belcherboy is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Michigan suspends three players for Outback bowl

Michigan Wolverines suspend 3 from Outback Bowl, including J.T. Floyd - ESPN

J.T. Floyd, Will Hagerup suspended

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan has suspended three players, including starting cornerback J.T. Floyd and punter Will Hagerup, from the Outback Bowl against South Carolina for a violation of team rules.

Those two players, along with senior linebacker Brandin Hawthorne, will not travel to Tampa, Fla. for the New Year's Day game against the Gamecocks (No. 10 BCS, No. 11 AP) because of the suspension.

"It is an honor to play football for the University of Michigan and we have high standards and expectations for everyone that represents our program," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said in a statement. "These young men used poor judgment in each circumstance, and these suspensions are teaching moments for our team."

For Floyd and Hawthorne, it also means the end of their Michigan careers. Floyd was a two-year starter at cornerback for Michigan (No. 18 BCS, No. 19 AP), making 179 tackles, 18 pass breakups and three interceptions.

Hawthorne played mostly on special teams, although he saw some time as a linebacker last season. In his career, he made 63 tackles and had one interception.

Hagerup, a junior who was named the Big Ten's punter of the year this season, averaged 45 yards a punt this year with a long of 62 yards. This is the third time in his career Hagerup has been suspended. He was suspended for the 2010 Ohio State game and the first four games of the 2011 season.
    You got to respect Hoke for holding these guys to a high standard, but this will definitely hurt them against SCar. I wonder if it may be time to move on without Hagerup next year? GREAT player, but he looks like he is just prone to dumb choices. He is a great punter, but he is just a punter. I'm sure we could get someone else that could do a good job without all the potential of being suspended that Hagerup seems to be each year. 3 suspensions in three years?

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by belcherboy View Post
    You got to respect Hoke for holding these guys to a high standard, but this will definitely hurt them against SCar. I wonder if it may be time to move on without Hagerup next year? GREAT player, but he looks like he is just prone to dumb choices. He is a great punter, but he is just a punter. I'm sure we could get someone else that could do a good job without all the potential of being suspended that Hagerup seems to be each year. 3 suspensions in three years?
    It isn't that easy to replace skilled punters. Hagerup doesn't need Michigan, he could easily find a job in the NFL next year, we all know he is much better than Nick Harris of the Lions. Either way, I am not too worried about it.

Losing Floyd will hurt, but I am not expecting much from UM in the bowl game. You can learn absolutely nothing in a bowl game. Nothing is more ridiculous in the world of sports than playing your last game on Nov. 24th and then waiting til Jan 1st--or later--to play your last game. How this has never been addressed is beyond me.

belcherboy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    It isn't that easy to replace skilled punters. Hagerup doesn't need Michigan, he could easily find a job in the NFL next year, we all know he is much better than Nick Harris of the Lions. Either way, I am not too worried about it.

Losing Floyd will hurt, but I am not expecting much from UM in the bowl game. You can learn absolutely nothing in a bowl game. Nothing is more ridiculous in the world of sports than playing your last game on Nov. 24th and then waiting til Jan 1st--or later--to play your last game. How this has never been addressed is beyond me.
    IMO, I think most teams would prefer this bowl timing thing. It allows a significant advantage for teams that are bowl eligible by:

1) Giving them a month or so of practice time that I believe is not allowed by non-bowl eligible teams
    2) Gives them a month of healing time before playing a big game
    3) Allows teams to take trips that won't feel "rushed", during/near holiday times, and are after the end of the semester.

Obviously the down side is that the team loses some of its sharpness in terms of performance, but IMO, they probably like having 3-5 weeks of practice time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by belcherboy View Post
    IMO, I think most teams would prefer this bowl timing thing. It allows a significant advantage for teams that are bowl eligible by:

1) Giving them a month or so of practice time that I believe is not allowed by non-bowl eligible teams
    2) Gives them a month of healing time before playing a big game
    3) Allows teams to take trips that won't feel "rushed", during/near holiday times, and are after the end of the semester.

Obviously the down side is that the team loses some of its sharpness in terms of performance, but IMO, they probably like having 3-5 weeks of practice time.
    And I don't disagree with these reasons, but the consequence of the added practice and down time makes the bowl game evaluation irrelevant. You just can't take 3-5 weeks off and be sharp immediately.

As a coach, I am sure they love it. But as a fan, CFB ends for me with the OSU game, I completely lose interest waiting over a month to see an exhibition game. I am ready to flip the page to the Tigers.

hail2mich is offline MotownSports Fan

It's a shame Hagerup hasn't grown up. He had the potential to be a NFL player, but I highly doubt an NFL team will take a chance on an inconsistent punter who has a knack for getting in trouble. I hope we've seen his last game at Michigan. This is his third incident that has resulted in a suspension, which is simply unacceptable. He certainly is no Zoltan Mesko.

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post

I don't know the nature of every Hagerup mistake but the fact he's prone to them, including some on-field mistakes doesn't bode well for his future in the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hail2mich View Post
    It's a shame Hagerup hasn't grown up. He had the potential to be a NFL player, but I highly doubt an NFL team will take a chance on an inconsistent punter who has a knack for getting in trouble. I hope we've seen his last game at Michigan. This is his third incident that has resulted in a suspension, which is simply unacceptable. He certainly is no Zoltan Mesko.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I don't know the nature of every Hagerup mistake but the fact he's prone to them, including some on-field mistakes doesn't bode well for his future in the NFL.
    Are you guys serious? He was the Punter of the Year in the Big Ten and has a booming leg. Some NFL teams will care about his past transgressions but most won't even blink. Hagerup could easily start in the NFL next year, without a shred of doubt.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan