Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    AlaskanTigersFan is offline MotownSports Fan

Default 2009 Draft Signing Thread

Here's where we can keep up on which draft picks sign with the Tigers. (For those who dont wanna dig through the 2009 Draft thread.)

Bold indicates player has signed with the Tigers.

1 Jacob Turner RHP
    2 Andrew Oliver LHP
    3 Wade Gaynor 3B
    4 Edwin Gomez SS
    5 Austin Wood LHP
    6 Daniel Fields SS
    7 Jamie Johnson CF
    8 Craig Fritsch RHP
    9 John Murrian C
    10 Christopher Sedon 2B
    11 Adam Wilk LHP
    12 Matthew Thomson RHP
    13 Michael Rockett CF
    14 Kevan Hess RHP
    15 Mark Appel RHP
    16 Kenny Faulk LHP
    17 Nathan Newman RHP
    18 Eric Roof C
    19 Rawley Bishop 3B
    20 James Gulliver SS
    21 Giovanni Soto LHP
    22 Matthew Mansilla CF
    23 Cory Hamilton RHP
    24 Wade Kapteyn RHP
    25 Almon "Victor" Roache RF
    26 Edgar Corcino 3B
    27 Patrick McKenna SS
    28 Tobin Mateychick RHP
    29 Michael Morrison RHP
    30 James Robbins 1B
    31 Andrew Walter RHP
    32 Parker Markel RHP
    33 Cody Keefer CF
    34 Derek Kline RHP
    35 Patrick Biondi CF
    36 Benjamin Crumpton SS
    37 Daniel Canela C
    38 Tarran Senay OF
    39 Chad Duling SS
    40 Ben Bechtol C
    41 Larry Balkwill C
    42 Nicholas Avila RHP
    43 Andrew Allen 1B
    44 Charles Markson RF
    45 James Brennan RF
    46 Nathan Goro 3B
    47 Kevin Chambers LHP
    48 Jake Porcello RHP
    49 Cameron Giannini RHP
    50 Nicholas Rosthenhausler LF

Tigers Select 50 Players During 2009 MLB First-Year Player Draft
    Last edited by AlaskanTigersFan; 08-18-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    2009 Adopt-A-Tiger = Jared Gayhart

Cult of Guillen is offline Registered User

good idea. hopefully we'll start populating this list soon, though I suspect it will take awhile to get many of them in the fold.

Microline133 is offline MotownSports Fan

Several players have agreed to terms already -- with more agreeing over the weekend. We'll have some listed in the transaction blog later today.....
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

apabruce is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Cult of Guillen
    Closing in on 1,000 QP (quality posts).
    If quality posts are the standard, my count is less than 100. Fortunately, it's not [the standard].
    Bruce

Mammals suck.

Mark can you post a link to the blog so I can try and update this thread from time to time?

TStar is offline MotownSports Fan

Tigers have agreed to terms with LHP Kenny Faulk (16th round), C Eric Roof (18th round), and SS Patrick McKenna (27th round) per TigsTown Transaction Blog
    AAT: Clete Thomas ('09), Patrick Leyland ('10)

Carpe Diem!!!

tigermojo is offline MotownSports Fan

Can we make this one a sticky?

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Is this it? We only signed three guys so far?
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Good start so far. I like what I've heard of Gaynor. Hopefully he wont be a 2nd Ron Bourquin.

TonyJM is offline MotownSports Fan

Nothing too surprising yet, which makes sense given how early it is.

Mark -- is Thomson going to be a longer negotiation?

Yes, I'd expect Thompson to take a little while, and I'll be surprised if he signs for slot.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Which players did the Tigers pick knowing they would be tough signs but yet be great talents if we could sign them? I know OU mentioned that we could have an extremely good class if we signed a few of them, but he didn't elaborate which players specifically.

Big Toe is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm no expert, but I know Appel and Fritsch qualify. Mateychick and Robbins probably also, though to a lesser extent. Oh, and Fields is the most obvious one.

I'm sure OU and Micro can probably give more complete answers, but that's a start.
    Last edited by Big Toe; 06-16-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Guys like Fields (he will sign), Appel, Robbins, Senay, Keefer, and a few others would all be very nice gets.

Fritsch and Thompson would also be good guys to get in the fold, as they have talent, but coming off tough junior years, they may be tough to sign. Fritsch is playing in the Cape Cod League, so he'll be worth watching.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

That's great news about Fields. I figured it'd happen since they used a relatively high pick on him, but to get some confirmation is great.

What round talent do you think he is if everyone considered him signable? Second?

Depending on the team, probably a supplemental or second round guy.

I should caution, that is my opinion that he will sign, not a fact from someone in his camp.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Understood. You've observed these things closely for a while, so that's still pretty encouraging to me.

Thanks for the post. Major kudos for Ilitch if he's able to bring most of the big fish from this draft into the fold.

Dunkin Darvin is offline MotownSports Fan

If they get Gomez, Gaynor, Fields and, Johnson to all sign I'd be really excited. Add two big time (in my opinion) pitching prospects in Turner and Oliver, a guy that was a really good college reliever and some really nice position players like those four...I'd be really happy with this draft and it could go along way in building back up the system.

Gaynor is already signed, Johnson is close to signing, and I'll be shocked if Gomez doesn't sign.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

sportz4life is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin Darvin View Post
    If they get Gomez, Gaynor, Fields and, Johnson to all sign I'd be really excited. Add two big time (in my opinion) pitching prospects in Turner and Oliver, a guy that was a really good college reliever and some really nice position players like those four...I'd be really happy with this draft and it could go along way in building back up the system.
    Ill be flabbergasted if they sign Fields..he wants >1MM ans I dont see them paying that much.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    Ill be flabbergasted if they sign Fields..he wants >1MM ans I dont see them paying that much.
    Maybe so, but by virtue of taking him in the 6th round, you have to believe the organization believes they have a good chance to sign him. Maybe that's because they think his >$1MM ask is soft and he will negotiate down from that. Or maybe that means they are prepared to meet that demand if they have to. But either way, they probably think they can get him his to sign.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    Maybe so, but by virtue of taking him in the 6th round, you have to believe the organization believes they have a good chance to sign him. Maybe that's because they think his >$1MM ask is soft and he will negotiate down from that. Or maybe that means they are prepared to meet that demand if they have to. But either way, they probably think they can get him his to sign.
    Philly offered him close to 1.5MM he turned that down to be the 77th pick..ask Mark, Paul and OU..discount..think again..

Quote Originally Posted by Microline133 View Post
    Gaynor is already signed, Johnson is close to signing, and I'll be shocked if Gomez doesn't sign.
    All good news.

Philly offered him close to 1.5MM he turned that down to be the 77th pick..ask Mark, Paul and OU..discount..think again..
    I have a buddy pretty close to the UofM team, he seems to think Fields will end up at UofM. So you're right...its going to take a lot to get him.

I have no idea whether or not there will be a discount, but I'm guessing Detroit made it's pitch before selecting him (just like Philly did, and Detroit did last year with Crosby).

-Tony

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJM View Post
    I have no idea whether or not there will be a discount, but I'm guessing Detroit made it's pitch before selecting him (just like Philly did, and Detroit did last year with Crosby).

-Tony
    Dont disagree..have always know it wold be a big number, I know the family well..if Mr. I wants to pay them..great..just dont see the value. He will not stay at SS..he is likely an OF..

Dont disagree..have always know it wold be a big number, I know the family well..if Mr. I wants to pay them..great..just dont see the value. He will not stay at SS..he is likely an OF..

BA was saying the move could be to 3B. If the bat plays well, I'm alright with getting a guy they'd to move. That being said, I have absolutely no idea how much he's worth, as I can't evaluate lower-level baseball skills and HS numbers provide almost no information. Regardless, I'm always excited the see the organization shell out money in the draft, as I take that investment to mean the club believes the player has substantial potential.

-Tony

OU98 is offline MotownSports Fan

Jamie Johnson (7) signs for $125,000.

West Ouachita product signs contract with Detroit Tigers | thenewsstar.com | The News Star

West Ouachita product signs contract with Detroit Tigers

By Krysten Oliphant • koliphant@thenewsstar.com • June 17, 2009

SWARTZ — Jamie Johnson had a Detroit Tigers hat when he was a kid, but he never really had a favorite team.

Now the former West Ouachita standout will be one of the Tigers’ biggest fans.

Johnson signed a one-year contract with Detroit worth $125,000 plus incentives Tuesday at his parents’ home in Swartz, with family, friends and former coaches in attendance.

And today the former Oklahoma centerfielder will head to Oneonta, NY, to play for the Tigers’ short-season Single A affiliate in the New York-Penn League.

“My advisor told me Sunday that it would probably be at least the weekend before I left,” Johnson said. “Then last night, Detroit called me and said, ‘Here’s your offer. We’re coming down tomorrow, and you fly out the next day.’ It was just like, ‘Whoa, that happened all at once.’”

Johnson was selected in the seventh round with the 210th pick in the 2009 MLB First-Year Player Draft after being selected in the 50th round out of high school. He played one year at Texarkana Community College before joining the Sooners.

Chris Wimmer, Detroit’s Mid-West area scout, has been watching Johnson play at Oklahoma for two years and said he was excited to finally sign the outfielder.

Wimmer said he liked Johnson’s speed in the outfield and in baserunning, was impressed by his arm and liked his at-bats.

“He’s a blue collar, scrappy player, and you know what you’re going to get from him,” Wimmer said. “What a pro manager likes is a guy that’s going to be consistent. You’ve got to separate yourself because the talent pool sort of shrinks up, and a guy that can put it all together and be consistent from day to day is really what they’re looking for.”

Mitch Thomas, Johnson’s former coach at West Ouachita, said he’s been extremely proud of Johnson’s career so far and continues to be impressed with him.He said there’s no question why the Tigers would want to sign him and get him started.

“He’s as good a hitter as has been here, and he’s probably one of the best hitters I’ve ever coached,” Thomas said. “All the work he’s put in, and you see it pay off for them, it’s exciting.”

Johnson’s schedule will be filled with games as soon as he gets to Oneonta, so he said he was trying to soak up the last of life at home before he left.

Wimmer said getting Johnson to the minors as quickly as possible is crucial in getting him settled in. And while Johnson said he’s a little nervous, he’s also anxious to get started.

“Them showing that they like me that much,” he said, “makes me want to go out and play harder to show that all that effort was worth it.”

Awesome. I'd kind of hoped he'd get assigned to West Michigan though.

For what it's worth.... Ten to watch from Tigers' 2009 draft | detnews.com | The Detroit News
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    Ten to watch from Tigers' 2009 draft

1. RHP Jacob Turner, Westminster Christian Academy, St. Louis: The Tigers acknowledge the risk in picking a prep pitcher in the first round. But in Turner, a 6-foot-5, 210-pound dynamo, they believe they have another top-of-the-rotation arm germinating -- if they can meet his high price.

2. LHP Andy Oliver, Oklahoma State: Again, it's a matter of signing a big (6-3, 212) pitcher with a shut-'em-down fastball. Oliver would have been a first-round pick had his breaking ball not gone on vacation this spring. The Tigers considered him a steal in the second round -- if they can make the dollars and his missing breaking ball, work.

3. SS Edwin Gomez, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, Dorado, P.R.: Only 17 years old with tons of upside. Could end up in the outfield, but the Tigers don't care. He is 6-3, 170, has superb speed and a lightning, switch-hitting bat. Gomez was a fourth-round pick.

4. LHP Austin Wood, Texas: Some teams got scared off when Wood threw 169 pitches in the 25-inning game against Boston College. The Tigers checked him out, learned his arm is just fine, and decided to go with a college pitcher who could be ready for the big leagues quickly -- even if it's as a situational left-hander. He is a nightmare for left-handed hitters.

5. SS Daniel Fields, U-D Jesuit High: The son of former Tigers player and coach Bruce Fields would have been an early-round pick had he not committed to play at Michigan. The Tigers will have a tough summer bargaining with Fields, who may yet end up in Maize and Blue. But they loved his size (6-3), left-handed bat, speed, and potential.

6. 3B Wade Gaynor, Western Kentucky: He lit it up during a Comerica Park workout, driving numerous pitches into the outfield seats. He also has speed to go with his size (6-4, 213). That's why the Tigers made him their third-round pick.

7. CF Jamie Johnson, Oklahoma: The Tigers consider their seventh-round choice to be a Lenny Dykstra-type. Small (5-8) but tough, with good power, plate discipline, speed and grit. A potential leadoff batter.

8. RHP Craig Frisch, Baylor: Big (6-4), power arm -- vintage Tigers draft pick. Also will be difficult to sign because of an off-year and high dollar expectations that can't easily be fulfilled for an eighth-rounder. Might want to sit a year and try his luck next season. But if the Tigers can coax him into the fold, they consider him very high-ceiling.

9. 2B Chris Sedon, Pittsburgh: The Tigers' 10th-round pick had a huge season for Pitt, batting .398 with a .449 on-base percentage and a .796 slugging percentage. Hit 22 home runs, which was impressive for an infielder who is only 5-10, 170 pounds.

10. RHP Mark Appel, Monte Vista High, Danville, Calif.: He is committed to Stanford, which will make it a longshot that the Tigers can sign this 6-6 prospect who was a dice-roll in the 15th-round. Detroit will do what it can to persuade him to consider pro baseball immediately. But, once again, upside made it impossible for the Tigers to pass.

84 Lives!!! is offline MotownSports Fan

We're still at 16 signs... correct?

Anyone know how negotiations are going with any of the picks...?
    Old AATs: 05 Sborz; 06 Rainwater; 07 Fien; 08 Bowen; 09 Hollimon; 10 DD; 11 Moya; 12 Ciriaco
    VT - '13 AAT Edgar De La Rosa; '12 AAL Sammie Lee MOUNTAIN!!!
    ><(((º>´¯`.¸¸.´¯`.¸¸.100 million years´¯`.¸¸.´¯`.¸ ‘--<,((,(º>

None of the other picks have signed yet since the first slug.

They did sign UDFA Jacob Cruz to play outfield with the GCL.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Mark or Jason, do you guys know of any of the players that are close to signing? Or perhaps some players you think we'll see signed soon? Thanks.

I don't think any of the remaining guys are all that close....some of the Puerto Rican guys could sign relatively soon, but it could be a while on the others.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Thank you sir.

Soto has signed.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

They did sign UDFA Jacob Cruz to play outfield with the GCL.
    Any info on him? Where did he go to school?

Also, it seems like theres been some high school players drafted late signing for other clubs. The Angels signed the last pick in the draft, Alibay Barkley, and I see a late round INF Ryan Skube signed.
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

Cruz was a four-year guy at Kansas State...some speed, a little gap power, some solid defense....your dime-a-dozen college outfielder signed to fill out a roster in the lower rungs.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

Cruz was a four-year guy at Kansas State...some speed, a little gap power, some solid defense....your dime-a-dozen college outfielder signed to fill out a roster in the lower rungs.
    Thank you...all google was giving me was info on the ex-Tigers Jacob Cruz.
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast