey told All Access that an announcement about staffing and specifics about the Nash brand’s programming will come next week.

There is speculation that the new “Nash FM 93.1” will air Cumulus’ syndicated “Nash Night Live with Cody Allan” and “America’s Morning Show” in the New Year.

WDRQ-FM has been Doug-FM since 2005.

From The Detroit News: WDRQ's 'Doug-FM' flips to country with new 'Nash FM 93.1' format | The Detroit News
    Who knew after all these years Joe Dumars was really playing a dual role as both himself and his alter-ego Ken Holland.

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

We were surprised. We have had Doug FM on in the front part of the office where clients come in for years. (In the back we have satellite) It was a nice background station. Non-controversial, non-interuptive, not political or sports centered, nobody complained they didn't like the station. No inane blather from an on air personality trying to be funny. It was perfect white noise. All of a sudden, it probably took about half an hour to 45 minutes before we noticed, it was country song after country song. We had to change to WCSX. God, I hate Doug Podell. KC is so bland he makes Mario Impemba sound exciting.

I was hoping it was temporary, but, apparently not.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

chasfh is online now MotownSports Fan

Now three out of four of the rock stations of my childhood have gone twang. Only one left ...

EDIT: I guess WDRQ wasn't always a "rock station" in the 70s, per se, but they were sometimes.
    Last edited by chasfh; 12-15-2013 at 11:01 AM.

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    We were surprised. We have had Doug FM on in the front part of the office where clients come in for years. (In the back we have satellite) It was a nice background station. Non-controversial, non-interuptive, not political or sports centered, nobody complained they didn't like the station. No inane blather from an on air personality trying to be funny. It was perfect white noise. All of a sudden, it probably took about half an hour to 45 minutes before we noticed, it was country song after country song. We had to change to WCSX. God, I hate Doug Podell. KC is so bland he makes Mario Impemba sound exciting.

I was hoping it was temporary, but, apparently not.
    KC is retiring soon.

As far as Nash goes, it continues to boggle my mind why companies decide to go with the jockless formats & then wonder why those stations don't encourage an engaged fan base. Yes, good jocks cost money. So does coaching & talent development. However those expenditures can pay off by increasing TSL and encouraging an audience of not just listeners, but disciples (so to speak).
    All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infant’s life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

I can honestly say that I never listen to terrestrial radio for music anymore.
    97.1 and NPR (both local WDET and live stream from WBUR and WHYY) is what I mostly listen to nowadays.
    On those rare occasions I feel like listening to music, I listen to MP3s from my iTunes playlists.
    There was a time that I lived for local radio. Used to get very pumped about format changes, etc.
    The internet has ruined me.
    "I'm disabled"

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

Yeah I don't either.... other than sports. A big reason is the jam channel on sirius. I was about to let mine cancel until I discovered it. So its just that for me.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Piss off, Doug FM. The station was created to fire an entire staff of people and put on an automated station. So I always hated it because I used to work there and about 25 of my friends lost their jobs because of Doug FM. Maybe Cumulus hires some local people for Nash FM. I am no fan of country music, but having people employed is better than Doug FM.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

I always found that strange when they started giving stations names like "Doug".
    I mean...WTF?
    "I'm disabled"

Lousluggage is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm still reeling from the loss of WFNX and WBCN, tbh. I hope WEQX manages to stay around....
    This spot, and a place in my heart, is reserved for TC.

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

And then you travel to another city and there's a stan fm or Fred fm. Same format. I'm not sure we'll ever have the same radio as we did. Just not sustainable I guess. People are in too much control of their listening and viewing options that the second they come across something they don't want to watch or listen to whether its a commercial or show or song not of their taste they switch. We no longer have the appetite to be patient. Its a catch 22 in some ways. TV is not the same but look at all the great shows we've had on cable? Thanks to sirius I've come across bands I never woild have otherwise. Specialization has come at a cost but also allows us to find what we want. I can catch catch the artist on my display then search Pandora and youtube ro listen to more instead of waiting for a dj to play it.

shabba4detroit is offline MotownSports Fan

I listened to Doug all the time. It was a nice choice when more than one person was in the car, and we wanted music. Not gonna listen to country. It's been ****** twang-pop for the better part of a decade, with one hat just as bland as the other. (Fifteen years ago, country would have been my first choice.)
    ‎"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

William Earnest Harwell (1918-2010), from the Song of Solomon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lousluggage View Post
    I'm still reeling from the loss of WFNX and WBCN, tbh. I hope WEQX manages to stay around....
    Yeah. Don't get me started. How a company can absolutely destroy an icon like WBCN just shows you how clueless the people that "run" the business are. WFNX just makes me cringe, although I do understand that The Phoenix they operated it at a loss for many years before finally giving up. But they had to sell it to evil. Who knows what the future hold for WEQX, but the one thing it has going for it is it has a weaker signal that is not appealing to the big companies. I don't think Brooks' wife is looking to sell it anytime soon. Brooks may have been a bit off-kilter (he mellowed the last decade) but he actually cared about his station. But even Doug Balogh (who is a great guy) had to sell 97X and retire.

Lou, I would suggest you listen to The Current out of Minneapolis. It's a wonderful station if you liked FNX and BCN. You can listen online and on your smartphone via Tune In Radio. And one thing about the Current that makes it wonderful is that it's run by musicheads that aren't music snobs or elitist. I wish I worked there and if I could start a radio station in Ann Arbor I would do a very similar station. And you might like andhow.fm out of New Zealand. Yeah, a little different, but enjoyable. Not that same old, same old.

And to say radio is not sustainable is not correct. It takes effort and it takes trust. But it must be local. There are a few stations out there that actually still have full air staffs and diverse and expansive playlists......most of them are non-comm, but the well-run ones are doing pretty well right now. Might be the only radio stations that don't treat their listeners like they are stupid.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post

Lou, I would suggest you listen to The Current out of Minneapolis. It's a wonderful station if you liked FNX and BCN. You can listen online and on your smartphone via Tune In Radio. And one thing about the Current that makes it wonderful is that it's run by musicheads that aren't music snobs or elitist. I wish I worked there and if I could start a radio station in Ann Arbor I would do a very similar station. And you might like andhow.fm out of New Zealand. Yeah, a little different, but enjoyable. Not that same old, same old.

I wish the people that run WUOM would take a lesson or two from KNOW. A superior service all the way around than Michigan Radio.
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

89x is the next to go.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

I think The Rose and The Power Pig are now defunct down here. As far as I know we don't have any stations with first names. But then I seldom listen to music in the daytime.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    I always found that strange when they started giving stations names like "Doug".
    I mean...WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    And then you travel to another city and there's a stan fm or Fred fm. Same format. I'm not sure we'll ever have the same radio as we did. Just not sustainable I guess. People are in too much control of their listening and viewing options that the second they come across something they don't want to watch or listen to whether its a commercial or show or song not of their taste they switch. We no longer have the appetite to be patient. Its a catch 22 in some ways. TV is not the same but look at all the great shows we've had on cable? Thanks to sirius I've come across bands I never woild have otherwise. Specialization has come at a cost but also allows us to find what we want. I can catch catch the artist on my display then search Pandora and youtube ro listen to more instead of waiting for a dj to play it.
    Everything in radio is plagiarized. It all started with a station called Jack-FM. A consultant deemed it was a way to identify your brand as a "friend", all the while forgetting that there weren't any jocks on there to forge a relationship with. The station had some initial success, & the industry bit on it. Because of that we have lost the training ground for talent - & companies do this because it's cheap. Ugh.
    All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infant’s life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Out here it's my friend TomFM
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Æ

chasfh is online now MotownSports Fan

89x is the next to go.
    I remember what a breath of fresh air 89X was when it first came on part time, in 1990 I think? We were basically OD'ing on diagonal zipper bands, hair bands, arena bands and corporate girl-targeted pop, and 89X and its ilk (inlcuding MTV's 120 Minutes show) was exactly the kick-in-the-balls tonic pop music needed at the time. "Modern rock", they called it. I still call it that as the genre for these songs on my iPod.

I moved from Detroit on New Year's Day 1992 and I've missed 89X ever since. At least until I abandoned broadcast radio altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    I remember what a breath of fresh air 89X was when it first came on part time, in 1990 I think? We were basically OD'ing on diagonal zipper bands, hair bands, arena bands and corporate girl-targeted pop, and 89X and its ilk (inlcuding MTV's 120 Minutes show) was exactly the kick-in-the-balls tonic pop music needed at the time. "Modern rock", they called it. I still call it that as the genre for these songs on my iPod.

I moved from Detroit on New Year's Day 1992 and I've missed 89X ever since. At least until I abandoned broadcast radio altogether.

Since Dave and Chuck left they have nosedived in the ratings and that's even in Windsor. Their cume has been cut in half in two years. That is horrible.

The problem with 89X is they are stuck in either the 90s or with that corporate rock since then that was labeled alternative, but has always been mainstream. The only chance they'd really have to goose their ratings a bit would be to ad an influx of fresh indie music that is generating buzz but not getting played elsewhere. There is a ton of it out there. Great music that is absolutely perfect for the radio, that mainstream radio is ignoring. It's the basis for my Under The Radar Radio show. They really need to shift to that while still fortifying it with music from their 90s heyday. They came along by playing music that commercial radio wasn't playing - they should do it again. There are so many artists and bands that have big followings and NO radio exposure. Sad to me that ****in' Chili's has a better mix of music than any radio station.

By the way, I am going to be programming a full-time internet channel that is "alternative" When I get done putting it together I will give you the address - it's basically like Under The Radar Radio fulltime - and it's what 89X should do.

If I was given full control over a music radio station in Detroit - I'd clean up. It ain't rocket science.

pfife is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post

Trust me. You haven't missed anything. It ruled in the early to mid 90s. Late 90s it just became commercialized junk, not at all what it was in the mid-90s.

My opinion, anyways.

Since Dave and Chuck left they have nosedived in the ratings and that's even in Windsor. Their cume has been cut in half in two years. That is horrible.

The problem with 89X is they are stuck in either the 90s or with that corporate rock since then that was labeled alternative, but has always been mainstream. The only chance they'd really have to goose their ratings a bit would be to ad an influx of fresh indie music that is generating buzz but not getting played elsewhere. There is a ton of it out there. Great music that is absolutely perfect for the radio, that mainstream radio is ignoring. It's the basis for my Under The Radar Radio show. They really need to shift to that while still fortifying it with music from their 90s heyday. They came along by playing music that commercial radio wasn't playing - they should do it again. There are so many artists and bands that have big followings and NO radio exposure. Sad to me that ****in' Chili's has a better mix of music than any radio station.

By the way, I am going to be programming a full-time internet channel that is "alternative" When I get done putting it together I will give you the address - it's basically like Under The Radar Radio fulltime - and it's what 89X should do.

If I was given full control over a music radio station in Detroit - I'd clean up. It ain't rocket science.
    Well Stated, MCS, that is my opinion of 89x too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I wish the people that run WUOM would take a lesson or two from KNOW. A superior service all the way around than Michigan Radio.
    WEMU >>> WUOM, IMO. Except for Friday at 10am.