hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Tigertown Lakeland Evolving?

For over a year there has been discussion about improving the stadium and facilities. Tomorrow the process begins as former Parks and Recreation Director Bill Tinsley begins selling the ideas to the City Commission. Tinsley is now the Liaison in a position the city created to work with the Detroit Tigers to insure there Winter Home remains at Tigertown.

Tiger Town Improvements to be Proposed By Lakeland City Officials at Workshop | TheLedger.com

Tiger Town Improvements to be Proposed By Lakeland City Officials at Workshop
    New features would include a concourse around Joker Marchant Stadium.

By John Chambliss
    THE LEDGER

Published: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 11:44 p.m.
    Last Modified: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 11:44 p.m.

LAKELAND | Spring training at Tiger Town may take on a new look in a few years.

Lakeland city officials and the Detroit Tigers are considering another round of multimillion-dollar improvements to the complex that has seen a series of upgrades over the years.
    Full story in the link.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

I love the fact that it appears that the Tigers will stay in Lakeland for years to come.....

mmwatkin is offline MotownSports Fan

I would love it if JMS could have the walkable area beyond the OF fence. The outfield boardwalk area at the Rays' spring training home is fantastic.

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Seriously, they could do more to improve the fan experience. I love the place but they could theoretically add some features that would appeal to the mass of customers they have on game days.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

I see an issue in right field with the proximity of the clubhouse, cages and bullpen. The current bullpen was added in the last renovation.

Also came across this Win A Week in Lakeland

Catch Central Florida

VT

fyrftrjim is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    For over a year there has been discussion about improving the stadium and facilities. Tomorrow the process begins as former Parks and Recreation Director Bill Tinsley begins selling the ideas to the City Commission. Tinsley is now the Liaison in a position the city created to work with the Detroit Tigers to insure there Winter Home remains at Tigertown.

Tiger Town Improvements to be Proposed By Lakeland City Officials at Workshop | TheLedger.com

Full story in the link.
    Would love to see this happen, especially on those hot March days. In the 10 years of living in Lakeland, never experienced those hot March days.
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading

AAT Devin Travis 2B

MotownWebGuy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by fyrftrjim View Post
    Would love to see this happen, especially on those hot March days. In the 10 years of living in Lakeland, never experienced those hot March days.
    In the late 80's and early 90's, I recall attending a few games in March where it hit 90+ degrees at game time. Coming down from the cold of Michigan in March, anything above 80+ seems like a shock to your system. A gift shop with A/C would be a nice addition for us snowbirds.
    I'm Motown W. Guy and I approve this message...

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I've definitely seen 90's in March.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

To me March April and May feel the hottest whether the Wx data supports it or not. We get the last of the cold fronts giving us brief rains that will steam you in the aftermath, but not the cooling afternoon showers.

VT

Keepleyland2 is offline MotownSports Fan

I've been an advocate of cities paying to support their teams. But, as someone who visited lakeland for the first time a couple of years ago, it was a fine minor league/spring training stadium. If the Tigers feel they should upgrade it then the team should pay for it. Since its a A ball affiliate and used by the major league team for a month any renovations are going to cost under $30 million. The team, not the city, should foot the bill.
    Last edited by Keepleyland2; 01-19-2013 at 12:13 AM.

I don't see any need to spend $30 million. More shade is needed, the concession as well as the gift shop needs air. The part about artificial turf being needed to make one of the 5 training fields playable year round is bogus. All the fields are continually maintained and used at various times including those months. Every field will be in use for the next two weeks.

VT

Keepleyland2 is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't see any need to spend $30 million. More shade is needed, the concession as well as the gift shop needs air. The part about artificial turf being needed to make one of the 5 training fields playable year round is bogus. All the fields are continually maintained and used at various times including those months. Every field will be in use for the next two weeks.
    I was just going by the maximum cost in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleyland2 View Post
    I was just going by the maximum cost in the article.
    There are some local politics going on not only with the stadium, but also with the presenter. I wasn't rebutting your post. Bill Tinsley has been great for the city and is well respected. His current position, I'm not sure we need.

VT

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

Ingefan says it's not possible for it to evolve.
    Last edited by Antrat; 01-19-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    My neighbor thinks I'm following or even stalking her, she is worried that I may be obsessed with her and any time she hears a noise in her house she is...purified? Oh, wait: petrified. Sorry, it's not easy reading a diary through binoculars from a tree.

#1Barbaro Garbey Fan is offline MotownSports Fan

oh no! anytime they "renovate" these stadiums, they become LESS fan friendly. When I first started to go to lakeland, you pretty much could go anywhere around the complex, now its pretty restricted as is. Hope they dont edge the fans out

Espen1978 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Lakeland - Spring Training Capital of the World

My understanding is for the turf to help not "lose" games to the rain for the GCL games during the mid-day in summer time. There is another team in the GCL who has not been rained out because of having the turf field, that was installed a few years ago.
    2010 AAT - Jacob Turner 2009 AAT - Jeff Frazier 2008 AAT - Ryan Strieby
    LFT Fan of the Month - May '08

OhioTiger is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by #1Barbaro Garbey Fan View Post
    oh no! anytime they "renovate" these stadiums, they become LESS fan friendly. When I first started to go to lakeland, you pretty much could go anywhere around the complex, now its pretty restricted as is. Hope they dont edge the fans out
    You nailed it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by #1Barbaro Garbey Fan View Post
    Love to hear the examples of restrictions.

VT

Quote Originally Posted by Espen1978 View Post
    My understanding is for the turf to help not "lose" games to the rain for the GCL games during the mid-day in summer time. There is another team in the GCL who has not been rained out because of having the turf field, that was installed a few years ago.
    The plan was to turf Al Kaline Field which is the only field without improved drainage. So that sounds reasonable, but it also the highest minor league field with the most natural drainage. Anyone know about footwear on astro ball fields. do you wear cleats for base running and turf shoes for defense? Or is everything artificial?

VT

mmwatkin is offline MotownSports Fan

The plan was to turf Al Kaline Field which is the only field without improved drainage. So that sounds reasonable, but it also the highest minor league field with the most natural drainage. Anyone know about footwear on astro ball fields. do you wear cleats for base running and turf shoes for defense? Or is everything artificial?
    It would be the same situation for players as Tropicana Field or Rogers Centre.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Love to hear the examples of restrictions.
    I would imagine #1BGF is referring to all of the temporary fencing they put up to restrict fans during spring training now. That isn't a renovation though, so I have no idea. I don't see how adding on to the berm and adding a bar is going to restrict anyone from anything.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

I agree if it was the outside barriers, but a lot of that was mandated by MLB and the rest a combination or renewed Tigers popularity and Ron Myers. Yes I recall those days prerenovation when you could sit outside the clubhouse and watch Jones play with his kids and talk to players with the 30 fans who were out there.

VT

Chaz is offline MotownSports Fan

I would like to see tvs put in the concorse so we can see the game while standing in line like Erie has!

Dirk Diggler is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I would imagine #1BGF is referring to all of the temporary fencing they put up to restrict fans during spring training now. That isn't a renovation though, so I have no idea. I don't see how adding on to the berm and adding a bar is going to restrict anyone from anything.
    Not sure if it's the fencing he's referring too, but quite a bit of it is not "temporary". They've added permanent fencing in the back each of the past 2 years.
    Adopt-a-Tiger: 08' Lucas French, 09' Andrew Oliver 1-0 vs NCAA, 10' Daniel Fields

Adopt-a-Lion: 08' Dan Orlovsky, 09' Jeff Backus

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

Are fans still allowed to the back fields? In 2007 we walked back there the morning of a gameday and watched simulated games by the minor leaguers. We were able to stand right by the fence and listen to Brookens tell stories to the young guys. Wil Ledezma also threw in that game. It was a fun experience.
    "This is Michigan, for god's sake!"
    -Brady Hoke

Last year it took a couple weeks after the first game to get back there at all and only late in ST to go back on game day. Now i never went to the back fields on game days because I didn't wish to pay for parking..

A lot of new asphalt in the parking lot, runway and path to backfields.

VT

potthole is offline MotownSports Fan

With modern field turf, I'd say plastic cleats should be fine. Technically I would assume you could wear your metal cleats, although that might be a bit rough on the turf. See football players wearing their spikes all the time on it. That stuff isn't like the flat, hard carpet that old school Astrotruf was-- it's rather giving, and has "blades" of grass coming from it, along with a base of ground up rubber.

The college I graduated from just re-started its baseball team after a little over a decade off, thanks to a huge donation. They built a new field and it's all field turf-- including the entire infield. The "dirt" is painted on. Another college that's in town, that plays in the same league, just did the same thing with their brand-new field that opened in '12.
    Last edited by potthole; 01-25-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    2014 AAT: Jeff Jones

*ESTREPE1*
    VT