Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Walt is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Bonderman making a comeback?

It looks like Bondo is coming back. Would anyone want the Tigers to take a flyer on him? He wants a minor league contract with a ST invite. It would be low risk, high reward, but has that ship sailed in Detroit?

Edit: Just saw this in the offseason thread. If a Mod thinks this is monotonous, feel free to delete it.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

1776 is offline MotownSports Fan

Works for me. I still have an orange Bonderman player tee I wear from time to time.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

No mention of a change-up? Pass.
    VT Twitter

2014 AAT: Shannon Hogan

Well you best believe I love you baby.....when your old man ain't around.

Walt is offline MotownSports Fan

The no mention of a change up is a change up, no?
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The no mention of a change up is a change up, no?
    Well to be fair, spring training hasn't started yet.
    VT Twitter

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

I almost mentioned Bonderman yesterday, funny. I don't see how it hurts to bring him in on a minor league contract. As a long reliever, and spot starter, I think you could do a lot worse.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Given that the nerve issues have now had enough time to fully recover, there could still be a lot of pitching talent lurking there -- if Jeremy is serious about the commitment, which I think has to be open to question.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

No interest. Would just take a spot in spring training from a kid who deserves it more. He wasn't all that good when he had a fully functional arm.....

zimm is offline MotownSports Fan

he wouldn't need a change-up in the pen, and our pen needs an arm or 2. i'd bring him in as an NRI and let him show what he can do.
    Evil

Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

Fearless Raccoon is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    -- if Jeremy is serious about the commitment, which I think has to be open to question.
    FYI, according to Rotoworld, "He's allegedly dropped 35 pounds and is in fantastic shape."
    Mark Fidrych and Al Kaline are my only heroes.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by stanpapi View Post
    No interest. Would just take a spot in spring training from a kid who deserves it more. He wasn't all that good when he had a fully functional arm.....
    I think between the arms we have traded in the last t yrs and Smyly's call up, I'm not sure how many starting arms we do need to make room for in ST.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

tigermojo is offline MotownSports Fan

I wonder if he'd rather sign to play somewhere closer to his home.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Raccoon View Post
    FYI, according to Rotoworld, "He's allegedly dropped 35 pounds and is in fantastic shape."
    35 pounds? He wasn't fat before.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by stanpapi View Post
    False
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I think between the arms we have traded in the last t yrs and Smyly's call up, I'm not sure how many starting arms we do need to make room for in ST.
    Exactly. I don't know who he would be blocking in ST who deserves a long look. We are very thin in the upper levels with regards to major league ready prospects. We're talking Wilk, Below and Crosby here... All guys who we know fairly well at this point.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    Exactly. I don't know who he would be blocking in ST who deserves a long look. We are very thin in the upper levels with regards to major league ready prospects. We're talking Wilk, Below and Crosby here... All guys who we know fairly well at this point.
    Don't think we know Crosby that well, but agree with the other two. This year is pretty important for Casey.

RandyMarsh is offline MotownSports Fan

I want nothing to do with Bonderman, I don't see why anybody would other than the fact that he used to be a Tiger. Think about it, if he was from any other organization would anybody here be interested in him? He's a former highly touted prospect 10 years ago, hasn't really had a productive season in 7 years, has had multiple serious arm injuries, can only throw 2 pitches, and hasn't pitched in the majors in 3 seasons. If a player had that resume and wasn't a former Tiger would anybody here even come close to vouching for him, even if for only a spring training invitee? I highly doubt it.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Bonderman is pretty good if he's healthy. He's probably not healthy. It's not a big deal finding out in spring training though so I'd give him a shot.

Maybe he could be the new closer
    Kobernoooooous

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post

Maybe he could be the new closer
    You beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyMarsh View Post
    I want nothing to do with Bonderman, I don't see why anybody would other than the fact that he used to be a Tiger. Think about it, if he was from any other organization would anybody here be interested in him? He's a former highly touted prospect 10 years ago, hasn't really had a productive season in 7 years, has had multiple serious arm injuries, can only throw 2 pitches, and hasn't pitched in the majors in 3 seasons. If a player had that resume and wasn't a former Tiger would anybody here even come close to vouching for him, even if for only a spring training invitee? I highly doubt it.
    So you mean like Steve Avery and Matt Mantei? I wanted them in camp. You don't lose anything by bringing these type of guys into ST. Bonderman, if healthy, could be a great addition to the roster. And if he's not healthy, you part ways. He realizes that's the game here.

Bonderman just turned 30 last week. I don't see what is wrong with giving him a look.

RandyMarsh is offline MotownSports Fan

So you mean like Steve Avery and Matt Mantei? I wanted them in camp. You don't lose anything by bringing these type of guys into ST. Bonderman, if healthy, could be a great addition to the roster. And if he's not healthy, you part ways. He realizes that's the game here.

Bonderman just turned 30 last week. I don't see what is wrong with giving him a look.
    If Bonderman is the absolute best ST invite available then by all means invite him, but all I'm saying is that there are probably a ton of more qualified guys that we could be giving a shot to as well so don't pass on other guys just because he was in the organization. Answer this, would you be at all interested in him if his whole career was with another team?

tigerjoe is offline MotownSports Fan

If Bonderman is the absolute best ST invite available then by all means invite him, but all I'm saying is that there are probably a ton of more qualified guys that we could be giving a shot to as well so don't pass on other guys just because he was in the organization. Answer this, would you be at all interested in him if his whole career was with another team?

I say yes, because it's only to invite him to spring training. It's not like there are only so many roster spots. You can invite as many people to spring training as possible so why not? What would it hurt? With the success he once had, I don't care what team he was with, I'd take a look at least. The Tigers should be able to tell fairly quickly if he can still snap off that slider.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Well you only need about 37 pitchers during Spring Training, I dunno .... :-)
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

tigerbomb13 is offline MotownSports Fan

There's no harm in a NRI. I wouldn't expect anything, but there's a small chance of catching lightning in a bottle. No risk, potential small reward.
    2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Robbie Ray

You are asking a question that I've already answered. I was interested in Avery and Mantei, they spent their careers with other teams. Yes, I would be interested in Bonderman. He just turned 30 and was a good pitcher until he had a non-arm related injury. Subsequently he's had TJ surgery and is reportedly in good shape. Why not give him a minor league deal and NRI? He's the ideal scrap heap pitcher, a guy with talent, who is under the radar, and cheap. Whether he pans out or not remains to be seen, but there's no harm in finding out.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

At this point he's better than Valverde, so umm that's something.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Make him a NRI immediately.

I miss Jeremy Bonderman.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Verlander would be pleased to have him back I''m sure. They got pretty close.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

Turnbuckle is online now MotownSports Fan

Would love to take a flier on this guy. Even if the last game I saw him play in person was one where he gave up a grand slam in the first inning. This was the most exciting game I went to in person though.
    Tigers 13 inning roller coaster with the Minnesota Twins

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    he wouldn't need a change-up in the pen

Let me assist you here: think Motown meme which usually occurs some time around February.
    VT Twitter

shauntacular is offline MotownSports Fan

I really think he's going to sign with his hometown Mariners. Also I think he might just shock some folks and be effective for a short time.
    TheCaptain: Is it just me or does one of Fielder's sons look like Miguel Cabrera?

You are asking a question that I've already answered. I was interested in Avery and Mantei, they spent their careers with other teams. Yes, I would be interested in Bonderman. He just turned 30 and was a good pitcher until he had a non-arm related injury. Subsequently he's had TJ surgery and is reportedly in good shape. Why not give him a minor league deal and NRI? He's the ideal scrap heap pitcher, a guy with talent, who is under the radar, and cheap. Whether he pans out or not remains to be seen, but there's no harm in finding out.
    Just because it wasn't necessarily an arm related injury doesn't make it any easier to come back from. Thoracic outlet is pretty debilitating. Sure, give him an NRI. Don't really think there's anything to see here. I'm sure he'll be throwing 87.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

How about this guy?

Ex-Tiger Joel Zumaya preys on smallmouth bass in Michigan | Outdoors | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

"I was born to be a Tiger. I've been talking to them. I could end up back here," he said. In the meantime Zumaya stands on the shore and grins, unfazed by the frigid conditions.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Lynn Henning just got a chubby.
    VT Twitter

Blog Entries

I'm not sure he's capable.
    Facebook

Are we sure he is healthy? Can he do a keg stand?

I say yes to Zumaya too, if healthy and in good shape. It doesn't hurt to give these guys minor league deals. They are young (zoom is 28) and were once very good pitchers (or throwers). Both Zoom and Bonderman almost certainly would have to start in Toledo though. You can't be out of the majors for 2 years and think you can step right in without some time to get the rust off against some competition.

VT Twitter

Blog Entries

That was February Biff.
    Facebook

The 27-year-old could choose to have Tommy John surgery and start another exhaustive rehab program that could last a year or longer. Or he could choose to retire.
    VT Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    The 27-year-old could choose to have Tommy John surgery and start another exhaustive rehab program that could last a year or longer. Or he could choose to retire.
    The freep article says he had the surgery. If he had his surgery in March 2012, he's probably a month ahead of Bonderman who reportedly had his TJ in April 2012. The reality is, if you sign either of these guys, they are probably late-May or June call-ups. Not only are they rehabing injuries, but both have missed the last two full seasons. They'll probably need some work before they are ready for the majors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast