Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    irvink is online now MotownSports Fan

13 mil per is no steal, but it is not really an overpay for an in-demand free agent. It's just about right. The only player on the market that could have (likely) approximated Hunter's value for less is Melky, but I think it's pretty clear the Tigers were not interested, for obvious reasons.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I like the deal. Upgrades both the defense and the offense. This team just got a bit deeper. Now re-sign sanchez and all is good in the world.

DrWho17 is online now MotownSports Fan

The Detroit Yankees strike again. Would have rather seen them get in on the Marlins fire sale though.

slim pickens is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MC24 View Post
    Just like the Fielder signing did...
    Hunter just took Velverde and youngs salary, still have to resign Sanchez for pretty good money. Still need a closer, bull pen help, how much more you think they will spend?
    1.21 gigawatts?!.......

VT

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    because this could handcuff them from filling other needs
    Valverde, Delmon, Laird, and whatever they were still paying Inge came off the books. That's over 20m right there.

They need a (good) bench player. 2-3m
    They will need another starter assuming Sanchez is gone. ~7m
    They could use a bullpen arm. 3-5m
    Backup catcher. Could just use Holaday or go with vet. 1-3m

These are just raw estimates, but that's really only around 25m added this year with the Hunter signing, with around 22.5 coming off the books from the start of the 2012 season. It's adding 3m. This doesn't handcuff them in any way at all.
    Last edited by Vonlenska; 11-14-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Why are people worried about the money? Clearly it isn't an object for Illitch, so why should we be worried? I think he's more than proved over the last handful of years that he will pay whatever it takes to get the guys he wants.
    I agree with you, which is why I focus on the years. Two is the best we could have hoped for. Three and I would have made myself a little balder.
    If there's a God, He is laughing at us and our football team.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post
    Valverde, Delmon, Laird, and whatever they were still paying Inge came off the books. That's over 20m right there.

They need a bench player. 2-3m
    They will need another starter assuming Sanchez is gone. ~7m
    They could use a bullpen arm. 3-5m
    Backup catcher. Could just use Holaday or go with vet. 1-3m

These are just raw estimates, but that's really only around 25m added this year with the Hunter signing, with around 22.5 coming off the books from the start of the 2012 season. It's adding 3m. This doesn't handcuff them in any way at all.
    You're not accounting for all the arb raises.

Nastradamus is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    Nice deal. I'd probably bat him sixth with Dirks second, but that's just me. It doesn't really matter.
    This is what I was going to say. Everyone says he's the new 2 hitter, but he wouldn't be if it was up to me. Dirks/Infante would still be my 2 spot against righties/lefties.

Anyone who doesn't like the signing is on crack though. We clearly don't have much of a budget restriction and our OF D and O were amongst the worst in the majors last year. Hunter is a huge upgrade. He also can hit lefties which is an issue for this team(why I don't know, but that's another story). He's a great bridge to Garcia and Castellanos though. I do have to wonder if Castellanos is becoming more likely to be dealt though.

KleShreen is offline MotownSports Fan

Hunter just took Velverde and youngs salary, still have to resign Sanchez for pretty good money. Still need a closer, bull pen help, how much more you think they will spend?
    Illitch will spend whatever amount he thinks will make the Tigers a better team. Within reason, of course. He's not going to go give Hamilton 30 million a year. But I think it's silly to believe that the Tigers are on some kind of budget.
    2014 AAT: Steven "Light Tower Power" Moya
    2013 AAL: Riley Reiff;
    Record While I'm In Attendance (Career) Tigers: 8-2, Whitecaps: 17-7, GVSU Football: 68-7

Quote Originally Posted by Verlander MVP 2011 View Post
    It's only a 2 year contract. I don't really view the $$ as that big of deal, especially considering our owner's willingness to spend.
    It absolutely is not a big deal. Its not a steal either. Its a fair deal, probably a 6-8 mil overpay as someone said earlier in the thread. I do not care that we overpaid, but we did.

edit - and for those talking about other needs, I'm not sure we have any at this point. There are upgrades we can make, but there isn't really a spot where we don't have a solid player. The bench needs help, but the Hunter signing isn't going to stop you from building a bench. Sanchez would be nice, but he's an expensive luxury. The difference in wins between him and Porcello is a small one.

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

You can find bullpen help all over the place. You don't have to break the bank on those guys. How much did we spend on Alburquerque? Next to nothing I'm betting.

I think they'll spend until they're comfortable with the team they have which they might be after this. Nobody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    I agree with you, which is why I focus on the years. Two is the best we could have hoped for. Three and I would have made myself a little balder.
    Seriously, we need to make a thread about this and sticky it. I can't take people saying that we have Young,INge and Valverde's salary to play with any more. Arbitration and salary increases ate all of that up. Anything we spend is going to be a payroll increase.

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Illitch will spend whatever amount he thinks will make the Tigers a better team. Within reason, of course. He's not going to go give Hamilton 30 million a year. But I think it's silly to believe that the Tigers are on some kind of budget.
    I think the Tigers do have an idea of what budget numbers they want to come in at for 2013, but as we've seen in the past they are not idiots either. If the Tigers think they can steal a top player for a few more million than the budget will allow, Dombrowski know's Ilitch's phone number and the deal will get done.
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    You're not accounting for all the arb raises.
    point taken

eastside billee is offline MotownSports Fan

It's a lot of money. If it was my money would I have done it? Heck no. But it's not - so I'm happy with the deal. I'd rather pay
    $13 mil for Hunter than THROW AWAY the $7 mil we paid for Delmon last year + the money we spent on Inge. At lesat you get a bonafide professional who can catch the ball with the best of them.
    we only part to meet again vt BRIAN BLUHM vt

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I do have to wonder if Castellanos is becoming more likely to be dealt though.
    Why? He's 20 years old. He'll be 23 on Opening Day 2015. No reason to trade him. He's not ready for MLB yet.

Why? He's 20 years old. He'll be 23 on Opening Day 2015. No reason to trade him. He's not ready for MLB yet.
    Agree with this. Start Castellanos at Erie this spring and move him up to Toledo when he's ready. Maybe he gets a cup of coffee in late summer. He's probably not ready to start until 14.

Ideally, his 3b skills won't be completely lost so that when Victor is gone in 15, Castellanos can slide back there and Cabrera/Fielder can share 1b/DH.

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

I am very happy with this. A little too much money, not a steal but not a total overpay. But the years are exactly right. Upgrades the defense. Still puts up good offensive numbers. Good move.

benrush is offline MotownSports Fan

I have major reservations on signing a 15 million dollar fourth starter for at least five years. These are the types of deals that tend to cripple teams if they don't work out. Maybe their is a Edwin Jackson type deal in the works for a one year deal if the market dries out later in the year. On the bullpen, Tigers don't need to spend on a closer and I could live with signing someone like Farnsworth, Soria or Madison on a one year deal rather than spending 4 and 60 on Soriano.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by benrush View Post
    I have major reservations on signing a 15 million dollar fourth starter for at least five years. These are the types of deals that tend to cripple teams if they don't work out. Maybe their is a Edwin Jackson type deal in the works for a one year deal if the market dries out later in the year. On the bullpen, Tigers don't need to spend on a closer and I could live with signing someone like Farnsworth, Soria or Madison on a one year deal rather than spending 4 and 60 on Soriano.
    I agree with this. If Sanchez gets over 4 yrs $15 mil (which I think he will get 5-6 years at $14-15 mil), I'd pass and look at E. Jackson or Haren for 2-3 years in the $10-12 per range.
    Micah 7:7

Casimir is online now MotownSports Fan

Nice deal. I'd probably bat him sixth with Dirks second, but that's just me. It doesn't really matter.
    I agree with you, at least vs RHPs. Truthfully though I have not looked at Hunter's splits. I know Dirks did fine against LHPs this past season, so I wouldn't necessarily swap them around based on the pitcher. Certainly worth a look. But the addition of Hunter and the health of Martinez (fingers crossed) are so much better than the revolving corner OF black hole and Young from this past season.

That sure solidifies the lineup pretty well. Helps the defense too. Hopefully this means they are unconditionally dunzo with giving Boesch playing time. Berry can pinch run and fill in. Works out well.

It does seem slightly high on dollars but they're only under it for two years, and it's not much of an overpay.
    Boesch in Toledo to see if he can recapture his success. Same with Raburn. Actually, Toledo might shape up to be pretty decent if things line up well.

Berry,.... I don't know if there is room on the team for a PR. 13 position players, Martinez is a DH only. I suppose there is an arguement that with an OF of Hunter/Jackson/Dirks, there isn't much need for a 4th OF to get many ABs. But Berry was lightning in a bottle. A fun story while it lasted. If he can't learn how to bunt or how to draw a walk, I don't want to see him get any ABs for the Tigers this season.

This is what I was going to say. Everyone says he's the new 2 hitter, but he wouldn't be if it was up to me. Dirks/Infante would still be my 2 spot against righties/lefties.
    Argh, Infante! I completely forgot about him hitting 2nd vs LHPs, good call. I think Leyland will probably have Hunter hitting 2nd. He's the veteran guy. I could be wrong, but I think that's how the season will start out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    I agree with this. If Sanchez gets over 4 yrs $15 mil (which I think he will get 5-6 years at $14-15 mil), I'd pass and look at E. Jackson or Haren for 2-3 years in the $10-12 per range.
    That'd be something to get Edwin Jackson back for nothing but salary considering he was part of the bounty that acquired Austin Jackson and Scherzer.

Kamakzie is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe the $13 million includes his AARP enrollment fees.
    2014 AAT: Nick Castellanos | 2013 AAL: Nate Burleson
    Brian Bluhm Estrepe1 is #1
    RIP Brian Schultz beloved cousin 10/31/1971 - 12/18/2009

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy were traded for Scherzer and Schlereth. Edwin was not part of the bounty that acquired Austin Jackson. That would be Curtis Granderson.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

For two years, I love the pick up. Hard not to like it in my opinion. I would be working hard to find negatives. I don't care if his offensive production even declines during the two years, as long as he doesn't become Gary Pettis or something.

Good job Tigers.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

I didn't say we have to, but there's not going to be much of an opening for him in the next couple years and I think he'll be ready by 2014 ST at the latest. Given our win now approach and how valuable of a chip he is, I just wouldn't be surprised to see him go..

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    Argh, Infante! I completely forgot about him hitting 2nd vs LHPs, good call. I think Leyland will probably have Hunter hitting 2nd. He's the veteran guy. I could be wrong, but I think that's how the season will start out.
    Agree with this. A Dirks/Infante mix might be better at 2, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that Leyland pencils in Hunter and keeps him there all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    I agree with you, at least vs RHPs. Truthfully though I have not looked at Hunter's splits. I know Dirks did fine against LHPs this past season, so I wouldn't necessarily swap them around based on the pitcher. Certainly worth a look. But the addition of Hunter and the health of Martinez (fingers crossed) are so much better than the revolving corner OF black hole and Young from this past season.

Boesch in Toledo to see if he can recapture his success. Same with Raburn. Actually, Toledo might shape up to be pretty decent if things line up well.

Berry,.... I don't know if there is room on the team for a PR. 13 position players, Martinez is a DH only. I suppose there is an arguement that with an OF of Hunter/Jackson/Dirks, there isn't much need for a 4th OF to get many ABs. But Berry was lightning in a bottle. A fun story while it lasted. If he can't learn how to bunt or how to draw a walk, I don't want to see him get any ABs for the Tigers this season.
    With all the slow guys on the team and the fact that we don't really have to platoon anyone except maybe Dirks, I think we can afford a pinch runner on the roster. I dont know who our 4th OF is at this point anyways.

The start of what will undoubtedly be a regular on-air love affair...

Rod Allen ‏@RodAllen12
    Torii is universally loved in our game!!! Tigers signed a quality individual today. I've known him for 20 yrs now. Oh Yeah he can ball too!!

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I didn't say we have to, but there's not going to be much of an opening for him in the next couple years and I think he'll be ready by 2014 ST at the latest. Given our win now approach and how valuable of a chip he is, I just wouldn't be surprised to see him go..
    The Tigers are not the Marlins. Yes they want to win now, but also the next year, and the next year, and the next year... and so on. Why do people keep acting like the Tigers only have a small window?
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

I think the Tigers have plenty of money to spend as of now. I bet that with the Red Wings not playing and Illitch having more money to spend on the Tigers, he can go out and get a lot more than he normally could. I won't be surprised one bit if they open the bank for a few more players including their arbatration players. This is just the beginning.
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

When the Tigers finished talking with Torii Hunter, Mike Ilitch had a question.

"Where do we stand with [Anibal] Sanchez?" the Tigers owner asked his baseball decision-makers.

In other words, they still want him.

With Hunter signed, Tigers' next priority is to keep Sanchez - CBSSports.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post

Rod Allen ‏@RodAllen12
    Torii is universally loved in our game!!! Tigers signed a quality individual today. I've known him for 20 yrs now. Oh Yeah he can ball too!!
    Mario I was talking to Tori behind the batting cage this morning Mario.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The Tigers are not the Marlins. Yes they want to win now, but also the next year, and the next year, and the next year... and so on. Why do people keep acting like the Tigers only have a small window?
    I didn't say anything about a window. Just a mindset. They are clearly not afraid to deal top prospects if it helps them short term. Turner/Brantly for Sanchez being a perfect example. We didn't have to trade those guys any more than we have to trade Castellanos. It probably won't look like a great move long term, but that is not the way they think.

Blog Entries

You're highly exaggerating the Tigers willingness to trade prospects. They knew they had to get a guy like Sanchez to make the playoffs last year with the problems they with their #5 starters. They were desperate then. They aren't right now.
    Facebook

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post

Rod Allen ‏@RodAllen12
    Who didn't see this coming? Craig Monroe will be jealous.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

Come to think of it, Rod has always been effusive in his praise of Torii Hunter.

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I'm excited about hunter, but relying on porcello and smyly at 4 and 5 in the rotation is probably not ideal. If the Tigers fail to re-sign Sanchez I think they will pursue another starting pitcher.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast