Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Brayan Pena New Back-Up Catcher; 1 year deal

I like this pick up, 30 year old veteran and will do a nice job of backing up Avila.

Jason Beck ‏@beckjason

#Tigers find their backup catcher. They announce a 1-yr deal with ex-Royal Brayan Pena.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

A.J.K. is offline MotownSports Fan

via Tigers Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com: Reliever Matt Hoffman has been DFA'd to make room for Pena on the 40-man roster.
    2014 AAT: Luke Putkonen
    2013 AAT: Darin Downs
    All-time AAT: Jim Walewander

Walt is offline MotownSports Fan

Your move KC. :P
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    I like this pick up, 30 year old veteran and will do a nice job of backing up Avila.

Jason Beck ‏@beckjason

#Tigers find their backup catcher. They announce a 1-yr deal with ex-Royal Brayan Pena.
    Yup. A safe way to start the season, but the best outcome would be for Holaday or Cabrera to bump him out of a job by season's end. He doesn't really bring a useful bat against LHP so no improvement on that score.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

I think this is a crappy signing.

The LH portion of platoon splits is nothing special. He can't hit and has a low OBP.

Guys have run on him fairly frequently over the last 2 years (1 AB attempt per 6 2/3 IP for Pena, roughly 1 per 9 IP for Alex).

He is a replacement level player.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

I like when the Tigers pick up terrible players, so I'm delighted

Paying money to a guy who to be worse than our minor leaguers just because he has played in MLB before wooo
    Kobernoooooous

clemma is offline MotownSports Fan

He couldn't carry Duffy Dyer's laundry

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Wow, I didn't think DD could make me wish they re-signed Laird, but he certainly is putting forth an effort.

Clark: "(Clark notices that there is cat food in the jello.) Aunt Bethany? Does your cat by any chance eat jello?"
    Eddie: "I don't know about the cat, but I sure am enjoying it."
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

blech
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    I think this is a crappy signing.

The LH portion of platoon splits is nothing special. He can't hit and has a low OBP.

Guys have run on him fairly frequently over the last 2 years (1 AB attempt per 6 2/3 IP for Pena, roughly 1 per 9 IP for Alex).

He is a replacement level player.
    Haven't seen any salary announcement. I'm guessing they aren't paying him much more than a replacement level salary. Do you think he cost them more than a million?
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 12-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Pena's batting line against lefties:

2010: 0.204/0.264/0.245
    2011: 0.250/0.292/0.309
    2012: 0.265/0.278/0.368

Career: 0.245/0.287/0.327

Avila's batting line against lefties:

2010: 0.182/0.289/0.356
    2011: 0.273/0.349/0.430
    2012: 0.176/0.304/0.235

Career: 0.234/0.330/0.352

All things considered, I'd probably rather have Alex facing lefties than Brayan. I didn't think that would be possible.

I'm a little surprised by Hoffman, but he's not a huge loss. Ortega, would have seemed to be the better choice, given his complete suckitude.

I love carrying four catchers on the 40-man, especially when three of them are absolutely horrible.
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Haven't seen any salary announcement. I'm guessing they aren't paying him much more than a replacement level salary. Do you think he cost them them more than a million?
    No, but paying 500k for a guy that isn't going to address Alex Avila's weakness (batting against lefties) makes no sense to me. I'd much rather spend $1.5 million on a guy that can hit lefties.

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

I'm assuming Pena is good at working with a pitching staff, because I'm not seeing much else to like. I think experience is important at the catching position, so he's probably better than Holaday, but that's not saying much.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

Why not get someone who can actually hit lefthanded pitching?
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    I'm assuming Pena is good at working with a pitching staff, because I'm not seeing much else to like. I think experience is important at the catching position, so he's probably better than Holaday, but that's not saying much.
    Pena is a switch hitter. Can't have too many of those.

Who cares if he can't actually hit from either side?

Quote Originally Posted by drownwithyou View Post
    Why not get someone who can actually hit lefthanded pitching?
    They tried that with Laird - his hitting against LHP promptly tanked last season.

IDK, maybe they like Cabrera for backup C but since he is no sure thing yet, they need some insurance for at least the 1st half of this year. Otherwise, for Olliver and the price of signing Pena you would think they could have done better.

TStar is offline MotownSports Fan

Need more switch hitters so Leyland can craft his R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R lineup this season too.
    AAT: Clete Thomas ('09), Patrick Leyland ('10)

Carpe Diem!!!

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

This is nothing more than DD not doing his homework. Filing in the role of backup catcher should have been the easiest thing for the Tigers to do. Yet they find someone who can't hit lefties when what we really needed was someone who hits lefties.

It's a good thing this really doesn't matter that much, still a poor move by Dombrowski. Dave continually fails when it comes to role/backup players.

TStar is offline MotownSports Fan

Is Pena a lock to make the Opening Day roster? I get the feeling that Holaday can still win the job in ST.

On the plus side, now that we have 2 hitting coaches maybe we can get twice the results from Pena. Let Llyod work from him on the right side and Toby on the left!
    AAT: Clete Thomas ('09), Patrick Leyland ('10)

Carpe Diem!!!

I can't defend the rationale of signing Pena. However, I do think that a lot of organizations don't like to straight-platoon the catcher spot based upon opposing pitcher. I think a lot of teams prefer to keep the Pitcher/Catcher pairing, and sometimes assign the back-up guy to a specific pitcher in the rotation. Does anyone think we'll see Pena catching Verlander? I doubt it.

Maybe that is the goal here. I don't like it, but it's the only reason I can see for specifically signing a guy who has a long track record of not hitting LHP, when that was clearly and desparately what we needed.

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

FWIW, his BA goes up to .320 with RISP last year. I would imagine he's good at handling a pitching staff. When you have the best pitcher in the game, this is very important imo.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

FWIW, his BA goes up to .320 with RISP last year.
    In 50 AB with RISP in 2012, Pena hit 0.320/0.333/0.360. Throughout his career he has hit 0.257/0.288/0.374 with RISP.

In 88 AB with RISP in 2012, Avila hit 0.273/0.377/0.432. Throughout his career he has hit 0.258/0.379/0.375.

I would take Avila's 2012 RISP numbers over Pena's.

I would imagine he's good at handling a pitching staff. When you have the best pitcher in the game, this is very important imo.
    This is speculative (both in terms of his ability and in terms of importance). Avila is likely to catch Verlander, so I don't think this is impactful WRT Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    I can't defend the rationale of signing Pena. However, I do think that a lot of organizations don't like to straight-platoon the catcher spot based upon opposing pitcher. I think a lot of teams prefer to keep the Pitcher/Catcher pairing, and sometimes assign the back-up guy to a specific pitcher in the rotation. Does anyone think we'll see Pena catching Verlander? I doubt it.
    I suspect Verlander will start 33 or 34 games in 2012. Probably 8 or 9 of those are against a lefty. If the rationale is to not get a catcher who can hit lefties because that guy won't catch Justin, I'd be pretty disappointed.

I know you can't get a straight platoon, but they should be able to get it set up 75% - 85% of the time.

Maybe that is the goal here. I don't like it, but it's the only reason I can see for specifically signing a guy who has a long track record of not hitting LHP, when that was clearly and desparately what we needed.
    I wonder if they valued Pena just because he was a switch hitter. Honestly.

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Our bench sucks and this move doesn't help it.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I have a really hard time thinking that any argument brought up here is something that DD didn't already think of and figured the risk or whatever was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I have a really hard time thinking that any argument brought up here is something that DD didn't already think of and figured the risk or whatever was worth it
    Probably true. I think he just doesn't like spending money on a bench. That doesn't change the fact that they have a bad bench and have had them in the past.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Tigers sign Brayan Pena to be backup catcher « Beck's Blog

“We are pleased to add an experienced catcher like Brayan Pena to our club,” Dombrowski said in the statement. “As a switch-hitter, he will serve as a solid complement to Alex Avila as our back-up catcher for the 2013 season.”
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I see his assistant has opened the thesaurus. Happy has been replaced by Pleased and Solid has replaced Quality.

Happy and Quality are reserved for upper tier signings.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Quote Originally Posted by TStar View Post
    Is Pena a lock to make the Opening Day roster? I get the feeling that Holaday can still win the job in ST.
    Calling Pena the back-up catcher for 2013 would indicate that Holaday isn't in direct competition for the role.

Calling Pena the back-up catcher for 2013 would indicate that Holaday isn't in direct competition for the role.
    I think there is difference to be recognized between 'the backup catcher' and the 'platoon catcher'. They still need someone in the organization with a relatively guaranteed performance floor in case Avila gets injured, a role which is not quite the same as the young guys, one of whom you hope turns out to have enough upside to be a right handed platoon compliment (or more) for Avila but whose downside is still not even being able to make a MLB roster. The problem with Pena in the former role is that if one of the younger guys is looking good, Pena's service time (>5yrs) means he has to stay on the 25 roster even if we want to make a call-up.

So it still doesn't add up completely to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I think there is difference to be recognized between 'the backup catcher' and the 'platoon catcher'. They still need someone in the organization with a relatively guaranteed performance floor in case Avila gets injured, a role which is not quite the same as the young guys, one of whom you hope turns out to have enough upside to be a right handed platoon compliment (or more) for Avila but whose downside is still not even being able to make a MLB roster. The problem with Pena in the former role is that if one of the younger guys is looking good, Pena's service time (>5yrs) means he has to stay on the 25 roster even if we want to make a call-up.

So it still doesn't add up completely to me.
    My best guess is the Tigers do not view money spent on the bench as worth it.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    It's not really an argument when there isn't any upside to Pena. The only way this makes sense is if they think the minor leaguers they have are exceptionally terrible. Which is possible.
    Kobernoooooous

Well I sure hope someone asks DD about signing Pena when Shoppach and Snyder were both available in that ask DD a question thing on Twitter tomorrow. I'd like to see him tell us that Pena is a quality baseball player, just one more time.

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

I think the problem is any "backup" good enough for this message board is also probably good enough to be a starter, or at least the major half of a platoon on about 50% of the major league teams out there. So no matter how much we offer them, they're going to take the job that offers them more starts.

I think that's something posters on here often overlook. Not everyone who is technically available wants to play here.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCouga View Post
    I think the problem is any "backup" good enough for this message board is also probably good enough to be a starter, or at least the major half of a platoon on about 50% of the major league teams out there. So no matter how much we offer them, they're going to take the job that offers them more starts.

I think that's something posters on here often overlook. Not everyone who is technically available wants to play here.
    It does take two to tango. In Shoppach's case you'd think DD probably made him an offer last year if not this year as well.

In Snyder's case, is the increment between him and Pena enough to make any diff?

Somebody good enough to get the majority of a platoon starts isn't of interest to the Tigers though.

Anyone who would be of interest to the Tigers (hit LH pitching well) and could be used in the majority of starts in a platoon situation (i.e. hits RH pitching reasonably well) isn't a platoon player, he is a starter.

Kelly Shoppach has been getting around 70 games a year. In a straight platoon, that would drop to around 50 games. It isn't some huge difference. I'd imagine some extra pay makes up the difference.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 12-10-2012 at 04:26 PM.

There's probably some truth to this, but at the same time, there aren't a lot of options out there for someone who wants to be a starter. Outside of maybe the Yankees, I can't think of anyone off hand...

Then look at the list of guys who are yet to be signed and outside of Pierzynski, none of these guys has been a full time starter in several years. And quite a few are coming off poor seasons. It's hard to imagine how most of these guys would pass up a major league spot, if offered, even if it is just a 50 game/year back-up role.

Rod Barajas C 37
    Henry Blanco C 41
    Miguel Olivo C 34
    A.J. Pierzynski C 35
    Brian Schneider C 36
    Kelly Shoppach C 32
    Chris Snyder C 31
    Matt Treanor C 36

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Rod Barajas C 37
    Henry Blanco C 41
    Miguel Olivo C 34
    A.J. Pierzynski C 35
    Brian Schneider C 36
    Kelly Shoppach C 32
    Chris Snyder C 31
    Matt Treanor C 36
    That's a motley crew....
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast