Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    PurpleEntity is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Sanchez a Tiger 5 yrs 80M

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    Source confirms: #Tigers in agreement with Anibal Sanchez - five years, $80 million. First reported by @BNightengale.
    Details
    1h Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    Source: #Cubs increase five-year offer to Anibal Sanchez to $77.5M. #Tigers at $75M. Negotiations continue.
    Details

eastside billee is offline MotownSports Fan

IMO - it's just too much money for this guy. I have a gut feeling the Tigers will be very sorry for this signing. I see Bobby Higginson written all over it.
    we only part to meet again vt BRIAN BLUHM vt

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Keepleyland2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by eastside billee View Post
    IMO - it's just too much money for this guy. I have a gut feeling the Tigers will be very sorry for this signing. I see Bobby Higginson written all over it.
    I don't think they will be "very sorry." The length and money is probably more than they wanted. But, in the win now mode they knew they had to overpay.

Shinzaki is offline MotownSports Fan

Cubs fans bitching about that dirty Sanchez. Your move now Texas and LAA.....we have the best rotation and a murderous top five in our line up. Never thought I'd see the Yankees and BosSox become so...irrelevant.

Walt is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by eastside billee View Post
    I have seen a lot of this sentiment, and while I understand it some, it makes me wonder if people have not seen what other FA SPs are getting paid.

A little "back of the envelope" analysis using a couple of examples from this year. This isn't intended to be comprehensive, as I have to do some real work today.

WAR (FanGraphs) Avg of last 3 seasons:
    Greinke: 4.73
    Sanchez: 4.00
    Correia: 0.30

FA salaries (/yr):
    Greinke: 24.5M
    Sanchez: 16M
    Correia: 5M

Cost/WAR
    Greinke: 5.21
    Sanchez: 4.00
    Correia: 16.67

It seems pretty reasonable in terms of $/WAR IMO.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleyland2 View Post
    I don't think they will be "very sorry." The length and money is probably more than they wanted. But, in the win now mode they knew they had to overpay.
    IDK, I think the most amazing thing is that DD has put together a killer line-up and at least right now, I don't think anyone is particularly being paid over market. Prince will probably be in that category eventually, but I don't this team's payroll for this year at least, is too bad an overpay for the talent, and again, other than Prince we don't owe anyone stupid long money (i.e. >5 yrs)
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

PurpleEntity is offline MotownSports Fan

yes it was overpay in many ways but def worth the risk and now we can trade porcello for another needed part for a world series wins this time around ie trade for a slick fielding shortshop and then we a re set...porcello has hit a wall and best to trade now before other teams start to see that he has reached his max potential...smiley will be fine as #5 and long man in the playoffs

Scottish caveman is offline MotownSports Fan

Henning tweeted that this seals Porcello's fate to be traded !!

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Decent signing considering it eliminates the concern over who he was traded for initially plus frees up the ability to trade Porcello or Smyly for another piece.

Good move and I approve.
    VT Twitter

2014 AAT: Shannon Hogan

Well you best believe I love you baby.....when your old man ain't around.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Great move. I don't think he'll end up being overpaid at all.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

John_Brian_K is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I like it. I think Anibal is going to be better than expected. In today's market pretty much anything under a 4 ERA with a 1.2/1.3 WHIP will make it worth it.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Blog Entries

His deal looks like a steal in comparison to what Greinke got. And his production is not far off.
    Facebook

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Decent signing considering it eliminates the concern over who he was traded for initially plus frees up the ability to trade Porcello or Smyly for another piece.

Good move and I approve.
    I'm glad we may sign him, when it becomes official. It Texas throws crazy money/years at him, let him walk.
    Keeping him in Dtroit is the only way to make the trade for him justified. Giving up Turner for Omar doesn't cut it.

But, I do worry about how all these signings are going to affect a Verlander extension. I sure wish we could have extended him for several years before all this money started getting thrown around.
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish caveman View Post
    Henning tweeted that this seals Porcello's fate to be traded !!
    I bet it happens fairly quick. Would not be surprised if a tentative deal was all ready in place.

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Agree Yoda.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    I bet it happens fairly quick. Would not be surprised if a tentative deal was all ready in place.
    Definitely.
    VT Twitter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sports_Freak View Post
    I'm glad we may sign him, when it becomes official. It Texas throws crazy money/years at him, let him walk.
    Keeping him in Dtroit is the only way to make the trade for him justified. Giving up Turner for Omar doesn't cut it.

But, I do worry about how all these signings are going to affect a Verlander extension. I sure wish we could have extended him for several years before all this money started getting thrown around.
    I am sure DD is thinking ahead to make room for JV, but the money he will get is going to be staggering....I am not sure if we are going to be able to afford him.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Sparks4Ever is offline MotownSports Fan

Compared to the Grienke signing, this is a huge value. OTOH, everything is a huge value compared to the Grienke signing.
    All Time AAT: Steve Sparks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks4Ever View Post
    Compared to the Grienke signing, this is a huge value. OTOH, everything is a huge value compared to the Grienke signing.
    It is amazing what one cy young year can do for a contract. Grienke is NOWHERE near 67 mil better than Sanchez. He is a better pitcher who had that one REALLY good year.

bosman is offline MotownSports Fan

so if rick gets traded torii should ask for his money back
    AAT 2009 Danny Worth
    AAT 2013 Tommy Brookens

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm not the biggest Porcello fan, but I think I'd prefer to keep him and have Smyly out of the pen, at least for one more year.

Long term, with all this money going out, I wonder if having Miggy and Verlander here long term is a realistic possibility. For now, i'm going to enjoy it though.
    VT

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

I hope they keep Porcello for now unless they get a really good return. While I like Smyly more, the rotation is more than good enough with Porcello at #5 at Smyly starting off in Toledo if need be.

We've talked about the Tigers' lack of rotation depth - well now they have it. If everyone is healthy and pitching well by the July deadline, then the trade haul could be more appealing.

Bottom line, I hope they don't trade him simply to trade him.

Jeremy"Cy" Bonderman is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post

Good move and I approve.

I would hope DD would get something good in return for Porcello and not simply a "cut our losses" type of trade. As the saying goes, you can never have too much pitching. If we aren't getting good value in return, I'd like to see them keep Porcello.

1. He's still young! The kid is only 23 years old. He showed improvement last season and could still be a top 3 rotation guy filling a 4th or 5th rotation spot. Nice problem to have!

2. As we've seen in past seasons, injuries happen every year and it's the teams with depth that can ride those waves and survive. I live in Texas and can't help but follow the Rangers. Last season, fans were saying that they needed to trade Scott Feldman because they had too many starters. By June, Neftali Feliz and Colby Lewis were both on the 60 day DL and Feldman was their #4 guy.

I guess I'm saying, I'm fine if he gets traded, but only if we get good value in return. DD has the leverage in this thing. Especially with the starting pitching that remains out there.

Blog Entries

This might be the best pitching rotation we'll ever see in Detroit.
    Facebook

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    IDK, I think the most amazing thing is that DD has put together a killer line-up and at least right now, I don't think anyone is particularly being paid over market. Prince will probably be in that category eventually, but I don't this team's payroll for this year at least, is too bad an overpay for the talent, and again, other than Prince we don't owe anyone stupid long money (i.e. >5 yrs)
    With all the new TV money flooding into the game, Prince's average annual salary might end up looking downright reasonable.
    If there's a God, He is laughing at us and our football team.

Jeremy"Cy" Bonderman is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Los Gatos View Post
    I hope they keep Porcello for now unless they get a really good return. While I like Smyly more, the rotation is more than good enough with Porcello at #5 at Smyly starting off in Toledo if need be.

We've talked about the Tigers' lack of rotation depth - well now they have it. If everyone is healthy and pitching well by the July deadline, then the trade haul could be more appealing.

Bottom line, I hope they don't trade him simply to trade him.
    You got me by 1 minute...

I agree with everything here. Especially waiting until mid-season unless blown away by an offer. The market always changes mid-year and we'll have a better feel for the roster and team needs, including injuries. Well said/

Porcelain God is offline MotownSports Fan

I think that is an excellent point, the trade looks a lot better now. With the Tigers making the World Series, it never looked exactly bad of course. Isn't a great to be a Tigers fan these days?

Blog Entries

What WOULD be good value for a 23 year old pitcher like Porcello?

What would you take?

What position would you try and shore up? Another pitching position?

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Verlander is a college grad, so I am betting that he is smart enough not to sign anything until his contract runs out after 2014--unless we throw something like 7/200 at him in anticipation of massive salary inflation.

I don't think we will, I'm just making a guess about what it would take.
    If there's a God, He is laughing at us and our football team.

bosman is offline MotownSports Fan

Does a " What to do with Porcello/Smyly " thread need to be started
    AAT 2009 Danny Worth
    AAT 2013 Tommy Brookens

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

This makes me feel a whole lot better about last season's trade.
    AAT Joe Nathan
    Tigers-Cardinals 2014 WS. Book it.
    "The escalator isn't out of order. It's just temporarily stairs."

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't like that it's 5 years, but the money is fair.
    Kobernoooooous

RobSk is offline MotownSports Fan

I like this signing, as I believe Sanchez to be a good pitcher. It's possible, it seems to me, that if this $15 mil is the last major chunk of cash to be spent, that it might have been better spent on one more better than average OF or a mediocre hitting, good fielding SS. I point that out as a possibility, not as an criticism, since I'm not all that sure of it myself, plus in 10 minutes of searching, I don't have any idea who that SS would be.

Re: Porcello - I would be far more likely to want to keep Porcello if we had signed a good to very good fielder at SS.

As it is, I would be inclined to want to get the best value for him I could in a trade, since I think he's probably more valuable to another team. Note that this does not involve "giving up on him" or "dumping him" or "thinking he sucks", but thinking that the Tigers haven't provided the fielding support a groundball inducing pitcher like him requires to be effective. All that said - I would not give him away.

Rob
    VT
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
    - G.K. Chesterton

LineCrosser is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RobSk View Post
    Re: Porcello - I would be far more likely to want to keep Porcello if we had signed a good to very good fielder at SS.

As it is, I would be inclined to want to get the best value for him I could in a trade, since I think he's probably more valuable to another team. Note that this does not involve "giving up on him" or "dumping him" or "thinking he sucks", but thinking that the Tigers haven't provided the fielding support a groundball inducing pitcher like him requires to be effective. All that said - I would not give him away.

Rob
    I hear the Cubs are looking for pitching...
    As God is my witness... I thought turkeys could fly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobSk View Post
    I like this signing, as I believe Sanchez to be a good pitcher. It's possible, it seems to me, that if this $15 mil is the last major chunk of cash to be spent, that it might have been better spent on one more better than average OF or a mediocre hitting, good fielding SS. I point that out as a possibility, not as an criticism, since I'm not all that sure of it myself, plus in 10 minutes of searching, I don't have any idea who that SS would be.

Rob
    This
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LineCrosser View Post
    +1

Porcello for Starlin?

Quote Originally Posted by LineCrosser View Post
    Well done.
    VT Twitter

MissouriKaline6 is offline MotownSports Fan

I really didn't think he wanted to be in Detroit, or the AL for that matter, but I'm glad he's signed. Very nice, as long as he stays healthy.
    2014 AAT: Joba Chamberlin

diaspora04 is offline MotownSports Fan

I really like the fact that the Tigers seem to be able to get anyone they want at the moment.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast