Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Options Exercised on Dotel, Peralta

Tigertown Rats is offline MotownSports Fan

I would have been in favor of pursuing Stephen Drew to replace Peralta, but I am definitely on board with Dotel as long as he is filling the same role as this (oops, last) season and not closing.

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Peralta's numbers are somewhere between this year and 2011. He's not a bad option and has a good rapport with Infante now. Dotel's easy to bring back, but I wish he'd quit talking to the press so much about 'clubhouse dynamics'.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

As expected. I was hoping for Dotel but maybe Jhonny repeats 2011.
    VT Twitter

I love the smell of Red Bull in the morning.

Mark The Shark is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Good. Jhonny was substantially better than any SS available in free agency.
    2012 Adopted Tiger -- RHP Luis Marte

John_Brian_K is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Happy about Dotel....indifferent on Peralta, but put a gun to my head and I would say I was happy with it.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Rob from Canton is offline MotownSports Fan

I would have preferred a different option at short but I expected the Tigers to keep Peralta. Hopefully they will let Delmon walk. Michael Bourn would look good batting second playing LF with Dirks and Garcia platooning in right
    2011 AAT: Audy Alexander (Leguisamon) Ciriaco

"Baseball stats are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot but not everything." -Toby Harrah

spikesglaring is offline MotownSports Fan

Peralta could still be traded if the Tigers find a better alternative at shortstop, so no problem with this.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    Happy about Dotel....indifferent on Peralta, but put a gun to my head and I would say I was happy with it.
    I think this was a no-brainer on Peralta, but I don't think it means he will for sure be back. There is always the option of trading him at the $6 mil as he is a decent value. I would say there is probably a 85% chance he will be our shortstop, but 15% is still a decent chance that he might get moved.
    Micah 7:7

Quote Originally Posted by spikesglaring View Post
    Peralta could still be traded if the Tigers find a better alternative at shortstop, so no problem with this.
    Yeah, this

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by spikesglaring View Post
    That's not a DD-type manuever though. He doesn't jerk players around at all, and I suspect that the thought of exercising the option so that they can trade him never even crossed his mind.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Clearly they are going to have to address SS for 2014, but Jhonny was the best sure option available to us for 2013. So I think it was a good move.

Seattle Mike is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    Clearly they are going to have to address SS for 2014, but Jhonny was the best sure option available to us for 2013. So I think it was a good move.
    One of the Tigers best prospects is Eugenio Suarez, a 21-year old SS who played at West Michigan this year. All reports say he fields the position capably and he's hit at every level, including a well above average walk rate. His development will be one of the big stories to watch next year.

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rob from Canton View Post
    I would have preferred a different option at short but I expected the Tigers to keep Peralta. Hopefully they will let Delmon walk. Michael Bourn would look good batting second playing LF with Dirks and Garcia platooning in right
    again with Bourn, how does it make sense to pay a premium for a guy with great speed who steals bases and bat him in front of Cabrera when we all know with our manager that means you are not allowed to attempt a steal. Just seems dumb, not to mention thye career OPS of .704
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

Shelton is online now MotownSports Fan

I think they try to trade him, possibly for a corner outfielder to a team that is need of a ss/3b. But it won't be easy, because the tigers will still need to find a replacement. I suppose they could use worth, but I doubt it.

My guess is that peralta stays and they use free agency to fill other needs.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

I went from thinking that Jhonny would fall from being very good in 2011 to being good in 2012; then thought he'd bounce back from the 1st half of 2012 (which he started to do in June/July); then saw what he did in August/September and thought he was washed up; then he bounced back in the ALCS and actually hit the ball and fielded pretty well in the WS. Interestingly, he started to elevate the ball in the postseason again which I think helped.

I **still** cannot understand why he reverted to being a groundball machine after such a successful 2011 campaign which was clearly aided by hitting more flyballs.

Despite all of the undulations and approach-shifting at the plate, his career norms are very uninspiring: a .325 wOBA (which he underperformed at about .309 IIRC), nice UZR but poor range. I would still prefer a better fielding SS who can draw a walk....we'll see if a trade is still in the offing.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

tigermojo is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Drew fits well in Oakland with all the other cry babies.

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

There is no readily available better option to replace Peralta, within shouting distance of his comp of $6MM. His hitting is probably better than we saw this year, and he's also made defensive improvement that has been sustained across two seasons. I couldn't fathom any scenario in which he wasn't coming back.

I don't mind going back to the well with Dotel once more, although I do predict posters calling for his head at some point during the season. He will be 39, after all.

junkballer is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    I think Peralta's numbers are somewhere between this year and 2011.
    Yep. His BABIP was down to .275 this year, with his career average being around .310, so barring falling off the cliff... He should be fine. We dealt with Guillen's declining range. Guillen was a better offensive player, but factoring in all of the production from the guys that filled in while he was hurt... I am guessing that the aggregate production is that of Jhonny Peralta. There are bigger holes to fill.

As for Dotel, he's as proven as any reliever. Just don't throw more money his way after this year and I'll be happy.
    I love the Detroit Tigers.

Walt is online now MotownSports Fan

I think that the Tigers will look at acquiring somebody to replace Peralta, but they will need to see if they can sign Sanchez first, so that they will have the ammo to pull off a trade for a better shortstop since there isn't one available in FA.

Holy run on sentence batman.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Wanting Dotel and Peralta back is like eating the food at McDonalds.......You don't have to like it, but at least you know what you are gonna get.

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

No problem with bringing either guy back. Dotel was one of our most consistent pitchers this year and there is no better free agent option to replace Peralta. Not sure who they would trade for to replace him but I won't put anything past DD and Illitch after getting Fielder last year. I almost expect them to go out and get a big piece.
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

Dombrowski said to the media today (per 97.1) they plan on pursuing Anibel but are not going to resign Valverde or Delmon.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Dotel: Great news
    Peralta: OK news
    Kobernoooooous

benrush is offline MotownSports Fan

I think there is a good chance both will be traded after they resign Anibal Sanchez.

Porcello and Dotel to the Pirates for Hanrahan or to the Nats for Clippard

Peralta to the A's for Crisp. Beane loves one year deals and they just traded Pennigton and picked up Chris Young.

DD has gone after Jack Wilson on multiple occasions and brought in Adam Everett. I think we could see an all-glove player like Brendan Ryan or Mike Aviles in here to shore up the defense with Ramon as a platoon option.

Kamakzie is offline MotownSports Fan

At least Valverde and Delmon is gone!
    2014 AAT: Nick Castellanos | 2013 AAL: Nate Burleson
    Brian Bluhm Estrepe1 is #1
    RIP Brian Schultz beloved cousin 10/31/1971 - 12/18/2009

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

Leyland back: OK, would have been happy either way but glad it's settled.

Dotel back: good

Peralta back: OK, but still hope they try to trade him and get a defensive upgrade. Not expecting them to be able to pull it off though.

Valverde gone: good

Young gone: good!

Laird gone: good and a little surprising

Boesch will be tendered: not good, but being left off post-season roster signals he'll have to a win a roster spot. might end up being traded.

Sanchez will be pursued: good, but he'll cost a lot and might prevent them from doing anything else major.

will pursue corner outfielder: good, but not unexpected

will pursue middle reliever over closer: good, would like to see some creativity with bullpen.

Edit: Laird not gone for sure, but doesn't sound like a priority.
    Last edited by tiger337; 10-30-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

2 no brainers, yawn. I like Stephen Drew, but counting on him to stay healthy and productive is too big of a gamble. You know roughly what you'll get from Peralta with the chance for a a large upward swing in offensive production if he gets hot.

Love seeing Valverde and Young officially gone. I don't mind tendering Boesch. It won't cost much, he might be tradebait to some degree and he always has the chance at hot streaks. As long as they don't count on him for any major role of course.

I see zero chance that Peralta or Dotel are traded pre-season.

They'll try on Sanchez, but I doubt they pull it off. I'd rather pay a guy like Ervin Santana if we can trade for him and his 1/13 deal or something like that. Free agent pitchers are a huge gamble.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm not shocked about Peralta, but hope this doesn't mean this is written in stone.

All of the decisions were probably predictable.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Leyland back: OK, would have been happy either way but glad it's settled.

Dotel back: good

Peralta back: OK, but still hope they try to trade him and get a defensive upgrade. Not expecting them to be able to pull it off though.

Valverde gone: good

Young gone: good!

Laird gone: good and a little surprising

Boesch will be tendered: not good, but being left off post-season roster signals he'll have to a win a roster spot. might end up being traded.

Sanchez will be pursued: good, but he'll cost a lot and might prevent them from doing anything else major.

will pursue corner outfielder: good, but not unexpected

will pursue middle reliever over closer: good, would like to see some creativity with bullpen.

Edit: Laird not gone for sure, but doesn't sound like a priority.
    Lee's post: Very Good!

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post

I guess I can understand that maybe they think being left off the roster and losing his playing time will be a wake-up call for him - so they are holding out the possibility that he shows up a different player in the spring. Seems like a long shot, but what's the downside in finding out?
    'No Way To Prevent This,í Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

None of the moves surprise me at all. However, I don't know how you say you're going to get better when you keep a Jhonny Peralta hitting into double plays and grounding out to end rallies. To me, if you're keeping him, you're just waiving the flag saying "we know we aren't getting better next year, but this is the best we can do". Now, iff they can solidify/vastly upgrade two other spots in the order, such that they aren't automatic outs from 6-9, I would be ok batting Jhonny 8 or 9. But not at 6. He kills too many rallies. He's an average major league hitter at best.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    That's not a DD-type manuever though. He doesn't jerk players around at all, and I suspect that the thought of exercising the option so that they can trade him never even crossed his mind.
    I'm pretty sure he will look at all options.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

C03BRA is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Love seeing Valverde and Young officially gone. I don't mind tendering Boesch. It won't cost much, he might be tradebait to some degree and he always has the chance at hot streaks. As long as they don't count on him for any major role of course.

I see zero chance that Peralta or Dotel are traded pre-season.

They'll try on Sanchez, but I doubt they pull it off. I'd rather pay a guy like Ervin Santana if we can trade for him and his 1/13 deal or something like that. Free agent pitchers are a huge gamble.
    Santana really? Everyone complains about 1 inning of gopher ball when Benoit is in
    2011 AAT: Chance Ruffin, RP

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

There will not be any trades involving Peralta, he is the 2013 starting SS. Book it!

Quote Originally Posted by C03BRA View Post
    Santana really? Everyone complains about 1 inning of gopher ball when Benoit is in
    If we are talking a trade for a SP, I'd rather have Haren than Santana. But I prefer to just sign Sanchez -- depending upon what it will cost us.

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I assume with the infield all set, we're going all in for a LF'er and to re-sign Annibal.
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by C03BRA View Post
    Someone of that nature is all I really meant. I think we can find a 4th/5th starter without spending 60 mil. I'd rather pay Torri Hunter or part of Soriano's deal or BJ Upton than Sanchez or Santana/Haren.

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I'm okay with both moves, but I'm beginning to grow concerned about the organization's farm system. I like that Garcia seems to be moving nicely, & Avila is a good catcher, but I can't think of anybody else we've developed that's a no-brainer starter on other MLB teams. Dirks is decent. Austin, Prince, Infante, Peralta, Cabrera all came from other organizations.
    All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infantís life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast