Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default Building the 2013 Tigers Roster

Sure long way to go, but thought it might be handy to track the progress and evaluate strengths and weaknesses the Tigers might still look to address this winter.

SP:
    Verlander
    Scherzer
    Sanchez
    Fister
    Porcello (or Smyly)

RP (safe):
    Benoit
    Coke
    Alburquerque
    Dotel

RP opening (3?): Rondon, Villarreal, Below, Marte, Downs, Crosby, or Putkonen

Catchers:
    Avila
    Pena

DH: Victor Martinez

Infield and Outfield Starters:
    Fielder
    Infante
    Peralta
    Cabrera
    Hunter
    Jackson
    Dirks

Rest of Bench (3): Worth? Berry? Santiago? Kelly? Kobernus?
    Last edited by DaYooperASBDT; 03-13-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Blog Entries

Also, I see that I still can't freaking type .......
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Unless there are some trades or FA signings, I could see Boesch making the team. Or Berry.
    Santiago is a lock, maybe even Worth. Garcia needs seasoning. Raburn? I don't see it.
    I would like to see a back-up catcher with more MLB experience signed.
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Boesch (unless he simply outplays Dirks and others to reclaim RF) is likely headed for AAA this year, the guy needs playing time and AB's so rewarding Boesch with a bench role I think would be counter productive.

Bruce Rondon! Don't forget about him, in the bullpen.

Don't be shocked if V-Mart catches a few games too this year (He will not be THE backup catcher, more like backup to the back up catcher, but Leyland may give him some time in the field too..)

I also think the Tigers will bottom feed for a back up catcher. Holaday will cost the Tihers $500K to put on the MLB roster, a decent backup might run only an additional $300K to $500K so if I was Holaday I wouldn't be getting fitted for a Tigers jersey just yet. He's lefthanded and he'll want too much money (READ: Not going to happen) but it would be a hoot to sign A.J. Pierzynski just to get the White Sox's fans all in a lather...

I can't even begin to guess what Raburn and Worth will be doing at the beginning of this year. I think Raburn is out of options so he's either on big club or likely he'll be playing for someone else this year. I guess one reason to keep Raburn around might be as a RH outfielder to platoon with Dirks (other than that I'm out of guesses, if Raburn's playing 2B, something either went very wrong on the depth chart and/or Leyland needs to be drug tested). Does anyone even know if Worth has any minor league options left?!?
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger69 View Post
    I think Boesch (unless he simply outplays Dirks and others to reclaim RF) is likely headed for AAA this year, the guy needs playing time and AB's so rewarding Boesch with a bench role I think would be counter productive.

Don't be shocked if V-Mart catches a few games too this year (He will not be THE backup catcher, more like backup to the back up catcher, but Leyland may give him some time in the field too..)

I also think the Tigers will bottom feed for a back up catcher. Holaday will cost the Tihers $500K to put on the MLB roster, a decent backup might run only an additional $300K to $500K so if I was Holaday I wouldn't be getting fitted for a Tigers jersey just yet. He's lefthanded and he'll want too much money (READ: Not going to happen) but it would be a hoot to sign A.J. Pierzynski just to get the White Sox's fans all in a lather...

I can't even begin to guess what Raburn and Worth will be doing at the beginning of this year. I think Raburn is out of options so he's either on big club or likely he'll be playing for someone else this year. I guess one reason to keep Raburn around might be as a RH outfielder to platoon with Dirks (other than that I'm out of guesses, if Raburn's playing 2B, something either went very wrong on the depth chart and/or Leyland needs to be drug tested). Does anyone even know if Worth has any minor league options left?!?
    Raburn is arb eligable. He could be non-tendered then brought back.

Danny Worth has 1 option left.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    Raburn is arb eligable. He could be non-tendered then brought back.

Danny Worth has 1 option left.
    Thank you!
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Raburn's numbers have gone backward for 3 straight years, and his defense has been pretty horrible.
    I'd take Justin Henry over him at this point, because power is negated by complete lack of contact.

Also, we have a DH already.
    VT

Blog Entries

I love me some Ramon Santiago, but he looked just horrible at shortstop last year, and only hit .206
    Worth is a better hitter (slightly), runner, and fielder now.
    Last edited by DaYooperASBDT; 11-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    VT

Walt is offline MotownSports Fan

What is Berry's situation. Is he still in his arbitration years?
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't think there's any chance that Smyly is moved to the BP. If we do re-sign Anibal and hold on to Porcello, Smyly starts for Toledo.

That leaves an extra RP opening. By the way DD has been talking this offseason, barring a bad spring, it sounds like Rondon is a lock for at least some role in the BP to start the year. Assuming no trades or FA BP arms, I think the last spot will be a lefty, either Downs or Schlereth or Below.

As far as the bench, I think there is a good chance, based on DD's recent comments, that they bring in a RH bat to play with Dirks. That's one spot. I also think Worth has a better shot of making the team next year than Santiago. That's two. I think the 3rd spot comes down to Berry or Santiago.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    What is Berry's situation. Is he still in his arbitration years?
    He was a rookie, he's the Tigers property for 5 more years if they desire.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    But he still has to be on the 40 man roster, or pass through waivers, right?
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

But he still has to be on the 40 man roster, or pass through waivers, right?
    That's anybody that's on a 40 man roster.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Ć

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    Oh, goodie.

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    That's anybody that's on a 40 man roster.
    Yeah, that was a dumb question on my part. Does he have options left, or does he have to be on the ML roster to keep him around.

Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I'm of the belief that it is Smyly over Porcello at this point. Smyly certainly has more upside. If they do sign another Starter (Sanchez?) then they need to trade Porcello or move him to the pen.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Yeah, that was a dumb question on my part. Does he have options left, or does he have to be on the ML roster to keep him around.
    From Eddies sheet it appears he has 2 option years.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Ć

Blog Entries

There's only room for one of Santiago or Worth - and I'm pretty confident that Berry will stick. He will be one of the
    best pinch runners in MLB history, and will be fine as a fourth or fifth OF. Agreed with above poster that the Tigers could
    use a right handed outfielder (since Jeff Baker and Ryan Raburn failed to cut the mustard).

The key with Berry will be to minimize his at bats. If an outfielder gets injured, I would bring up either Garcia or Castellanos to fill in.
    VT

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Santiago gets DFA......

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Santiago is owed $2 million and will almost surely be a Tiger on opening day. I also believe he'll do better this year after playing winter ball (which he missed last year for the first time).
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    There's only room for one of Santiago or Worth - and I'm pretty confident that Berry will stick. He will be one of the
    best pinch runners in MLB history, and will be fine as a fourth or fifth OF
    . Agreed with above poster that the Tigers could
    use a right handed outfielder (since Jeff Baker and Ryan Raburn failed to cut the mustard).

The key with Berry will be to minimize his at bats. If an outfielder gets injured, I would bring up either Garcia or Castellanos to fill in.
    Yikes... no thank you.
    Facebook

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yikes... no thank you.
    I think he meant to say 6th outfielder
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

Blog Entries

Welp, I see Berry is ahead of Raburn on the depth chart at least.
    VT

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger69 View Post

I've heard Rondon has some control issues, I never looked at his numbers, just something I've read.
    I also read, in today's Free Press, that Boesch may be trade bait. I think this is a much better idea than sticking him down in Toledo.
    We need a couple of hitters who can come in to pinch-hit with some pop.

While it's possible VMart could catch, I don't see it. I think we would see him at 1st base, if Leyland wanted to give Prince some rest.

The Tigers need to figure out their SP. Let Sanchez go and use Smyly as the #5 SP? Or sign Sanchez and maybe trade Porcello?
    Package Porcello and Boesch together for a RH hitter and a RP? I would rather keep Rick, he does give you many innings and I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet. Giving up on him too soon could be a minicee. And it is nich to have a Boesch on the bench for a PH role.

Garcia needs seasoning. I would send him down to Toledo to play every day in LF. He very well may be our LF of the future, no offense to the Dirks fans (which I am one of).
    Berry makes a nice addition to the bench as a pinch runner. There's something to be said about a runner coming in and everyone in the stadium knowing he's going to steal and he still makes it safe. And while he doesn't have the best OF instincts, his speed more than makes up for his sometime poor reads.

Anyway, the Tigers seem to be in good shape. My two biggest concerns are IF defense and a closer. Building a BP is more than just throwing money at it. It seems like luck most of the time. I guess this is where the scouting department comes in. We need to sign 2 or 3 RP who will be lights out. Finding them is the problem, not the money.

With December fast approaching, I'm already itching for more baseball. Maybe it's baseball fever? If so, I'm in critical condition!
    2014 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2013 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2012 AAT: Brennan Smith
    2010 AAT: Armando Galarraga

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Line Up:
    Jackson
    Hunter
    Cabrera
    Fielder
    Martinez
    Peralta
    Avila
    Dirks/Garcia
    Infante

SP:
    Verlander
    Fister
    Scherzer
    Sanchez
    Smyly

RP:
    Benoit
    Coke
    Alburquerque
    Dotel
    Villarreal
    Rondon

Bench:
    Worth
    Berry
    Garcia/Dirks
    Pena
    Player received in Porcello trade

If the bullpen can play to most of it's potential, may be one of the best in the league!

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    Line Up:
    Kobernus and Lobstein.

You have to carry the rule 5 guys or toss them back, so they get every chance to make the roster.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Blog Entries

So far, neither Lobstein or Below have looked very good this spring.

If we assume there are still three relief openings (12 pitchers), and that either Porcello or Smyly start at Toledo,
    then that appears to set up a competition between Downs, Villarreal, Marte, and Rondon for three spots.

I would guess that Marte and Porcello will not be going to Detroit, but your guess is better than mine.

Bench competition is still interesting. Worth is hitting well this Spring, but Santiago is certainly still in the running.
    Don Kelly still hanging around and may bump Kobernus. Brayan Pena is likely your backup catcher. Boesch has
    an solid chance of beating out Berry, because Berry is, well Berry. Can we move Boesch to catcher? :-D
    Last edited by DaYooperASBDT; 03-12-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    VT

mmwatkin is offline MotownSports Fan

If both Porcello and Smyly finish the spring strong, I don't see how you give the spot to Smyly. Put him in Toledo and have him ready should Porcello falter

I'll take a stab at the 2013 opening day roster;

5th Starter: Rick Porcello with Smyly to AAA to to emergency sport starts and in case of injury.

Closer: Al Alburquerque, there is still time for Rondon to come on strong in spring training and take the closers roll- But my hunch is if Rondon's not ready to close, the Tigers have enough good bullpen arms at the ML level to have Rondon work things out as a closer at AAA for 2013 rather than try and pitch situationally as a bullpen arm at the ML level. For now, Al-Al is my closer but things can still change.

Bench: Santiago, Kelly, Kobernus. This is sort of tough, Kobernus is a rule 5 so I can see the Tigers wanting to hang on to him and keeping Worth at AAA. If Infante and Peralta leave the 2014 Tigers infield could be Worth at SS and Kobernus at 2B just in case. A healthy Santiago is a lock and to me it comes down to Kelly vs. Berry. Part of this for me is that the Tigers are still free to call up Berry as needed and Boesch can still try and work things out in AAA. I sort of doubt Dirks can go a whole season without at least 2-4 weeks on the DL, so being able to call up a hot Boesch from AAA late in the season might not be a bad thing to roll the dice on by keeping Boesch in the Tigers organization for now. Also the Tigers are free to cut Don Kelly later in the season if he's unable to keep earning his pay at the ML level and bring up someone better if needed.

Bullpen: Villarreal and Downs to me are locks. Coke cannot be a situational lefty every day and Downs give the Tigers a plan B vs. LH batters for the days Coke may be unavailable or when Coke has already pitched and left the game. To me the last spot would be a long relief role, someone who if Fister has back spasms in warm ups before a game started the Tigers will hand the ball too and say "give us 4-5 innings if you can" and this is a tougher call to me right now. In the past it was a no brainer to just pencil in Duane Below to that spot but he's pitching like he wants to be in AAA so far in spring training. This would normally mean that there would be an opening for another young starting type pitcher to perhaps unseat Below from the ML roster but both Lobstein and Putkonen really haven't done much so far in spring traning to show that they are ready to suceed where Below will not.

So for me the bullpen quandry is do you take a long reliever just in case (ok, he'll be a sucky long reliever, but he'll be able to go 4-5 innings in an emergency) OR do you go with an extra bullpen arm who has pitched much better in spring training with the knowledge that if a starter gets scratched from a start last minute, the bullepn is in for a long day.

My call right now is the Tigers would take Marte instead of Below, Lobstein or Putkonen for the last roster spot but I could see if Lobstein, Below or Putkonen put together much better numbers here at the end of spring training things could change dramatically in one of their favors. But if all three still suck at the end of spring training, Marte could be the guy.

TWolve is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mmwatkin View Post
    If both Porcello and Smyly finish the spring strong, I don't see how you give the spot to Smyly. Put him in Toledo and have him ready should Porcello falter
    I was thinking about the six starting pitcher problem and looked up Smyly's innings pitched last year. Minor and major league totals combined came to 121 IP. If he were to go into the starting rotation from the start, he would hit a innings pitched limit in September. This is because I doubt they would want him to throw more than 160 - 165 IP, to protect his arm.

However, if he would start out as the long-man in the bullpen, that would limit his innings early in the year. Then later he could go into the starting rotation when someone goes down. Because they would limit his IP early, he likely would have plenty of innings to use in September.

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Chris Iott ‏@Chris_Iott

The Tigers have released Brennan Boesch. #Tigers
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Blog Entries

Dang... didn't see that happening already. There has to be a backstory here, right? Other than the fact that he sucks.
    Facebook

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    Chris Iott ‏@Chris_Iott

The Tigers have released Brennan Boesch. #Tigers
    Looks like they cleared a roster spot for Kelly!
    Last edited by tiger337; 03-13-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Dang... didn't see that happening already. There has to be a backstory here, right? Other than the fact that he sucks.
    Someone posted the dates contracts are guaranteed and the last date you could cut and be on the hook for the least amount was March 15, so I think that is why they cut him this week.
    Micah 7:7

Blog Entries

Ah, that makes sense.
    Facebook

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

No Inge, No Boesch.... who are the fat white chicks going to root for now?

JayVee is offline MotownSports Fan

It seems strange they couldn't have gotten a couple used bats for him in a trade...

Dagnabit. I'm sorry to see him go.

2014 AAT -- #8 Wally Joyner -- Hitting Coach Extraordinaire
    Μολὼν λαβέ -- SONJE HAITI

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

I think I will go home for the rest of the day... not sure I can handle the incoming onslaught of "OMG! Why did they cut Boesch!!!??!??" questions coming my way from the office.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    No Inge, No Boesch.... who are the fat white chicks going to root for now?
    Jeff Kobernus

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    It seems strange they couldn't have gotten a couple used bats for him in a trade...
    I think he simply has no trade value, especially given his $2M contract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast