RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Default RA Dickey... were Mets right to trade him?

I meant to post this a long time ago, back when he was traded. But of course I forgot and only remembered now. The impetus to post this was some talking head I heard on the radio shortly after the trade who was bad mouthing the Mets and saying that they will always be "also rans" because they do stuff like this... trading away a great talent instead of ponying up the bucks to keep him around.

I respectfully have to disagree. Dickey had a phenomenal year, but he's 37 years old. Even for a knuckle ball pitcher this isn't young. He's been pitching the knuckle since 2005. I think this is a lot less of a guy who finally figured it all out and much more of a guy who had a career year and will likely never repeat it. I think the Mets sold high and were right to look at trading him.

I don't follow the minors enough to know if they got a good deal for him, and that likely won't play out for another 3-5 years anyway. But my argument isn't so much whether they made a good trade, but rather that trading him was the right move for them.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

I keep hearing about his 'career year', as if he only has been good in 2012, but he was very good in 2010 and 2011. If he plays at his 2010-2011 level, he will easily be worth what he will be paid over the next 3 years.

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Dickey is a really good pitcher, someone the Mets definitely needed if they had any intentions of winning. They decided to trade him over what amounted to $5M, not exactly a ransom sum in the MLB.

I agree with the radio guy, this is just another move in the direction the Mets have already been heading--MLB purgatory surrounded by media.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

The Mets got a really good deal for Dickey. The best Offensive Catcher prospect, who should be up this season if he's fully healed. Their top pitching prospect who was in Lansing last year.

Dickey has had a really rough time in the AL, but that was before he was able to harness the Knuckle completely, so who knows how he'll do. Most likely though I think his ERA will be up 1 run over the last 3 years.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

D'Arnaud immediately becomes the Mets' backstop of the future and shouldn't need much more seasoning at Triple-A to push John Buck aside. He was hitting .333/.380/.595 for Triple-A Las Vegas when he injured his left knee trying to break up a double play, which caused him to miss the rest of the season. The Mets will likely want to see how he's rebounded from the injury before calling him up, but d'Arnaud should be ready by the all-star break. He's a rare catching prospect that projects to hit in the middle of a lineup. He is an above-average hitter who should hit for at least average power. He doesn't walk much but makes consistent hard contact, getting hits even when his timing is off or he gets off balance. He has the bat speed and strength to hit plenty of homers and lets his power come naturally, employing a short stroke and all-fields approach. Though he has played in extremely hitter-friendly home ballparks the last two years, his pop is legitimate, as 18 of his 37 homers have come on the road. D'Arnaud made good strides with his defense in 2011 by working with then-New Hampshire manager Sal Fasano, who caught in the majors for nine seasons. Those improvements carried over to 2012, when d'Arnaud threw out a career-high 30 percent of basestealers. He has average to plus arm strength and has refined his footwork and throwing accuracy. He's a solid receiver who moves well behind the plate, and he's a good leader who works well with his pitching staffs. óNathan Rode
    Syndergaard's big frame gives him an imposing presence on the mound, and his fastball only adds to it. His heater ranges from 92-98 mph with excellent downward angle and armside run. His curveball has gained velocity since he signed and now sits in the mid-70s with downward action. It's inconsistent and eventually may develop into a slider, but it gets outs and features good spin. He maintains his arm speed well on his mid-80s changeup. He has very good body control for his size, which leads to quality command and control. He has a ceiling of frontline starter, with remarkable polish for a teen power pitcher. Mets fans can dream of a future rotation with three bonafide frontline starters in righthanders Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler and Syndergaard. óNathan Rode
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

It was a good deal for both teams. Mets aren't contenders this year and got a phenomenal package for him. Dickey is a great piece to a win now roster like the Blue Jays. One of the best deals I've seen in a long time where both teams look to have done well for themselves.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Dickey is a legit #2 or 3 at worst and should be for a few more years IMO. However, I won't rip the Mets because of the haul they got for him. Good deal for both sides.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

This was a great deal for the Mets, one of the best trades of the off-season. The Blue Jays blew their system up, and have a small window to win just like the Marlins did last year. I don't know if they're the best team in their division.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

Every time I hear Dickey's name, I think about that game in 2006 when the Tigers hit 79 homeruns against him in four innings.
    AAT Joe Nathan
    Tigers-Cardinals 2014 WS. Book it.
    "The escalator isn't out of order. It's just temporarily stairs."

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    This was a great deal for the Mets, one of the best trades of the off-season. The Blue Jays blew their system up, and have a small window to win just like the Marlins did last year. I don't know if they're the best team in their division.
    They don't have that small of a window though. Everyone is signed or under control for a while except Johnson.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    They don't have that small of a window though. Everyone is signed or under control for a while except Johnson.
    They are playing in the AL East, they have had injury issues, and their key players are in their prime. They have a small window of a few years, then they'll have to blow it up.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Never believed in "windows" to win. People have been saying that about the Spurs for 12 years. You either have a good GM who puts solid pieces together or you don't.

Either way, the jays are the best team in that division, on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    They are playing in the AL East, they have had injury issues, and their key players are in their prime. They have a small window of a few years, then they'll have to blow it up.
    I think that's an extremely strange way to look at it. Even if it is true, so what. What does that even mean? How often can you set up your team to be in contention for the division/playoffs/WS for more than a few years? They have a window of their stars' primes? Ok, sounds great. Its better than what their window was before, closed and boarded up.

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    Every time I hear Dickey's name, I think about that game in 2006 when the Tigers hit 79 homeruns against him in four innings.
    That was his first game as a knuckler right?
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog