Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,720 of 1773
    John_Brian_K is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Who is the Drizzle? View Post
    i am insulted that you think i posted in a thread that was meaningless, jbk.
    I posted in here a bunch myself.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

dabeave is offline MotownSports Fan

So I guess that "Moneyball" thing is all fiction . . .
    The A's are negotiating a new stadium, in a new location. The market is supose to be much larger (closer to the people with money). Cisco Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The problem is the Giants are trying to block it based on territorial rights. However assuming the new stadium goes through, their payroll should increase.

Sven Draconian is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ajspence View Post
    So I guess that "Moneyball" thing is all fiction . . .
    I think it fits in pretty well actually. Cespedes provides the opportunity for a market inefficiency. He *could* perform like a 15-20 million dollar player and provide the A's great value.

Since the A's do not have the money to buy up players at their actual value (for example, Reyes at 17 mil per, Fielder at 23 million dollars a year, Pujols at 24 ect ect), they need to gamble on players who might sign below market value. If they try and just sign players at their actual value, they get out-spent. So they have to gamble.

That is the reason it makes sense for the A's to sign him instead of the Tigers. The Tigers can spend that 9 million dollars a season to sign/re-sign an established big league star at roughly his market value, and since they are top 5 in spending, they can win that way. There is no need to risk the money on an unproven, when you can just sign a proven player instead.

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Tip of the cap to everyone who said Miami did not have it in the bag like I was sure they did. Fair is fair, you guys called it better than I did on Cespedes.

“Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Jeff6851 is offline MotownSports Fan

Phil Coke's Brain @PhilCokesBrain
    With Guantanamo and Of Pigs the Bay Area must have seemed most like home.
    2012 AL Champs

KleShreen is offline MotownSports Fan

So I guess he doesn't care about putting up good numbers. Or winning.
    2014 AAT: Steven "Light Tower Power" Moya
    2013 AAL: Riley Reiff;
    Record While I'm In Attendance (Career) Tigers: 8-2, Whitecaps: 17-7, GVSU Football: 68-7

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by holygoat View Post
    Seriously. I can't stand when people post in a thread about how stupid the thread is. Just close the damn window and look at something you think is more interesting. No one cares if you think this thread is annoying. Get the hell out of it if you don't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    Negative. This is his message board and he alone will decide when discussion is welcome and when discussion is boring and useless.
    i am insulted that you think i posted in a thread that was meaningless, jbk.
    Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    JBK, do you come to threads you don't like and have no interest in reading to post that you have no interest in reading them just to purposely stir up crap? You have to know that comments like yours are going to draw a less than positive response, especially when it's as simple as closing the window.
    My god, grow up children. How such an innocuous post caused this reaction is funny to me. You all were just looking to jump on JBK.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    You've got him all figured out.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan

There goes Scott Sizemore's 40 man spot w/ Oakland.
    2014 AAT: Drew VerHagen

shauntacular is offline MotownSports Fan

Who says Miami is going to win anything? Besides, the pressure on him playing in Miami is just too much. I think he's going to be fine in Oakland - it's a good fit for him. Sort of makes the A's earlier trade for Josh Reddick a bit strange now. Perhaps they will put Reddick on the block now?
    TheCaptain: Is it just me or does one of Fielder's sons look like Miguel Cabrera?

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

I guess he is primary about securing his financial security, like the vast majority of players in free agency.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 02-13-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redshark63 View Post
    There goes Scott Sizemore's 40 man spot w/ Oakland.
    lol
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

How does going to the Athletics prevent him from putting up good numbers? Also, he has an opt out clause after three years if he doesn't like how things are going in Oakland.

I never saw the virtue in going to a winning team anyway. Going to a team that is already a winner and saying you want to win seems kind of weak to me. If someone is interested in proving they are a winner, it makes sense to go to a team that hasn't been winning and help them become a winner.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm disappointed - I was caught up in the hype but mostly excited about the chance to add a potential impact player at a position of need. While I think Oakland is an outpost organization with no chance of winning in that division, it's a great deal financially for Cespedes because of the shorter terms. Set for life plus the chance at another big contract.

Now with this dose of realty, Dirks and Raburn should be a pretty good combo in LF, though without the mystique and excitement Cespedes would have brought.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    How does going to the Athletics prevent him from putting up good numbers? .
    Really. Although at the margin the big foul territory at the Collesium probably does depress batting averages - but I don't know that I've ever seen it broken down.
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Really. Although at the margin the big foul territory at the Collesium probably does depress batting averages - but I don't know that I've ever seen it broken down.
    Or more to the point, why would playing in Oakland hurt his effectiveness more than other players? Unless one thinks he will be disproportionately harmed by playing there, his level of offense should be just as valuable to the A's as it would for another team he might sign with. I'd imagine GMs as a group will value him appropriately in 4 years if his stats are depressed solely because of the studium he players in.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Since there's 43 pages, would a mod mind updating the thread title that he signed with Oakland? I'm guessing a lot of people don't bother checking the thread too often.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

xmartyx is offline Released

Good. Now Andy Dirks can finally be a full-time player.

shauntacular is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Are we at a point yet where we can agree that Oakland has the worst park in all of baseball, or is that still a perpetual tie between Wrigley and Fenway?
    TheCaptain: Is it just me or does one of Fielder's sons look like Miguel Cabrera?

Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    My god, grow up children. How such an innocuous post caused this reaction is funny to me. You all were just looking to jump on JBK.
    jeepers creepers man, first you call me out because you think my standards for others peoples posts are too strict, and now you call me out when i make a totally useless post in a useless tangent on a useless thread.

maybe i should just post cat pictures?
    We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security. - DDE
    Those who take the extreme positions in American political and economic life are always wrong. - DDE

ROMAD1 is online now MotownSports Fan

He chose Oakland because he wants to meet Angelina Jolie.

Blog Entries

jeepers creepers man, first you call me out because you think my standards for others peoples posts are too strict, and now you call me out when i make a totally useless post in a useless tangent on a useless thread.

maybe i should just post cat pictures?
    You were mad that it was a useless post, so to combat that you attacked a useless post with a more useless post.

FTR, I didn't notice you were one of the people I multi-quoted, and this was completely unrelated to the other thread. I just found it ironic that people were upset about a useless post, so much so that they had to post how useless it was.

You were mad that it was a useless post, so to combat that you attacked a useless post with a more useless post.

FTR, I didn't notice you were one of the people I multi-quoted, and this was completely unrelated to the other thread. I just found it ironic that people were upset about a useless post, so much so that they had to post how useless it was.
    I think this post is useless.

socaltiger is offline MotownSports Fan

Wow. Good luck Oakland. 36 mil. Strange how a team that de-empasizes scouting just spent 36 mil on a players potential based only on scouting.

Those who take the extreme positions in American political and economic life are always wrong. - DDE

Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

That has to be the cat from pet cemetery...

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

Yeah, I don't know why this would run against "Moneyball," unless your conception of Moneyball is 1: only sign fat dudes who draw tons of walks and 2: never spend any money ever. Beane's not going to do **** against the Angels and Rangers without taking some risks, so good for him.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

Longgone is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    Now with this dose of realty, Dirks and Raburn should be a pretty good combo in LF, though without the mystique and excitement Cespedes would have brought.
    Dirks and Young

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

This will be interesting to see how he fairs against big league pitching.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

irvink is online now MotownSports Fan

Beck checks in with quotes from DD:

Tigers had contract talks on Cespedes « Beck's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Longgone View Post
    Dirks and Young
    That's what I think it will be too. Raburn and Santiago will split second with Raburn playing a little more, but Santiago playing a lot with ground ball pitchers on the mound. DH will be a rotation with several different players.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I'm guessing the Tigers will roll with with they have, but consider trading for a LF in July, if an upgrade is needed.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I am genuinely curious. Why say things that are almost certain to draw criticism and then complain about said criticism, if not on purpose?
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

One of the nice things, I think, about feeling like you have such a superior team to everybody else in the division is that you can give Miggy a chance to play 3rd and you can give Delmon a chance to improve in the OF and you can give a young starter a chance to fill out the rotation without feeling like you are giving away games that might come back to haunt at the end of the season. If the gamble doesn't work, you can just go with the 'safer' defensive lineup for the post-season.

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

Say what you want about Delmon at the plate, but I don't think there's any chance for improvement in the field anymore.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

Quote Originally Posted by The Truman Show View Post
    Say what you want about Delmon at the plate, but I don't think there's any chance for improvement in the field anymore.
    he just needs to lose his stomach fat

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    I am genuinely curious. Why say things that are almost certain to draw criticism and then complain about said criticism, if not on purpose?
    I saw no need to criticize the post anymore than any other post in this thread, it was a throw away post, like most in this thread. People just like to jump all over JBK.

And let's be honest here, people have been clamoring for weeks for speculation with Cespedes to end, it got boring.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I know when I'm bored with something, I pay really close attention to it and make sure I comment as much as possible about how boring it is.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast