Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lousluggage is offline MotownSports Fan

I thought of choosing a team doctor or trainer and leaving the big whigs to people who know the game better than I... but after six years of drafting marginal players who mostly ended up... well, marginal I have decided to take one of my current favorites:

Austin Jackson, OF
    This spot, and a place in my heart, is reserved for TC.

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

I will pass on the names of Doug Fister, Brennan Boesch, and Quentin Berry among others to select fellow Lenawee County native Duane Below.

1. I saw him pitch for B-D agianst Blissfield in the district opener. He pitched against Paul Phillips (Pitched at Oakland, was a top 30 Jays prospect, wound up with the Rays, pitched in the Arizona Fall League, became a 6th year free agent, pitched in Indy ball before he won a championship this year pitching in Taiwan) and Derek Feldcamp (pitched at U of M and then in the Rays system).

2. I ended up graduating from Deerfield high school after transferring from Blissfield. Deerfield shares sports with Britton to form Britton Deerfield high school. My church parish and ex-girlfriend are also in Deerfield.

3. A few years ago, I was an assistant at this trade school for this Public Safety program. They were preparing to close the program because they deemed that we did not send enough students from our program into law enforcement. To counter this point we received past class rosters and reached out to those students to see if they used the skills learned in our program. One name I did not need to look up was a Mr. Duane Below. So we both finished a now defunct program. (Note- also while reaching out to past students I found one who was in the adult film industry.)

4. Hes been my dopt a Tiger before.

5. I do not want to jinx anyone so I will go with a player who will likely not play much of an MLB role, but heres to hoping that he will.

He was an excellent low leverage, long relief option who pulled us out of the fire early last year. Sadly, I think Leyland trusted him in some high leverage situations and he struggled, lost his confidence and then did not pitch enough until they sent him to Toledo where he was pretty terrible.
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

Kamakzie is offline MotownSports Fan

So SimpleSimon is on the clock with me on deck I guess..
    2014 AAT: Nick Castellanos | 2013 AAL: Nate Burleson
    Brian Bluhm Estrepe1 is #1
    RIP Brian Schultz beloved cousin 10/31/1971 - 12/18/2009

Porcelain God is offline MotownSports Fan

Sorry all, work always seems to screw up life. I select Doug Fister

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

And fishing!
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Kamakzie is offline MotownSports Fan

I select with the 20th Pick in the 2013 AAT draft... Torii Hunter.

2014 AAT: Nick Castellanos | 2013 AAL: Nate Burleson
    Brian Bluhm Estrepe1 is #1
    RIP Brian Schultz beloved cousin 10/31/1971 - 12/18/2009

Tramfan is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll go with a guy with the same first name as mine, only he can hit for a higher average, run faster and field his position better. The one, the only Andy Dirks ...

2013 Adopt a Tiger Andy Dirks
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."

Keepleyland2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tramfan View Post
    I'll go with a guy with the same first name as mine, only he can hit for a higher average, run faster and field his position better. The one, the only Andy Dirks ...
    So are you saying you got better power than dirks?

mike0618 is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 22nd pick i select phil coke. If last years playoffs are a sign of the future mr coke might be our closer or part of our closer situation this year.

Phil made us all proud with a mid to upper 90's fastball we didnt know he had! I am proud to say phil coke is my AAT
    AAT 2013 Phil coke
    AAT 2014 Jake Thompson

Simple Simon is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll take Alex Avila. He is going to have a bounce back year.
    2013 AAT: Alex Avila, C
    2009-2010, '10-11 AAP: Ben Wallace
    '08-'09 AAP: Richard "Rip" Hamilton2011 AAL: Roary the Lion

hueytaxi is online now MotownSports Fan

After winning this thing my first year, I've ridden behind the wheels of the bus ever since. But I like it. I have always selected a junior player and always had fine options. And Yooper, great respect for your passing on your premium selection.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

Blog Entries

Mr. Green is a fine young man, actually believe I got the cream of the crop Roger. :-)
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Bambino Lino is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 23rd pick in the 2013 AAT Draft, Bambino Lino selects one of the three Tigers to play in both the 2006 and 2012 World Series..

OH-MAHHHH!
    Last edited by Bambino Lino; 01-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    2012 record at Tigers games: 15-13 (regular season), 1-2 (postseason)
    2012 Adopt-A-Tiger: Delmon Young, ALCS MVP
    Follow me! Do it. @BambinoLino

sagnam is offline MotownSports Fan

With #24 I select #24...

Jesus Ustariz

Last edited by sagnam; 01-19-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    AAL: Ndamukong Suh | AAW: Nicklas Lidström | AAT: Anthony Castro

bosman is offline MotownSports Fan

with the 25th and last single pick bosman selects Thomas Dale Brookens
    AAT 2009 Danny Worth
    AAT 2013 Tommy Brookens

hueytaxi is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    Mr. Green is a fine young man, actually believe I got the cream of the crop Roger. :-)
    I missed that........I think he knows you adopted him:

Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

Is it me, or is this thread less active than usual?

Blog Entries

A bit quieter, and fewer signed up this year - but the picks have been moving nicely. :-)
    VT

Tramlou is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll select our # 5 starter, one Drew Smyly

Last edited by Tramlou; 01-20-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    2014 AAT: Dean Green
    VT

clemma is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll select Dave Dombrowski

mckibbka is offline MotownSports Fan

I will select Al-Al!
    2013 AAT: Al Alburquerque
    2012 AAT: MIGUEL CABRERA--MVP and Triple Crown Winner
    VT

CanTig is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 32nd Pick my 2013 AAT will be 1B Jordan Lennerton, I will be back with more detail
    2014 Adopt A Tiger #80 1B Aaron Westlake
    https://twitter.com/LeafsTigers

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 31st pick I will take our Tiger shortstop Jhonny Peralta. Hopefully he has a bounce back season and adds more pop to the bottom of the order
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

Blog Entries

goast8127 proudly selects the slick fielding:

Danny Worth

VT

Blog Entries

TigersSlappy agrees to adopt Sotir and Sultana's kid:

Michael Ilitch, Sr.
    VT

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 34th selection in the 2013 Adopt a Tiger Draft I select arguably the best owner in baseball - Mr. Ilitch.

========

As a Tiger fan I appreciate the effort he's made to bring a winner to Detroit and to keep winning.

The most stunning example of community outreach did not involve a nonprofit organization but a bankrupt one. At the end of last season General Motors decided it could no longer afford to sponsor the fountain over the centerfield fence at Comerica Park, which shoots great plumes into the air whenever a Tiger hits a home run. The fountain is the most valuable piece of advertising space in the stadium, and two corporations quickly expressed interest in taking GM's place. One offered to pay $1.5 million for three years. Mike Ilitch, the Tigers' owner, considered the offer seriously. Then he rejected it in favor of a deal that would pay him nothing at all. Ilitch kept the GM name where it was, free of charge, and added the Ford and Chrysler logos on each flank, over the message: THE DETROIT TIGERS SUPPORT OUR AUTOMAKERS. To emphasize the point, the Tigers invited one employee from each of the embattled car giants to throw out the first pitch on Opening Day. Before GM inspector Loretta Abiodun went into her windup, she turned and looked at the fountain. "It was breathtaking," she says.

The deal made perfect sense to Ilitch, a pizza mogul who was born in Detroit, whose father worked as a tool- and die-maker for Chrysler and who still refers to Ford as Ford's, as if it were a neighborhood drugstore. He is a businessman by trade, but he is consumed with two causes that don't always lend themselves to profit. "Turning around our city," he says, "and winning the World Series." Ilitch, who is 80, wants to see those goals realized in his lifetime, which helps explain how the Tigers have managed to keep payroll high, ticket prices relatively low and the community-relations budget constant in a period of plummeting revenue. As one major league executive puts it, "Their owner doesn't operate from a profit-and-loss standpoint. He treats the team more like a public trust."

Ilitch has won four Stanley Cups as owner of the Red Wings, but you get the sense he'd trade one or two of them for a World Series trophy. Before Ilitch started Little Caesars Pizza, he played shortstop at Detroit's Cooley High, and when he graduated, the Tigers tried to sign him for $5,000. A tough negotiator even then, Ilitch insisted they double their offer. When the team balked, Ilitch joined the Marine Corps. After a four-year tour of duty he finally reported to the Tigers' minor league affiliate in Tampa, but he hurt his knee catching a pass in a recreation-league football game and lost his greatest asset, his speed. "That still haunts me," Ilitch says. "I often wonder, Could I have made it to the major leagues if I had never hurt my knee?"

========

He's brought us stars and kept them here by paying them fairly, that means a lot to me after seeing Gibby, Lance and Jack leave in the 80's.

=======

Next I'd like to see him hoist a WS trophy in addition to more of these:

========

Then we'd see this look again, as he shared our joy.

======

I hope all Tiger fans join me in appreciating him for what he does.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

CanTig is offline MotownSports Fan

Jordan Lennerton
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jordan Lennerton
    Detroit Tigers
    First baseman
    Born: February 16, 1986 (age 26)
    Langley, British Columbia
    Bats: Left Throws: Left
    Jordan M. Lennerton (born February 16, 1986) is a Canadian professional baseball player. A first baseman, Lennerton plays in minor league baseball for the Detroit Tigers organization.
    Contents [hide]
    1 Amateur career
    2 Professional career
    3 International career
    4 References
    5 External links
    [edit]Amateur career

Lennerton grew up in Langley, British Columbia, where he played Little League Baseball. His team reached the 1998 Little League World Series. Lennerton hit a home run in a game against a team from Japan. He attended Brookswood Secondary School[1] and also played amateur baseball for the Langley Blaze of the British Columbia Premier Baseball League.[2]
    Lennerton attended El Paso Community College.[2] He then transferred to Oregon State University, where he played for the Oregon State Beavers baseball team. He hit 3 home runs in the 2007 College World Series, which Oregon State won.[3] In 2008, he was named to the All-Pacific-10 Conference team.[4]
    [edit]Professional career

The Detroit Tigers drafted Lennerton in the 33rd round of the 2008 MLB Draft.[4] In 2012, while playing for the Erie SeaWolves, he was named to the Eastern League all-star game as well as being named Detroit Tigers organizational all star. Named top defensive first baseman in the Eastern League by Baseball America in 2012.[5]
    [edit]International career

Lennerton played for the Canadian national baseball team in the 2013 World Baseball Classic qualifying round.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger #80 1B Aaron Westlake
    https://twitter.com/LeafsTigers

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Hope I didn't hold anybody up, but things have been a little hectic at my house. At 2:30 Sunday morning, I lost the man who introduced me to Tigers baseball as a child. My dad was such a beautiful connection to the past of Tigers baseball, always sharing stories with me about his favorite players. He was a huge fan of guys like Mickey Stanley, who could play so many different positions, so I thought about taking Don Kelly with my choice this year - but I've decided to go in a different direction. My parents were separated when I was 2, so I only saw my dad on weekends. Still, every Saturday he'd be there like clockwork, & we'd spend summers playing catch and listening to Ernie Harwell & Paul Carey do the broadcasts. It was this time together that gave me a love not only for baseball, but for radio - which I have made my profession for more than half my life. So with my pick in the 2013 AAT Draft, I select:

DAN DICKERSON, PLAY BY PLAY ANNOUNCER
    2014 AAT:Daniel Fields All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infant’s life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Blog Entries

Thanks Hutch, the family is in our thoughts and prayers tonight.
    VT

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    Hope I didn't hold anybody up, but things have been a little hectic at my house. At 2:30 Sunday morning, I lost the man who introduced me to Tigers baseball as a child. My dad was such a beautiful connection to the past of Tigers baseball, always sharing stories with me about his favorite players. He was a huge fan of guys like Mickey Stanley, who could play so many different positions, so I thought about taking Don Kelly with my choice this year - but I've decided to go in a different direction. My parents were separated when I was 2, so I only saw my dad on weekends. Still, every Saturday he'd be there like clockwork, & we'd spend summers playing catch and listening to Ernie Harwell & Paul Carey do the broadcasts. It was this time together that gave me a love not only for baseball, but for radio - which I have made my profession for more than half my life. So with my pick in the 2013 AAT Draft, I select:

sorry to hear that DJ
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

hardysf is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll select Benoit:

Blog Entries

CO3RA selects:

Drew VerHagen, SP
    VT

wolverinefan is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm going to take a flier on a guy that had a darned good year last year, Tommy Collier.

Thanks for doing this, Yoop!
    VT
    2014 AAT - Hernan Perez
    CMW KMK CRV

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

With the 38th selection . . . . . davidsb selects . . . . . the Marlboro Man . . . . . Perrysburg very own . . . . .

Jim Leyland

Last edited by davidsb; 01-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Keepleyland2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    With the 38th selection . . . . . davidsb selects . . . . . the Marlboro Man . . . . . Perrysburg very own . . . . .

Jim Leyland

Why do you hate the children?

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleyland2 View Post
    Why do you hate the children?
    I'm a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post

You have my condolences, dj.

MelissaG915 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quintin Berry
    AAT '12 - Dan Schlereth

potthole is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post

Jim Leyland

Wow, those are some... unique... Photoshop jobs there.
    2014 AAT: Jeff Jones

*ESTREPE1*
    VT

potthole is offline MotownSports Fan

By my estimates, with Mel's pick, I am up, so let's go with:

Luis Marte

This is funny looking at the EXIF data from this shot. Took it with my old D50, hehe.
    2014 AAT: Jeff Jones

*ESTREPE1*
    VT

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast