View Poll Results: Will they make a move?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 68.29%
  • No

13 31.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    They wouldn't be selling low or high on Garcia. All MLB teams are very aware of Garcia's potential and I doubt his early recall has much bearing on his value.
    I think you're making the assumption that there's no benefit for a GM/scout to actually see a prospect play at the Major League level, and to see him have some success. I think it could very well have some bearing on his value. It obviously won't outweigh what they already knew about him, but it will make a difference.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

They wouldn't be selling low or high on Garcia. All MLB teams are very aware of Garcia's potential and I doubt his early recall has much bearing on his value.
    Can't say I agree with this much at all.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think you're making the assumption that there's no benefit for a GM/scout to actually see a prospect play at the Major League level, and to see him have some success. I think it could very well have some bearing on his value. It obviously won't outweigh what they already knew about him, but it will make a difference.
    Given the way he was used mostly versus LHP, I don't think he performed above what someone would expect. Every new piece of information is worth a little, but I don't think he did anything where his value would go significantly higher.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

Gotta agree with lee and Cioe here.

Garcia is a nice prospect, probably just outside the top 100 based on what I have seen from Mark. But we have been hearing about him all year. The rest of te league knows his value, which is that of a good prospect.

Playing sporadically down the stretch for a playoff team isn't going to change anything. At most it reminded other GMs that he exists. But it is not like he was called up because he force the issue and is bursting onto the scene. He was only on the team because the tigers were ridiculously deficient when it came to right handed outfielders.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

tigerjoe is offline MotownSports Fan

I bet the Tigers make another huge deal. How many times since Dombrowski took over have the Tigers had THE biggest splash deal in the offseason? The Pudge signing, the Miggy/Dontrelle trade, Grandy trade, Prince signing. Year after year, just when you think the Tigers are done making huge moves, they pull off another blockbuster.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Time to whip out the old crystal ball - Tigers will acquire:

1. Jon Rausch (FA)
    2. Luke Gregerson (Trade)
    3. Dexter Fowler (Trade)
    4. Cody Ross (FA)
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post

1. Jon Rausch (FA)
    3. Dexter Fowler (Trade)
    4. Cody Ross (FA)
    Now that you've traded Cabrera and Verlander for Gregerson and Fowler, how do you plan to plug 3B and the rotation?
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

The easiest quick move would probably be signing a middle reliever. I think there is too much competition for Sanchez and corner outfielders for that to happen quickly.

Respectfully ignoring Sanchez for the minute, what is everyone's sense about the free agent market right now?

It's sort of odd, in past seasons some teams with money would move to get the top guys ASAP, then as the top guys signed teams with needs that didn't get their #1 free agent needs fixed, they would then go to player #2, #3 and #4- like black friday shopping. I distinctly recall stories in past years of Dave Dombrowski faxing out free agent offers at 12:01 midnight as the "gates opened" and free agents could talk to other teams.

Also in the past if a team like the Tigers decided a top pick was out of reach (too much money, not a good fit, too many years..etc.) Dombrowski would make a move to one of the lessor free agents and try and sign them before larger payroll teams could finish bidding on the top guys.

This year it's wierd, it's like players and teams are all just milling about meekly trying to see who will try and match up first and how much demand there will be before any team makes a offer. Why would any team give Josh Hamilton what he wants when no team is standing in line to give him anything close? Ditto Torii Hunter, If only one team is in his line with a low ball offer of $6M, maybe he will not get his $10M instead.

It's just shaping up to be a really slow start and I think GM's and agents will be waiting later this year and into next before the ball really gets rolling and as one player signs, it will help set the bar for what other players will be worth....but we'll see.
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    Now that you've traded Cabrera and Verlander for Gregerson and Fowler, how do you plan to plug 3B and the rotation?
    I only make that horrible of a trade in my OOTP league :-)
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Given the way he was used mostly versus LHP, I don't think he performed above what someone would expect. Every new piece of information is worth a little, but I don't think he did anything where his value would go significantly higher.
    I doubt he was even considered to be a guy who could come up and platoon against major league pitching at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    Gotta agree with lee and Cioe here.

Garcia is a nice prospect, probably just outside the top 100 based on what I have seen from Mark. But we have been hearing about him all year. The rest of te league knows his value, which is that of a good prospect.

Playing sporadically down the stretch for a playoff team isn't going to change anything. At most it reminded other GMs that he exists. But it is not like he was called up because he force the issue and is bursting onto the scene. He was only on the team because the tigers were ridiculously deficient when it came to right handed outfielders.
    Again I disagree. I think there is a high probability that people thought there was plenty of chance that Garcia was a guy who would never be able to hack it in the majors. He didn't show that he belongs in the show, but he showed that he could come up and not be completely embarassed. Its now not out of the realm of possibility that someone thinks he could be a starting or at leat platoon OF for them as soon as next year. Thats different than being a fringe, toolsy prospect. JMO.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I doubt he was even considered to be a guy who could come up and platoon against major league pitching at this point in time.
    He really couldn't platoon against major league pitching this year. He had no power at all and just a hollow batting average. The only reason he played was because their other options were abysmal. I think he's got some great tools, but I don't think anything he did at the MLB level showed that he was anything other than a very raw player with great tools.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

He really couldn't platoon against major league pitching this year. He had no power at all and just a hollow batting average. The only reason he played was because their other options were abysmal. I think he's got some great tools, but I don't think anything he did at the MLB level showed that he was anything other than a very raw player with great tools.
    I get that, but I think if someone told you at the beginning of the year Garcia would be called up, you'd be predicting something along the lines of a .220 average and maybe a 500 OPS. . Not that he could potentially go 5/11 in an ALCS. Yah, its a small sample size, but you'd expect someone considered that raw to be more overwhelmed.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post

1. Jon Rausch (FA)
    3. Dexter Fowler (Trade)
    4. Cody Ross (FA)
    Can I ask what place Dexter Fowler has on the Tigers?

Abe Fromen is offline MotownSports Fan

1st time poster here (been lurking for a couple of months).

Word out of the GM meetings is that AZ is looking to trade Upton soon and they are looking for a 3B or SS in the deal.

If we are open to trading Nick C I think Towers would probably go for a package centered around him. I live in AZ now and get to read/watch most of what goes on with the diamondbacks. Upton has great potential but in AZ has never really had time to grow up as a ball player. He was bumped up at 21 and immediately given the "savior" label but never really given support to grow into it IMO. I think sometimes these kids don't get enough chance to grow.....when Upton was playing well they wanted to call him the franchise, when he has struggled they call him out for effort.

Then you have Towers who loves to go on the radio and call out players very publically. When Upton was playing through a series of injuries early/mid season....Towers goes on the radio and questions his toughness and heart.....S Drew recovering from a bad ankle injury ealry last season and towers goes on the radio and questions his heart and toughness. Now he's in a public spat with Bauer about his training habits...the same training habits the kid has talked about all along and well before he was drafted.

We have the opposite thing going on here.....IMO you put Upton in our clubhouse in a situation where he's not going to be called out for not being the savior surrounded by a solid cast of guy....he's going to flourish. And his salaries of 9.7, 14, and 14.5 in the next three are not bad for a player of his ability, potential, and youth.

Jason Bay might be a guy you can look at on a cheap 1 year deal, to come in and be a platoon bat against LHP. More playing time, if he performs. He was bad all-around in 2012, but even in sub-par 2010 and 2011 seasons still hit LHP pretty well.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Fromen View Post

Word out of the GM meetings is that AZ is looking to trade Upton soon and they are looking for a 3B or SS in the deal.

If we are open to trading Nick C I think Towers would probably go for a package centered around him. I live in AZ now and get to read/watch most of what goes on with the diamondbacks. Upton has great potential but in AZ has never really had time to grow up as a ball player. He was bumped up at 21 and immediately given the "savior" label but never really given support to grow into it IMO. I think sometimes these kids don't get enough chance to grow.....when Upton was playing well they wanted to call him the franchise, when he has struggled they call him out for effort.

Then you have Towers who loves to go on the radio and call out players very publically. When Upton was playing through a series of injuries early/mid season....Towers goes on the radio and questions his toughness and heart.....S Drew recovering from a bad ankle injury ealry last season and towers goes on the radio and questions his heart and toughness. Now he's in a public spat with Bauer about his training habits...the same training habits the kid has talked about all along and well before he was drafted.

We have the opposite thing going on here.....IMO you put Upton in our clubhouse in a situation where he's not going to be called out for not being the savior surrounded by a solid cast of guy....he's going to flourish. And his salaries of 9.7, 14, and 14.5 in the next three are not bad for a player of his ability, potential, and youth.
    Are you the sausage king of Chicago?

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

No, that's Froman with an "a."
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Are you the sausage king of Chicago?

I spelled it wrong......Doh!!!

I also go by the internet names of Nick Pappageorgio and Trip McNealy

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

I put this in the offseason thread a bit ago....but it fits with this.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

The rumor of a Justin Upton deal to Det in a package that included Castellanos, A.Garcia & Smyly definitely makes sense if Dbacks add piece
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

Jason Bay might be a guy you can look at on a cheap 1 year deal, to come in and be a platoon bat against LHP. More playing time, if he performs. He was bad all-around in 2012, but even in sub-par 2010 and 2011 seasons still hit LHP pretty well.
    Was about to post this very idea. He could be a nice low risk platoon bat to partner with Dirks in LF. Not a sexy name but he might still have something left in the tank.

What are the names of some mods here?

or if any are reading.......could you change the name to "Froman" instead of "Fromen"

Thanx

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

What are the names of some mods here?

or if any are reading.......could you change the name to "Froman" instead of "Fromen"

Thanx
    If you back out to the top forum page and scroll to the bottom, you will see list of who is actively on-line. Moderators will be in red. You can private message one with the request. I didn't see any mods on-line right at the moment though....
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Sorry...No thanks on Bay.

This isn't a Alfonso Soriano/Carlos Zambrano situation where the Bay still has some value yet he's just over paid, Bay is done period.

When the Tigers gave up on Inge, the Tigers owed him about $5M for this year and the Tigers wrote that check and away went Inge. Think about this for a second, the Mets agreed to pay Bay $21M dollars NOT to play for them next year. Also remember that the Mets will pay David Wright's paultry $13M next year to actually still play for them. If being payed $21M to NOT play for a team isn't a red flag enough, I don't know what is.

Look at Bay's numbers last year;

Year Age Tm Lg G PA R H HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
    2012 33 NYM NL 70 215 21 32 8 20 5 1 19 58 .165 .237 .299 .536 47

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 11/8/2012.

And say Juan Pierre's numbers last year;

Year Age Tm Lg G PA R H HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    2012 34 PHI NL 130 439 59 121 1 25 37 7 23 27 .307 .351 .371 .721

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 11/8/2012.

Tell me which player would you rather put say $1M into?

(Because last year, Pierre worked for $800K and Bay made $16M)
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12