Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mr. Bigglesworth is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Downtheriver View Post
    The reverse is also possible. They may not want him. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory in Boston.
    He had an OPS+ of 111 in Boston. I'd love to have that in a back-up catcher.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 12-10-2012 at 08:33 AM.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

The reverse is also possible. They may not want him. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory in Boston.
    How does one cover themselves in glory, I wonder? And how is that beneficial to the player or ballclub?
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

I've also mentioned Chris Synder as someone who historically has good splits vs LHP.

If this wasn't a competitive team, I'd be fine letting Holaday or Cabrera fight for the back-up role. But we are reigning AL champs with a good possibility of repeating. For freak sakes, sign a back-up catcher that if pressed into duty can at least hit LHP.

Downtheriver is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    How does one cover themselves in glory, I wonder? And how is that beneficial to the player or ballclub?
    It's like covering oneself in bacon only not as messy.

Yes, he could be good in the right situation. He bitched about playing time in Boston and was known to be a clubhouse lawyer. The Tigers seem to have a good mix of personalities and incentives and Shop seems - IMO - like a "me first" player. Maybe the issue was money but maybe the organization just didn't feel like he would mix in all that well.

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Glad they sold on Oliver. He's got Nate Cornejo eyes (Deer in the headlights).
    All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infantís life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

Yes, he could be good in the right situation. He bitched about playing time in Boston and was known to be a clubhouse lawyer. The Tigers seem to have a good mix of personalities and incentives and Shop seems - IMO - like a "me first" player. Maybe the issue was money but maybe the organization just didn't feel like he would mix in all that well.
    I think the bigger problem in Boston is that nothing stays in the clubhouse. I think most professional athletes are me first when it comes to money and playing time. Some are just better at cliches and knowing when to use them.
    Last edited by tiger337; 12-11-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

I'll take your word about the bacon, I only eat it.

I guess I'd rather sign players that want to play as much as possible rather than someone who doesn't want to play. But if he can convince a team that he deserve more playing time, great, he wasn't the guy for us then. I'd also mentioned Synder about 20 times... I might have preferred him anyway, but regardless, this is water under the bridge now, since Avila will be catching all 162 games this year plus all play-off games. That's my interpretation of signing Pena, anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12