ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Justin Verlander gives Tiger Fans heart attacks

'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

Walt is offline MotownSports Fan

Morosi was going on about how JV feels like part of Detroit and wants to stay with one team for his career just prior to this. He is just recycling the same material into another article to get pageclicks.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

ben9753 is offline MotownSports Fan

If Pujols could leave St. Louis, anybody can leave any city. He was more a part of that city and team than either Verlander or Cabrera is to the Tigers and Detroit.

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

It is an absolute gamble.

The best thing we can hope for (really IMO) is that JV is pedestrian this year, but still good and decides to sign an extension at the end of next year at a reduced rate.

JV could gamble that this year will be just as good as the last 2 and sign a RIDICULOUS deal in 2015 if it is.

or

JV could gamble that this year will be just as good as the last 2 and sign a pedestrian deal in 2015 if it is not.

He has to hedge his bet between the two. If he takes an extension now (not sure if they are even talking about it or not) is the difference between that and what he would get if he has normal years the next 2?
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

If the Tigers give him 6 years on top of his current 2/40 deal at 160 MM, do you really think he goes somewhere for the extra potential 20-30MM? That's silly.

Pay the man...make him a franchise fixture.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    If the Tigers give him 6 years on top of his current 2/40 deal at 160 MM, do you really think he goes somewhere for the extra potential 20-30MM? That's silly.
    I would, and I'm a die hard Tigers fan. $20-30 million, that's a lot of money. Certainly more than enough to risk injury for over the next two seasons prior to free agency.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

hammb is offline MotownSports Fan

Personally I think Verlander & Cabrera are the two players I'd go above and beyond what seems rational to sign. I don't even care if it somewhat limits our ability to sign other FAs in the future. These guys are both future HoF talents that have played their primes in Detroit. Pay them to play out the rest of their careers (or the bulk of them) in Detroit. Then build them a couple statues in the RCF area and be done with it.

To me those two guys are worth going to the ball park for, they're worth buying merchandise for, and they're worth telling my future kids about. They ARE worth way more to Detroit than their on field accomplishments would dictate, IMO.

mtdman is offline MotownSports Fan

Hopefully Mike wraps him up in the next year or so while he's still around. No way Illitch lets Verlander go anywhere. He'll get paid.

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ben9753 View Post
    If Pujols could leave St. Louis, anybody can leave any city. He was more a part of that city and team than either Verlander or Cabrera is to the Tigers and Detroit.
    The problem may have been St. Louis refusing to pay Albert for all he would continue to do (?) and had done for them. The Cards took a huge PR hit losing him. I would hope Verlander gives the Tigers a chance to come close to whatever he's offered.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    6 years at $160 million would be $26.6 a year. Nice start, but if King Felix is worth $25 million per year in 2013, how much would Verlander be worth in Jan or Feb of 2016? $30 million a year?

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    I would, and I'm a die hard Tigers fan. $20-30 million, that's a lot of money. Certainly more than enough to risk injury for over the next two seasons prior to free agency.
    If the Tigers were to offer him 6 years at $160 million right now, I would hope Justin would take it. The Tigers would be taking a big risk and Verlander wouldn't have to worry about it during the actual season(s).
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

Turnbuckle is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hammb View Post
    Personally I think Verlander & Cabrera are the two players I'd go above and beyond what seems rational to sign. I don't even care if it somewhat limits our ability to sign other FAs in the future. These guys are both future HoF talents that have played their primes in Detroit. Pay them to play out the rest of their careers (or the bulk of them) in Detroit. Then build them a couple statues in the RCF area and be done with it.

To me those two guys are worth going to the ball park for, they're worth buying merchandise for, and they're worth telling my future kids about. They ARE worth way more to Detroit than their on field accomplishments would dictate, IMO.
    I'm scared of us doing this but I agree with you completely. Flags fly forever, but statues also stand the test of time. Verlander being sort of homegrown makes me feel that way just a little bit more than Cabrera, but both are players I would like to play out their careers as Tigers...or at least play out their useful years.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hammb View Post

I agree completely about Verlander.

Cabrera is a tougher one for me because of Fielder's contract and the fact that both may end up needing to play DH at the same time in the future. Cabrera I suspect can outlast Fielder defensively, and my concern may end up being a moot point. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to extending Cabrera, but I would be more mindful of his contract than I would Verlander.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    Of course 20-30MM is a lot of money, compared to having 0. 220-230 compared to 200 isn't a big difference.

Justin should get a aviation license. He could afford a good number of F-16s with that cash. Or, if he prefers, he'd have enough for a frigate

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

This gave me the heart attack

Kate Upton describes her body