Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    tigermojo is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    I could see this meaning the end of Berry as his pinch running role and maybe backup of spot could be taken. Gives some extra flexibility if they want to get a full-time of and make Dirks the 4th of.
    I thought the same thing at first. Bye bye Berry, but now I'm thinking maybe they liked his speed so much they want two fast players on the bench. Considering what we had last season with a bunch of guys who couldn't hit or field on the bench, I'll take a kid with speed who can play 2B and the outfield.

So far we have Holaday, Santiago, Berry and Kobernus on the bench? Did I miss anybody? Plenty of room for improvement, I think this may actually be a downgrade from last season.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

I would think the only way for Berry and Kobernus to be on the bench at the same time is if Jeff can play ss well enough to be counted on as the back-up short-stop (i.e. He would play 20 - 30 games at short).

I think that because I think the Tigers will have a RH OF to platoon with Dirks and a back-up catcher as two bench players. Presuming Kobernus is the third bench player, either Kobernus has to be the back-up SS (in which case the 4th bench player could be Berry) or the 4th bench player is the back-up ss.

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Don Kelly had some magic moments as a Tiger. Won't lose sight of that in all the numberbation.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

tigermojo is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe they are thinking Kobernus or Infante could be Dirks' RH platoon partners with one of them playing second and one in left. Infante played just about every position with the Braves in 2010. He's been primarily a second baseman since then though except for 6 games at third for the Tigers last year. Could the Tigers be looking at Infante as a potential super utility guy?

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    His name sounds Greek...is that a gritty ethnicity? :--)
    Greeks tend to be short and stocky and aggressive (just the opposite of me) so it could be a gritty ethnicity. I was thinking more along the lines of crappy hitting second baseman with speed, decent defense and "hard-nosed style of play" (Baseball America).
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Greeks tend to be short and stocky and aggressive (just the opposite of me) so it could be a gritty ethnicity. I was thinking more along the lines of crappy hitting second baseman with speed, decent defense and "hard-nosed style of play" (Baseball America).
    and have big awesome weddings! (so the movies tell me)
    2014 AAT: Drew VerHagen

Charles Liston is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    I liked reading that he's "heady" too, which he'd have to be of course. Being a white guy, he wouldn't be able to rely just on natural athletic ability. He's going to get his uniform dirty. You have to watch this guy play to appreciate him, the numbers don't tell the whole story.

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Microline133 View Post
    I would argue these are both low risk, low reward moves. At best you get a swingman or situational lefty out of Lobstein and a speedy utility player out of Kobernus. That's a low reward for me. It's not as though of these guys has the potential to become a regular contributor.
    Yes, I have to say you're right. Berry, Santiago and Worth have already performed at the ML level, with some success. There's no way some AA or AAA player is going to come here and earn a spot on a World Championship contending team. Maybe on a rebuilding team......

But, if the Tigers see a need for these guys down in the minors, I could see them working out a deal to keep them in the organization.

And you never know, sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle.
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sports_Freak View Post
    Yes, I have to say you're right. Berry, Santiago and Worth have already performed at the ML level, with some success. There's no way some AA or AAA player is going to come here and earn a spot on a World Championship contending team. Maybe on a rebuilding team......

But, if the Tigers see a need for these guys down in the minors, I could see them working out a deal to keep them in the organization.

And you never know, sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle.
    This sort of thing does happen all the time, and will probably happen again this year at some point.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Microline133 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Mark - could Kobernus conceivably play 20 games at shortstop in MLB this year?
    I've actually seen Kobernus at short, catching one of his handful of career games at the position. It wasn't pretty. He has the range for the position, but I don't like his footwork, hands or instincts on that side of the diamond.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

I've actually seen Kobernus at short, catching one of his handful of career games at the position. It wasn't pretty. He has the range for the position, but I don't like his footwork, hands or instincts on that side of the diamond.
    Thanks!

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Since it's not included in his negatives I take it you did like his grittiness over there?
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    I'm presuming Peralta would play 3rd.

If Kobernus can play short reasonably well, I think the Tigers are adequately covered at all positions (I assume VMart could play 1B if necessary) with a 4th OF and back-up catcher.
    Peralta played zero games at 3B in 2012. He played zero games for us at 3B in 2011. Leyland is not going to shift his starting SS to 3B on days that he puts Cabrera at DH or has a day off. He will leave Peralta at SS, and use a reserve player at 3B, almost guaranteed.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    Good call.

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler
    Tigers excited by both guys they got in Rule 5, but especially Kobernus. "He's the new Don Kelly," one Tigers person said.
    I'd actually prefer Don Kelly, because I know he is a good defender at 3B and can play a corner OF position adequately. And I prefer the LHB, which isn't that important considering neither Kelly or Kobernus will hit, but still. 3B and a 5th OF will be more of a need with the last roster spot than another 2B or middle infielder, when you already have Peralta, Infante and Santiago (or Worth) on the roster. There's not enough PA's to go around with another middle infielder.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    I'd actually prefer Don Kelly, because I know he is a good defender at 3B and can play a corner OF position adequately. And I prefer the LHB, which isn't that important considering neither Kelly or Kobernus will hit, but still. 3B and a 5th OF will be more of a need with the last roster spot than another 2B or middle infielder, when you already have Peralta, Infante and Santiago (or Worth) on the roster. There's not enough PA's to go around with another middle infielder.
    I think there is a decent chance Santiago gets moved. Then you have Worth to backup SS/3b (as well as 2b) and Kobernus at 2b/OF/maybe SS/maybe 3b. Covers the IF and 5th OF position (especially since Infante can play OF in a pinch).
    Micah 7:7

I think there is a decent chance Santiago gets moved. Then you have Worth to backup SS/3b (as well as 2b) and Kobernus at 2b/OF/maybe SS/maybe 3b. Covers the IF and 5th OF position (especially since Infante can play OF in a pinch).
    Yeah - for me the Kubernus acquisition suggests they are looking to move Santiago.

There is a lot of assumptions built into this.

1. Santiago is traded (or I guess released which has the same effect).
    2. Kobernus can play OF, maybe SS, maybe 3B --- all adequately. He's really only played 2B in the minors, and based upon Micro's comments, it seems like we can probably rule out SS.
    3. Infante can play OF in a pinch -- even though he hasn't played it since 2010 and Leyland typically doesn't shift around his starting players.

I don't like relying on that many unknowns.

I just don't like the Kobernus pick because what would be nice in this roster spot is a big bat, or a utility player who is a plus defender. Frankly, I'd probably prefer Chone Figgins at the league minimum over Kobernus. If we want someone who can play 3B, a corner OF spot, and 2B, with above average defense and good speed... that is Figgins.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

As far as rule 5's go, its usually low risk low reward, so if the Tigers get anything useful out of this, I'm all for it.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

One of the 2 MIF (Worth or Santiago, more likely Santiago) will be gone. Kobernus can play the OF.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

If we could have the 28 yr old Don Kelly I'd agree - but that player doesn't exist anymore.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

There is a lot of assumptions built into this.

1. Santiago is traded (or I guess released which has the same effect).
    2. Kobernus can play OF, maybe SS, maybe 3B --- all adequately. He's really only played 2B in the minors, and based upon Micro's comments, it seems like we can probably rule out SS.
    3. Infante can play OF in a pinch -- even though he hasn't played it since 2010 and Leyland typically doesn't shift around his starting players.

I don't like relying on that many unknowns.

I just don't like the Kobernus pick because what would be nice in this roster spot is a big bat, or a utility player who is a plus defender. Frankly, I'd probably prefer Chone Figgins at the league minimum over Kobernus. If we want someone who can play 3B, a corner OF spot, and 2B, with above average defense and good speed... that is Figgins.
    Its almost impossible for him to be as bad as Figgins.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123