Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Statik is offline MotownSports Fan

Not sure why we are in such hurry to ship Porcello off. I mean Smyly looks to be a fine pitcher...but 18 career starts. Total. Dude could wash out the first of June for all we know. Not saying he is likely too, just saying no one would be shocked.

Porcello is not a huge performer by any stretch, but he is 23, and can still chew up 180 IP and net us 14 wins out the 5 hole (as his career trend would indicate,lol).

Porcello is a cheap option, under control until 2016...and if he puts together even a mildly decent season (sub 4 ERA/sub 1.3 WHIP) his trade value will be super inflated. If Rick could even shave half a point of his ERA last year down to around 4.00 out of the 5 slot, he could probably win 15-18 games with this lineup if he stayed healthy. Not saying he has long term value to the Tigers, but his potential trade upside value to the Tigers could be huge...a lot more than it is today.

I vote to have Drew do spot starter duty and pitch out of the bullpen another year. We got 4 aces/near aces, we can afford to take another flyer on Porcello.
    You do not talk to me like that!! I work too hard to deal with this stuff!! I work too hard!! I'm a Division Manager in charge of 49 people!! I drive a Dodge Stratus!!

apabruce is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm going to feel a lot better about this team when we're not talking about paper. Specifically, I want Vmart to have a healthy ST. A couple of basketball players around here have not come back from micro surgery. I recognize basketball is more "knee dependent" than baseball, but it worries me.
    Bruce

Mammals suck.

ballmich is online now MotownSports Fan

5/$80 was pretty much expected. If compared to Greinke and CJ Wilson, I think this is the best of those three contracts. If Sanchez is worse than those two, and I don't think he is, then it isn't by much.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by apabruce View Post
    I'm going to feel a lot better about this team when we're not talking about paper. Specifically, I want Vmart to have a healthy ST. A couple of basketball players around here have not come back from micro surgery. I recognize basketball is more "knee dependent" than baseball, but it worries me.
    I agree about the worries with VMart's knee. Also, his timing may be off the 1st month or so. I'm not going to go all "Inge" on him if he struggles out of the gate. The guy can rake, he's proven that. Just come out of ST healthy and his timing will come back. Hitters hit and Victor hits!
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

Porcelain God is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Statik View Post
    Not sure why we are in such hurry to ship Porcello off. I mean Smyly looks to be a fine pitcher...but 18 career starts. Total. Dude could wash out the first of June for all we know. Not saying he is likely too, just saying no one would be shocked.

Porcello is not a huge performer by any stretch, but he is 23, and can still chew up 180 IP and net us 14 wins out the 5 hole (as his career trend would indicate,lol).

Porcello is a cheap option, under control until 2016...and if he puts together even a mildly decent season (sub 4 ERA/sub 1.3 WHIP) his trade value will be super inflated. If Rick could even shave half a point of his ERA last year down to around 4.00 out of the 5 slot, he could probably win 15-18 games with this lineup if he stayed healthy. Not saying he has long term value to the Tigers, but his potential trade upside value to the Tigers could be huge...a lot more than it is today.

I vote to have Drew do spot starter duty and pitch out of the bullpen another year. We got 4 aces/near aces, we can afford to take another flyer on Porcello.
    Because it's a gamble. If Porcello has a similar (or worse) season next season he then has basically zero trade value. The value placed on Porcello is the potential that you mentioned.

Statik is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain God View Post
    Because it's a gamble. If Porcello has a similar (or worse) season next season he then has basically zero trade value. The value placed on Porcello is the potential that you mentioned.
    His trade value is fairly low now after last year, I can't imagine it can get a lot worse...but even a mediocre 2013 would net us good value in a trade because Rick would be a 24 year-old starting pitcher with near 1,000 IPs and a lot of perceived upside.

It is a gamble though, no question...I agree. I just don't think we are gambling a heck of a lot for a much larger potential payoff. Risk vs. reward.
    You do not talk to me like that!! I work too hard to deal with this stuff!! I work too hard!! I'm a Division Manager in charge of 49 people!! I drive a Dodge Stratus!!

RandyMarsh is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain God View Post
    Even if this were true, the risk doesn't outweigh the reward. Right now his value isn't that high, I mean it's not like he's going to net us a top flight prospect. So even if he has a bad year next year the worst we would lose out on is a decent prospect. Now the worst case scenario is we trade him for that halfway decent prospect but Porcello ends up fulfilling his potential and turns into a solid number 2 and one or more of our current starters get injured and were left starting Adam Wilk and or scouring the market overpaying for a guy that nobody wants. Just too much could go wrong imo to trade Rick unless we get an unreal offer for him.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Porcello is drawing interest from a lot of teams. I'm sure they'll get something good in return.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

No official confirmation that this deal is done yet.
    VT Twitter

I love the smell of Red Bull in the morning.

C03BRA is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    No official confirmation that this deal is done yet.
    Will be announced Monday
    2011 AAT: Chance Ruffin, RP

Chili Mac Davis is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    Porcello is drawing interest from a lot of teams. I'm sure they'll get something good in return.
    It all comes down to what they can get for him. For those who want to keep him, didn't he give up the most hits in the league last year? His WHIP continues to deteriorate. Not sure how much better he is than a 2011 Brad Penny at this point (a few more K's maybe). Maybe a shift to the BP would help but he's not a guy you want to bring in to put out a fire, I don't think.

As a side note, based on the strength of our big four starters and their ability to go 200 innings apiece, I think we can get by with an eleven man staff this year from time to time. But not if we keep the rule five LH guy.

It'll be a fun year.
    "Dombrowski Swings Three Way Deal with Multiple Sox Partners"

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darko31 View Post
    Who was the LHP who was great when he played but always injured? Justin Thompson I think? Man, that guy was everything you needed to know about the 91-05 Tigers.
    Yup that was him. He was really good one year, and weaver had a good couple of years, but that was about it.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I imagine any deal with Porcello wouldn't be a straight 1 for 1 swap with an opposing player or, if it was, they would already have a contingency plan to acquire additional starting pitching depth. If he's traded, I could envision it as part of a larger deal that also sees Peralta and Boesch and maybe a few minor league prospects traded for a SS, RH 4th OF and starting pitching depth.

They can't just trade Porcello without getting any starters back given how little depth they have behind Smyly.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

Nastradamus is online now MotownSports Fan

Unless they have a contingency plan for a 6th starter type on the market. A Freddy Garcia/Aaron Cook type or whatever.

PurpleEntity is offline MotownSports Fan

i get a feeling that we should wait till someone gets desparate and give us what we need ie texas has done nothing and lost hamilton so porc for prospar or elvis

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Chili Mac Davis View Post
    It all comes down to what they can get for him. For those who want to keep him, didn't he give up the most hits in the league last year? His WHIP continues to deteriorate. Not sure how much better he is than a 2011 Brad Penny at this point (a few more K's maybe). Maybe a shift to the BP would help but he's not a guy you want to bring in to put out a fire, I don't think.

As a side note, based on the strength of our big four starters and their ability to go 200 innings apiece, I think we can get by with an eleven man staff this year from time to time. But not if we keep the rule five LH guy.

It'll be a fun year.
    He had very similar (actually better) peripherals to Trevor Cahill, and Cahill fetched quite a bit. Teams are desperate for pitching, especially if it's relatively inexpensive.

hammb is offline MotownSports Fan

I hate Rick Porcello and pitchers of his ilk. But I think a lot of that is me being spoiled by getting to watch guys like Verlander and Scherzer on a regular basis. Porcello still has a lot of value as a guy that's going to give you 180 IP of marginally better than crap pitching. And given his age and cost I'm sure we'd have takers on a trade.

Personally though I think I'm inclined to keep him unless we get a really good offer. As much as I love our rotation we still have Fister who was hurt quite a bit last year, Scherzer who has never pitched 200 innings in a season, and Drew Smyly who is inexperienced and was also hurt last year. Given that we're in total win now mode I think it's very likely that keeping Porcello as a 6th starter may prove more valuable to the 2013 Tigers than whatever we'd get in return for him would.

The Tigers are certainly in the catbird seat when it comes to Porcello. It is the equivalent of a 3-0 count on Cabrera: if the pitch isn't perfect, take the walk.
    VT Twitter

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

The Tigers should absolutely trade Porcello. Porcello has been a starter for 4 years in this Tigers rotation, he has gotten worse as time has gone on.

Porcello adds way more value to the tigers in a trade than he does on the roster. There is always someone to fill in if a starter gets injured. Fortunately, the Tigers can afford to be patient here, no need to rush.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    There is always someone to fill in if a starter gets injured.
    For one game maybe, but if a Tigers starter gets injured for a long period, they have no real alternatives after Porcello/Smyly.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    For one game maybe, but if a Tigers starter gets injured for a long period, they have no real alternatives after Porcello/Smyly.
    What does no real alternatives mean? Both AA and AAA will have 5 starters a piece, plus trades or free agents. Rick Porcello is no safety net. I would rather take the unproven then the guy who gives up the most hits in baseball.

What does no real alternatives mean? Both AA and AAA will have 5 starters a piece, plus trades or free agents. Rick Porcello is no safety net. I would rather take the unproven then the guy who gives up the most hits in baseball.

Did he give up the most hits because hes a bad pitcher or because of the horrible defense behind him?
    VT Twitter

There is a huge difference between the majors and minors. Both AA and AAA each have players at all the other positions too. That doesn't mean they are guys that can start in the majors for an extended period. The vast majority of minor league starting pitchers would be awful (worse than Porcello) if thrown into a regular starting role in the majors. The Tigers don't have pitchers in AA or AAA that really have much potential to help as starters next year. Now, if they can get someone worthwhile for Porcello, they should make a trade but there is no urgency to deal him and they would benefit from having him around.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Porcello adds way more value to the tigers in a trade than he does on the roster.
    Perhaps, but it depends on what the trade offerings are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Did he give up the most hits because hes a bad pitcher or because of the horrible defense behind him?
    He is a bad pitcher and his defense his bad.

Blog Entries

There is a huge difference between the majors and minors. Both AA and AAA each have players at all the other positions too. That doesn't mean they are guys that can start in the majors for an extended period. The vast majority of minor league starting pitchers would be awful (worse than Porcello) if thrown into a regular starting role in the majors. The Tigers don't have pitchers in AA or AAA that really have much potential to help as starters next year. Now, if they can get someone worthwhile for Porcello, they should make a trade but there is no urgency to deal him and they would benefit from having him around.
    And what happens if Porcello becomes disgruntled about not starting?

The benefit I see in keeping Porcello based on possible injuries in the future is negligible. I agree, there is no urgency to trade him, but if I were GM it would be my top priority to have him dealt prior to spring training.

RobSk is offline MotownSports Fan

Crap, now they have two pitchers who don't know how to win games.
    I think that magically, pitchers learn how to win games when their defense gets better and the offense scores 5 runs a game.

Rob
    VT
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
    - G.K. Chesterton

And what happens if Porcello becomes disgruntled about not starting?

The benefit I see in keeping Porcello based on possible injuries in the future is negligible. I agree, there is no urgency to trade him, but if I were GM it would be my top priority to have him dealt prior to spring training.
    He'd probably be starting. I don't think the Tigers view Smyly as a sure thing and they shouldn't.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Blog Entries

He'd probably be starting. I don't think the Tigers view Smyly as a sure thing and they shouldn't.
    Smyly is a much better pitcher than Porcello. Porcello doesn't miss bats and it is helpful to have a lefty pitcher in the AL central. Porcello shouldn't be in the rotation.
    Last edited by T&P_Fan; 12-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Microline133 is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't think the Tigers view Smyly as a sure thing and they shouldn't.
    I think you're correct here, Lee.

Drew Smyly has had injury issues repeatedly throughout his career. The Tigers are right to question his ability to handle a full-season workload in a starting rotation. This is the biggest reason I support holding onto both players heading into the season.

2007 (High School) - Back and elbow trouble
    2008 (Freshman at Arkansas) - Red-shirted the season, stress fracture in left elbow
    2009 (RS-Freshman at Arkansas) - 58 IP (blister issues)
    2010 (RS-Sophomore at Arkansas) - 103 IP (blister issues)
    2011 (Pro Debut) - Sore left elbow, 126 IP
    2012 (Second full pro season) - Right intercostal strain, blister issues, 117 IP

This isn't a guy a team can count on to log 150-180 innings in 2013 and they would be wise to make sure they at least have a backup plan if they choose to make him the fifth starter. That backup plan does not presently exist in the minor leagues, barring some pretty unexpected leap forward in control and consistency from Casey Crosby.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Smyly is a much better pitcher than Porcello. Porcello doesn't miss bats and it is helpful to have a lefty pitcher in the AL central. Porcello shouldn't be in the rotation.
    He was better in April. After that he had a 4.77 ERA (Porcello was 4.32). Smyly has better K and hit rates, Porcello gives up fewer walks, homers. There are things to like about Smyly, but I'm not ready to say he's a good starter over a full season yet. I don't think LH vs RH matters much for starters. Right now, I think they are both decent 5th starter options, but not more than that yet.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Just announced. Have a club option for 2018. Press conference at 3 PM.

Knobler also says Tigers got a dozen calls about Porcello within 3 hours of Sanchez signing.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

I wonder how much the option is going to end up being for.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

mmwatkin is offline MotownSports Fan

So who gets the boot off the 40-man now that the Sanchez deal is official? Ortega?

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    I wonder how much the option is going to end up being for.
    If I was a betting man, I would say roughly $0.00.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Blog Entries

I don't think LH vs RH matters much for starters.
    Really?

Porcello in 2012:

vs RHP: 350 AB, .725 OPS, 4.82 SO/BB

vs LHP: 378 AB, .883 OPS, 1.64 SO.BB

Porcello should not be pitching to lefties, he is really bad at it.

Really?

Porcello in 2012:

I know he has trouble versus LH batters. Sanchez has trouble vs RH batters. There might me some team where you'd rather have the LH pitch than the RH, but I don't think you plug someone in as a full-time starter just because he is a LH. Match-ups are more for bullpen management.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Longgone is offline MotownSports Fan

Really?

Porcello in 2012:

You don't like Porcello. We get it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Longgone View Post
    You don't like Porcello. We get it.
    Nice way to join the debate. Do you have a point? Should we not debate Porcello?

Longgone is offline MotownSports Fan

Nice way to join the debate. Do you have a point? Should we not debate Porcello?
    The horse is pulp

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast