View Poll Results: Will they make a move?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 68.29%
  • No

13 31.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default GM Winter Meetings: will they make a move?

Yes or no?
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Blog Entries

My vote is absolutely yes, and my shot in the dark pick is them selling high on Avi Garcia.
    Facebook

Just Some Dude is offline MotownSports Fan

I voted No just because I want the opposite to happen. I want us to fix all of the holes early!

Jeff6851 is offline MotownSports Fan

I think that by 2013 one of Castellanos, Rondon or Garcia will no longer be a Tiger.
    2012 AL Champs

stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

hmmm....I think it would be a huge mistake to sell on Garcia right now. The kid can run and throw extremely well. He was essentially a 21 yr. old, single A player thrust into the world series...and you know what- he did ok in some pressure situations. Better than alot of their more experienced guys. Let's face it, not everyone is ready for the show at 18 yrs. old like Miggy was. I think you hold onto a guy that has tools like that. At least see if he continues to progress. There is too much there to like to give up on him this early.

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Tori Hunter
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

I wonder if Garcia could be a big peice of a Andrus offer? Gets them a young piece for him. Garcia+Porcello+low level guy? Would you do it?
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Ć

Jeff6851 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    I wonder if Garcia could be a big peice of a Andrus offer? Gets them a young piece for him. Garcia+Porcello+low level guy? Would you do it?
    Yes but Texas wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by stanpapi View Post
    hmmm....I think it would be a huge mistake to sell on Garcia right now. The kid can run and throw extremely well. He was essentially a 21 yr. old, single A player thrust into the world series...and you know what- he did ok in some pressure situations. Better than alot of their more experienced guys. Let's face it, not everyone is ready for the show at 18 yrs. old like Miggy was. I think you hold onto a guy that has tools like that. At least see if he continues to progress. There is too much there to like to give up on him this early.
    This. Garcia could even increase his value in the future (and we may actually need him). He couldn't the centerpiece of a deal that would bring us a difference maker right now.
    2012 AL Champs

Blog Entries

You have to give to receive... other GM's are probably drooling over this kid right now.
    Facebook

Porcelain God is offline MotownSports Fan

It would match the usual Tiger M.O. of selling off prospects for proven players. Garcia, Porcello, + would not get it done for Andrus?

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain God View Post
    It would match the usual Tiger M.O. of selling off prospects for proven players. Garcia, Porcello, + would not get it done for Andrus?
    depends on what + is, but Garcia and Porcello alone with the idea of a + probably wouldn't get the rangers to the table, at least not quickly. I think the timing on Andrus is a year too soon. If he was one year later into his contract, with the stress the Rangers will have in trying to re-sign Hamilton, it might have worked.
    VT

Charles Liston is offline MotownSports Fan

Yes, they'll do something. I'd like to keep Garcia and Castellanos but if you packaged one of them with Porcello and Peralta what could you get? Does Texas or Kansas City have anyone in the minors at short who is blocked right now, to make a deal for Andrus or Escobar feasible?

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

If you mean this week's GM meetings, then I'd say no because nothing much usually happens there. If you mean the December meetings, then yes I think something will happen then or maybe a little sooner.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

The stress of money isn't big on Andrus, it's because of Profar.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Ć

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

If the Tigers get say, Josh Hamilton, then they may not need Garcia or Castellanos for say 5-7 years...On the other hand, if the Tigers miss out on a top tier outfielder free agent this year, The Tigers may really need both Garcia and Castellanos in the nest few years. If you want to sell high, throw Dirks name into that hat too....
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Selling on Dirks is kind of a more interesting idea. He might bring something nice over in a trade. Looking at all of our options right now, I feel like we can find a lefty OF rather easily.

RJBBREZ is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger69 View Post
    If the Tigers get say, Josh Hamilton, then they may not need Garcia or Castellanos for say 5-7 years...On the other hand, if the Tigers miss out on a top tier outfielder free agent this year, The Tigers may really need both Garcia and Castellanos in the nest few years. If you want to sell high, throw Dirks name into that hat too....
    I think they would be foolish to spend a huge amount of money on Hamilton. Would rather see 2-3 other moves which mainly include signing Sanchez.

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I think they'll make a move. I wonder if the supposed relationship between Garcia & Miggy would factor into any decision on whether to move him? My guess is no. I could see them moving either Garcia or Castellanos, and if it's for a SS they'd probably move Peralta too.
    2014 AAT:Daniel Fields All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infant’s life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff6851 View Post
    I think that by 2013 one of Castellanos, Rondon or Garcia will no longer be a Tiger.
    I would wager one of Castellanos/Garcia would be the trade chip, simply because both are currently playing RF, as well as Rondon being an option for a wide open closer role. It is intriguing to consider selling high on Garcia after a successful stint in the majors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    I would wager one of Castellanos/Garcia would be the trade chip, simply because both are currently playing RF, as well as Rondon being an option for a wide open closer role. It is intriguing to consider selling high on Garcia after a successful stint in the majors.
    Castellanos has been playing some LF in Arizona.
    Facebook

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

I would much prefer to see them swing some sort of deal for an upgrade in the middle infield than go all out for a big name outfielder. I would be willing to accept a down grade in offense for very good defense at short.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Castellanos has been playing some LF in Arizona.
    Good. I would like for he and Garcia to play a bit of each corner OF just to become acclimated in the event they get bumped from one to the other. I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia get a look at CF in spring training, just to see how he looks out there in the event Jackson needs extended time off.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

I can't believe how many people are looking at Garcia like he's a huge trade chip. He doesn't have a good eye and his power hasn't shown up at all. Not even doubles. He hits like Edgar Renteria right now. Yes, the defense is nice, and sure, he can run a bit, but the bat just isn't there enough to put him in the same sentence as Castellanos or whomever else.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Walt is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    I can't believe how many people are looking at Garcia like he's a huge trade chip. He doesn't have a good eye and his power hasn't shown up at all. Not even doubles. He hits like Edgar Renteria right now. Yes, the defense is nice, and sure, he can run a bit, but the bat just isn't there enough to put him in the same sentence as Castellanos or whomever else.
    Are you basing this on his MLB at bats? I have heard that he changed his approach upon being called up to slap the ball around rather than trying to drive it too much. I think that I heard this from Mark on one of their podcasts, but I could be remembering incorrectly since it has been sooooo long since they did one.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

benrush is offline MotownSports Fan

Three team blockbuster
    Tigers receive Crisp and Clippard
    Nats receive Cespedes, Porcello, Boesch, and Sizemore
    A's receive Morse, Peralta, Espinosa, Anthony Rendon, Casey Crosby and Brian Goodwin

Tigers sign Stephen Drew 2 years 16 million

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by benrush View Post
    Three team blockbuster
    A's receive Morse, Peralta, Espinosa, Anthony Rendon, Casey Crosby and Brian Goodwin

Any deal involving Crisp cannot be described as a blockbuster.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by benrush View Post
    Three team blockbuster

Why would the Tigers trade Porcello, Peralta, and Casey Crosby for a guy they could get for free and Tyler Clippard? Go look what the A's got for Trevor Cahill; why would the Tigers get much less for Porcello?

RJBBREZ is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe they look at him that way because he is 21yrs old and has plenty of potential.
    Last edited by RJBBREZ; 11-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RJBBREZ View Post
    Maybe they look at him that way because he is 21yrs old and started last season in single A and ended up playing in the world series.
    I wouldn't presume to predict what kind of hitter Garcia is going to end up. But I can say that I am impressed at the way he seems to be willing to adjust his hitting approach and rebuild it as he acclimates to each new level. Seems to argue he has a lot of command of his hitting mechanics and confidence in his ability to see pitches.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

From what I've gathered he's anywhere between the 80th and 120th best prospect in baseball depending on who you ask. So he has a lot of value.

Blog Entries

He's a guy who has a good amount of value on the trade market right now, why pretend he doesn't? He's a perfect sell high candidate, IMO.

And who here has put him in the same sentence as Castellanos?
    Facebook

He's a guy who has a good amount of value on the trade market right now, why pretend he doesn't? He's a perfect sell high candidate, IMO.

And who here has put him in the same sentence as Castellanos?
    I checked out his minor league stats yesterday, and they didn't stirke me as very impressive. Over 5 seasons his OPS is only .708, with a BB/SO ratio of 79/451. It is his possible he figured something this past season, clearly his best since he 2008 Venezuelan Summer League. But I guess I wonder how much he's really worth on the market? I guess I understand what you are saying about selling high, but at the same time, will his minor league stats really garner much in return for him?
    Last edited by Casimir; 11-07-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Go look up Magglio and tell me if people should have feared his minor league numbers.

Look I'm not saying he's a blue-chip prospect. He simply is not. But that the Tigers may see his value at its highest right now. If anything, the minor league numbers support that.
    Facebook

Go look up Magglio and tell me if people should have feared his minor league numbers.
    .747 with a 200/367 BB/SO split. Better than Garcia. But let's also note that Ordonez was in the minors through age 23 (with the exception of rehab assignments).

Look I'm not saying he's a blue-chip prospect. He simply is not. But that the Tigers may see his value at its highest right now. If anything, the minor league numbers support that.
    Just depends on what the Tigers think. I am sure that they have an expectation of what he can accomplish in the majors. Perhaps that has been changed with his call up, perhaps not. But other teams may also see what the Tigers see if they choose to sell high now, and that is likely going to drive down the return for Garcia. They Tigers may see Garcia at his highest value right now, or they may see what he accmplished in his 2 good seasons as a more accurate barometer of what lies ahead. It might behoove them to hold onto Garcia if they expect him to repeat 2012 in Toledo next season. And it may be in the best interest for the Tigers to hold onto whatever inexpensive major league talent that they have considering the salaries that they'll be paying out in the future.

Garcia is a good poker game right now. Maybe the Tigers have a competitor at the table that plays poker poorly.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I am also of the belief that Garcia could be used as a good trade chip right now. His value is probably the highest its been and the Tigers need help in certain areas.

I don't expect him to get traded, I think his relationship with Cabrera is telling.

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    I checked out his minor league stats yesterday, and they didn't stirke me as very impressive. Over 5 seasons his OPS is only .708, with a BB/SO ratio of 79/451. It is his possible he figured something this past season, clearly his best since he 2008 Venezuelan Summer League. But I guess I wonder how much he's really worth on the market? I guess I understand what you are saying about selling high, but at the same time, will his minor league stats really garner much in return for him?
    Of course this also goes back the question of age normalizing for minor league performance, which has already been discussed at length. Garcia was playing pro ball at 17 wasn't he?
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Garcia definitely has some value as a prospect with his tools and the fact that he came up and helped out a major league team during a pennant chase. It all depends on what you are looking to get for him though.

The thing is, you could just as easily be selling low as high.

They wouldn't be selling low or high on Garcia. All MLB teams are very aware of Garcia's potential and I doubt his early recall has much bearing on his value.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

DD likes to move fast and set the market. So odds are that we will make a move during the winter meetings. But I think it will probably be limited to signing a couple of guys, like a middle reliever and/or a platoon corner OF.
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

The easiest quick move would probably be signing a middle reliever. I think there is too much competition for Sanchez and corner outfielders for that to happen quickly.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast