Motor City Sonics is online now MotownSports Fan

Default What do you want Santa to bring the Tigers this Christmas.

If you're Jewish, just believe in Santa for a minute here. I am an atheist and I can.......

Your wildest dream. Give us a couple of scenarios here. 1 - Your realistic "this could happen" hope for the Tigers this offseason. 2 - Your "wildest dream" scenario....

O.K. I'll start......

1 - Realistic - J.J. Hardy. I think he could be had. The cost? Heavy, yes, probably Nick Castellanos. But you know what? I don't care about the 2015 or 2016 Tigers right now. They have a two-year window here to win the whole thing and Mike Illitch is in a reckless spending mode that won't last forever, so you might as well go for everything now. The Orioles have SS playing 3B right now. Offer them Nick C and they have solved their future at SS and 3B. I think Hardy is exactly the SS the Tigers need, brilliant defensively, and sure he hits only .230-.240, but so does Peralta and Hardy can hit bombs too, so he has to be respected by the other team. I appreciate how Peralta played defensively, but the Tigers need a rangy SS with Miggy at third. I think if they landed Hardy, they'd trade Peralta to the D-backs for a bag of baseline chalk. If the Orioles aren't contending by June, I think he will be very attainable. I don't think they will contend at all this year.

2 - Dream - David Price. Before the Shields trade I don't think it was too unrealistic to see the Tigers shipping both Nick C, and Avi plus probably Porcello to get this guy. Could you imgaine Verlander-Price-Sherzer-Fister-Smyly ? (Getting Price would have meant no Anibal Sanchez, who I think they completely overpaid). I know he is going to cost about $25 million a year soon, but Illitch wants this badly enough that he is crazy enough to do that. But not now. No way after trading Shields do the Rays trade him.
    Last edited by Motor City Sonics; 12-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    If you're Jewish, just believe in Santa for a minute here. I am an atheist and I can.......
    Your wildest dream. Give us a couple of scenarios here. 1 - Your realistic "this could happen" hope for the Tigers this offseason. 2 - Your "wildest dream" scenario....
    O.K. I'll start......
    1 - Realistic - J.J. Hardy. I think he could be had. The cost? Heavy, yes, probably Nick Castellanos. But you know what? I don't care about the 2015 or 2016 Tigers right now. They have a two-year window here to win the whole thing and Mike Illitch is in a reckless spending mode that won't last forever, so you might as well go for everything now. The Orioles have SS playing 3B right now. Offer them Nick C and they have solved their future at SS and 3B. I think Hardy is exactly the SS the Tigers need, brilliant defensively, and sure he hits only .230-.240, but so does Peralta and Hardy can hit bombs too, so he has to be respected by the other team. I appreciate how Peralta played defensively, but the Tigers need a rangy SS with Miggy at third. I think if they landed Hardy, they'd trade Peralta to the D-backs for a bag of baseline chalk. If the Orioles aren't contending by June, I think he will be very attainable. I don't think they will contend at all this year.
    2 - Dream - David Price. Before the Shields trade I don't think it was too unrealistic to see the Tigers shipping both Nick C, and Avi plus probably Porcello to get this guy. Could you imgaine Verlander-Price-Sherzer-Fister-Smyly ? (Getting Price would have meant no Anibal Sanchez, who I think they completely overpaid). I know he is going to cost about $25 million a year soon, but Illitch wants this badly enough that he is crazy enough to do that. But not now. No way after trading Shields do the Rays trade him.
    Why not have it all if you're dreaming?

Build a package around Smyly/Peralta to the O's for Hardy.

Build another package around Castelannos/Porcello/Garcia to the Rays for Price.

Ending up with Verlander/Price/Scherzer/Fister/Sanchez would give us a solid rotation.

Jackson/Hunter/Cabrera/Fielder/Martinez/Dirks/Avila/Hardy/Infante wouldn't be a bad lineup.

Instead of Spann/Sain and 2 days of rain, we'd just have to pray for no injuries since our depth would
    be pretty much depleted.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell