Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Draft

TonyJM is offline MotownSports Fan

TY, man...Some Tiger material from Callis's BA draft chat:

BaseballAmerica.com: Chat: Draft Chat With Jim Callis

Drew (Spring, TX): Nick Castellanos was drafted day 1 in the first supplemental round. Does he project to be a pretty good pro player? Thanks, Andrew

Jim Callis: Yes, potential all-star third baseman. Don't think he'll be the easiest guy to sign, though.

Dave (Charlotte): Jim, Is Patrick Leyland a legit prospect? The Tigers regularly draft kids with ties to current players or execs but not usually this high (except Alex Avila). Another one drafted yesterday is Drew Gagnier...similar stuff to his brother?

Jim Callis: He's legit, but most of the scouts we talked to before the draft said his offense and defense were works in progress and he could really use three years of college at Maryland. Drew has better stuff than L.J. but is still inconsistent with it.

Joe (Grandville, Michigan): Jim, what role would you see Tiger's draftee Drew Smyly in his pro career? As a 3rd or 4th starter or a middle reliever?

Jim Callis: Has a chance to be a No. 3 starter. I thought he was one of the best LHSP in the draft.

sbcaptain2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Brennan Smith was MAC pitcher of the year in 2009, but like OU said, he has struggled this year. Here is a comment on his stuff:

Baseball Opens Home Season with Bowling Green - KENTUCKY OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Smith, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound right-hander, possesses a high-velocity fastball that can reach 94 mph and an above-average split-finger.
    My Connecticut Tigers blog
    2010 AAT: RHP Michael Torrealba, Connecticut Tigers: 19.2 IP, 1.83 ERA, 24 SO, 7 BB

This is from Seiler's chat:

[Comment From David Tokarz:]

As a Tigers fan, talk me down from the ledge. Sure, we got a few good picks (including Castellanos), but the middle rounds... oh, the middle rounds...

A: Yeah, the middle rounds are typically not the strong suit of David Chadd and company. They like to blow their budget on the early picks, and there's some merit to that. Smyly and Brantly have good upside, but I don't see much to like beyond that. If they sign Jake Hernandez or Dom Ficociello, we can start talking B territory for them, but for now, they're a B-/C+.

[Comment From Dberg: ]
    I've seen some talk of developing Chance Ruffin as a starter. Any chance that this will work? Is it worth trying? Is his future in the bullpen regardless?

A: Worth trying, but bullpen is much better option. Only has #4/5 starter upside.
    Last edited by TonyJM; 06-09-2010 at 03:24 PM.

OU98 is offline MotownSports Fan

The Tigers take Matt Perry, 3B, Holy Cross in round 41.

On Perry, a senior sign:

Matt Perry’s prospects look good - BostonHerald.com

Matt Perry’s prospects look good
    By John Connolly
    Monday, June 7, 2010

Major league teams could do worse than dial up the home of Holy Cross third baseman Matt Perry of Sudbury to announce his selection in the annual amateur draft that begins tonight and runs through Wednesday.

Perry, the son and grandson of Holy Cross sports legends Ron and Ronnie, Jr., respectively, is coming off a season in which he was named to the 2010 NEIBA All-New England Division 1 second team. As a senior, Perry batted .409 with 81 hits, 54 runs and 36 RBI. A unanimous All-Patriot League pick, Perry set HC single-season marks for games played (52) and starts (52), at-bats (198), runs, hits and total bases (116). He ended his Crusaders career with a .357 average, a .537 slugging percentage, a .430 on-base percentage and 100 RBI.

“As of right now, I think Matty Perry has a chance, for sure,” Holy Cross coach Greg DiCenzo said. “He had a good summer in the Cape League last year with Chatham. He was the Patriot League Player of the Year last year as a junior, and he followed that up by hitting over .400 this season. So, hopefully he has a a shot of playing in the next few months.

“My assessment of Matty Perry, when scouts ask me, is that he’s a smart, smart baseball player. He’s a typical Holy Cross student. He’s athletic. He comes from a great background and heritage. From a professional standpoint and, having worked in the Cape League myself, his biggest asset is he’s a professional hitter. He’s a solid player. He’s versatile.”

The 22-year-old Perry, a St. Sebastian’s product, is keeping things in perspective.

“Absolutely, I mean, to be honest, I haven’t put too much time into it,” Perry said. “Now that my college career is over, obviously, it’s something that I’m real excited about. The last two years have gone really well, and I think I’ve put myself into a good position to be drafted.”

Aaron Fields, Daniel's older brother, goes to the Indians.

The Tigers take Kevin Grant, OF, Millard West HS (Neb.) in round 42.

Grant's commitment is to Creighton.

I imagine the Tigers will be drafting Ricky Knapp soon.
    2010 AAT: RHP Michael Torrealba, Connecticut Tigers: 19.2 IP, 1.83 ERA, 24 SO, 7 BB

sportz4life is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by OU98 View Post
    Aaron Fields, Daniel's older brother, goes to the Indians.
    wonderful wonderful hard working kid..

The Tigers grab Ricky Knapp, RHP, Port Charlotte HS (Fla.) with their 44th-round pick. He is Rick Knapp's son.

Ricky Knapp goes in the 44th...

Blake Bell (RHP-KS High School) in the 43rd, who (I think) is committed to play QB at Oklahoma next year.

The Tigers also took a big Kansas high school right-handed pitcher in Blake Bell in round 43.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJM View Post
    Blake Bell (RHP-KS High School) in the 43rd, who (I think) is committed to play QB at Oklahoma next year.
    Correct

I'm guessing Bell is not signing...:

Top QB Prospect Blake Bell Commits To Oklahoma - Crimson And Cream Machine

Top QB Prospect Blake Bell Commits To Oklahoma

Josh Heupel landed one of the biggest recruits of his young coaching career on Friday when Blake Bell committed to play football for the Oklahoma Sooners. Bell is the top rated dual-threat quarterback in the country by Rivals and the #2 rated quarterback by Scout and who better to go after him than a former national champion quarterback. As the lead recruiter on Bell Heupel and the Oklahoma coaching staff had him on campus Thursday to watch a practice and then received a call from him on Friday stating that he was pledging his loyalties to the Sooners.

Last season, as a junior, at Bishop Carroll High School in Wichita, Kansas Bell threw for 2,871 yards and 34 touchdowns. He also added another 12 touchdowns and 327 yards rushing. When he signs his letter of intend in February Oklahoma will be four full seasons out from the Rhett Bomar fiasco. Who would have though that the quarterback position at Oklahoma would have actually grown stronger after Bomar was shown the door? That season Paul Thompson led the team to the Big 12 Championship followed by two record breaking seasons of Sam Bradford which included a Heisman Trophy in `08. Now, Oklahoma is looking at having a group of quarterbacks for the 2010 season of Landry Jones, Drew Allen and Blake Bell with the outside chance of Sam Bradford as a senior.

Oklahoma beat out 12 other schools including Oregon, Texas A&M, Georgia, LSU, Miami (FL), Nebraska and Notre Dame for Bell’s services.

Ben Verlander is still waiting to be drafted.

The Tigers take Jacob Morton, C, Hudsonville (Mi.) in round 45.

Jacob Morton, C, Hudsonville HS (MI)

Looks like Morton is committed to OU (the school, not the poster)...

OU Baseball Signs Five Players - OAKLAND OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

"Morton, a right-handed utility player from Jenison, Mich., is entering his senior year at Hudsonville High School. As a junior he had five doubles, five triples and one home run, scored 26 runs and drove in 17 runs while hitting .446. Morton helped his team win a Division I regional championship.

"Jake is one of the most athletic and versatile players in the state of Michigan," said Musachio. "He has a big time arm, good speed and strong baseball instincts. He is a perfect fit for our program as a player and young man."

Morton has an Oakland commitment.

Alex Lakatos hasn't been drafted yet. I'm sure he'll go to school, but the Tigers will probably draft him as a courtesy to one of the top high schoolers in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by sbcaptain2 View Post
    Ben Verlander is still waiting to be drafted.

They snag him in the 46th.

The Tigers take Ben Verlander, RHP, Goochland (Va.) in round 46. JV's brother.

MSU right-hander Adam Achter gets pick by Minnesota.

The Tigers select Chris Triplett, SS, Sandy Creek (Ga.) HS in round 47. Signability guy with a Georgia Tech commitment.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

How many more will we draft? I feel like we took fewer players last year.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

The Tigers take Tyler Marincov, OF, Timbercreek (Fla.) HS in round 48.

EDIT: He has signed with North Florida for baseball, although he did play football.
    Last edited by OU98; 06-09-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    How many more will we draft? I feel like we took fewer players last year.
    As of now, two.

Triplett:

Major baseball prospects sign on at Tech, Georgia | AJC College Sports Recruiting

"Chris Triplett is a 5-11, 178-pound middle infielder from Sandy Creek High and the rated the No. 17 player in Georgia."

MIF | S/R | 5-11 | 178 | Fayetteville, Ga. (Sandy Creek)

The Tigers take Tyson Kendrick, C, Tabor College (Kan.) in round 49.

On Marincov --

Orlando Sentinel - Central Florida Varsity the Blog- Timber Creek’s Marincov takes FACA district baseball honor – Central Florida Varsity the Blog – Orlando Sentinel

"Timber Creek senior Tyler Marincov, who recovered from a broken hand in time to enjoy a huge senior season, was chosen by Orange/Osceola County baseball coaches as for Florida Athletic Coaches Association District 10 Player of the Year.

Marincov is batting .398 (35-for-88), with 7 home runs, 31 RBI and 27 runs scored for the Wolves (23-7), who play at Jacksonville Mandarin (21-8) in the 6A, Region 1 final on Friday night."

Kendrick:

Tabor College News

"HILLSBORO, Kan. - Coming off the heels of the most wins in school history, the Tabor College Baseball team was honored this past week as six Bluejays were named to the All-KCAC Teams including the Player of the Year, four First Team All-KCAC selections, and a Second Team and Honorable Mention All-KCAC selection.

Senior Tyson Kendrick (Arkansas City, Kan.) was named KCAC Baseball Player of the Year and earned First Team All-KCAC honors as well as KCAC Player of the Week honors as the Bluejays everyday catcher.

Kendrick recorded one of the most successful individual seasons in Tabor baseball history, as he led the KCAC and the Bluejays in batting average at .441, on base percentage at .521, hits with 71, and doubles with 19. He also led the Bluejays in slugging percentage at .634, ranking him third in the KCAC, and RBI's with 52, ranking him second in the KCAC.

"Tyson was our leader both on and off the field," said Head Baseball Coach Mark Standiford. "The numbers he put up this year and the honors that he has received have never been done here at Tabor."

The Tigers end the draft by taking Jake Ross, LHP, Wor-Wic CC (Md.)
    Last edited by OU98; 06-09-2010 at 04:46 PM.

sportz4life is offline Released

OU thanks for the updates..

benrush is offline MotownSports Fan

What's the deal on MSU's Eli Boike? I haven't heard his name called ... I assumed he would at least be given a shot in the later rounds! Good kid who put up pretty good numbers for the Spartans.

Charles Liston is offline MotownSports Fan

I know that this thread isn't over but I just want to say thanks to OU and all the other contributors this year. As usual it has been a must-read every day for the past few weeks.

What else is left to say about OU after all these years?

You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean, sometimes he'll, uh, well, you'll say "Hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you, and he won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say "Do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life? 'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you'..." – I mean, I'm no, I can't – I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...

And Tony, wow. When the Tigers start signing these guys, all those bios are going to get read over and over again. Sbcaptain2 also a tip of the hat your way.

So, let's do it again next year...you write it, I'll read it. Thanks again everyone.

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

It would be kind of neat (to me) if both jake and ben found their ways back to the tigers after college (assuming ben will go to ODU). Would give tigs multiple sets of brothers. Zumayas, porcellos, verlanders and gagniers. Missing anyone?
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    It would be kind of neat (to me) if both jake and ben found their ways back to the tigers after college (assuming ben will go to ODU). Would give tigs multiple sets of brothers. Zumayas, porcellos, verlanders and gagniers. Missing anyone?
    The Roofs

Scottish caveman is offline MotownSports Fan

Thanks to all on this thread, especially OU98 and TonyJm for making this so enjoyable and informative 1

Tabor:

Tabor College Catcher Drafted by Detroit Tigers - KWCH - Kansas News and Weather -

Tabor College Catcher Drafted by Detroit Tigers

HILLSBORO, Kan. - Tabor College catcher Tyson Kendrick of Arkansas City, Kan. was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the 49th round of the MLB draft. Kendrick was named KCAC Baseball Player of the Year and earned First Team All-KCAC honors as well as KCAC Player of the Week honors as the Bluejays everyday catcher this past season.

Kendrick recorded one of the most successful individual seasons in Tabor baseball history, as he led the KCAC and the Bluejays in batting average at .441, on base percentage at .521, hits with 71, and doubles with 19. He also led the Bluejays in slugging percentage at .634, ranking him third in the KCAC, and RBI's with 52, ranking him second in the KCAC.

Kendrick who played for Tabor the past two seasons was coached by former Wichita State Baseball great Mark Standiford.

"Tyson was our leader both on and off the field," said Head Baseball Coach Mark Standiford. "The numbers he put up this year and the honors that he has received have never been done here at Tabor.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast