Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Motor City Sonics is online now MotownSports Fan

Default RH Hitting OF.............who do you want? who do you think is realistic?

Seems like the last remaining spots on the Tigers are for that RH hitting LF to platoon with Andy Dirks and play some RF sometimes, and a fifth OF/PR, which is perfect for Q-Berry.

One choice is Avi Garcia, obviously, but I think the Tigers would rather see him play every day in Toledo then ever fourth day in the majors (unless he blows them away this spring).

Who do you see out there via trade or free agency.

The obvious first name that pops up to me is Cody Ross, but he just signed with the D-Backs.

Who else is out there? Will it be someone acquired in a trade? I believe Boesch and Porcello will both be traded before Opening Day.

Boesch for Casper Wells maybe? Seeing how much salary the Angels will eat on Vernon Wells (I'd avoid him like the plague). Or do they wait until all the spring training dust settles and pick someone up from the scrap heap. Do you take the chance that Andy Dirks is an everyday guy (I think he is) and go with Ben Guez, who looks like he might be a solid backup OF.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

The longer that Bourn is out there, the more I could see the Tigers signing him. He's a Boras guy so we know he's got Mikey I's ear. Plus it would be the first time since Brian Hunter that there was an actual speed threat on the team. It would slide Dirks to 4OF and allow Casty to be called up Fall 2014 when Torii is almost up.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Tigers4F4 is offline MotownSports Fan

I am happy with Garcia and Berry as backups to Dirks, Jackson and Hunter. If Castellanos impresses in ST then he is another option. DD should concentrate on shoring up defence at shortstop and finding an experienced closer.

mmmccall is offline MotownSports Fan

What a defensive outfield that would be......pipe dream tho, not gonna happen. Boras is gonna be Mike's ear about Soriano though for sure

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I'm not sold on Ben Guez, and would prefer that Garcia get at least one more year in AAA.
    Not sure if Castellanos is quite 'ready' yet. I would consider bringing Wells back or try to
    get Matt Diaz on a one year deal.

Or wait for Scott Hairston to remember that, oh right, I'm really not that good. :-)
    And Juan Rivera would come very cheaply, but he's aging fast.
    Last edited by DaYooperASBDT; 12-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Alex is offline MotownSports Fan

Well, DD could be working on something larger, for ex a SS (Diaz from Cuba?). If so then the RH OF maybe a smaller signing ex an Austin Kearns type minor league deal with a spring invite. Diaz maybe plays 1 yr in the minors (he is 22 yrs old?)

Perhaps he will look into a larger RH OF move such as exploring JUpton (maybe a package with Putz to close for 1 yr). Then stick with Jhonny P at SS. DD/the brass might explore several possibilities.

Far Out:
    One can also throw out a wild idea and even put in a call to Miami and see what it would take to get Stanton (if even possible).
    Scully:
    'There's a marsh over there. The lights the driver saw may have been swamp gas...'

Mulder:
    'That happens to me when I eat Dodger dogs'

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

I hear that Delmon and Magglio are available.

Longgone is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    The longer that Bourn is out there, the more I could see the Tigers signing him. He's a Boras guy so we know he's got Mikey I's ear. Plus it would be the first time since Brian Hunter that there was an actual speed threat on the team. It would slide Dirks to 4OF and allow Casty to be called up Fall 2014 when Torii is almost up.
    Bourn doesn't have near the value in left, that he has in center.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't think it has to be anything crazy. A Marcus Thames type would do it. Don't get crazy about finding a guy to play maybe 80 games, especially if he's a platoon guy.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Charles Liston is offline MotownSports Fan

Peter Bourjos is available...hits like a righthanded Berry. Wells, I wouldn't take him for the minimum now. I'd like to see what Garcia and Catellanos could contribute in 2014, so I don't want to give up too much for a 2013 platooner. Ross would have been OK but not for 3 years. Really, just about anybody. If Dirks can truly handle the righthanders, we're only talking about 250 PA's for the platoon partner. Rusty Kuntz? I just looked at the IL and the PCL stats and I didn't really see anyone, although I noticed that Mike Hessman finally made it to the PCL, where they hit golf balls off a batting tee, and hit 35 HR's. I'm thrilled for him - he has 370 minor league home runs now. I hope he gets back to the PCL in 2013 and makes it to 400.

So, my wish for a RH platoon left fielder? Some other team's late cut on March 31 I guess. I can't think of anyone else.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

They are saying Bourjos isn't available anymore after the Morales trade. He's now penned as their starting CF.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

I wouldn't expect anything too exciting, whoever it might be. Likely someone relatively cheap and without any long term obligation. Clearly of the free agents, Diaz or a reunion with Baker come to mind. Or they might try to get a guy on a minor league contract with STI... someone like DeRosa who has been hurt for a number of years. Or maybe there's a trade available out there, Casper Wells has been discussed. Vernon Wells, if the Angels ate nearly all the salary, would be an okay gamble. A reunion with Raburn on a cheap minor league deal wouldn't be terrible. This is just a complimentary piece and someone we don't want to be a roadblock with Garcia or Castellanos are ready. Or the Tigers could opt to just go with what they have, with Berry, Boesch, etc.

Unfortunately, I think there are still a handful of teams looking for a RHB to compliment their OF, so there's still a bit of competition here even with the slim pickings.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

I don't think Bourn is the guy because I really don't think they are looking to spend a lot of money on this part time position. Bourn is going to want 8-9 million and more than one year. (If Stephen freaking Drew can get 9.5......). Ross would have been perfect, but probably doesn't see himself as a part time player. There are a number of players that could fill the role, but I don't know if we'll see anyone until late in Spring Training.

I don't know why the team seems to think that Dirks can only hit right handers. He's .288 career vs. lefties (yeah, small sample size), but why not let him be the guy every day until he shows you he's not. With Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder, Martinez, Jackson, Infante already in the lineup, I think they'll manage.

It's gonna come down to what to do with Porcello, Boesch, and Santiago. I think all three are not coming back next season. Do they get lumped in one big trade or are there a series of trades coming to fill roles. I wish Jim Leyland hadn't tried to force Ryan Raburn to be a starter because I think as a multi-positioin backup he was alright. Now after admitting it was a mistake to start him, it would be hard to bring him back. I am sure Raburn read those comments and that had to hurt a lot. Ryan isn't a bad guy......he's just not a starting player. Plus the way the fans turned on him and booed him, I wouldn't want to come back if I was him.

Just Some Dude is offline MotownSports Fan

I hear Craig Monroe is available!

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    .... A reunion with Raburn ...
    You're trying to ruin my holiday, aren't you?

"Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    I don't know why the team seems to think that Dirks can only hit right handers. He's .288 career vs. lefties (yeah, small sample size), but why not let him be the guy every day until he shows you he's not.
    What's to say the organization isn't already thinking that way, since they don't appear to be very aggressive to find him a platoon partner? That said, it would seem to be prudent to pick up a guy who could fill the void, if Dirks does lay an egg against LHP. The last thing we'd want is to make no moves, then realize in May that Dirks isn't going to cut it against LHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    You're trying to ruin my holiday, aren't you?

I recognize the Raburn angst on the forum, but I don't partake in it. At the right price (Minor league deal, low base with incentives), he's the exact kind of player we should be looking for... a guy with a history of hitting LHP, who doesn't appear to be at any age-related cliff, and who isn't attrocious defensively in LF. If you eliminate the baggage that comes with his history with the organization and just view him for what he is, it's not a bad fit.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

It's hard to predict what trade possibilities might arise, but it seems like Seattle's (Wells) interest in Boesch is probably gone after signing Ibanez, and most of the teams who were linked to Peralta have since acquired a SS. I wouldn't consider dealing Porcello for a platoon OF and assume the Tigers won't, either. I like Denorfia, but not at that cost. But the end of March is a long way away so who knows what might transpire.

On the FA front, there's really nothing of interest. Maybe Diaz if he's over the injury. Maybe a total reclamation like Kearns, DeRosa, Hall, etc on a minor league look, but what's the point, really. I don't think Raburn or Young should be considered at all - it's time to move on.

At this point Kobernus looks like a possible candidate for an IF/OF role, with Dirks getting the vast majority of at bats, including some LHP. If that fails during the season, hopefully Garcia or Castellanos are ready for the push.

The bench is ugly, but barring multiple moves, there really aren't many open spots.

1. Pena
    2. Santiago/Worth/Kobernus (keep 2, probably)
    3. Boesch/Berry (keep 1?)
    4. one of the above

Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

If I was working for the Tigers front office, I would not suggest going into the Free Agent market in pursuit of a RH outfielder right now. Why? I can really only put up five names of players that are worth taking a look at their asking price (player's age listed):

Matt Diaz (35)
    Scott Hairston (33)
    Austin Kearns (33)
    Juan Rivera (34)
    Delmon Young (27)

I think that Hairston will not take a platoon position simply because he will get a better off elsewhere, probably the Mets. Delmon is your second best guy, but he comes with the off-the-field issues and DD is looking to move on from that in 2013. The other three all batted around .240 or lower, and would have to be a bang for the buck type of asking price right now.

I instead would explore the trade options using the Boesch/Porcello/Peralta chips to work with. I would at least make some calls to see where Baltimore's Nolan Reimold, Milwaukee's Carlos Gomez, San Diego's Chris Denorfia, and Washington's Michael Morse asking price is at on those guys. I like those options (and salaries) a lot better than the free agent market right now.
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I don't think Delmon's off-field issue was the problem. He just can't play in the field. I think it's purely a baseball decision.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Tim Mitchell is offline MotownSports Fan

Back in on Carlos Quentin.

macedonian bengal is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mitchell View Post
    Back in on Carlos Quentin.
    Is this rumored of just personal preferences?

Im kinda feeling the Porcello/ Peralta to Baltimore rumors
    i honestly can think of a better match for us.
    If we can swap Peralta and a prospect for JJ Hardy, while getting q solid package of say, Nolan Reimold, Brian Matusz and Troy Patton.
    I maybe overvaluing Porcello, but if we cant get a high return on him, id almost prefer to hang on to him until we can sell high on him.
    but all this ramblin aside
    Nolan Riemold is a solid RH hitting LF that i believe would be an awesome platoon with Dirks.

One other i love is to sign Michael Bourn as another poster above suggested. Ive always been a fan of Brian Hunter type leadoff guys, and Bourn is one of the best.
    2014 AAT Lhp Kevin Ziomek

Quote Originally Posted by macedonian bengal View Post

One other i love is to sign Michael Bourn as another poster above suggested. Ive always been a fan of Brian Hunter type leadoff guys, and Bourn is one of the best.
    A large portion of the value Bourn provides is defensively as center fielder. He really doesn't produce enough offense for a corner outfielder on a good team, and you really reduce his defensive contribution in left.

Quote Originally Posted by Longgone View Post
    A large portion of the value Bourn provides is defensively as center fielder. He really doesn't produce enough offense for a corner outfielder on a good team, and you really reduce his defensive contribution in left.
    That way of looking at things is so completely off, I don't know where to begin. It doesn't matter where the pop comes from as long as you get it. The Tigers have 3 amazing run producers in their lineup and a couple of other guys that aren't to shabby. What they need more than anything is a player that can keep a rally going or gain an extra base with their running. That was their biggest weakness last year. Bourn fits that role. Problem is, I am sure he isn't going to sign on as a part time player and he is going to cost more than Stephen Drew, and I don't think the Tigers are going to spend that much for this role.

macedonian bengal is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Longgone View Post
    That may be so. But by comparison, i think Bourn would be quite valuable enough by batting him leadoff...creating an instant game changing,base stealing, run scoring threat ...with Hunter, Cabby, Prince V- Mart and A-Jax behind him,hell score an easy 120 runs. Why wouldnt you want a game changing, spark plug and catalyst at the top of your line up?? especially one who is a far more elite hitter than say, Quintin Berry, and a fine defender whether, it be left, center, or right field, ot doesnt matter..a defending fleet outfield of Bourn, Jackson and Hunter would be absolutely sick and be a huge part of improving team defense.
    I for one, love me some Andy Dirks, but if Illitch doesnt mind spending more on a guy like Bourn, id honestly take Bourn over Dirks every time, at least regarding 2013.
    2014 AAT Lhp Kevin Ziomek

That may be so. But by comparison, i think Bourn would be quite valuable enough by batting him leadoff...creating an instant game changing,base stealing, run scoring threat ...with Hunter, Cabby, Prince V- Mart and A-Jax behind him,hell score an easy 120 runs. Why wouldnt you want a game changing, spark plug and catalyst at the top of your line up?? especially one who is a far more elite hitter than say, Quintin Berry, and a fine defender whether, it be left, center, or right field, ot doesnt matter..a defending fleet outfield of Bourn, Jackson and Hunter would be absolutely sick and be a huge part of improving team defense.
    I for one, love me some Andy Dirks, but if Illitch doesnt mind spending more on a guy like Bourn, id honestly take Bourn over Dirks every time, at least regarding 2013.
    I'm saying the value he is going to command, as a centerfielder, is going to exceed the value he will provide as a left fielder.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

I like the **idea** of Bourn, even though he's a clear step-down from Dirks hitting-wise, he makes it up with a lot of stolen bases. Glove-wise he's a clear step up from Dirks, and would create an elite Angels in the Outfield defense, something I would love to see after the last few years of defensive hilarity in the expanses of Comerica.

The down-sides to Bourn: age and Nick C...for a guy that depends on speed he's hitting the 30 year old mark, dangerous territory for a guy looking for a 3+ year commitment. That having been said, I think he'd still be a clear upgrade in 3 years over anybody else we'd likely have in LF.

The much more thorny issue is that getting Bourn would block Nick C at 3B, RF, LF and DH through 2014....not a good idea.

I'm thinking that a RH option needs to be the Casper Wells type guy -- good defender at all 3 spots, hits LHP, is young enough to still have a little upside, but like Dirks is not going to create a block against Nick or even Avisail.

Dirks and Wells would make an awesome platoon in my opinion and Wells would cover the 4th OF need perfectly.

One 4th OF option I'm against at this point is Avisail...this guy has some serious up-side potential as a power hitter that it seems would be hindered by being put in a part-time role in the bigs at this point. Give him and Nick at least one more full season in the minors before giving them a shot at a major-league role.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Oh, also, all of the other RH OF options are horrible -- Diaz, Hairston, Rivera....these are bad fielders and mediocre hitters at best, even against LHP. No, no, no. Trade for a guy who fits the bill...Wells is a perfect fit...I'm not saying he's a great player, far far from it....just a really good fit for our needs.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't want to pay Bourn, but I'm sure he could still be worth 3-4 wins in LF, especially in Comerica. I don't worry about him losing value a whole lot.

Bambino Lino is offline MotownSports Fan

FWIW, Diaz just got signed by the Yankees. So there goes that possibility.
    2012 record at Tigers games: 15-13 (regular season), 1-2 (postseason)
    2012 Adopt-A-Tiger: Delmon Young, ALCS MVP
    Follow me! Do it. @BambinoLino

Quote Originally Posted by Bambino Lino View Post
    FWIW, Diaz just got signed by the Yankees. So there goes that possibility.
    Thank goodness.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Is this rumored of just personal preferences?

Im kinda feeling the Porcello/ Peralta to Baltimore rumors
    i honestly can think of a better match for us.
    If we can swap Peralta and a prospect for JJ Hardy, while getting q solid package of say, Nolan Reimold, Brian Matusz and Troy Patton.
    I maybe overvaluing Porcello, but if we cant get a high return on him, id almost prefer to hang on to him until we can sell high on him.
    but all this ramblin aside
    Nolan Riemold is a solid RH hitting LF that i believe would be an awesome platoon with Dirks.
    I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who brought up Reimold in this thread, and it's because his injury-shortened year has put him under the radar. Also they have an OF of McLouth/Jones/Markakis plus upcomings like Avery/Robinson that really clogs up the situation for Reimold.

The trade you have going sounds good for the most part, except I don't like Matusz right now. He had a bad '11, and not that great of a '12 season either. Give me a DD classic "hard thrower with some control issues" prospect in his place and I think DD would love the idea.
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

Reimold is a nice backup option for most teams, and could be a nice option for us if we needed a DH/LF with little-to-no RH/LH splits and below-average corner OF defense. But I still would prefer that we get a guy who can field all OF positions reasonably well.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

socaltiger is offline MotownSports Fan

Is Porcello and Peralta for Hardy and Reimold a realistic trade ? If so it would be perfect.

Elevate is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    Reimold is a nice backup option for most teams, and could be a nice option for us if we needed a DH/LF with little-to-no RH/LH splits and below-average corner OF defense. But I still would prefer that we get a guy who can field all OF positions reasonably well.
    I had figured that Berry would be around to just that (played LF a lot last year, some CF, and 5 in RF), so to worry too much about another across the board OF would be a little bit more on the back burner for me (or if an injury comes up, you got Garcia to fill in as he also has a little bit of experience at all OF positions).

Also look at the salary cost of Reimold: he is heading into year one of arbitration and I don't see more than $1M this year for him. I see your point, it just doesn't worry me as much as it does you.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltiger View Post
    Is Porcello and Peralta for Hardy and Reimold a realistic trade ? If so it would be perfect.
    From the way the 'pitching market' has been so far this offseason, I think you are selling Porcello a little short. I'm seeing a #3/#4 for teams (BR comparisons pop up 2 former 'recent' 1st rounders: Homer Bailey and Jeremy Bonderman) and so far teams are overpaying for those types of guys. I honestly think you can squeeze this into a 3-for-2 deal with an average prospect coming to Detroit (a 2B/SS guy would be nice to have head this way).

The difficulty with relying on Berry to backup CF is that he is a very poor hitter and a below average fielder there...not someone who should be taking up limited bench space on a title contender, nor potentially filling in for 200+ PAs if you throw an injury stint in there. I also have no interest in the Tigers messing with Garcia's development by relying on him as filler material.

A good backup is essential, especially one who can field and hit lefties. Reimold does one of those things...Wells does both.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    The difficulty with relying on Berry to backup CF is that he is a very poor hitter and a below average fielder there...not someone who should be taking up limited bench space on a title contender, nor potentially filling in for 200+ PAs if you throw an injury stint in there. I also have no interest in the Tigers messing with Garcia's development by relying on him as filler material.

A good backup is essential, especially one who can field and hit lefties. Reimold does one of those things...Wells does both.

I think everyone is talking about Berry as the 5th OF here. I have no problem with him in that role, even if he only hits .210. He can spot start in CF or LF and if they need someone to spell Hunter a day or two, they can move Dirks over to RF. Plus he could be a solid pinch runner in key situations. I actually think he's perfect for the 5th OF.

The Tigers, carrying 12 pitchers will go with 2 Catchers, 5 infielders, 5 outfielders and 1 DH (emergency C).

I'd like to see
    C - Avila-Pena
    INF - Cabrera-Fielder-Hardy-Infante-Worth
    OF - Berry-Dirks-Hunter-Jackson-Ruggiano

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post

The Tigers, carrying 12 pitchers will go with 2 Catchers, 5 infielders, 5 outfielders and 1 DH (emergency C).

I'd like to see
    C - Avila-Pena
    INF - Cabrera-Fielder-Hardy-Infante-Worth
    OF - Berry-Dirks-Hunter-Jackson-Ruggiano
    If they thought Worth was better than Kobernus they probably don't bother making the pick. Danny will have to light it up in ST to get a spot.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 12-28-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast