Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    itsallgood8989 is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll guess the Royals, Orioles and Expo's!
    2014 ATT Ian Krol
    2012 ATT Hernan Perez

Freehan_1968 is offline MotownSports Fan

Yoenis Cespedes Rumors: Friday: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Here's the latest on Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes...

A source says Cespedes' eventual contract will be in the range of four years and $32MM, writes MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. "Several teams have backed away" from Cespedes' original goal of an eight-year, $60MM contract. Frisaro says the Marlins are among the teams still very interested in the Cuban prospect.
    Also from Frisaro, Cespedes is tentatively expected to establish residency in the Dominican Republic on January 15, and then the outfielder will petition Major League Baseball for free agent status. The Tigers have been relatively quiet this offseason, "intensifying speculation" that the team is waiting on Cespedes to become available, reports James Schmehl of MLive.com. With Delmon Young, Austin Jackson and Brennan Boesch pencilled in as Detroit's starting outfield, the Tigers could have to make another move should they sign Cespedes, or just give him limited playing time to ease his transition to the Major Leagues.
    Last edited by Freehan_1968; 01-06-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    2012 AAT: Jose Ortega

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Of course, with the great Delmon Young in LF, no need to rush Cespedes into the lineup!
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't be opposed to easing in Cespedes. Cuban baseball is comparable to A ball, really. He might need some time to adjust, sending him to Erie or Toledo could help him for a few weeks.
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

Samson Feels "Pretty Good" About Signing Cespedes | NBC 6 Miami

Marlins President David Samson sure likes to run his mouth a lot. He's mighty confident. You'd never hear Dombrowski, as GM, talk like this.
    Last edited by Freehan_1968; 01-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

Henning also had a column about Yoennis today. He thinks it will be a month or more before Yoennis is declared a FA. He sees Baltimore as a major threat to sign him...

Tigers still waiting for expensive, risky shot at Yoenis Cespedes | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

shauntacular is offline MotownSports Fan

At this point I don't care about Cespedes anymore. It's dragged on too long, and there's too many question marks. The team's pretty good as it is now. I'm probably the biggest Delmon fan on the site, so that might cloud my opinion here a bit though. I just don't know why they're even still talking about this. It seems obvious that he's going to Miami.
    TheCaptain: Is it just me or does one of Fielder's sons look like Miguel Cabrera?

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

It was obvious Pujols was going to Miami too. And CJ.

If he's a Tiger this summer, I won't care if we signed him in November or March.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Blog Entries

Cespedes sign yet?
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

No signing yet, but he is going to partake in the DR playoffs. From Rotoworld:

According to Kevin Cabral of ESPN Radio Dominicana, Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes has joined Aguilas Cibaeñas in the Dominican Winter League.

Well, this comes as a surprise. Cespedes has been working out for MLB teams in the Dominican Republic over the past couple of months, but now he'll play real live games during the winter league playoffs. The 26-year-old hopes to establish residency in the D.R. in the next few days and should be granted free agency by MLB prior to spring training. The Marlins, Yankees, Phillies, Tigers, Cubs, White Sox and Nationals are among the clubs that reportedly have interest. It's believed that he is likely to sign for more than the $30.25 million deal Aroldis Chapman got from the Reds in 2010,
    Cespedes to play in Dominican Winter League - Rotoworld.com

Microline133 is offline MotownSports Fan

While it'll be fun to see Cespedes play some games just from the point of intrigue, it really won't change much at all from any of the interested team's perspectives. They've seen him plenty in game action already and a few games in the DWL playoffs won't change much, if anything.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Managing Editor
    TigsTown.com
    mark@tigstown.com

Mr. Bigglesworth is online now MotownSports Fan

socaltiger is offline MotownSports Fan

Steroids, age confirmation, quality of Cuban league vs MLB and ..oh ya..60 million $$$ and a a possibly negatively impacted budgets in 2013, 2014..if he fails...is plenty for me to pass. Since we have a good team now isnt it better to make safe and solid if not spectacular improvements ? Is it time to bet the farm on an unknown???

Microline133 is offline MotownSports Fan

People are making Cespedes out to be much more of an unknown than he actually is....just because fans have no clue about him, doesn't mean teams don't. Every team in the league has scouted him for years on the international scene and have more information on him than any of us can fathom.

Cespedes is exactly the type of player teams should take a risk on...one with a chance to be a star.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Managing Editor
    TigsTown.com
    mark@tigstown.com

4hzglory is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Microline133 View Post
    People are making Cespedes out to be much of an unknown than he actually is....just because fans have no clue about him, doesn't mean teams don't. Every team in the league has scouted him for years on the international scene and have more information on him than any of us can fathom.

Cespedes is exactly the type of player teams should take a risk on...one with a chance to be a star.
    +1. It isn't like we have star OF's in the system right now that he would have any chance of blocking. I'd much rather take a money only risk on him than trade away Turner or Castellanos + for someone of that ilk.
    Micah 7:7

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Microline133 View Post
    While it'll be fun to see Cespedes play some games just from the point of intrigue, it really won't change much at all from any of the interested team's perspectives. They've seen him plenty in game action already and a few games in the DWL playoffs won't change much, if anything.
    You don't think if he hits like 5 or 6 HR in 10 games or something, someone is going to up their bid? I mean Beltran made a bunch of extra money in the MLB playoffs, obviously this is a bit different though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Unless he becomes injured.
    Yoennis Cespedes has joints and bones that are stronger than titanium!
    VT

Clay Davenport did a pretty thorough analysis of Cespedes on his blog today. The player he sees Cespedes coming closest to? Adam Jones.

Cuban Statistics and Yoennis Cespedes | claydavenport.com

TheCouga is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    Clay Davenport did a pretty thorough analysis of Cespedes on his blog today. The player he sees Cespedes coming closest to? Adam Jones.

After reading that, he really doesn't seem like a leadoff hitter at all. Maybe a decent #6 hitter. But his OBP projects to be pretty low for a leadoff role.

Also of note, the alrming rise in the HR rate in the Cuban leagues seems suspicious. Not very often does a league's HR rate nearly double in 4 years. I wonder if PEDs have caught on there, and wonder what their testing is like. He doesn't really project to hit enough to be an All-Star LF, but could be a solid one.

He seems like the kind of guy that would be worth close to $10-12MM/year on the FA market, but should get a little bit less due to the uncertainty. I think 5 years, $45MM is reasonable in my limited knowledge, provided those projections are somewhat accurate. More than that is starting to get into silly territory.
    A physicist, a chemist, and an economist were stranded on an island with no implements and a can of food. The physicist and the chemist each devised an ingenious mechanism for getting the can open; the economist merely said, "Assume we have a can opener"!

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It was obvious Pujols was going to Miami too. And CJ.

If he's a Tiger this summer, I won't care if we signed him in November or March.
    Gotta think they have the edge if the money is close or equal, so I think its a legit worry. Large Cuban community, good weather and CF is open. I'm sure he'd rather live and play in Miami than Detroit. We might have to really go hard to get him,which I would.

Shinzaki is offline MotownSports Fan

If he jumps from 3B to Home instead of running.... his value may go up

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post

Adam Jones makes sense. Description reminded me of BJ Upton too, with less steals and maybe a little more slugging. I'd be surprised if he isn't a 3-5 WAR guy for at least a good 5 years. You do always have to worry about PEDs though, its hard to say anything on that at this point though.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Adam Jones makes sense. Description reminded me of BJ Upton too, with less steals and maybe a little more slugging. I'd be surprised if he isn't a 3-5 WAR guy for at least a good 5 years. You do always have to worry about PEDs though, its hard to say anything on that at this point though.
    Upton hits for lower average and walks much, much more than Cespedes likely will.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Adam Jones is a really nice comparison. Adam Jones is also the most overrated player in baseball.

Marlins To Make "Aggressive" Run For Cespedes: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Great.

When asked about what kind of money they will throw at Cespedes, Samson says "we are prepared to go right to the point of stupidity...but not quite there."

The only way we're getting this guy is if he is extremely coveted by the Tigers organization. I guess we've known that all along, though. They may be prepared to exceed the Marlins price. We should know soon.

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

If the Tigers really want him that badly, I think they can get him.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

MotorCityKitty is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    If the Tigers really want him that badly, I think they can get him.
    I really think that they have a shot at it as well. But do you think if the Marlins offer is close to what the Tigers is, that he would prefer the Latino base and warmer climate of Miami? I believe the Marlins think that they have the upper hand because of those two things.

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan

Where are the Marlins getting all of this money? Seriously..
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityKitty View Post
    I really think that they have a shot at it as well. But do you think if the Marlins offer is close to what the Tigers is, that he would prefer the Latino base and warmer climate of Miami? I believe the Marlins think that they have the upper hand because of those two things.
    Miami?

Detroit?

All things equal I'd say he'd choose Miami. A) It's Miami. B) They have an opening in CF.

So, whatever "stupid" money Miami has to offer.....we'll have to offer more.

At this point, I guess it comes down to what each team considers "stupid."

If Reyes or Pujols are any indication..........their definition of stupid would be in agreement with Websters.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    Where are the Marlins getting all of this money? Seriously..

It's going to get pretty ugly down there when all of this fails miserably. We'll see how ling it is before Reyes is on the DL.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

The difference in state income tax between Florida and other states could be a factor if the contract offers are equal. Also if he greatly prefers to play CF vs. LF and which teams would be willing to let him start in the majors right away.

Hopefully joining a winning organization will matter somewhat to him, and that would give the Tigers the edge over many of the teams rumored to be in on him. But in the end I suppose it will come down to who offers the most money.

MotorCityKitty is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Freehan_1968 View Post
    It's going to get pretty ugly down there when all of this fails miserably. We'll see how ling it is before Reyes is on the DL.
    It will get real bad down there when it all fails, and everyone is underperforming. Or when people get to the end of these contracts and they are "bad contracts". I know that one of the major hang ups with Pujols was that he wanted a no trade clause and Miami wouldn't give it to him, and why do you think that is? Because this year, or the next, when all of this fails, they are going to want to trade all those guys away.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    The difference in state income tax between Florida and other states could be a factor if the contract offers are equal. Also if he greatly prefers to play CF vs. LF and which teams would be willing to let him start in the majors right away.

Hopefully joining a winning organization will matter somewhat to him, and that would give the Tigers the edge over many of the teams rumored to be in on him. But in the end I suppose it will come down to who offers the most money.
    All he has to do is own a house in FL like every other baseball player does.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Excellent, but often overlooked, point.

I thought I remembered reading that you were taxed based on where the game was played. Either way I think there is more to it than owning a house there. I think you have to reside there X amount of days at the least. Am i crazy?

theroundsquare is online now MotownSports Fan

I'm not sure if owning a house there is sufficient to exempt a player from being taxed where his primary place of employment is, i.e., where his "home" team is. For example, I'm sure there are people on this board who work in the City of Detroit but live in the 'burbs. Even though your house is in the 'burbs, you must pay the City's income tax because that is where you work. I'm not an income tax specialist, but it seems to me that state income taxes are likely to use similar rules.

Or Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by theroundsquare View Post
    I'm not sure if owning a house there is sufficient to exempt a player from being taxed where his primary place of employment is, i.e., where his "home" team is. For example, I'm sure there are people on this board who work in the City of Detroit but live in the 'burbs. Even though your house is in the 'burbs, you must pay the City's income tax because that is where you work. I'm not an income tax specialist, but it seems to me that state income taxes are likely to use similar rules.
    I am guessing that if if residence is Florida (ie he BOUGHT a home there), he stays in hotels or a rental while in his home team state that his legal residence would be Florida.

Especially if he had family there...a wife and kids or just a wife.

I bet there is some legality about 'x number of days residing in that state'

I also know that if youlive in the burbs of Detroit and work in the city of Detroit you DO have to pay city taxes...not sure how that works with state taxes though...if you live in Florida, but 'work' (play baseball) in the city of Detroit you still have to pay city tax, but I wonder if you still pay state tax because technically you 'live' in Florida.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

I think that is where the tax break comes in...because Florida as a state does not have taxes...the state of Michigan has tax....it is sooo minimal though......I know we are talking about a larger amount of money, but it would be like me going out of my way to live in another state to save 500.00...maybe when you make 10 million a year and that number jumps to 50k or something it may seem worth it, but it is all relative...the whole 'we make a lot of money, but we spend alot of money' thing.

Again when taken in perspective: How far are you willing to save 500.00? Looking at my tax return now and it is a little more than 500.00 ....around 750.00.

4hzglory is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    I think that is where the tax break comes in...because Florida as a state does not have taxes...the state of Michigan has tax....it is sooo minimal though......I know we are talking about a larger amount of money, but it would be like me going out of my way to live in another state to save 500.00...maybe when you make 10 million a year and that number jumps to 50k or something it may seem worth it, but it is all relative...the whole 'we make a lot of money, but we spend alot of money' thing.

Again when taken in perspective: How far are you willing to save 500.00? Looking at my tax return now and it is a little more than 500.00 ....around 750.00.
    I've always heard athletes are charged where they earned the $ (where the games are played) thus they have extremely complicated returns. So having 1/2 your games in FL or TX would make a significant difference. The other 1/2 are taxed by the state they play (so having the Mets and Philly in your division with the unbalanced schedule would add significant state taxes.) Either way, it is a benefit to play for a low or no state tax team, however 50% not 100%.
    Micah 7:7

Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast