Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Default 2014 World Cup thread

I'm a little shocked the draw hasn't been posted here yet. Maybe this is a good time to start a World Cup thread, even if it might go through periods of months without posts. Today's draw is as good a reason to start it as any other.

US gets
    Ghana (June 16, 6 p.m.)
    Portugal (June 22, 3 p.m.)
    Germany (June 26, Noon)

It's a tough group, but you have to play somebody. Embrace the opportunity.

Here is the link for the entire draw.
    2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil? - Final Draw - FIFA.com
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Blue Square Thing is offline MotownSports Fan

Here's the full draw btw:

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon

Group B: Spain, Holland, Chile, Australia

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Cote d'Ivoire, Japan

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria

Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korea Republic

I'd say B, G and D fairly tough groups. The others all have potential for a form team to upset someone. I wonder what odds you can get on Brazil not getting through the group stage? ;-)

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

You could argue that G is the toughest due to Ghana being decent.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Germany has a better draw than Spain, for instance. I bet Spain would switch places with Germany in a heartbeat.

On the bright side for the US, if they can advance, their first round knockout opponent comes from weak group H. And the second round would come from E or F.

England are in decent position. It could be worse. But it could also have been a lot better.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan

screeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwed.

here's to 2018!
    GO TIGERS

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    You could argue that G is the toughest due to Ghana being decent.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Germany has a better draw than Spain, for instance. I bet Spain would switch places with Germany in a heartbeat.
    I'm not convinced of that actually - it looks pretty even to me. There's a strong opinion which suggests that Spain - Chile isn't actually all that close a match for example.

But I guess we'll see - not quite sure how the games will end up being played in terms of geography. I think England starts in Manaus, probably against Italy. Tbh I don't think either team will much like that - especially as they then seem to go to the south-east to play the other games. The prevailing opinion here just now seems to be that they won't get past the group stage, although I imagine that will depend a bit on which Uruguayan team turns up. The geography will probably help them though, and Italy are Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Square Thing View Post
    I'm not convinced of that actually - it looks pretty even to me. There's a strong opinion which suggests that Spain - Chile isn't actually all that close a match for example.

But I guess we'll see - not quite sure how the games will end up being played in terms of geography. I think England starts in Manaus, probably against Italy. Tbh I don't think either team will much like that - especially as they then seem to go to the south-east to play the other games. The prevailing opinion here just now seems to be that they won't get past the group stage, although I imagine that will depend a bit on which Uruguayan team turns up. The geography will probably help them though, and Italy are Italy.
    I guess my view is that for a team like Spain or Germany, you aren't bothered by the quality of the 4th team in the group. You are getting three points regardless.

So would you rather have Netherlands-chile or Portugal-USA? The former seems more difficult than the latter, IMO.

Much of a muchness really isn't it?

lordstanley is offline MotownSports Fan

Once again Canada's invitation to the World Cup got lost in the mail.

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

I think best case scenario for the US is beat Ghana and Portugal then hope to not get smoked by Germany after the long travel back to the coast. But to be taken seriously by the rest of the world, they finally need to go out and beat people and here is their chance.

After looking up the cities the US is playing in, it is the equivilant of traveling from Seattle to Key West then back to Portland. Brutal
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Chile is better than the USA. Spain is in the tougher group on paper. However, Spain will fare better against Chile than most teams. The USA might pose a more difficult game for Spain because they would (hopefully) park the bus and hit on the counter. Chile will play with Spain and likely get beat 3-1 or 4-2 because of it.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Here's the full draw btw:

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon

Group B: Spain, Holland, Chile, Australia

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Cote d'Ivoire, Japan

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria

Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korea Republic

I'd say B, G and D fairly tough groups. The others all have potential for a form team to upset someone. I wonder what odds you can get on Brazil not getting through the group stage? ;-)
    On first blush, looks like Argentina have a pretty clear road to the Final. Argentina-Germany again?

Could be Brazil-Spain in Round of 16. Brutal.

On the subject of toughest groups, some analysis at the Guardian - interesting way of doing things.

Who has the hardest World Cup 2014 draw?

Not that it makes a jot of difference of course, although it does claim you guys have the third hardest schedule (after Ghana and Australia...).

Should I make a US thread for 2014?

The US will play Korea after their camp on Feb. 1. It's a Saturday at 5 p.m. if I did my time adjustment properly.

Here's a link
    U.S. MNT to Face Korea Republic on Feb. 1 in Carson, Calif. - U.S. Soccer
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

A few things. First off, a reminder that the Korea game is approaching. It's Feb. 1.

However, a friendly at Ukraine has been scheduled as well on March 5. The time is to be determined.

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

It's so hard to keep track of soccer. It seems like there isn't any sort of off-season.

I've gotten lazy. There's a friendly set up against Mexico on April 2 at the University of Phoenix.
    It'll be on ESPN2. Not sure what type of lineup there will be at the game.

This sounds like it could be a great steal for US men's soccer if it ever happens. But two days of training is probably just that. It's hard to figure out why he would want to leave Germany's team for the US if he's a lock to eventually be a key part of that team. But hey, this Julian Green story might be one worth watching to see if it does become more than this.

Y! SPORTS

I guess it depends on whether he feels he'd ever get a game for Germany. They obviously have a much deeper pool of top class players to call on. I can see a situation where me might consider that he's never going to play anything other than the odd friendly for Germany but could nail down a place in the US team for a decade.

To be honest I've no idea how good he is - not that that doesn't mean he's any good of course, just that I don't really follow football at that level :-)

I think that's exactly it. If he gets some sort of indication or assurance that he would go to Brazil with the US this year, I think he could be persuaded to file the paperwork.

If it isn't going to happen this year, then he gets another couple years before having to make a decision. He can continue playing in German friendlies and u-23 tournaments and still maintain his chance to switch to the us.

With euro qualifying beginning in September, Germany will have plenty of chances to lock him in after the World Cup.

If neither team presents a chance at a World Cup spot this summer, I think he ends up tied to Germany at some point during euro qualifying.

That's my take on it as well. But he hasn't even started the process of making the switch to the US. There's very little chance of getting him acclimated to the team prior to the World Cup, so it's hard to see where he fits in the US' plans for this World Cup cycle at least.

He must've realized he had little chance of playing for Germany, but probably is in the plans for four years from now.

Would Klinsmann push for it and put him on the team just to lock him up? Gosh, it would have to happen pretty quickly I'd have to guess.

The US-Ukraine game is about to start.

They just mentioned there will be three more friendlies reported tomorrow. Of course, Mexico is already on the list, so it looks like at least four more games until the World Cup starts.

I just finished watching the game about an hour ago.
    2-0 Ukraine
    Pretty uninspired effort by the US.

Pretty uninspired broadcast. In the first half they had two commercial breaks during action (at least they did on my TV) and then we had about five minutes blacked out starting around the 86th minute (again, at least that was the case for me).

No one helped their stock. Some on the back line pretty much killed their stock.

Looking for the other friendlies supposedly going to be added today. I don't see them yet.

Looking for the US friendlies, I tripped on this article about many other nations having friendlies in the US prior to the World Cup. I wish some of these were a bit closer. This is pretty cool.

May 29 Turkey vs. Honduras RFK Stadium, Washington D.C.

May 30 Bosnia and Herzegovina vs. Ivory Coast TBA

June 1 Honduras vs. Israel BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston

June 3 Greece vs. Nigeria PPL Park, Chester, Pa.

June 4 Ivory Coast vs. El Salvador Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas

June 6 Greece vs. Bolivia Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.

June 7 Spain vs. El Salvador FedEx Field, Landover, Md.

Schedule and venues announced for "Road to Brazil" friendly matches

Whoops, I posted in the US soccer thread also, but Julian green has decided to play for the US.

Announcement in the next couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    Whoops, I posted in the US soccer thread also, but Julian green has decided to play for the US.

Announcement in the next couple days.
    Thanks,
    I'll have to look for the announcement.

They announced it already. The paperwork has been filed.

The only question is whether the approval from FIFA comes in time for him to play vs mexico or not.

Donovan out of the World Cup.

I'm shocked Klinsmann thinks that there is no place Donovan can make an impact on this team, yet there are players on this roster that have less than a game's worth of playing experience on the team.

Even at 32, Donovan presents class that few in the US can touch, and is a player opponents will fear - even if it was just for 20 minutes as a sub. The US has nothing that represents Donovan on this team. I know Klinsmann had his issues with Donovan. I know he wanted people to earn their spots on the team. But having players that hardly were part of the process over the last four years suddenly make the team displays he picked and chose where that message was important to him.

Donovan remains one of the top 2-3 players on the pitch in the US. His exclusion makes little sense.

Donovan is old and slow and shows sporadic motivation. Some days he wants to play soccer, some days he wants to "find himself" in Tibet.

He's always been a flake. A stereotypical California kid.

Klinsmann wants young legs for the most part to press and run around in the heat of Brazil. That being said, Donovan should have been on the team even if he isn't playing well right now. He's better than a couple of their guys.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Those noon games are going to be brutal.

A week from today usmnt starts their World Cup against Ghana.

It's not exactly a must win because they can still beat Portugal and draw Germany.

Regardless of what happens, we have two games against big teams and the third has the Ghana revenge factor.

I'm going to do my best enjoy them, even if we don't advance.

But if we do advance, we'd be matched against Belgium or Russia in the round of 16, most likely.

It would be pretty cool to make a quarterfinal again.

Blog Entries

The only thing I know about American soccer is that the coach is German and keeps saying that the US cannot win. That seems extremely un-American.

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    The only thing I know about American soccer is that the coach is German and keeps saying that the US cannot win. That seems extremely un-American.
    saying sensible things is entirely unamerican.

the germans are much more "matter of fact" than we are. We blow more smoke up more behinds than most people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    saying sensible things is entirely unamerican.

the germans are much more "matter of fact" than we are. We blow more smoke up more behinds than most people.
    I would argue that saying, "we cannot win," is simply hyperbolic and not at all matter of fact. Fact is, you don't know what happens when the ball is put into play. I don't find his statement sensible at all. It has had a good effect of making people who already dislike soccer hate it even more though.

I believe his recent quote was "For us talking about winning a World Cup, it is just not realistic. If it American or not, you can correct me."

"Every game is the next step to a bigger goal. We are not shying away from anybody, but we've first for to make it out of the group. So let's stay with our feet on the ground and say 'Let's get that group first done.' Then the sky is the limit. But before...to say that we should win the World Cup, that's just not realistic."

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

I feel like soccer coaches all the time (or maybe just European coaches?) say their teams can't win, etc. I always figured it was a weird motivational tool or not letting anybody get overconfident.
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    I would argue that saying, "we cannot win," is simply hyperbolic and not at all matter of fact. Fact is, you don't know what happens when the ball is put into play. I don't find his statement sensible at all. It has had a good effect of making people who already dislike soccer hate it even more though.
    Thats because youre an american and are used to american sports and mentality. Coaches do that in other countries all the time, and not in the lou-holtz-praising-navy way.

how many times has an english league coach said "our goal is to stay up"? Everyone knows there are only a few teams who will win it. Realistic expectations are not a crime.

If klinsmann's quote makes you not like soccer, then you were never going to like it anyway. Which is fine, its not for everyone.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast