Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    davidsb is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I still want Casper back for that platoon role. I can't imagine it would be hard to pull off.
    Because .220 hitters are so hard to come by.

Nastradamus is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    Wells had an .890 OPS against lefties last year, that while playing half of his games in arguably the worst park in the majors for righties. He's also a plus fielder and has been worth 4.1 WAR in his 656 PAs in the majors.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    Back in the early days Ban Johnson used to love to find men who worked in the fields or were farmers and turn them into professional ball players. What you said reminded me of that because the principal is the same.

So, I agree.
    I think you are either thinking of Branch Rickey or John McGraw.

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    Be careful what you say. His father is watching.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    I think you are either thinking of Branch Rickey or John McGraw.
    That might be right, John McGraw seems to be the likely candidate. I always get some of the earlier characters confused.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Be careful what you say. His father is watching.
    He'll come to Ferndale too...
    VT Twitter

2014 AAT: Shannon Hogan

Make the world a better place: punch Dustin Pedroia in the face.

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Ryan Raburn will hit two homers off Joaquin Benoit next year as starting LF for the Houston Astros. Book it.

And then some dumb fan will be like "Why did we ever get rid of this guy?!"
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

So long, Ryan....a guy with some pop, speed and a cannon who managed to be a fairly decent semi-regular player for a few years. Most people would kill to have lived his life for the last 5 years.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan

I wonder who we will trade to get him back in three years?
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

Zack attack is offline MotownSports Fan

I see the Marlins picking him up and playing him in a utility role just because they need to fill roster spots right now.

Good news is I can finally get rid of this (RYAN) RUGBURN that I've had for years...
    AAT: 2011 E. Young (67th) | 2012 B. Inge (24th)/B. Eldred/Q. Berry | 2013 M. Henneman (84th) | 2014 A. Jackson (22nd)

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Hope the Rays pick him up so Mom and Dad can watch him more often.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Anybody have insight on the ugliness that happened toward the end with Ryan? I don't want to stir up dirty laundry but at the same time I'm curious as to his not being around that final month. Besides his bad stats it seemed like there were some issues. [edit: I might be thinking of Boesch here...Raburn always seemed like he was a good soldier]
    Last edited by ROMAD1; 11-23-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    Anybody have insight on the ugliness that happened toward the end with Ryan? I don't want to stir up dirty laundry but at the same time I'm curious as to his not being around that final month. Besides his bad stats it seemed like there were some issues.
    He had an "injury".
    VT Twitter

T.O. Tiger Fan is offline MotownSports Fan

Raburn's made a pretty decent career thus far given his limited defensive abilities. I imagine someone will pick him up and give him a shot.
    Avisail Garcia, OF (2013 Adopt - A - Tiger) TRADED JULY 30, 2013
    DET: G 30 | HR 2 | RBI 10 | SB 0 | BB 4 | SO 21 | BA .241 | OBP .273 | SLG .373 | OPS .646

I wish him the best. He's a streaky hitter if there ever was one. He had some phenomenal numbers against the White Sox from what I recall.

grandma g is offline MotownSports Fan

Wish you folks would find another "thing" to beat up...Let him go in Peace! Find someone else to tear up....Our family wishes Ryan nothing BUT THE BEST & hope he land with a team, if that is his wish....Hoping his injuries are behind him and he is given a fresh start...Ryan is one classy guy & not just saying that because he stayed with us his 2 West Michigan seasons either....Grandma G & Family
    [SIZE="2"]West Michigan Whitecaps:
    Midwest League Champs '07, '06, '04, '98 '96

Quote Originally Posted by grandma g View Post
    Wish you folks would find another "thing" to beat up...Let him go in Peace! Find someone else to tear up....Our family wishes Ryan nothing BUT THE BEST & hope he land with a team, if that is his wish....Hoping his injuries are behind him and he is given a fresh start...Ryan is one classy guy & not just saying that because he stayed with us his 2 West Michigan seasons either....Grandma G & Family
    ok, go easy. It happens to everyone in every walk of life. Do not mean to dump on a guy when he's down but he's no more worthy of the general fan's concern than their colleague who just got laid off. He will find another baseball opportunity and then he will get on with the rest of his professional life in whatever calling it might be. Baseball careers are not the sum total of a man's life.

That's it guys, grannie has spoken. From now on it's sunshine and bubbles! No more hard or in-depth discussion of players talent levels etc.

The man played in West Michigan for TWO YEARS for crying out loud! Stop picking on him! (even though he'll never read a single word of this thread).
    VT Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    That's it guys, grannie has spoken. From now on it's sunshine and bubbles! No more hard or in-depth discussion of players talent levels etc.

The man played in West Michigan for TWO YEARS for crying out loud! Stop picking on him! (even though he'll never read a single word of this thread).
    Biff, you should run for office with that level of political dexterity and tact.

Biff, you should run for office with that level of political dexterity and tact.
    Yah, sorry, I was a little irritated after a trip to Menards. I purposely waited until 9 am to avoid the idiots but sure enough there was that one guy who said to himself "Ya know what, I'm stupid, so therefore I should stand in the middle of a crowded aisle with my cart blocking everyone while doing nothing".
    VT Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Yah, sorry, I was a little irritated after a trip to Menards. I purposely waited until 9 am to avoid the idiots but sure enough there was that one guy who said to himself "Ya know what, I'm stupid, so therefore I should stand in the middle of a crowded aisle with my cart blocking everyone while doing nothing".
    It could have been like this if you had a gun.

I think fans have ripped Raburn too much at times, but I think this particular thread has been pretty fair and balanced.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

grandma g is offline MotownSports Fan

Ryan came to West Michigan the last 6 weeks of the 02 season & only was here the first 3 weeks of the 03 season before his promo to Lakeland...guess every can have their opinions but to keep dragging it on & on.. gets old really fast when there is so much good to talk about...like Is DD going after some Pitching?
    [SIZE="2"]West Michigan Whitecaps:
    Midwest League Champs '07, '06, '04, '98 '96

We've lost some WM fans on this forum and quite a few will not come here because of the criticism they read. I can't imagine having a player live with us for a season and then read about him in a negative light. I'm sure I would blow my stack at the poster whether he/she was justified in the post or not. You get very close to the players, they become your kids. So please, GrandmaG is one we have not ostracized. Sure she goes overboard at times. I say this and consider her a friend and know she still means well. But enough about her. This is a Raburn thread. I also think something happened to collapse the Leyland love for him and wonder. I'll miss his annual friendly early arrival at JMS.

VT

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

To be fair roger, she brings it on herself. People are here to discuss the team and it's player and it doesn't really matter if they're nice people or not. She should know before she even opens the thread.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

It certainly is not the player's fault when a non-performer is given enough playing time to drive the fanbase crazy with rage

But on the other hand, when was the last a bad player took himself off a roster? It's pretty universal that they prefer to take the abuse along with the money and the PT rather than walk away!
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    To be fair roger, she brings it on herself. People are here to discuss the team and it's player and it doesn't really matter if they're nice people or not. She should know before she even opens the thread.
    Yes, and I think she also realizes it over the years, but she will continue to defend her Whitecaps regardless. Some of the tidbits I learn and post originate with her. I'm sure she would be much more popular if she would post those rather than I. I feel lucky to have met so many of the WM fans and host families. Off my horse now.

VT

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    We've lost some WM fans on this forum and quite a few will not come here because of the criticism they read. I can't imagine having a player live with us for a season and then read about him in a negative light. I'm sure I would blow my stack at the poster whether he/she was justified in the post or not. You get very close to the players, they become your kids. So please, GrandmaG is one we have not ostracized. Sure she goes overboard at times. I say this and consider her a friend and know she still means well. But enough about her. This is a Raburn thread. I also think something happened to collapse the Leyland love for him and wonder. I'll miss his annual friendly early arrival at JMS.
    Huey, she is the one who changed the thread into another direction. This is a message board, and players get criticized. Raburn was a good player for most of his time here but was absolutely horrible this year. He's gone. That's just how it is. If someone doesn't want to read criticism about a player, I'd suggest not reading the thread announcing his release after his .450 OPS or whatever in 2012.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

People experience the Detroit Tigers in a lot of different ways. I doubt my fandom will ever evolve to the point where I'll invite the baby Tigers into my home. Good on her for that. I also recognize that rumor mongering about a guy who is actively seeking a job is a bad thing for the dude who is looking. However, I'd have to think the word is out and he's going to get whatever camp invite he gets based on a team's needs and the potential he can offer with a fresh Brandon Inge-like start. He's an absolute monster in MLB 2k...which I'm sure will excite any GM who bases his scouting exclusively on his xbox gameplay...(kidding).

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

He's really good in The Show too.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

potthole is offline MotownSports Fan

Ryan came to West Michigan the last 6 weeks of the 02 season & only was here the first 3 weeks of the 03 season before his promo to Lakeland...guess every can have their opinions but to keep dragging it on & on.. gets old really fast when there is so much good to talk about...like Is DD going after some Pitching?
    I don't think anything has been drug "on and on" in this thread. People seem to be having a relatively reasonable discussion, considering this is a fan message board and all.

Think you need to maybe take a step back from your closeness with players and realize 99% of the people on here are strictly fans, and don't have that personal connection you have with some people in the organization.
    2014 AAT: Jeff Jones

*ESTREPE1*
    VT

RJBBREZ is offline MotownSports Fan

It's a thread about Ryan Raburn, pretty easy to see why people are discussing him. And if it bothers you to read it, I'd suggest not opening the thread. Seems simple to me grandma g.

Blog Entries

Anybody have insight on the ugliness that happened toward the end with Ryan? I don't want to stir up dirty laundry but at the same time I'm curious as to his not being around that final month. Besides his bad stats it seemed like there were some issues. [edit: I might be thinking of Boesch here...Raburn always seemed like he was a good soldier]
    IIRC, he injured something (groin? I don't remember) while on rehab for a different injury. I mean, the Tigers invented an injury to get rid of him obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post
    He's really good in The Show too.
    Not as good as Bryan Raboesch, though.

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

I let Barbaro Garbey live with me for a week. House was trashed and the dog got pregnant.
    Never again.
    AAT Joe Nathan
    Tigers-Cardinals 2014 WS. Book it.

I had a serial killer stay at my house for a week back in 1987.
    VT Twitter

didn't like Captain Crunch?

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    .....and the dog got pregnant.
    .....because he let the neighbor's dog in for a congujal visit.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

I notice that the very first member listed on the MTS roster is #1BarbaroGarbeyfan...not many posts.

Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    IIRC, he injured something (groin? I don't remember) while on rehab for a different injury. I mean, the Tigers invented an injury to get rid of him obviously.
    Right, if they wanted to make up an injury, why didn't they just stick with the original injury?
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Right, if they wanted to make up an injury, why didn't they just stick with the original injury?
    Yeah. Making up a second injury is a bit unnecessary.

I also seem to remember Raburn's second injury being mentioned by the MudHens broadcaster as an explanation why he wasn't playing during his rehab stint. I have a hard time believing the Tigers organization would go to all that trouble to lie about Raburn's injuries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12