Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Dawn

Too much trouble with weed, she is a suspension waiting to happen.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Tim Mitchell is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    Really?

Boesch career .259/.315/.414/.729

Seager career .259/.315/.412/.727

Yeah, real joke.

Tigers need a backup infielder. Seager can play all 2b/SS/3b. Better option than Worth, Santiago, Kobernus or Perez.

Seager's a solid ballplayer, that has shown flashes of really good play. Boesch has too. To write off Boesch forever is kind of ridiculous at his age. He needs to fix some things, sure, but he is far too young with too much natural ability to write off. He has power, he does have some value....just not for the Tigers who don't need yet another left-handed hitting OF.
    Youre dreaming. Boesch is a chump. Boesch had the dream job and blew it. Batting in front of Miggy and Prince. Are you kidding me? Heck you could have done what Boesch did last year.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mitchell View Post
    Youre dreaming. Boesch is a chump. Boesch had the dream job and blew it. Batting in front of Miggy and Prince. Are you kidding me? Heck you could have done what Boesch did last year.
    Way to support your argument with facts. Top-notch stuff.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    Really?

Boesch career .259/.315/.414/.729

Seager career .259/.315/.412/.727

Yeah, real joke.

Tigers need a backup infielder. Seager can play all 2b/SS/3b. Better option than Worth, Santiago, Kobernus or Perez.

Seager's a solid ballplayer, that has shown flashes of really good play. Boesch has too. To write off Boesch forever is kind of ridiculous at his age. He needs to fix some things, sure, but he is far too young with too much natural ability to write off. He has power, he does have some value....just not for the Tigers who don't need yet another left-handed hitting OF.
    I don't think anybody expects Seager to be a really good player, his "plus" if you can call it that is that he doesn't have any major weaknesses, but he doesn't have any major strengths either. Boesch doesn't have any major strengths, but has major weaknesses (poor fielding in the corner OF positions). Seager seems to be a bit of a mixed bag defensively from the numbers, but he is still far better than Boesch and plays more important positions.

Not to mention, Boesch at 28 is a known quantity (he sucks...no, check that he really sucks). None of Boesch's peripherals have moved in the right direction. Maybe his thumb was an issue, but to think that he has any legitimate chance for major improvement at this point I think is not realistic.

Seager at 25 is still a legitimate prospect.

The other thing you're completely ignoring in this comparison is that Seager has been a beast away from Safeco....298/333/501/834 with a .358 wOBA. I'm not saying that he'd do that all the time with a team other than Seattle, but it shows serious hitting ability (which Boesch lacks).

Oh by the way, Boesch away from Comerica is 249/301/381/682 with a 300 wOBA.....ack. Sorry, he really, really sucks.

I would be thrilled, absolutely thrilled if the Tigers could swing a deal to trade a basically worthless guy with little/no upside in Boesch for a nice prospect with the potential to be a pretty good full-time IFer.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    I want the platoon partner for Dirks at least as much (if not more) to have a quality 4th MLB OF on the roster in case one of Jackson, Wells or Dirks is injured. The Tigers don't have much organizational depth at OF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    Wells?
    dammit.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    ..... Boesch doesn't have any major strengths, but has major weaknesses (poor fielding in the corner OF positions)...
    Have to agree that BB's ship has almost certainly sailed. Part way through his second year I thought maybe his OF play was improving, but either it was luck or he just regressed as last year his fielding was horrible. I could be happier living with his intermittent bat since he can do a lot of damage when he's 'on', but only if he weren't a liability in the field the rest of the time. It's a shame because he has speed to burn as an OF, he just get's nothing out of it.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

Report: Marlins contact Padres about Giancarlo Stanton - MLB - Baseball - Rumors - FanNation

09:45 AM ET 01.06 | It's far too early to talk about the possibilities, but the Padres are one of the clubs the Miami Marlins have talked to regarding right-handed, power-hitting right fielder Giancarlo Stanton. The 23-year-old Stanton hit .290 with 37 homers and 86 RBI in 123 games for the Marlins last season. He also had a .361 on-base percentage and a National League-leading .608 slugging percentage. In 373 major league games, the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Stanton has a .270 average with 93 homers and 232 RBI. Stanton has apparently fallen out of favor with the Marlins due to his vocal criticism of the moves Miami has made recently to rid themselves of many of their front-line players and a majority of their payroll.
    DD NEEEEEDS to get in on this conversation ASAP
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

ben9753 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    But seriously, what chips does he have to offer? It took two top 10 prospects to get Cabrera, who was 2 years away from FA, Stanton has 4 years left, and the Tigers don't have a Maybin and Miller to offer this time, and it would take more than that. I just can't see how it's feasible.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

Easy. Just trade them castellanos, porcello, Garcia, boesch, dirks.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

Austin Jackson, Castellanos, and Porcello might be a pretty solid starting point I'd think.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

There's no way that the Tigers can get Stanton, but I'd sure like to see them try anyway.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Have to agree that BB's ship has almost certainly sailed. Part way through his second year I thought maybe his OF play was improving, but either it was luck or he just regressed as last year his fielding was horrible. I could be happier living with his intermittent bat since he can do a lot of damage when he's 'on', but only if he weren't a liability in the field the rest of the time. It's a shame because he has speed to burn as an OF, he just get's nothing out of it.
    Yeah, I thought going into 2012 that he was going to put it together and be a decent LH version of Raburn or Thames. Alas, no.

Well, actually he was a decent LH version of Raburn/Thames, unfortunately circa 2012.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

I think Stanton is being overrated. Yeah, his contract is great and provides a lot of value, but I'm not convinced we haven't already see his peak year. He'll still be worth 20 wins over the next 4 years, and make 20 million to provide 60 million is surplus value.

But he isn't unattainable, especially when surplus value is such a fuzzy concept requiring assigning dollars to wins.

Blog Entries

I think Stanton is being overrated. Yeah, his contract is great and provides a lot of value, but I'm not convinced we haven't already see his peak year. He'll still be worth 20 wins over the next 4 years, and make 20 million to provide 60 million is surplus value.

But he isn't unattainable, especially when surplus value is such a fuzzy concept requiring assigning dollars to wins.
    The same could be said about any player, Shelton. Hell, people probably thought that about Cabrera after his third year. People have already said that about Trout. People said it about Granderson after '07.

Do you see some sort of sign that he's going to suddenly slow down? It seems like a pretty silly thing to say at this point. Of course it could be his peak, but there's no reason to not think he'll continue to progress. He's 23 years old.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-07-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    Facebook

It's not a slam on him, yoda. When you have already put up such a great season at a young age, it doesn't leave much room for improvement, that's all, 23 or not. Averaging five wins a year over the next four is pretty damn good. I just don't see him "progressing" where he increases his win total year after year. Last year he had a good amount of good fortune on balls in play and hr/fly. He could improve his skills as he gets older and put up worse numbers.

Or he could be the next Pujols.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Easy. Just trade them castellanos, porcello, Garcia, boesch, dirks.
    Wow. But seems a little steep. Porcello, Dirks, and Castellanos should be enough. If you had to round it out from there, i think you'd be looking at a prospect in the 10-20 range. Garcia/Boesch would cut pretty deep on top of Dirks/Castellanos, given that Hunter is almost ancient, Stanton has missed time with what seems to be recurring hamstring injuries, and Ajax has missed time as well.

How would Miami feel about dealing with us again, after having dealt us Cabrera and then Sanchez? Seems like they might have most guys in our system that they want, outside of recent draftees.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Blog Entries

It's not a slam on him, yoda. When you have already put up such a great season at a young age, it doesn't leave much room for improvement, that's all, 23 or not. Averaging five wins a year over the next four is pretty damn good. I just don't see him "progressing" where he increases his win total year after year. Last year he had a good amount of good fortune on balls in play and hr/fly. He could improve his skills as he gets older and put up worse numbers.

Oh I didn't read it as a slam, I just think he still has room to improve. A 158 OPS+ is awfully impressive but he can do even better and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he did.

Even if he doesn't and merely averages 5 wins a year, how are people overrating him?
    Facebook

There's still room for improvement for Stanton compared to where Cabrera was at age 23, primarily because Stanton has a higher K-rate that if he brings down could bring his batting average up quite a bit. I don't think anybody should be predicted to get better than where Stanton already is, because he's already pretty way up there, but if he stays where he is (which has been my assumption) he'd still be HoF material and pretty comparable to Cabrera.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

He could improve his plate discipline, which is certainly plausible, given that he's only had 1500 PA and is only 23.

Blog Entries

Facebook

Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

Since we all know that he is now available, how about Mike Morse. His LH/RH splits don't really vary by that much (almost identical averages), he can play the corner OF spots with a fair fielding percentage (also 1B, and if your lucky he can still field at SS), and I think a MLB ready reliever plus a small something would get a trade done with Washington.
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Morse is an interesting option but I"m not sure where he fits into our plans. I guess you could send Dirks to the bench or something. He'd probably cost something like Coke and a solid prospect or 2. Not a top 5 prospect though.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Morse is an interesting option but I"m not sure where he fits into our plans. I guess you could send Dirks to the bench or something. He'd probably cost something like Coke and a solid prospect or 2. Not a top 5 prospect though.
    If Morse could fill in it CF he'd be a better fit. I think the Tigers would be wise to keep Hunter in RF and not rely on him in CF for Jackson's days off. Dirks could probably handle Jackson's days off in CF. But that 4th OF spot (which I don't necessarily believe should go to Berry) needs to be filled by someone that can handle CF as well.

Morse is basically similar to Magglio (during his tenure with the Tigers) but with zero defense (whereas Magglio was slow but decent) Not a bad option, but I wouldn't want to give up too much for him.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

I'd pass on Morse. Unless VMart is injured, there's no way to rotate him through the DH spot, and I think it's important to have a decent defender in LF. Plus, Leyland would certainly try to put him in the line-up every day, which would regulate Dirks to the bench and make our lineup RHB heavy. I'd rather not see that.

robgrave is offline MotownSports Fan

Since I've read through the entire thread, I feel somewhat obligated to contribute a little something to it. Casper Wells is the guy, IMO. I was sorry to see him go, love to see him back in a Tigers uniform. And I'm betting he'd love to be back here (always helpful in a player acquisition).
    Sometimes we'll just stink up the field -- Sparky Anderson

I think if Wells was the guy, we'd have made the move by now. I think they are going to wait and see who comes available around the end of ST.

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    I think if Wells was the guy, we'd have made the move by now. I think they are going to wait and see who comes available around the end of ST.
    Could be. But really, what more are we looking for? A decent (if unexciting) RH hitter who plays the outfield well, strong throwing arm, used to being platooned, etc. Seems ideal to me.

Wells should be out of options. He definately used options in 2010 and 2012, not sure about 2011. That might play to our advantage.

MLBDepthcharts.com shows Wells on the outside looking in this year. Tough to see where he fits between: Guiterrez, Morse, Saunders, Bay, Ibanez... plus Smoak at 1B and Morales at DH/1B. Then they have Carp. Thames. Peguero. Liddi. So, it's possible they think they can get him in ST if he doesn't make the roster with such a crowded situation.

Wells used up his options in 2009, 2010, and 2012.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

If Wells comes back, I hope his dad comes back with him.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    Maybe he is the guy and it's Seattle that wants to wait. It takes two to tango.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    ???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    I got it. One of those jokes that never gets old. And Zimm agrees.
    Facebook

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234