Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    FRM710 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Michigan Basketball 2011/2012

Max Bielfeldt 6'8 forward from IL selects the Blue! ESPN has him as a 2*.

From ESPN:

* Peoria, IL Hometown
    * Notre Dame High School

* 6'8"Height
    * 220 lbsWeight

* —Overall Rank
    * 74Position Rank

Strengths:
    This strong high energy power forward never takes a possession off. Bielfeldt runs the floor on a consistent basis and simply out works opposing post for easy baskets. In the low post he scores with good touch and crafty moves. Bielfeldt is a below the rim finisher that can also face and knock down mid range and open three with needed time and space. He can drive from the high post as well. Bielfeldt is a good passer and active rebounder on both ends. He could be affective in both pick and pop or role situations. Bielfeldt won't wow you with athletic ability but will with his consistent production.

Weaknesses:
    Bielfeldt must work on attempting to improve his explosiveness he is an average athlete at best. And although his is strong he must continue to add strength in order to continue to hold his own in the low post.

Bottom Line:
    Bielfeldt is a skilled power forward that rebounds on both ends and plays with great energy and urgency on every possession. His is limited athletically but is consistently productive because of his all business approach on the floor where he simply out works opponents with passion for the game.
    Notes

Michigan is getting involved (Feb. 2011)...Averaged 23.0 ppg, 11.0 rpg and 4.0 blocks as a senior...
    Last edited by FRM710; 03-25-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Sparks4Ever is offline MotownSports Fan

Looks like Jordan Morgan v2, except with slightly less athletic ability. Not sure how I feel about adding him -- Michigan's scholarship situation is going to be limited the next couple of years unless someone like McLimans and/or Christian gets nudged out.
    All Time AAT: Steve Sparks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks4Ever View Post
    Looks like Jordan Morgan v2, except with slightly less athletic ability. Not sure how I feel about adding him -- Michigan's scholarship situation is going to be limited the next couple of years unless someone like McLimans and/or Christian gets nudged out.
    I've read some that compare him to Graham Brown with more outside touch.

I'm wondering if anyone heard Sam Webb on Detroit radio yesterday with Bacari Alexander, UM asst coach, talking about Horford? Supposedly BA said that Horford is closer to 6'10 now and is around 240lbs, expects him to be big contributor next season.

BA also said that Smotz has great footwork and with a little more weight and work will be a presence inside.

Anyone confirm this.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I see smot as a brad miller type.

As for max, he sounds like a decent center in a beilein offense. Wouldn't surprise me to see him redshirt.

As for scholarships, they are fine going forward.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Quote Originally Posted by FRM710 View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone heard Sam Webb on Detroit radio yesterday with Bacari Alexander, UM asst coach, talking about Horford? Supposedly BA said that Horford is closer to 6'10 now and is around 240lbs, expects him to be big contributor next season.

BA also said that Smotz has great footwork and with a little more weight and work will be a presence inside.

Anyone confirm this.
    I can't, but I can believe all of it. Horford looks about 6'10" and nearing 240. He needs to learn how to foul way less if he's going to see the court. He averaged 8.3 fouls per 40 minutes this year! By comparison, Morgan and Smotz, both of whom had serious foul issues, averaged a little over 5 fouls per 40 minutes. Ideally, these guys would be at 3 or less fouls per 40. If he can work through his foul issues, he has All-Big Ten and even NBA potential.

Not to bad against some pretty good competition. Wonder how he did on defense and of course, did they actually go against each other in the games?

Below is from UMhoops.com there is video of MB at the site as well.

Senior Year

Bielfledt was not considered a high major prospect before his senior season due to concerns over his size and potential. He put together a remarkable senior campaign, averaging 23 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks per game, and opened the eyes of many schools looking for a post prospect late in the year. Bielfeldt was named the Illinois Class 3A All-State first team and led Peoria Notre Dame to a 28-1 final record.

Bielfeldt put up big numbers all season but the most impressive aspect of his season was that he excelled against numerous highly rated prospects.

He scored 39 points and grabbed 15 rebounds in an 82-70 loss against Gary Lew Wallace and McDonalds All American Branden Dawson:

Bielfeldt, a 6’7″ post who is having a monster junior season, gave Lew Wallace all they could handle inside as he connected on 15-19 shots from the floor. Bielfeldt scored, got fouled, or both every time he touched the ball inside.

He provided a similar performance against 6-foot-9 2012 Purdue commitment Jay Simpson, scoring 39 points and grabbing 13 rebounds.

Bielfeldt, a 6’8 center, put in a great deal of work in the fall, and is now reaping the benefits. Bielfeldt dropped 15 pounds from his frame, and while remaining strong and physical inside, now has improved mobility. Bielfeldt, who typically does most of his damage in the paint, got to the free throw line 19 times against Champaign Central. Bielfeldt’s 39-point game set a new tournament record, and he also set the career rebounding record for the event with 76.

He also had 26 points and 13 rebounds versus Illinois commitment Nnanna Egwu in a 48-46 win over St. Ignatious.

JonBenke is offline Released

This is the kid Sam Webb compared to Brian Cardinal, I believe.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

If Michigan has ever had a coach I'd trust to hand out scholarships it's Beilein. Somehow I doubt this guy will turn out like Reed Baker
    Kobernoooooous

I haven't verified this but I read elsewhere that the Ohio HS basketball semifinals will be on a Directv regional channel today. Trey Burke's team did advance to this round.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    If Michigan has ever had a coach I'd trust to hand out scholarships it's Beilein. Somehow I doubt this guy will turn out like Reed Baker
    After landing respectable classes in 2002 and 2003, Amaker landed Ron Coleman, Jarret Smith, Jevohn Shepherd and Kendric Price in his next 2 classes . When Amaker's "plan A" recruits headed elsewhere he was horrible at identifying under the radar talent. At least that's something we don't have to worry about so much with Beilein.

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Not to bad against some pretty good competition. Wonder how he did on defense and of course, did they actually go against each other in the games?

Below is from UMhoops.com there is video of MB at the site as well.

Senior Year

Bielfledt was not considered a high major prospect before his senior season due to concerns over his size and potential. He put together a remarkable senior campaign, averaging 23 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks per game, and opened the eyes of many schools looking for a post prospect late in the year. Bielfeldt was named the Illinois Class 3A All-State first team and led Peoria Notre Dame to a 28-1 final record.

Bielfeldt put up big numbers all season but the most impressive aspect of his season was that he excelled against numerous highly rated prospects.

He scored 39 points and grabbed 15 rebounds in an 82-70 loss against Gary Lew Wallace and McDonalds All American Branden Dawson:

Bielfeldt, a 6’7″ post who is having a monster junior season, gave Lew Wallace all they could handle inside as he connected on 15-19 shots from the floor. Bielfeldt scored, got fouled, or both every time he touched the ball inside.

He provided a similar performance against 6-foot-9 2012 Purdue commitment Jay Simpson, scoring 39 points and grabbing 13 rebounds.

Bielfeldt, a 6’8 center, put in a great deal of work in the fall, and is now reaping the benefits. Bielfeldt dropped 15 pounds from his frame, and while remaining strong and physical inside, now has improved mobility. Bielfeldt, who typically does most of his damage in the paint, got to the free throw line 19 times against Champaign Central. Bielfeldt’s 39-point game set a new tournament record, and he also set the career rebounding record for the event with 76.

He also had 26 points and 13 rebounds versus Illinois commitment Nnanna Egwu in a 48-46 win over St. Ignatious.
    I wasn't that excited when they offered him but then read comments like these about his play against pretty decent competition. Who knows? His numbers against highly ranked prospects make you look twice and they say he plays with great energy, never taking a play off. He could well be another guy (like Hardaway) that will leave some schools wondering why he never got a hard look.

Burke's game will be available on the STO channel
    Directv 661
    Dish 431

Nik Stauskas, 6'5 wing picks UM over Georgetown, Boston College, West Virginia. 2012 player

Player bio, video etc from UMhoops.com
    Last edited by FRM710; 03-26-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Big Ten Network's Brent Yarina's way-too-EARLY preseason big ten Bball rankings

On Michigan:
    Michigan - The Wolverines expect to return every single player from a team that finished the season as one of the Big Ten's best teams. There's no shortage of talent among the returnees, too, from Darius Morris to Tim Hardaway Jr. to Zack Novak to Jordan Morgan. John Beilein has the Wolverines back.

MSU:
    5. Michigan State - If it wasn't already, Michigan State is now Draymond Green's team. There will be no more Kalin Lucas to rely on in East Lansing, and that's going to be a huge loss for Tom Izzo. Keith Appling will have the dubious honor of replacing the four-year star guard, and if he can fill the role, the Spartans could be a threat.

Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

Morris is going to enter the draft but not hire an agent.

Michigan sophomore Darius Morris to test NBA Draft waters | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    I think most mocks I have seen have had him as a high 2nd, so with that advice he would be smart to come back.
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

Oh boy, obviously it makes sense to put his name out there and get ready for going pro after next year, but given Michigan's history of players stupidly going pro too soon that makes me nervous
    Kobernoooooous

tigerkid23 is offline MotownSports Fan

Nik Stauskas, 6'5 wing picks UM over Georgetown, Boston College, West Virginia. 2012 player

Player bio, video etc from UMhoops.com
    Pretty nice pickup! He looks like a good shooter who has a good handle considering his size and enough athleticism to get to the rim in college. I heard Kansas was showing interest in him too, no offer yet though.

Also, as others have said, Morris leaving would be a terrible decision. He can stay one more year, improve that jumper, and he'll likely be a lottery pick. Though, I admit it's easy for me to sit here and say that since I don't have millions of dollars on the line.
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~ Tom Clark

bluefan75 is offline MotownSports Fan

While I thought he was shafted a bit, and that college doesn't always translate to the NBA, Morris was 3rd team All Big Ten. 3rd team. While the league was strong....

I want Morris to be a successful NBA player, and he needs to work on his shot and his left hand. Why put the pressures of trying to remain employed on top of that, when he can work on that and enjoy carte blanche. Hopefully the NBA people are brutally honest with him. The fact his family is as involved in this as it appears makes it seem like someone other than Darius Morris is driving this bus.

Hopefully this is simply so he can get an insurance policy to guard against an injury. I know there is a bit of a qualification process there, so hopefully that is all this is.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

You are right in that college does not translate to the NBA. But I believe Morris is the highest rated B10 point guard in ESPN's draft ratings. I wuld imagine that means that scouts believe Morris's skillset translates better to the NBA than his B10 peers.

Regardless, I'm not concerned in the slightest about him leaving. I think there is a very good chance he leaves after next season.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

bluefan75 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    You are right in that college does not translate to the NBA. But I believe Morris is the highest rated B10 point guard in ESPN's draft ratings. I wuld imagine that means that scouts believe Morris's skillset translates better to the NBA than his B10 peers.

Regardless, I'm not concerned in the slightest about him leaving. I think there is a very good chance he leaves after next season.
    And if he progresses like he did this year, then I will drive him to his agent myself, because he will be sitting on a winning lottery ticket.

It's not guys leaving early I hate, it's guys leaving early when they don't have a very good chance of being drafted high and really cashing in. Because then they just twist in the wind, and everybody loses in that case, the player and the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post

I would be shocked if he didn't leave after next season. If he improves his outside shooting he's a 1st round pick for sure.

Let's root for a long lasting NBA lockout I guess, it's not like anyone wants to watch the Pistons.
    Kobernoooooous

lionstigersand... is offline MotownSports Fan

Man, I've been waiting on this bump...
    I love it here. True story: They asked me to play the University of Michigan and I said, ‘No, I don’t like that school. Any school that has to have a football stadium that big must have a small penis.' - Conan O'Brien at the Breslin, on the topic of UofM

Quote Originally Posted by lionstigersand... View Post
    Man, I've been waiting on this bump...
    And this bump belongs in the 2011/2012 UM bball thread why?

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Smart move by Morris and honestly, we still have a really nice team if he does leave. However, odds are he will be back considering his draft stock and the lockout situation. He isn't Manny where he is simply ready to move on to professional basketball. Still, without him we throw Burke into the lineup and hope the vets can get him through his growing pains. Morgan,Smotz and Hardaway can carry us, Douglas and Novak are there as the role players and hopefully Horford steps up as advertised.

I do think Morris will be a really good NBA PG, but not just yet. He needs another year of running the show to work on the intricacies and of course to improve his shooting. Scouts seem to like his ability as a shooter, but he has to refine it and improve his range.

However, if he somehow does decide to leave, I want him on the Pistons. I don't care how many guards they have. He has good size, he's a pass first player with great vision and he can defend NBA PGs.

thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan

Listening to Cowherd this morning on the way to school, he addressed the topic of whether or not this season is now the norm with the upsets by the no name schools.

He says no, and in doing so mentioned the teams that he thinks will be "exceptional" next year. These were, in his words, big name programs with tons of guys returning.

Ohio State, UCLA, Kentucky, and yes, Michigan. The national media is starting to show some love. Hope we can live up to it next year.
    GO TIGERS

lionstigersand... is offline MotownSports Fan

And this bump belongs in the 2011/2012 UM bball thread why?
    My mistake. I thought I was in the tourney thread.
    I love it here. True story: They asked me to play the University of Michigan and I said, ‘No, I don’t like that school. Any school that has to have a football stadium that big must have a small penis.' - Conan O'Brien at the Breslin, on the topic of UofM

SpartanValor is offline MotownSports Fan

Cowheards wife went to michigan, no?
    MSU Basketball: Back-to-Back Big Ten Championships and Final Fours
    MSU Football: Big Ten Champions!

RJBBREZ is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanValor View Post
    Relevance?

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

Jalen Rose got arrested for DUI two weeks back.

Fab Five Star Jalen Rose Arrested - Sports News Story - WDIV Detroit
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post

Why is this being posted?

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

The only thing keeping Morris at Michigan is the lockout. Even that might not do it. I think he's probably gone.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    The only thing keeping Morris at Michigan is the lockout. Even that might not do it. I think he's probably gone.
    He's not being projected anywhere near the 1st round.

I think he will come back and 100% go pro after next year. How many players who aren't Manny Harris go pro to be drafted in the 2nd round with no guarantees of not ending up in Europe or Asia somewhere?
    Last edited by pyrotigers; 03-30-2011 at 12:06 AM.
    Kobernoooooous

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanValor
    ..... ok
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

I'd add jump shot and quicks to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    I think he will come back and 100% go pro after next year.
    This is what I think as well.

I keep reading, could be a lottery pick if he stays ... ugh ... that's better than "maybe" a second round pick.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

If he is seen as a lottery talent next year, then he'll probably go pro this year. If he's a lottery talent, eventually someone will take him and stash him for a year. Lottery talent doesn't usually fall to the 2nd round, a year early or not.

He's ranked in the early 2nd round area right now, but remember that he wasn't on most people's map at the beginning of this year. He kind of crept his way into the picture throughout the year, especially with the team's strong push at the end of the year. I think with more review of his game tape and a look at him in postseason camps, his stock may go up significantly. Throw in the fact that it's a thin draft especially at PG and a handful of guys may go back to school and he may move into the 20s rather quickly.

I think he's still pretty likely to come back,but people seem to misunderstand the process and his stock. Hopefully he likes it here and likes the team we will bring back and recognizes he needs to fine tune his game. He'll never be super athletic, so he has to be extra sharp to succeed. Add a jumper and get even better at running an offense and defending and he'll be a really good prospect.

Default Trey Burke award

55th Parade All-America Basketball Team
    Link

SECOND TEAM

Trey Burke
    G Northland (Ohio)
    Michigan

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast