Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

So much for that...

Susan Slusser ‏@susanslusser
    A major-league executive tells me he believes Stephen Drew will sign with #Athletics for one year with an additional player option for '14.

TigersSlappy is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    If the Tigers manage to sign Drew (or another SS), Oakland would then push to acquire Peralta.
    Losing Drew could mean gaining Peralta
    Maybe we could swap Peralta to them for a slick fielding backup 3B with some pop in his bat?
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

ballmich is online now MotownSports Fan

It would seem like if Drew is to fall to the Tigers, that we'd have to see the A's opt to sign Nakajima. In which case I don't know where you trade Peralta...
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    It would seem like if Drew is to fall to the Tigers, that we'd have to see the A's opt to sign Nakajima. In which case I don't know where you trade Peralta...
    Boston?
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

theroundsquare is offline MotownSports Fan

The Yankees?

Also, while I recognize that its wild and speculative, I wonder if (a) the Tigers picked up another SS, and (b) the Yankees don't find a one-year fix at 3B, they could (c) have the Yankees sign R. Soriano and then trade him to the Tigers for Peralta. The Tigers would get a closer and keep their draft pick, and the Yankees get a one-year fix at 3B as insurance against A-Rod. I think they have to presume that A-Rod is gone all year. Also, Soriano would obviously have to approve this as he couldn't otherwise be traded after re-signing in NY (I think), and it would jack up the Tigers payroll by the difference between the cost of the new SS and Soriano minus the $6 for Peralta. So maybe even this wild scenario would only be possible if Sanchez signs elsewhere.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

You don't really see sign and trades like that. I'm pretty confident there's no way it happens.

theroundsquare is offline MotownSports Fan

I am too; its just a thought.

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

can't trade a player that quickly after signing

also why wouldn't they just sign Soriano themselves
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post

There's the issue of losing a draft pick...
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

I'm sure they could sign Soriano themselves and move Peralta for something better than the draft pick would be

There's the issue of losing a draft pick...

I'm sure they could sign Soriano themselves and move Peralta for something better than the draft pick would be

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

I seriously doubt that any prospect we get for Peralta will be as good as the 21st pick in the 2013 draft.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Jack Hanrahan is getting a lot of interest. I think they'll find a place for Peralta.

I seriously doubt that any prospect we get for Peralta will be as good as the 21st pick in the 2013 draft.
    I doubt it as well. And what does trading Peralta have to do with signing Soriano. Those moves leave you without a SS. I'd much rather be without an experienced closer (though I note that this is a misnomer, as Dotel is an experienced closer).

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    Jack Hanrahan is getting a lot of interest. I think they'll find a place for Peralta.
    Maybe, maybe not. Hanahan is going to get paid peanuts, even compared to Peralta who isn't overly expensive. Maybe they are just interested in him because he doesn't cost much and wouldn't mind a platoon or back-up role.

One option off the table:

Tim Brown ‏@TBrownYahoo

Stephen Drew agrees to one-year, $9.5-million contract with Red Sox, according to @JonHeymanCBS. Pending physical.
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Alex is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    One option off the table:

Tim Brown ‏@TBrownYahoo

Stephen Drew agrees to one-year, $9.5-million contract with Red Sox, according to @JonHeymanCBS. Pending physical.
    It is starting look like more and more there could be a deal before long. Perhaps any combo of Porcello, Boesch, Peralta,...something will have to give sooner or later as the Tigs might wish to cut some payroll, get a SS (a younger one) and/or RH OF.
    Scully:
    'There's a marsh over there. The lights the driver saw may have been swamp gas...'

Mulder:
    'That happens to me when I eat Dodger dogs'

RatkoVarda is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    It is starting look like more and more there could be a deal before long. Perhaps any combo of Porcello, Boesch, Peralta,...something will have to give sooner or later as the Tigs might wish to cut some payroll, get a SS (a younger one) and/or RH OF.
    It is starting look like more and more that we are stuck with Peralta.

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

The A's still need a shortstop and are supposedly shopping for one. They also have a lot of depth in the outfield that could be used as trade bait. There could potentially be a 3 team trade that is worked out where Peralta goes to OAK, we get one of their OF's in return and Porcello is traded to another team and we get their SS. Maybe OAK also gets Boesch from us and maybe the teams also swap minor league players- a lot of those details would be worked out. But, I could see a framework for a deal if OAK actually likes Peralta (which is not a given) and if we could find another trade partner.

If Porcello is traded, though, the Tigers would either need to get starting pitching back in the deal or pick up starting pitching depth from FA and I'm not sure who is out there that would be cheap and serviceable.
    Last edited by Scottwood; 12-17-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
    If Porcello is traded, though, the Tigers would either need to get starting pitching back in the deal or pick up starting pitching depth from FA and I'm not sure who is out there that would be cheap and serviceable.
    And preferably someone who has options so you can let that person and Smyly compete for the 5th starting spot. If you get back a Brad Penny type and then are stuck with him on the 25 man while Smyly tears up Toledo, that's not the right outcome.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Actually, it sounds like the A's are signing a SS from Japan now.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

So they think they are smarter than the Twins, eh?

Elevate is offline MotownSports Fan

Seems to me like the Rangers might be the best chance at finding a SS. They have an expendable SS (Andrus) and need starting pitching.

So, what would it actually take to get Andrus? Porcello and Peralta doesn't seem to be enough. Add in Castellanos and it seems like giving up too much. But what if the Tigers then ask for Olt and throw in Garcia and maybe another prospect pitcher?

Andrus and Olt for Porcello, Peralta, Castellanos, Garcia, and ?

Seems logical to me. All-star level player at a serious sore spot, plus super insurance at DH/RF in Olt. Is this in any way realistic? Would this trade be worth bankrupting the system again? I think getting Andrus might be worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by Elevate View Post
    Seems to me like the Rangers might be the best chance at finding a SS. They have an expendable SS (Andrus) and need starting pitching.

So, what would it actually take to get Andrus? Porcello and Peralta doesn't seem to be enough. Add in Castellanos and it seems like giving up too much. But what if the Tigers then ask for Olt and throw in Garcia and maybe another prospect pitcher?

Seems logical to me. All-star level player at a serious sore spot, plus super insurance at DH/RF in Olt. Is this in any way realistic? Would this trade be worth bankrupting the system again? I think getting Andrus might be worth it...
    I saw one report that Texas would let Profar go to 2nd and try to take Kinslers job.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 12-17-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Elevate is offline MotownSports Fan

Can Kinsler play SS? hahahah

(obviously looking forward to an upgrade at SS) (but im not serious about kinsler at SS)

Quote Originally Posted by Elevate View Post

No. The Rangers would not part with Andrus for Justin Upton.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RatkoVarda View Post
    No. The Rangers would not part with Andrus for Justin Upton.
    1) Upton was coming off a bad year, and continues to go up and down from year to year (though still a good player).
    2) I'm not familiar with their roster enough to know whether they needed a corner OFer or if they need a starting pitcher.

Just because they didn't want Upton doesn't for Andrus doesn't mean that they won't trade him. You can forget about including Peralta in that deal though.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Nakajima receives a two-year deal worth $6.5MM and a club option for a third year at $5.5MM, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. The deal contains "numerous incentives and escalators," according to Slusser (Twitter links).
    Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

RobSk is offline MotownSports Fan

So one thing about these discussions that cracks me up is putting myself in Porcello's place:

Rick: "Oh rats, I'm being traded, what a bummer. Well, at least I might be going to a place with a good infield defens...WAIT!!! WHAT?? FRICKIN PERALTA IS COMING WITH ME???? NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!"
    VT
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
    - G.K. Chesterton

I'm not sure how much you realize that a first round pick in the MLB draft, even a top 5 pick, isn't anything resembling a sure thing

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Nor do prospects. You still want the best ones though.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

9.5 million for Stephen Drew? That's just stupid.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm not sure how much you realize that a first round pick in the MLB draft, even a top 5 pick, isn't anything resembling a sure thing
    Everyone realizes that, but I think that is missing the point. From a value standpoint, it is highly likely that whomever that pick becomes will be a more valuable piece than what we could get for a mediocre aging shortstop.

If you could trade draft picks, no team would trade a first round pick for jhonny.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    Everyone realizes that, but I think that is missing the point. From a value standpoint, it is highly likely that whomever that pick becomes will be a more valuable piece than what we could get for a mediocre aging shortstop.

If you could trade draft picks, no team would trade a first round pick for jhonny.
    I think you're way off on this one. It's unlikely that the pick would ever even become a regular contributor at the Major League level. I think other teams would love to make that trade.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Wow, Drew really scored. Nice job by Boras.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think you're way off on this one. It's unlikely that the pick would ever even become a regular contributor at the Major League level. I think other teams would love to make that trade.
    I think you are way off on how teams value an aging shortstop with poor range and a sub par bat.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

TStar is offline MotownSports Fan

I think the only way we could pry Andrus out of Texas is if we dangled a package around Scherzer.
    AAT: Clete Thomas ('09), Patrick Leyland ('10)

Carpe Diem!!!

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't see any way a team would trade a first round pick for Jhonny Peralta. A first round pick could be a complete bust sure, but it could also be a great player. Jhonny Peralta can only be Jhonny Peralta.
    Kobernoooooous

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

It is still pretty early in the season with lots left to go, but we had a pretty interesting thread going and I thought it might be fun to do an update so far on 5/5/2013....

Stephen Drew:

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP
    2013 30 BOS AL 18 69 59 6 11 1 2 1 9 0 0 9 19 .186 .290 .322 .612 65 19 2

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 5/5/2013.

Jhonny Peralta:

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP
    2013 31 DET AL 27 119 108 9 32 5 0 2 14 1 1 8 27 .296 .339 .398 .737 97 43 2

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 5/5/2013.
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast