Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by junkballer View Post
    I agree with you - it doesn't seem like it takes a special pitcher to do it. I am curious to see a breakdown of the most common outcomes of one half of the ninth inning... I think that one of the reasons that Todd Jones was an effective closer was the fact that he just didn't seem to freak out about anything - it seemed to me that he understood the numbers and realized that as long as he didn't do anything stupid, he was likely to come out on top just by playing percentages. I prefer closers that get it done as quickly as possible, but there is a whole lot to be said for someone that doesn't crack under pressure and goes about his business the same way regardless of the situation.
    This.

Teams win at an amazing rate when leading by 1 run heading to the 9th.

I have to be honest I'm surprised there's no "closer by committee" talk coming from Jim and DD. If this team had won the world series, I think that would be 100% their plan going into 2013. They showed against the Yankees how much more sense it makes to not be locked into one guy to finish the game off. We had close games where we got to face Cano and Ibanez with a lefty instead of Valverde because we weren't locked into one guy for the job. You'd take the pressure off of everyone in the bullpen to not have a "closer". Jim would never make that walk when Coke has a 1-2-3 8th and a lefty is leading off the 9th just because he has to put his closer in to start the 9th. It still really surprises me that such "Great baseball minds" would limit their decision making process like that
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I'd much rather grab up a JP Howell type.
    Interesting you say that. Howell was a much hyped LHP who struggled to make in the majors as a SP and failed in several auditions before breaking through and becoming a very good RP at the age of 25.

Oliver will be 25 next season, and has been moved to the bullpen now. Howell is pretty much the exact comp one would cite as an ideal outcome for Oliver now.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    Interesting you say that. Howell was a much hyped LHP who struggled to make in the majors as a SP and failed in several auditions before breaking through and becoming a very good RP at the age of 25.

Oliver will be 25 next season, and has been moved to the bullpen now. Howell is pretty much the exact comp one would cite as an ideal outcome for Oliver now.
    Could be, but like I said, I see more Schlereth. If Oliver impresses in the bullpen, great,I'll be thrilled. I'm not saying its 100% impossible either. I'm just saying I think depending on it is pretty risky. I think this team needs to look for more of a sure thing given the position they're in. If we were the Twins or Royals, I'd go with Oliver and see what happened. Also, for what its worth, Howell did not have near the type of struggles in the minors Oliver has. The worst part is Oliver gets worse every year.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 11-03-2012 at 01:20 AM.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post

Don't really remember Howell being that hyped. I know he was a high pick, first round IIRC, but he's always thrown around 85, right?
    Last edited by alwaysthrowheat; 11-03-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123