Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    The Tigers, carrying 12 pitchers will go with 2 Catchers, 5 infielders, 5 outfielders and 1 DH (emergency C).

I'd like to see
    C - Avila-Pena
    INF - Cabrera-Fielder-Hardy-Infante-Worth
    OF - Berry-Dirks-Hunter-Jackson-Ruggiano
    Ya lost me here, what did you do with Ramon Sanitago?
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)/D. Price

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Zack attack View Post
    Ya lost me here, what did you do with Ramon Sanitago?
    Bye Bye Ramon. I like him but he is sliding fast. If he was a better runner, he'd have more value. I think the Tigers are going to release him or make a very minor trade with him.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    If they thought Worth was better than Kobernus they probably don't bother making the pick. Danny will have to light it up in ST to get a spot.
    I think they will end up shipping him back or making a minor trade for Kobernus to be the Danny Worth-lite. They are close to the same player. Most Rule 5 guys don't stick, especially on contenders. I am still hoping for a Boesch for Kyle Seager deal, but I doubt that happens now.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

I think everyone is talking about Berry as the 5th OF here. I have no problem with him in that role, even if he only hits .210. He can spot start in CF or LF and if they need someone to spell Hunter a day or two, they can move Dirks over to RF. Plus he could be a solid pinch runner in key situations. I actually think he's perfect for the 5th OF.

The Tigers, carrying 12 pitchers will go with 2 Catchers, 5 infielders, 5 outfielders and 1 DH (emergency C).

I'd like to see
    C - Avila-Pena
    INF - Cabrera-Fielder-Hardy-Infante-Worth
    OF - Berry-Dirks-Hunter-Jackson-Ruggiano
    The **only** thing that Berry does even reasonably well is steal bases. I love what he did last year, luck being what it was for him. but I don't see why you would consider him even a good roster option, much less a "perfect" one. I'm not going to complain if he makes the roster, since at least he can do one thing well, but if Berry winds up with more than 100 PAs this year, the organization would have failed big-time IMHO.

FWIW, I would love to have Ruggiano as our 4th OF, but I highly doubt that will happen. Miami is looking to have him compete for the starting CF job (which is silly, but it's Miami)....he's cheap for their purposes and I don't think they're going to trade him away.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

I'm sick and tired of DD and JL settling for whoever is lying around to make up their bench. Pena, Kobernus, Worth, Santiago, Berry???? Berry is the only one who has a marketable plus skill (stolen bases), and Kobernus can reportedly cover some OF/IF defense pretty well, but beyond these modest talents, it's a bad group.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Tim Mitchell is offline MotownSports Fan

I think they will end up shipping him back or making a minor trade for Kobernus to be the Danny Worth-lite. They are close to the same player. Most Rule 5 guys don't stick, especially on contenders. I am still hoping for a Boesch for Kyle Seager deal, but I doubt that happens now.
    Boesch for Kyle Seager?
    What makes you think Kyle Seager would be offered by Seattle?
    Kyle Seager is an excellent baseball player.
    Brennan Boesch is garbage.
    Don't underestimate Mister Jack.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Yah, no way you get Seager for Boesch. At best maybe we get Furbush back.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

No way they'd give up Furbush for Boesch.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Why do we think that Boesch is getting anything at this point?
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

macedonian bengal is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    Why do we think that Boesch is getting anything at this point?
    Why is everyone trying to propose trades for former Tigers such as Casper Wells and Charlie Furbush?

Wheres your originality. Reacquiring formerly players is just the tackiest and laziest idea ive seen this offseason.
    Altho just my opinion, i do wish some peeps actually thought outside the box, but it seems that so many dont even bother to ever leave it.

My ideas may not win any friends, but i believe the obvious deal to make here would be
    BOESCH and SANTIAGO For SS Brendan Ryan and RP Lucas Luetge, or maybe Carter Capps.
    Essentially at this point, both Boesch and Santiago are pretty much garbage and im not even sure Seatte makes this deal...but acquiring Ryan would provide us with a good defensive glove on the bench to back up Peralta if DD doesnt find another SS. The least we could do is get Ryan, a defensive upgrade over Santiago.
    Luetge is basically Daniel Schlereth 2.0 but he led the mariners in holds lasts season.
    So not a very sexy idea, but a trade that i think improves us defensively at SS and Bench, and puts a decent loogey or even potential setup guy in the pen.
    2014 AAT Lhp Kevin Ziomek

I still see them offering Boesch Arbitration (he made 502K last year) and then having him spend time in Toledo this year. Instead of trading him when he doesn't have much value at all.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by macedonian bengal View Post
    Why is everyone trying to propose trades for former Tigers such as Casper Wells and Charlie Furbush?

Wheres your originality. Reacquiring formerly players is just the tackiest and laziest idea ive seen this offseason.
    Altho just my opinion, i do wish some peeps actually thought outside the box, but it seems that so many dont even bother to ever leave it.

My ideas may not win any friends, but i believe the obvious deal to make here would be
    BOESCH and SANTIAGO For SS Brendan Ryan and RP Lucas Luetge, or maybe Carter Capps.
    Essentially at this point, both Boesch and Santiago are pretty much garbage and im not even sure Seatte makes this deal...but acquiring Ryan would provide us with a good defensive glove on the bench to back up Peralta if DD doesnt find another SS. The least we could do is get Ryan, a defensive upgrade over Santiago.
    Luetge is basically Daniel Schlereth 2.0 but he led the mariners in holds lasts season.
    So not a very sexy idea, but a trade that i think improves us defensively at SS and Bench, and puts a decent loogey or even potential setup guy in the pen.
    They just so happen to be potentially available and they happen to fill very particular needs for the Tigers. I think its more of a coincidence that they are former Tigers to be quite honest. Fwiw, they wouldn't come close to considering the deal you proposed. A 2+ win SS for Boesch?

Blog Entries

How about because Wells is actually a perfect fit for the Tigers right now and the Marlins were reportedly interested in Boesch earlier in the offseason. Slamming everyone for discussing this when there's nothing else to talk about is pretty dumb.
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-31-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    Facebook

macedonian bengal is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    How about because Wells is actually a perfect fit for the Tigers right now and the Marlins were reportedly interested in Boesch earlier in the offseason. Slamming everyone for discussing this when there's nothing else to talk about is pretty dumb.
    there you go again!
    slapping me on the wrists, calling me out for having an opinion and questioning others.
    typical Yoda. Nothing better to do? Same ol story since 2005.

my intention is not to "Slam" others for their ideas, but to urge others to think more alternatively, and generate more discussion.
    Is that really the best everyone can come up with?? ..bring back Furbush and Wells??
    ok..i apologize for being a jerk..obviously because i merely dont agree with the majority..whatever. Feel better now?

This River here only flows in one direction, Yoda's direction.
    2014 AAT Lhp Kevin Ziomek

TigerNation is offline MotownSports Fan

there you go again!
    slapping me on the wrists, calling me out for having an opinion and questioning others.

my intention is not to "Slam" others for their ideas, but to urge others to think more alternatively, and generate more discussion.
    Is that really the best everyone can come up with?? ..bring back Furbush and Wells??
    ok..i apologize for being a jerk..obviously because i merely dont agree with the majority..whatever. Feel better now?

If your intention wasn't to slam, you probably shouldn't have written it in the tone you did.

Your post completely read like a slam, using words like tacky and lazy to describe peoples opinions and writing in a condescending tone will do nothing but evoke negative responses.
    Last edited by TigerNation; 12-31-2012 at 03:11 AM.

RJBBREZ is offline MotownSports Fan

there you go again!

Hypocrisy at its finest.

I haven't written anything about Furbush, but I have been on record in favor of getting Wells, *or somebody like him*, and have stated my reasons like15 times using different stats/arguments/etc...I admit that I didn't exhaustively research MLB rosters to see who else was like him....I don't think that qualifies my opinion as "lazy" or "tacky", though.

It is tacky IMHO to issue a snarky non-apology.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Come on here guys......Just have Dirks switch hit.....he may be better at doing that than many of the players suggested on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by roarintiger1 View Post
    Come on here guys......Just have Dirks switch hit.....he may be better at doing that than many of the players suggested on this thread.
    I think he's an every day player. I think .275 with about 15 home runs is something he could do, and with the rest of the guys in the lineup they already have, that's good enough for me. Rather that than overspending on someone they might use for a year or picking up someone just because they hit RH. They still need a 4th OF, but maybe Boesch is that guy. Doesn't Boesch hit left handed pitchers better than right handed ones (career-wise)? then there's your guy. You already have him, he's cheap, he fits in the locker room and he's shown flashes of being good in the past.

Blog Entries

there you go again!

Poor macedonian bengal. :(

You didn't simply question everyone, you straight up slammed everyone for simply discussing it. If/when I do that, I'd expect to be called out too. Get over it.
    Facebook

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

there you go again!

Man I hate posts like this. Hate. This is the kind of thing people type because they got their precious feelings hurt when someone disagreed with them or called them out and they don't really have a good reply.

Blog Entries

I'm still on record for wanting to trade for Wells. Great defense, great arm, kills lefties. Sorry if that's tacky and lazy.
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-31-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Facebook

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I think it is tacky to suggest that anyone would trade for Ramon Santiago.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

I'm still on record for wanting to trade for Wells. Great defense, great arm, kills lefties. Sorry if that's tacky and lazy.
    Same Ole Yoda, doesn't care if it's Tacky and Lazy! THIS IS WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE YODA!

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Well, that's certainly out of the box and not lazy. So lets go for it!
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    I think it is tacky to suggest that anyone would trade for Ramon Santiago.

Perhaps he could be a throw-in. There are teams that do need backup INF more than the Tigers do. Not suggesting we'd get anything more than a AA player for him. I like Ramon, I think he had a nice career here, but he's sliding now - and sliding fast. Look at the second half of last season, he barely played (25 games). I think they can get just as much out of Worth or Kobernus.

I think everyone is talking about Berry as the 5th OF here.
    There will be an interesting dilemna here, between a 5th OF, or 2nd Reserve INF. You don't see this as much when you have a DH who can also play the field. But with VMart locked in at DH and a 4-man bench, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Ideally, I guess you want that last guy to play OF/IF, that might give Kobernus and edge if he can actually play some combo of LF/RF/2B/3B. It certainly gives you a lot more flexibility.

john doe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Shangri la in the Summer, Timbuktu in the Winter

No way they'd give up Furbush for Boesch.
    Not so fast....they did make this deal. Report: Tigers trade Charlie Furbush, Casper Wells to Seattle for Doug Fister, David Pauley | MLive.com
    It's pronounced Canada, and no, I haven't.

Blog Entries

Good point.
    Facebook

A few more names that might be available.

Jesus Guzman, Justin Maxwell, Mayberry Jr.

Just Some Dude is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    You don't see this as much when you have a DH who can also play the field. But with VMart locked in at DH and a 4-man bench, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I really hope VMart can/will play some 1st base now and then. Otherwise we really don't have a backup 1st baseman. Cabrera played 3 innings at 1st last year and Pena played 8.2 innings at 1st last year but never before in his ML career. Fielder doesn't take days off which is great but he'll need to DH now and then.

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

A few more names that might be available.

Jesus Guzman, Justin Maxwell, Mayberry Jr.
    No, no, and uh..........no.

No, no, and uh..........no.
    Do you prefer someone who doesn't hit LHP to pair with Dirks? I guess I would like someone who does, but that's me.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

There will be an interesting dilemna here, between a 5th OF, or 2nd Reserve INF .
    DD has said he wants to see if Kobernus can play OF. They really want Don Kelly V 2.0
    'No Way To Prevent This,í Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Dude View Post
    I really hope VMart can/will play some 1st base now and then. Otherwise we really don't have a backup 1st baseman. Cabrera played 3 innings at 1st last year and Pena played 8.2 innings at 1st last year but never before in his ML career. Fielder doesn't take days off which is great but he'll need to DH now and then.
    Or they could have Cabrera play 1B and use Worth or Kobernus at 3B.

Don't forget Infante at 3B if Cabrera is at 1B.

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    Man I hate posts like this. Hate. This is the kind of thing people type because they got their precious feelings hurt when someone disagreed with them or called them out and they don't really have a good reply.
    There's nothing better than someone pulling the victim card after getting called out because they criticized/slammed others.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: Josť Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

Just Some Dude is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Or they could have Cabrera play 1B and use Worth or Kobernus at 3B.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    Don't forget Infante at 3B if Cabrera is at 1B.
    When either Fielder or Martinez are not in the lineup then sure. I'm hoping though that Martinez can play some 1st when Prince needs a DH day. Having all 3 guys in the lineup for the maximum amount of games is pretty important IMO.

mickeyb105 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Dude View Post
    When either Fielder or Martinez are not in the lineup then sure. I'm hoping though that Martinez can play some 1st when Prince needs a DH day. Having all 3 guys in the lineup for the maximum amount of games is pretty important IMO.
    I just hope VMart can give us 500 AB next yearóbeing able to play 1B is nice, but he's in his mid-30s coming off a very serious knee injury and surgery. Procedures and rehab have come a long way over the past few decades and have made all but life-threatening injuries seem routine, which is great, but nothing about coming (all the way) back from an ACL is a given.

If Fielder is out for an extended period of time I just can't see Victor filling in and risking another injury to another middle of the order bat. Would a possibility be moving Cabrera over, and if his bat is ready, giving Casty a taste of MLB action?
    2012 AAT: Fu-Te Ni

rogergoochman is offline MotownSports Fan

Im fully content with dirks . He has been solid the past 2 years in the lineup when healthy. But if they want to platoon im happy with QB just soley for the speed factor when he does reach base.
    Last edited by rogergoochman; 12-31-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast