All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Maybe I'm missing something but the 40 /= the 25 (or is it 27/28 for this Sept?) No-one has to play a game with ML team to be protected from the Rule 5.
  3. From Fenech's chat...who has to be added to the 40 man to avoid being exposed in the rule 5 draft? Or is this just beat writer nonsense? I'd say it's all dependent on the Tigers' positional situation, but I wouldn't expect them to push any of those prospects before they, a) Prove they should be promoted to the big leagues or b) Need to be promoted. Some of those names you mention are shoo-ins to be promoted in September, as they need to be added to the 40-man roster in order to be protected from the Rule 5 draft next offseason. Even though the Tigers are preaching patience in the process, they won't hesitate to promote a prospect if they're performing. So far, nobody at Toledo has stood out. Others — Funkhouser, Burrows — have been injured. Even if Lugo can't stay above water, Willi Castro might still be behind Harold Castro in the pecking order: Harold Castro handles himself well.
  4. I agree. Miguel sort of has/had two swings, one where he puts the front foot down and then swings - his batting average swing, and the bigger one where he steps into the ball like most guys. Cabrera is so strong he gets good exit velocity going up the middle/RF even flat footed using only his upper body, but that swing does not lift the ball, does not put it in the seats, and it seems that is the swing he is using pretty much all the time now. I saw him take a couple of bigger swings once over the weekend, but that was it. I'd love to see what he is doing in BP. We can see the what, we just don't know the why.
  5. You’ll have to forgive my snarkiness, but I feel like you asked for it by making such a broad absolute claim about book vs movie. I read LOTR, Jurassic Park, and fight club before seeing the films. The others on that list I read after seeing the films. I suppose there is something to be said about which you have read/seen first. I don’t necessarily agree that there is more nuance in books. Sometimes there is. Sometimes it is simply just more plot or just different plot. But even in the case where a book can provide more nuance or simply more of a good thing, there are things a book cannot do that a film can. A book cannot provide great acting performances, cinematography, and music. Those things have value. A movie is more than just a script, and it is often the case where those other aspects can provide more value to outweigh what may be a reduction in the story told. Other times a more concise plot can be an improvement. Regardless, I don’t disagree with any of the general points you made about what a book version can provide. I just don’t agree that it is always the case.
  6. I wish the election was shorter and the term of office were shorter.
  7. She's seen pretty much for what she is. He's living echoed glory of what was a protest against the party in 2016 for coronation of Hillary the Enabler of Will the Popular but Impeached.
  8. I am at the point where I don't want to hear a candidate say a word during a campaign, because everything said during a campaign is in general total trash. When it comes to candidates for office, all I want is your bio, what you have done and worked for in the past, what you have opposed and worked against in the past, and what you have said in the past when when you were not running for office. Once someone declares I am not really interested in anything they have to say from that point until the election. It's garbage. Campaigns are pretty much the worst way to elect people.
  9. It sounds good. I think I will add it to the list.
  10. Please Lord, if you love the Tigers...gift them a couple dynamic position players in the draft.
  11. I thought Trump would be a difficult pill for a lot of people. Sanders had strong support in 2016 and I think would have gotten a larger turnout than Hillary. Sanders also pulled out Michigan in the primary by over performing in Macomb County and West Michigan. I think Sanders would have won against Trump. He was the outsider/change candidate who wasn't insane.
  12. Bernie would be a difficult pill for a lot of people. Tulsi Gabbard would be as well.
  13. Today
  14. No, hockey players are tough. They play as many games as they can and a lot of times with really painful injuries. Most basketball players nowadays are delicate flowers.
  15. The few times this year I have watched Miggy at bat .. seems he does not use his back leg to push off in order to generate power. He uses his upperbody ..mostly his arms. Moreover, he seems to have 'slow' bat speed that aims for the pitch instead of a powerful overswing. And, as he seems to have always had ..he still has an mixed approach to lifting/setting front leg when stepping into the pitch. Sometimes no step at all. But then again, ..hasn't Miggy almost always used his upper body more than his leg push while swinging?
  16. 10s of fans will be in attendance.
  17. HFRO in novel form is a much much more elaborate plot and the real hero in the story is more the US Navy's ability to pull off an incredibly complex piece of naval ballet - actually make that Naval Kabuki Theatre. In the book the appeal is in all the micro detail like how Ramius and the other officers built an elaborate ruse to persuade the enlisted crew there were radiation leaks and they had to get off the ship. Clancey loves to drill very deeply into the minutia of his subject - and since I'm interested in Naval technology I found it fun. I didn't enjoy a couple of his other books as much because I didn't really care about the subject he went into similar detail about - i.e. drugs/terrorism
  18. He wasn't a completely useless mutt. He helped acquire Gum Time.
  19. You know, I didn't think about it before, but they never mentioned the status of the squirrel.
  20. No mention of Bruce Brown's 2 second team votes?
  21. Hunt for Red October is in the top 10 movies all time for me...never read the book though so I cannot compare the 2. Not sure why I never read the book TBH. I am not sure if I have read any Tom Clancy.
  22. No need to get snarky. I was not trying to be snarky in my reply and no idea 'hot take' was offensive or something. Books get into mind sets and backgrounds that are not typically in the movie versions. There is more nuance in books. I have never heard of a movie that gets into more detail than the book. As of today I know someone who thinks there are some movies that are better than the books. I did not know anyone like that before which is why I said it was a 'hot take'....because to me it was. More times than not I read a book before it becomes a movie. Out of the movies you listed I am assuming you read the books? If you did which did you read/see first? I have never seen a movie then looked for the book versions. I read a lot, when a book I like becomes a movie I see it. I have never seen a movie that compared to the book...I am not even sure if one came close.
  23. Interesting. I read quite a few of the Tom Clancy novels back in the day. It’s hard to keep all of them straight, though, especially in light of the films. Hunt for red October was the best of the films, for sure. I would have loved to see an on-screen version of red storm rising. Would probably need to be a tv series.
  24. Now I've seen some of the British serializations of LWW, and I have to say that I almost always find British made films with kids to be unbearably sappy and to me these were no exception - though Tilda Swinton was an awesome White Witch. I'll jump into frying pan here by adding I'm not a big fan of Pacino or Keaton and I really can't get past the oxymoronic premise of the good-guy gangster that the GF and gangster movies in general represent as a genre, but that is just me. Not that I loved the GF as a book all that much, but the movie really didn't do anything for me. Coppola can be a genius technically, but at some point it like looking at the movement of Swiss Watch; impressive but I don't care about it.
  25. It's really hard to compare to previous cycles because social media has changed everything. I remember in early 2008 John McCain on the campaign trail... by himself. He was literally on a train with a bag going to an event. He was way down in the GOP polls. Everyone thought it was going to be Hillary vs Rudy.
  1. Load more activity