Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    I don't have anything to add to the conversation but this - I'm really shocked that this thread isn't at least 350-something posts by now instead of just 150-something. Maybe my memory is off, but it seemed in the past much less player movements had way more posts than this one.

I'll have to check it out later.

We're all becoming spoiled fans......like the....dare I say it? Yankee's fans.

lol, I think it got as little fanfare because it really was expected. What that says about us is open to discussion.

I'm excited about it, just not shocked or giddy. If they traded for Stanton or Tulowitzski I'd be giddy.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Here are some of the big ones of the past. I'm sure I missed a lot of them, but this is a decent taste of some of the past player move threads here. I didn't quickly notice any Cabrera ones, but if I did a search on his name something may have come up.

I think a lot of it with Hunter has to do with what JB said, it's not an overly controversial selection. But while Hunter is a quality player and has been, he's not the glamor name like Prince Fielder making $100+ million with a contract that lasts my lifetime. That has some to do with it as well I'm guessing.

Delmon Young - 1,559 posts
    Tigers Acquire Delmon Young

Fielder - 1,477 posts
    Tigers sign Prince Fielder to 9 year deal!!!!!!!!

Jackson for Joyce - 1,119 posts
    Matt Joyce traded to Rays for Edwin Jackson

Victor Martinez - 778 posts
    Confirmed: Detroit Tigers agree to sign Victor Martinez

Jurrjens - 679 posts
    Tigers trade Jurrjens, Hernandez for Renteria

Infante and Sanchez - 555 posts
    http://www.motownsports.com/forums/d...ley-flynn.html

Pudge traded -537 posts
    Pudge traded

Cody Ross - 531 posts
    Tigers Trade Ross to LA for Coyler

Gary Sheffield - 518 posts
    Sheffield is a Tiger
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

lordstanley is offline MotownSports Fan

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

shocking
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Here are some of the big ones of the past. I'm sure I missed a lot of them, but this is a decent taste of some of the past player move threads here. I didn't quickly notice any Cabrera ones, but if I did a search on his name something may have come up.

I think a lot of it with Hunter has to do with what JB said, it's not an overly controversial selection. But mix a little while Hunter is a quality player and has been, he's not the glamour name like Prince Fielder making $100+ million with a contract that lasts my lifetime.

Delmon Young - 1,559 posts
    Tigers Acquire Delmon Young

Fielder - 1,477 posts
    Tigers sign Prince Fielder to 9 year deal!!!!!!!!

Jackson for Joyce - 1,119 posts
    Matt Joyce traded to Rays for Edwin Jackson

Victor Martinez - 778 posts
    Confirmed: Detroit Tigers agree to sign Victor Martinez

Jurrjens - 679 posts
    Tigers trade Jurrjens, Hernandez for Renteria

Infante and Sanchez - 555 posts
    http://www.motownsports.com/forums/d...ley-flynn.html

Pudge traded -537 posts
    Pudge traded

Cody Ross - 531 posts

Gary Sheffield - 518 posts
    Sheffield is a Tiger
    Well done.

Kind of proves my point. No one has been as hated as Elmon on this board recently and that trade got the most talk...second is the Fielder signing and a lot of people hated the '9 years' portion of the deal, but for the most part I think people liked that deal, but the added length of the contract got peoples hair up.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    Drew Sharp does not like anything.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

apabruce is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens
    Prince Fielder making $100+ million with a contract that lasts my lifetime.
    I am concerned. What are you telling us [or not] about your life span?
    Bruce

Mammals suck.

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

That's further confirmation that it's a good move.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Quote Originally Posted by apabruce View Post
    Just exaggerating, but you never know I guess.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

All I can say, is be careful what you speak, or type. Words are very powerful.
    Micah 7:7

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

I am still mourning that WS embarrassment.
    That's why I can't get too excited about anything going on with the Tigers right now.
    "I'm disabled"

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    The one thing that doesn't explain is the increase in strikeouts. Wouldn't a shortened swing result in fewer strikeouts?
    True, but it wasn't necessarily just a change in his swing. It was also a change in his approach at the plate as his swing % rose to over 50% after hovering in the 45% range the 3 previous years. It's also been mentioned that he swung more frequently earlier in the count. What is interesting is that over the course of his career, his swing % in 2009-2011 were outliers whereas in his time with the Twins he consistently swung over 50%. So, he sort of reverted back to what he had done in his earlier days; but perhaps with more of a focus on hitting ground balls due to his decrease in power. I imagine the increase in strikeouts is both related to being more aggressive outside the strike zone and just an overall decline in ability that he has to cope with.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm hoping hitting at Comerica will make him a better hitter. And our OF defense next year will be quite good, with Dirks in LF full time.
    I bet Leyland has been tinkering around with a line-up for the last couple of days.

We can't expect VMart to come in and hit like he did in 2011. A year off, at his age, will cause his timing to be off for several weeks. I wonder if he's healthy enough to play winter ball?
    That would help him regain his timing.

I really don't buy into all this talk of sticking Hunter into the 2 hole. Leyland likes to go RH-LH throughout the line-up. Bat Dirks 2nd, Hunter 5th and VMart 6th (until he proves he has his timing back). Once VMart is totally healthy, does anyone thing he would be a good #2 hitter?

Jackson
    Dirks
    MVP
    Fielder
    Hunter
    Martinez
    Peralta
    Avila
    Infante

Against LH SP, maybe switch Omar and Dirks?

Anyway you look at it, this line-up could be a very, very potent run scoring threat. No more of Inge, Raburn, Boesch and Young. Those guys were total rally killers. The only thing that worries me is hitting into double plays.

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sports_Freak View Post
    I'm hoping hitting at Comerica will make him a better hitter
    If Hunter gets a ring here, we know someone who will be pulling his hair out. Hehe.
    "I'm disabled"

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Cody Ross - 531 posts
    epic thread.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe this has already been posted, but saw some interesting numbers about how horrid our RF defense was last year and how Hunter should really help.

Tigers were 2nd worst at RF in 2012 with -17 Defensive Runs Saved.
    Hunter was third at RF with 15 defensive runs saved.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    Maybe this has already been posted, but saw some interesting numbers about how horrid our RF defense was last year and how Hunter should really help.

Tigers were 2nd worst at RF in 2012 with -17 Defensive Runs Saved.
    Hunter was third at RF with 15 defensive runs saved.
    Everyone keeps saying RF. Have they announced that?... because I just assumed he would play LF and the more appropriate stat to compare would be Dirks over what our RF'ers did last year because I am guessing Dirks would slide over to RF as long as Torii and Dirks were comparable in terms of DRS.

slim pickens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    Everyone keeps saying RF. Have they announced that?... because I just assumed he would play LF and the more appropriate stat to compare would be Dirks over what our RF'ers did last year because I am guessing Dirks would slide over to RF as long as Torii and Dirks were comparable in terms of DRS.
    read one of the 100 stories, and it said Dombrowski told him he will play RF.
    1.21 gigawatts?!.......

VT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    read one of the 100 stories, and it said Dombrowski told him he will play RF.
    I have not read anything on it which is why I was asking. I would rather talk about here than read some 'expert' source on some random site....even if that random site is ESPN or MLB. Thanks.

slim pickens is offline MotownSports Fan

I have not read anything on it which is why I was asking. I would rather talk about here than read some 'expert' source on some random site....even if that random site is ESPN or MLB. Thanks.
    that was meant as "I read"......not "you read".....
    1.21 gigawatts?!.......

VT

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Doesn't Hunter throw pretty well? Dirk's arm is nothing to get excited about, so I would have thought Hunter in RF as well. Now maybe if Garcia wins a spot, his speed and arm would be such that you would put him in RF ahead of Hunter, but I don't really see it in the Dirks/Hunter comp.
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by apabruce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    interesting response, 4hzglory. What do you mean by this?

lordstanley is offline MotownSports Fan

After Verlander won last year, I predicted that no Tiger after that would win the AL MVP in Dtroppens' lifetime.

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Doesn't Hunter throw pretty well? Dirk's arm is nothing to get excited about, so I would have thought Hunter in RF as well. Now maybe if Garcia wins a spot, his speed and arm would be such that you would put him in RF ahead of Hunter, but I don't really see it in the Dirks/Hunter comp.
    Yes, Hunter has the better arm. Not sure who has the better range, Hunter or Dirks, but I also ready DD say he would be the RF, and the arm is probably a big reason.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

What the heck does this mean? Like Karma?

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    Yes, Hunter has the better arm. Not sure who has the better range, Hunter or Dirks, but I also ready DD say he would be the RF, and the arm is probably a big reason.
    As soon as I heard that Hunter was in Detroit, my mind went immediately to him playing RF and subbing at CF if Leyland gives Jackson a day off.
    On my head there is a battleground. The peaceful indigenous peppers are being invaded by the cruel and aggressive salts who have sought to commit genocide on the peppers. The peppers have managed to starve off the salts to the north which has unfortunately resulted in some uninhabitable areas in the backwoods area. The salts now claim ownership to the temple and beard regions. VT

RandyMarsh is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    I seriously don't think I've ever hated a columnist more than Drew Sharp. Can he ever write anything good about a Detroit team? Everybody else is excited about this and he's got to go rain on everybody's parade per usual. I can almost guarantee if the Tigers would've traded for Upton, he would've found a negative spin on that too. Probably something along the lines of "enjoy the next couple years because the Tigers traded their lone potential prospects for (insert Upton's disappointing stats this year) so they won't have any cheap talent coming through the pipleline to offset potential raises for other players." I swear he is the worst.

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    +1 lol, that's great!!!!!!!!
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

JBK's point is correct. There's not a lot of controversy behind this move.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

I believe they are going to officially announce the signing tomorrow, so we'll know more then. I'm assuming he'll play RF because he has more experience there and also has a great arm.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    There is power in words. Blessings and curses flow come from the lips.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

There is power in words. Blessings and curses flow come from the lips.
    I suppose there is power in the sense that it represents the thoughts and character of a person, but I don't think it goes any further than that.

I suppose there is power in the sense that it represents the thoughts and character of a person, but I don't think it goes any further than that.
    I don't want to change this thread, didn't mean to do that, but will just say that I have seen a whole lot more than the thoughts and character being represented. For example, there are multiple cases of medical records getting mistaken. A perfectly healthy person is told they have 6 weeks to live, a terminal cancer patient is told they are perfectly healthy. The healthy person gets sick and dies within 3-4 weeks and the terminal patient becomes healthy. When words are spoken, there is faith attached. (In the negative form, faith is fear). The level of faith varies depending on the situation. If a parent keeps calling their child stupid for making a mistake, guess what is likely to happen, the child is likely to become stupid. The same is true with self criticism. The experiments have even been done with lab rats where one batch is told how smart they are and the other how stupid they are. After a few weeks, the ones spoken negatively over can't make there way through the maze. The others have no problem. I could go on with many examples from my life, but this thread is about signing Hunter and the fact that DTroppens will have a long prosperous life.

Imminent Threat is offline MotownSports Fan

Proverbs 18:21 The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.
    AAT 11' Victor Martinez
    AAL 10' Jim Schwartz

tigerjoe is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Imminent Threat View Post
    Proverbs 18:21 The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.

Torii Hunter loves to talk!

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I just don't understand your thought process at times.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

JayVee is offline MotownSports Fan

Every time I hear about Torii Hunter, I think of this thread:

Torrii Hunter
    I believe I am going to think a lot about it over the next two years.

RIP, Brian.

2014 AAT -- #8 Wally Joyner -- Hitting Coach Extraordinaire
    Μολὼν λαβέ -- SONJE HAITI

RJBBREZ is offline MotownSports Fan

He is the worst sports writer in the business today.

It's like clockwork that a day or two after a trade, FA signing, big win, etc. for a any detroit team or university in the state, this ******* has an article being negative about it. I don't think anyone can be that stupid, so he is probably just being an antagonist. Whatever the reason, I still hate him and his articles though.

After Verlander won last year, I predicted that no Tiger after that would win the AL MVP in Dtroppens' lifetime.
    Gulp, suddenly I'm glad Verlander wasn't a legit candidate.

Verlander MVP 2011 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    If Cabrera is in the on deck circle and with Hunter at the plate, the pitcher wants to do everything he can to make sure he gets him out. There are not a lot of situations where he should ever want to walk Hunter, nor are there many situations where he'd give him something good to hit. The idea is to get him out. Sure, there might be subtle differences in limited situations as how you'd pitch to him, but it's not going to make him a dramatically better hitter.
    The idea is always to get him out, but the way you go about that is impacted by the guy in the on deck circle.

I am not saying it's going to make a dramatic difference, but to say it doesn't exist is ridiculous. You can quantify it however you'd like, but Torii Hunter is going to get more hittable pitches with Cabrera behind him than he would with Danny Worth behind him. Is there any disagreement there? I'm not saying it's going to make him a stud, but it's there. It exists. It isn't a myth.

I do agree, however, that it doesn't exist to the extent a lot of people believe it to. However, I just don't see where it comes across as "lineup protection is a myth"
    2012 AAT: Jeff Jones

2012 Record at Tigers' Games: 8-4 (8-2 in Detroit, 0-2 in Cleveland)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast