davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Default MLB Network - Seasons : 1984

Showing tonight at 9:00pm on the MLB Network.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Sweet, thanks for the heads-up!
    VT Twitter

2014 AAT: Shannon Hogan

Make the world a better place: punch Dustin Pedroia in the face.

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

thanks! That was a fun show to watch.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Thanks. It brought back a lot of memories. I also thought as I was watching it that 1984 was 28 years ago. So, a 21 year old watching the 2012 Tigers probably viewed 1984 similarly to how I viewed 1956 which makes me feel old.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Thanks. It brought back a lot of memories. I also thought as I was watching it that 1984 was 28 years ago. So, a 21 year old watching the 2012 Tigers probably viewed 1984 similarly to how I viewed 1956 which makes me feel old.
    Did you note the Willie stats at the end? 140IP? That's nearly a starter today. That piqued my interest so I went and looked up Aurelio and he threw 137 innings. Can you imagine what nearly 280 solid innings out of a bullpen would be worth today? You could certainly shorten your pitching staff and carry 1 more position player if you chose to.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

yup, that's back when relievers were real men!
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Its re-airing Tuesday for those that missed it.
    VT Twitter

2014 AAT: Shannon Hogan

Make the world a better place: punch Dustin Pedroia in the face.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Thanks for making me feeling older than I all ready do!

DET Mr Malefic is offline MotownSports Fan

I was alive in 1984 but it is outside of my memory, I'm not old enough to remember it. What I liked most about it was that it gave me a feel for what it was like to live through that season. I've probably seen the clip of Gibson hitting that World Series home run and Sparky saying "HE DON'T WANNA WALK YA!" about 30,000,000 times in my life, but that's the first time in my entire life I'd ever seen footage from the ALCS that year, for example. I've read box scores, but actually seeing the footage with narration gave me a feel for how Kansas City coming back in Game 2 could've been worrisome after the team had done so well all year and won Game 1. And how relieving it must have been when the Tigers won in extra innings.

Also, the non-Tigers stuff too. I assume the Cubs curse stuff hadn't garnered as much steam then as it does now? By virtue of their playoff appearance that year the Cubs got a fairly large part of the documentary and yet there was zero mention --- Either by the narrator or by various announcers in the footage that they showed --- Of the fact that they were trying to get to their first World Series in almost 40 years and win their first title in a little over 75. I found that interesting. If the Cubs are within 3 games of first place at any point in September these days that is ALL YOU WILL HEAR ABOUT until they are mathematically eliminated from winning the National League pennant. Seeing young Davey Johnson was cool, and they gave decent time talking about the beginning of some of the late 80s up-and-coming teams that I'm familiar with from my beginnings as a baseball fan. Like the old Angels with Rod Carew and Reggie Jackson (fun fact that might make some feel old even though lots of times things happen now that make me feel old: To me, Reggie Jackson is an Angel. While intellectually I realize that he's famous for being a Yankee mostly and an Athletic a little bit, I most closely associate him with the Angels, which is who he played for in most of my memory).

I have seen most of these Baseball Seasons documentaries and all of them are really good, but I liked this one even better than usual.
    Tigers record when in attendance: 2012: 3-2 W1 Home: 1-2, Away 2-0

Tigers record when in attendance: 2011: 6-7 L5 Home: 4-5, Away 2-1, Playoffs Home: 0-1

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I set it up to record on Tuesday. I watched the 1990 version. I wish MLB would show some games from that era. I wish they would show more games period.

For some reason I have no memory of the Red Sox clinching the division the way they did. It was fun to watch that particular episode because that was right when I met my wife so when they show some particular highlights after September it makes me think of those times.

DET Mr Malefic is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I set it up to record on Tuesday. I watched the 1990 version. I wish MLB would show some games from that era. I wish they would show more games period.
    I DVR'd 1990, which came on either immediately before or immediately after the 1984 one. I haven't watched it yet because now I'm watching the Dust Bowl documentary that aired on PBS last night, but I expect it to be cool. 1990 is a season that I *do* actually remember, though obviously not in great detail anymore. One of the cool things in these documentaries even in years that I lived through is that they bring back little details that I'd forgotten.
    Tigers record when in attendance: 2012: 3-2 W1 Home: 1-2, Away 2-0

Tigers record when in attendance: 2011: 6-7 L5 Home: 4-5, Away 2-1, Playoffs Home: 0-1

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Yup, I was 24 years old in '84. Time is really weird because it doesn't seem that long ago to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Thanks for the heads up....I missed it.
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    Did you note the Willie stats at the end? 140IP? That's nearly a starter today. That piqued my interest so I went and looked up Aurelio and he threw 137 innings. Can you imagine what nearly 280 solid innings out of a bullpen would be worth today? You could certainly shorten your pitching staff and carry 1 more position player if you chose to.
    And they didn't just come in at the start of an inning. Check out some of their game logs and the situations they were put in the game.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Thanks for the head's up. I did miss it.
    Get the DVR going.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown