Thread: Gerald Laird

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Gerald Laird

It is reported that he would like more playing time......If he could hit his way out of a wet paper sack, he could have more playing time in Detroit.....just sayin'

tater6 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by roarintiger1 View Post
    It is reported that he would like more playing time......If he could hit his way out of a wet paper sack, he could have more playing time in Detroit.....just sayin'
    Addition by subtraction. Another Leyland guy bites the dust. Great news.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

This is exactly where we were at the end of 2010 and I'm sure that is why DD is telling him basically: "Buddy, we are not going to hold you down, go make whatever deal you can for more playing time and if you can't we'll be glad to have you back but with no bitching about your role."
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Laird had an okay year with the bat, but it's been four years since he was that proficient, and I doubt it's sustainable -- having watched him three out of the last four years. I think he's pretty much a low .600 OPS guy with average defense. Holaday should be able to replace that.

If some team is willing to give Laird an opportunity to play more, good luck to them. They will need it.
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

There are some good alternatives on the market such as Ross, Shoppach. Laird is not going to find what he wants though, so I suspect he might be back. This reminds me of the Ramon Santiago situation before he signed a two-year deal. Hopefully, they don't do the same with Laird.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Euphdude is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Thus ends Laird's second tour of duty with the Tigers.

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm going to say he was pretty professional this year. Never heard him ***** about playing time.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Please get us Shoppach this time. We need someone who hits lefties resonably well from the C spot.

junkballer is offline MotownSports Fan

I am a bit worried about Avila going forward. He may end up being one of those talented catchers who just don't last too many years. Some years, he'll hit well and in a few years... He'll probably be too banged up to get too much done. As much of a step back as he took last year, he was still worth 2.6 WAR. So yeah, let's maximize our value out of him. A right-handed backup with a little power and a passable glove would be great to have - the cheaper the better, but keep in mind that he may end up playing more than we'd like.
    I love the Detroit Tigers.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    I'm going to say he was pretty professional this year. Never heard him ***** about playing time.
    That is true. And I think the way the Tigers have handled situations like Laird is just one reason you generally don't hear players complain about or bad-mouth the Tiger org. They haven't made it difficult for guys like Laird or Kelly to try and get their shot, and they don't make any promises in their offers that they aren't going to honor. In return, the expectation is that since we're honest about the role we see for you, you have zero reason not to be a good soldier.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 11-01-2012 at 01:55 AM.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

I have no problem with Laird or how he was used this year. He contributed early on offensively in a way you can't expect from your backup C. Before he left he should have taught Jackson to bunt.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
    I thought the same thing plus dude got plenty of playing time in the playoffs/WS.
    VT Twitter

The mariner kills the bird of good omen. His shipmates cry against what he's done. But when the fog clears they justify him and make themselves a part of the crime.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Laird did pretty well this year, but frankly he's not a plus defender, and his vLHP split makes him a bad fit.

Paulino, Ross, Shop-Vac....any one of these would be great.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    Laird did pretty well this year, but frankly he's not a plus defender, and his vLHP split makes him a bad fit.

Paulino, Ross, Shop-Vac....any one of these would be great.
    I like Ross but I think he'll get 3-4 MM and I'd rather spend that on a bullpen arm.

Picking up Shoppach would ANGAR the Indians fans. If not for anything else, I like that.
    VT Twitter

The mariner kills the bird of good omen. His shipmates cry against what he's done. But when the fog clears they justify him and make themselves a part of the crime.

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

and we keep our Kelly quota.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Picking up Shoppach would ANGAR the Indians fans. If not for anything else, I like that.
    Tigers pick up Shoppach. Indians sign Young to masquerade in LF. That'd be good fun.

I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of Laird coming back to Detroit. This is simply a numbers game. Lots of options to back up Avila, and the Tigers may wait things out while addressing other needs.

MotownRandy is offline MotownSports Fan

I actually think the backup catcher position should be a priority this offseason. They have other holes, but there are enough good options available at catcher to reasonably fill it without going overboard. It needs to be someone who could play regularly if Avila was hurt. I'm also concerned about him holding up over the years and wonder if a position switch will need to occur.
    "What the world really needs is more love and less paper work"

Quote Originally Posted by MotownRandy View Post
    I actually think the backup catcher position should be a priority this offseason. They have other holes, but there are enough good options available at catcher to reasonably fill it without going overboard. It needs to be someone who could play regularly if Avila was hurt. I'm also concerned about him holding up over the years and wonder if a position switch will need to occur.
    Where could he go?

They need a backup to catch every third day to avoid Avila getting worn down IMO.
    VT Twitter

john doe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Shangri la in the Summer, Timbuktu in the Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    Tigers pick up Shoppach. Indians sign Young to masquerade in LF. That'd be good fun.

I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of Laird coming back to Detroit. This is simply a numbers game. Lots of options to back up Avila, and the Tigers may wait things out while addressing other needs.
    And he hits a bottom of the 9th inning Grand Slam in a game 163 Division Playoff, wiping out a three run Detroit lead with 2 outs off Benoit.
    Last edited by john doe; 11-01-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    It's pronounced Canada, and no, I haven't.

I really can't see it happening, but does anyone think that Victor might actually catch a few games next year?

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I really can't see it happening, but does anyone think that Victor might actually catch a few games next year?
    Absolutely no chance. They'll for sure carry another catcher. Maybe in an emergency situation but he won't be any sort of backup catcher.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    I like Ross but I think he'll get 3-4 MM and I'd rather spend that on a bullpen arm.
    Disagree with the presmise completely. I can't imagine that Illitch has tied down the budget to the extent that he would deny an extra couple of million for a critical need.

Make no mistake that the hitting ability of the backup catcher position now becomes a critical need, especially with Avila's problem hitting LHP and his injury/stamina issues, and especially in the postseason where L/R substitutions can be game-changers.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Disagree with the presmise completely. I can't imagine that Illitch has tied down the budget to the extent that he would deny an extra couple of million for a critical need.

Make no mistake that the hitting ability of the backup catcher position now becomes a critical need, especially with Avila's problem hitting LHP and his injury/stamina issues, and especially in the postseason where L/R substitutions can be game-changers.
    Of course there's the possibility that there's an extra 3-4MM to spend. In a vacuum, of course I'd love to have a backup catcher for that much money.

The point I was making is that I'd rather have a Kelly Shoppach type and a good bullpen arm for 3-4MM vs. David Ross and a cheap bullpen option.

DET Mr Malefic is offline MotownSports Fan

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    And he hits a bottom of the 9th inning Grand Slam in a game 163 Division Playoff, wiping out a three run Detroit lead with 2 outs off Benoit.
    If the Tigers end up playing a Game 163, particularly if the opposing team is Cleveland, something has gone very wrong well before we reach this point.
    Tigers record when in attendance: 2012: 3-2 W1 Home: 1-2, Away 2-0

Tigers record when in attendance: 2011: 6-7 L5 Home: 4-5, Away 2-1, Playoffs Home: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Absolutely no chance. They'll for sure carry another catcher. Maybe in an emergency situation but he won't be any sort of backup catcher.
    I just saw that DD is expecting to use him at DH with maybe a few games at first base.....no surprise there.

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

Laird will be back, DD said he told him to see what's out there and they were open to bringing him back in the same capacity as 2012. Nobody will pay Laird starter money and nobody will let him start, he's proven he can hit in a full time role. So he'll ask around, see there's zero interest and resign in Detroit, where he knows Leyland will play him and he has a shot at another championship
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

Of course there's the possibility that there's an extra 3-4MM to spend. In a vacuum, of course I'd love to have a backup catcher for that much money.

The point I was making is that I'd rather have a Kelly Shoppach type and a good bullpen arm for 3-4MM vs. David Ross and a cheap bullpen option.
    My only point is that I don't think that we're talking about a typical backup role of 150 at-bats, strong defense and weak bat. I think we're talking about a guy who may get 250 at-bats and may be a key part of the offensive attack against LHP if say VMart has problems making a full recovery and/or Fielder has a down year against LHP, either of which are fairly reasonable possibilities.

I think if the Tigers are short-sighted enough to short-change the bench again with Laird/Kelly/puke they are courting trouble for pennies on the dollar.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Motor City Sonics is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I have no problem with Laird or how he was used this year. He contributed early on offensively in a way you can't expect from your backup C. Before he left he should have taught Jackson to bunt.
    I agree. I thought he had a pretty darn good season for what his role is. I don't think he should complain about playing time, though.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

BFK
    BFK is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Laird Signs With Braves

I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?
    -Leo Durocher

1776 is offline MotownSports Fan

Saw that this orning but didn't post...figured everyone knew. Good sign for Atlanta. They must think he'll get'em to the WS.

I for one am anxious to see them spend $3 - 4 million on a quality RH catcher whose primary purpose would be to hit lefties fairly well for a catcher. Defense is secondary.

In my estimation this is as high a priority as finding a RH OF bat. Both positions will probably get 200+ at-bats and be critical in post-season game situations against LHP.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

I for one am anxious to see them spend $3 - 4 million on a quality RH catcher whose primary purpose would be to hit lefties fairly well for a catcher. Defense is secondary.

In my estimation this is as high a priority as finding a RH OF bat. Both positions will probably get 200+ at-bats and be critical in post-season game situations against LHP.
    So what you're saying is that Ryan Doumit would work perfectly.

So what you're saying is that Ryan Doumit would work perfectly.
    Why yes! Although he's not the plus hitter against LHP that I'd prefer (like Ross or Shoppach), Doumit is a pretty good overall hitter and can flex defensively in a way that we need.
    Introibo ad altare Dei