Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    hail2mich is offline MotownSports Fan

Default 2013 Michigan Football

I thought we ought to jump right into discussing the 2013 season and beyond. Here is the 2013 schedule:

8/31 Central Michigan
    9/7 Notre Dame
    9/14 Akron
    9/21 at Connecticut
    9/28 BYE/Open
    10/5 Minnesota
    10/12 at Penn State
    10/19 Indiana
    10/26 BYE/Open
    11/2 at Michigan State
    11/9 Nebraska
    11/16 at Northwestern
    11/23 at Iowa
    11/30 Ohio State

A very favorable schedule for the upcoming season. Having perhaps the three toughest opponents at home (Notre Dame, Nebraska, and OSU) sure is nice.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Michigan Football ‏@umichfootball

Taylor Lewan will announce his future plans -- return to U-M or forego his SR year to enter the NFL Draft -- tonight at 6 p.m.
    Probably 95% draft, right?
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

Oh yeah, 95% is probably on the low side.

thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan

I know he's a powerful player, but he commits too many stupid penalties. Good bye, Taylor, thanks for playing.
    GO TIGERS

Lewan is coming back. Wow.

Wow!
    angelique ‏@chengelis

Lewan "it was a no brainer in the end"

Greenwit is offline MotownSports Fan

If you're a recruit you might think that this program is so appealing one of the top lineman decided to forego the draft and bazillions for one more year. Nice message to sell.
    Two words: Costa Rica.

Lewan said he talked to Jake Long and that had a big influence on his decision.

Also I wonder how much the new draft rules might change some players minds? If you were to make 30M 3 years ago, and now only 5M, how much would that change your choice if you were in the position I wonder?

Woulda bet the farm he was gone.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    Also I wonder how much the new draft rules might change some players minds? If you were to make 30M 3 years ago, and now only 5M, how much would that change your choice if you were in the position I wonder?
    5M is still better than 0M.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Draft scouts obviously read my post about dumb penalties and lowered his status.....

Eating crow and enjoying it :)

Go blue!
    GO TIGERS

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    It is, but I mean it in the respect that you want to stay in school, but does the 5M push you over the edge like 30M would?

FRM710 is offline MotownSports Fan

@HeckAtTOC: When asked what it was like to hold off on his NFL dreams for another year, Lewan shrugged, "Holding is what I do best."

bigtenguy is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm very surprised. Jake Long came back to a team with Henne, Hart and Manningham.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

He's not going to make zero though.

Blog Entries

It is, but I mean it in the respect that you want to stay in school, but does the 5M push you over the edge like 30M would?
    It might not, but the rules aren't changing. The money will be almost exactly the same next season.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    He's not going to make zero though.
    He will next season.

It might not, but the rules aren't changing. The money will be almost exactly the same next season.
    You aren't getting what i'm saying, nothing about money changing now or the future. Compared to before the players aren't looking at huge paydays if they come out early and they don't really want to. In the past would you turn down 30M, compared to now being only 5M? You can always get injured your senior season, but now the net loss of millions a lot less to leave for.

Blog Entries

I get it and 5 years ago Lewan leaves.

I'm just saying that it no longer is relevant.

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

I get it and 5 years ago Lewan leaves.

I'm just saying that it no longer is relevant.
    I don't know about that. As Hoke said, there is a tradition of Michigan OL staying.

Nolan is offline MotownSports Fan

Derrick Green cancelled his trip to Auburn.
    "Thirty for me, that's yesterday," Valverde said. "It doesn't matter how many saves I have right now. The goal right now is the Tigers in first place, try to win every day, go to the playoffs and win everything."

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

You can look at it to ways regarding the change in nfl draft money.

Before, you made more in the draft so there was incentive to leave and make great millions, but there was also incentive to stay and improve your draft stock, because moving from #13 to #3 was worth a ton.

Now, you make less, so mate the incentive isn't as great to leave, but there is less incentive to stay because improving your stock doesn't gain you as much as it used to.

All told, injuries to linemen are pretty rare, mos linemen improve their stock, I think, and college is a lot of fun.

You wear the 77 and you follow in the footsteps.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

ROMAD1 is online now MotownSports Fan

I listened to a few minutes of the drive time show on 97.1 last night and they lambasted Lewan for his decision. Valenti is a purely economic beast for whom life boils down to financial choices. I doubt the man would ever appreciate that college football is probably a more fun experience in total than being a professional athlete (as Jake Long's mentoring suggests).

But if there were an economic side to this. When you are a member of a high profile program like Michigan you accrue a certain professional network that is made stronger when you support that program and help it succeed. That will stay with you the rest of your business life, even outside of football. This will make Lewan's life much easier when he goes to sell cars/computer chips or paper clips in his life after football. Can you put a dollar value on that? Maybe not. But it isn't worth nothing.

One other thing...I had heard certain career decisions being described as "affectations of the middle class". In which, a person who does not have their financial future secured would never make that choice. I suspect that Lewan feels reasonably secure that with or without football he will have a decent life. Some other kids from harsher upbringings would have a much harder time making this choice.
    Last edited by ROMAD1; 01-11-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    #KSM Can't Breath

Quote Originally Posted by hail2mich View Post
    I thought we ought to jump right into discussing the 2013 season and beyond. Here is the 2013 schedule:

8/31 Central Michigan
    9/7 Notre Dame
    9/14 Akron
    9/21 at Connecticut
    9/28 BYE/Open
    10/5 Minnesota
    10/12 at Penn State
    10/19 Indiana
    10/26 BYE/Open
    11/2 at Michigan State
    11/9 Nebraska
    11/16 at Northwestern
    11/23 at Iowa
    11/30 Ohio State

A very favorable schedule for the upcoming season. Having perhaps the three toughest opponents at home (Notre Dame, Nebraska, and OSU) sure is nice.
    Kinda wonder if Kelly returns to ND
    #KSM Can't Breath

FRM710 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    I listened to a few minutes of the drive time show on 97.1 last night and they lambasted Lewan for his decision. Valenti is a purely economic beast for whom life boils down to financial choices.
    eh, valenti is just bitter because Lewan is staying while the MSU guys are leaving.

Porcelain God is offline MotownSports Fan

He specifically mentioned getting insurance for his senior year so worst case scenario is a diploma from UM and a tidy sum in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by FRM710 View Post
    eh, valenti is just bitter because Lewan is staying while the MSU guys are leaving.
    I got an app that lets me listen to detroit radio, and I heard Valenti for the first time when he was going on and on and on about how Lewan flat out made the wrong decision, and his entire argument was based on $$.

Yes, Lewan chose to not cash out, we get it, meat head. Dude is staying, obviously likes it in college, so shut up. When was the last time Mike Valenti did anything at the professional level Lewan does? Never, because the dude sucks at his job, unless crying 24/7 about UM is a 'job'. And to further the matter, he kept saying that this is not a dig or a battle against Michigan fans, but wanted an explanation to all the "Michigan Man" cliches being thrown around by people swept up in the moment. Seriously? You want to not have an argument, but are attacking the Michigan fans swept up in the moment of Taylor's decision? Loser. Like there's not one moron-State fan in the state of Michigan.

Dude is such a hack who does nothing but incite anger from the low brow population of Michigan fans. Anyone can be passive aggressive, get passionate and stupid people angry, and also get angry themselves on the radio. Guy is so butt-hurt over Michigan everything he does on his show is completely un-listenable. Congratulations Detroit, this is the douchebag that represents your fair city when it comes to sports. Wish Detroit could have a class act sports radio show with level headed and professional insight, like most other large sport market's.
    GO TIGERS

Quote Originally Posted by thefunk View Post
    I got an app that lets me listen to detroit radio, and I heard Valenti for the first time when he was going on and on and on about how Lewan flat out made the wrong decision, and his entire argument was based on $$.

Yes, Lewan chose to not cash out, we get it, meat head. Dude is staying, obviously likes it in college, so shut up. When was the last time Mike Valenti did anything at the professional level Lewan does? Never, because the dude sucks at his job, unless crying 24/7 about UM is a 'job'. And to further the matter, he kept saying that this is not a dig or a battle against Michigan fans, but wanted an explanation to all the "Michigan Man" cliches being thrown around by people swept up in the moment. Seriously? You want to not have an argument, but are attacking the Michigan fans swept up in the moment of Taylor's decision? Loser. Like there's not one moron-State fan in the state of Michigan.

Dude is such a hack who does nothing but incite anger from the low brow population of Michigan fans. Anyone can be passive aggressive, get passionate and stupid people angry, and also get angry themselves on the radio. Guy is so butt-hurt over Michigan everything he does on his show is completely un-listenable. Congratulations Detroit, this is the douchebag that represents your fair city when it comes to sports. Wish Detroit could have a class act sports radio show with level headed and professional insight, like most other large sport market's.
    Take a deep breath...:--)
    #KSM Can't Breath

jackson_cannery is offline MotownSports Fan

does the 5M push you over the edge like 30M would?
    Anyone that cares about the difference between 5 million dollars and any higher amount needs to re-evaluate their priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson_cannery View Post
    Anyone that cares about the difference between 5 million dollars and any higher amount needs to re-evaluate their priorities.
    Besides the fine life-priorities that you elucidate...remind me not to hire you as my accountant.
    #KSM Can't Breath

https://twitter.com/WolverineNation/...49723976216576

Fitzgerald Toussaint won't participate in spring ball, per mgoblue video.

Notre Dame, Nebraska, Ohio State.

This is one of our best chances to go undefeated in a looooooong time.
    GO TIGERS

https://twitter.com/Heiko25/status/299254387560292352

Borges says he'll be looking at 49ers and Redskins film for 2013 offense.
    Curt Mallory just told me that Dennis Norfleet is expected to stay at corner.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Gardner definitely has a little Kaepernick in him. Norfleet could be a solid nickel type.

Porcelain God is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bigtenguy View Post
    I'm very surprised. Jake Long came back to a team with Henne, Hart and Manningham.
    Gardner, Green, and Gallon. As much as I loved watching Denard run, I'm so ready to see a real QB with a great line and stud RB.

KleShreen is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thefunk View Post

There is almost no one I hate in the media more than Valenti. I was a regular on his message board and eventually got booted because of the guy's habit for getting irrationally angry if even one person disagreed with anything he said. He could make a post saying that 1+1=3 and if someone came in and corrected him, he would go on the most immature personal insult-laden rant you could ever hope to see. I believe one real life situation that happened was when someone suggested that Chris Osgood could be an NHL Hall of Famer and Valenti vehemently disagreed and started looking up the guys' IP address and then his physical address and finding his families' names and insulting him to no end. Reading his tweets and hearing his rants and the occasional listen of that terrible show when I'm driving on the east side has just fueled my hate that someone on that big of a pedestal can be so stupid. The funny thing on his message board is that Foster is on there too following up every Valenti post with an agreement post.

https://twitter.com/TomVH/status/299926524239441920

I've said this a few times on radio/podcasts, but Michigan had 15 ESPN 300 signees, Ohio State 17, rest of B1G COMBINED had 14

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast