Page 43 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,720 of 4421
    froggyvk is offline MotownSports Fan

I'd rather have Niese than Dickey.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    I like Wells, but I don't see why they'd trade one outfielder for another. Doesn't really improve their team. They'd probably give the Tigers a reliever though.
    I just based that post upon this, which indicates they are interested in Boesch...

•The Mariners are interested in Brennan Boesch, though to a much lesser extent than they are Hamilton, according to Danny Knobler of CBS Sports (on Twitter). Boesch is an obvious trade candidate following the Tigers' signing of Torii Hunter.
    Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com: Page Two
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    I just based that post upon this, which indicates they are interested in Boesch...

Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com: Page Two
    I understand they're interested in Boesch. I saw that too. I'm saying it doesn't really make sense to trade an OF for an OF. If they're interested in Boesch, it means they view their OF as a weakness. Therefore, why give up a decent OF? I think the odds they give the Tigers a hard throwing reliever are more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That may be but other teams will be willing to give up more than Porcello + garbage.
    Okay, I'm fine with letting another team trade for him. As I said, I think he's a great story, good pitcher, but not a good trade target. The outlier year, his age, and the fact that you have to extend him immediately makes him a poor acquisition I think.

I understand they're interested in Boesch. I saw that too. I'm saying it doesn't really make sense to trade an OF for an OF. If they're interested in Boesch, it means they view their OF as a weakness. Therefore, why give up a decent OF? I think the odds they give the Tigers a hard throwing reliever are more likely.
    Fine, but you can say the same thing about the Tigers... trading an OF for another OF. It can make sense, in some circumstances. In this case, we need the RHB to platoon with Dirks. Perhaps they think Boesch provides better chance to develop into an every day player. You just never know how a GM will view these players. Anyway, just a thought.

Shelton is online now MotownSports Fan

I'm not sure what wells has done since he left, but it is possible that Seattle would prefer the lefty boesch. It's also possible they might go for a deal of boesch plus a reliever for wells. I don't see why, but you never know. They traded fister to us so maybe they are dumb.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Fine, but you can say the same thing about the Tigers... trading an OF for another OF. It can make sense, in some circumstances. In this case, we need the RHB to platoon with Dirks. Perhaps they think Boesch provides better chance to develop into an every day player. You just never know how a GM will view these players. Anyway, just a thought.
    The outfielders that Seattle has listed on their 40 man are Mike Carp, Franklin Gutierrez, Julio Morban, Carlos Peguero, Mike Saunders, Eric Thames, Casper Wells. Only Gutierrez and Wells hit right handed. So, yeah, I'd say they're probably interested in acquiring Boesch (and in their eyes upgrading in the OF) while dealing a reliever (a place where they're strong). I've been advocating a move for Casper, but I just don't think a trade with Brennan straight up makes sense for both teams. They'd probably want something different.

Wells has not been that impressive since he left. He is a platoon guy with decent defense, that's it. It really shouldn't take more than Boesch to acquire him, IF the Mariners are interested in Boesch to begin with.

F-Rod. I don't love the guy, but I thought I'd throw the name out there and see what kind of response it elicited.

He's kind of in the mold of the type of closers that we have had under DD. Veteran guy who isn't the pitcher he used to be, but still fairly steady. Maybe he signs a 1-year incentive laden deal to close and help us bring along Rondon...

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Andy Dirks has 579 major league PA for his career. He hasn't been being platooned for too long. He wasn't platooned for last year. He had an unsustainable BABIP last year. I wouldn't mind having someone like Casper Wells to platoon with him for next year.

He's only been up since May of 2011, so that's untrue.
    In 2011, Dirks was pretty strictly platooned. He had only 13% of his PA against LHP.

In 2012, he faced LHP 24% in of his PA, while the team had 28% percent of it's total PA against LHP. So last year he was less than 50% platooned. Basically JL last season was willing to play him against all but the toughest LHP or when he thought one of the right handers (Raburn/Garcia) had a particular match-up advantage.

The payoff was that Andy got on base at a 354 rate against LHP. Just for comparison, last year Torii Hunter's OBP against RHP was 351. So Dirk's has held his own in terms of rolling the order over against lefties, he just doesn't bring a lot of ISO.

And also note his OBP success in '12 against LHP was not BaBIP luck, as Dirks's BaBIP against lefties was a reasonable 274. It is more because he has a good eye against LHP - walking at a 10% rate.

I liked what Dirks brought last year a lot. But he is 27 for the '13 season so what we see now is pretty much as much as we are going to get, and that mostly means not a lot of power.

He is really the perfect guy to have on the roster while you are watching young OFs develop. He good enough not to hurt you if you play him, but not so good that if either Garcia or Castellanos are the real deal they are blocked.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 12-04-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

KleShreen is offline Banned

Andy Dirks has 579 major league PA for his career. He hasn't been being platooned for too long. He wasn't platooned for last year. He had an unsustainable BABIP last year. I wouldn't mind having someone like Casper Wells to platoon with him for next year.

He's only been up since May of 2011, so that's untrue.
    For some reason I thought he came up in 2010 and was a righty-only guy. Even then, he has 465 PA against righties and 114 PA against lefties. Against righties, he's at .294/.338/.457/.795 and against lefties he's at .288/.345/.442/.787. What there says he should still continue to be platooned against lefties? I realize it's not a large sample, but you would think if he were to struggle against lefties, it would be early in his career and he clearly isn't. And he might even be better against lefties considering his BABIP is .339 against RHP and only .281 against LHP.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    For some reason I thought he came up in 2010 and was a righty-only guy. Even then, he has 465 PA against righties and 114 PA against lefties. Against righties, he's at .294/.338/.457/.795 and against lefties he's at .288/.345/.442/.787. What there says he should still continue to be platooned against lefties? I realize it's not a large sample, but you would think if he were to struggle against lefties, it would be early in his career and he clearly isn't. And he might even be better against lefties considering his BABIP is .339 against RHP and only .281 against LHP.
    Wells still has a career .840 OPS against lefties, which is a modest upgrade over Dirks and would be likely better than any alternatives should Dirks falter or if an OF gets hurt and they need someone to step in and play OF everyday.

Plus it would mean he or Dirks would likely be on the bench for a pinch hitting or pinch running role on any given day. I'd certainly like him as a 4th OF. Much more so than Berry.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 12-04-2012 at 01:44 PM.

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

imagine the dynamic at work if we got Casper's father back in the fold here.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

A lot of Twitter rumblings that Kelvim Escobar is looking good in winter ball. Any interest in him with an incentive-laden one-year deal, maybe a minor league deal and see if he can take over Porcello or Smyly in the rotation?

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

Doesn't feel like the Tigers are gonna be overly active this year.

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

Mariners just signed Jason Bay, another RH OF. Could make Wells more expendable? Saw a tweet that stated - at his age, Bay is Wells without the defense or upside. Perhaps Seattle has soured on Casper for some reason. If so, would love to see us acquire him for Brennan.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

A Boesch for Wells trade would be great from my standpoint....Wells is pretty good at everything as a platoon guy, and has enough talent where he could fill in as a full timer decently if needed, esp. because he brings a plus glove to the corner OF, and is a decent backup option in CF too.

Seattle may prefer Boesch b/c they see him as more of an everyday player.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

With Casper Wells and Dirks in LF, I would be feeling very good about our OF...not that it's going to necessarily be a plus hitting OF, but everybody would bring at least a decent glove and athleticism/speed (everybody would be able to field every OF position reasonably well), and everybody would have the potential to be average to plus in their respective hitting roles.

I would like that OF a LOT more than any OF we've had in a long time.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    Doesn't feel like the Tigers are gonna be overly active this year.
    We were in the world series this year, and signed one of the best OF's available this winter already. Hard to please everyone I guess. I'd love Sanchez, but if we just end up with a platoon RHB to couple with Dirks, a solid RP, and some depth on minor league deals, I'd consider that a pretty successful offseason.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Arizona making Jason Kubel available. I know he's a LH bat, but could there be any interest there?
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    Arizona making Jason Kubel available. I know he's a LH bat, but could there be any interest there?
    I don't think so, he's really more of a DH.

JayVee is offline MotownSports Fan

Nolasco wants out of Florida. How about a package deal with Porcello, Oliver, and Castellanos for Nolasco and Stanton?

2014 AAT -- #8 Wally Joyner -- Hitting Coach Extraordinaire
    Μολὼν λαβέ -- SONJE HAITI

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    Nolasco wants out of Florida. How about a package deal with Porcello, Oliver, and Castellanos for Nolasco and Stanton?
    Better add Garcia, Rondon, and every other Tiger prospect in the top 10.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    Better add Garcia, Rondon, and every other Tiger prospect in the top 10.
    And that wouldn't even be enough to get Stanton by himself.
    My neighbor thinks I'm following or even stalking her, she is worried that I may be obsessed with her and any time she hears a noise in her house she is...purified? Oh, wait: petrified. Sorry, it's not easy reading a diary through binoculars from a tree.

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post

..seriously?
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

We were in the world series this year, and signed one of the best OF's available this winter already. Hard to please everyone I guess. I'd love Sanchez, but if we just end up with a platoon RHB to couple with Dirks, a solid RP, and some depth on minor league deals, I'd consider that a pretty successful offseason.
    I don't think I said anything about being upset about it. It just doesn't feel like the Tigers are looking to make a splash this year at the winter meetings.

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    On a side note, it seems like it'd be awfully hard to spend 50 million, even with a large family.
    Tell that to MC Hammer...
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

The Tigers usually strike early and late. They got Hunter. Now, I think they are waiting for the market to calm down. Then they'll probably add a couple of others pieces later - maybe middle reliever, cheap RH outfielder, back-up catcher.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    The Tigers usually strike early and late. They got Hunter. Now, I think they are waiting for the market to calm down. Then they'll probably add a couple of others pieces later - maybe middle reliever, cheap RH outfielder, back-up catcher.
    Yeah. i was wondering if they'd make some sort of move at SS. But I think this is likely. Maybe they surprise but I dunno if they are in the mode to do anything huge.

Apparently the Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Cliff Lee + cash for Upton. I don't think the Tigers could beat that offer, even with a "down" year from Lee last season.

RatkoVarda is offline MotownSports Fan

Beck: some team(s) has asked about Ramon? Tigers save $1.6M to go with Worth instead

Jason Beck
    ‏@beckjason 47m One unexpected name that came up at winter meetings: Ramon Santiago. Not sure #Tigers move him, but could draw interest.

Victorino to Bos for 3/$38?

maybe Ross gets no good offer, and DD lands him late for Gomes $$, 2/$10m
    Last edited by RatkoVarda; 12-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RatkoVarda View Post
    Beck: some team(s) has asked about Ramon? Tigers save $1.6M to go with Worth instead

Jason Beck
    ‏@beckjason 47m One unexpected name that came up at winter meetings: Ramon Santiago. Not sure #Tigers move him, but could draw interest.
    Is Ramon tearing up the winter league or something. I'd be pretty tempted to let someone have him if they want him enough to pay his salary.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Apparently the Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Cliff Lee + cash for Upton. I don't think the Tigers could beat that offer, even with a "down" year from Lee last season.
    I for one think that the fans who pushing for Upton to become a Tiger would probably be disappointed with him away from the BOB.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

froggyvk is offline MotownSports Fan

The Red Sox are cracking me up.

macedonian bengal is offline MotownSports Fan

H
    Quote Originally Posted by RatkoVarda View Post
    Correct. Raburn was released. Gomes has signed. Hairston wants the same deal. Victorino, Ross want 3 years.
    Moving down one level, you can get Juan Rivera or Jason Bay or Matt Diaz or Ben Francisco.
    Rivera is Venezuelan. I think Bay would be worth a look.
    Based on Dombrowski's comments...it doesnt sound like they're thinking very big as far as Dirks' platoon partner. Someone fairly cheap, and who will get about 40-60 games of playing time and 120-200 PAs max.

Matt Diaz could be a great pickup if this is the case. NICE career # s vs. Lhps, good pinch hitter, solid defensively.
    Reed Johnson would be anothet good platoon partner offensively, but hes kinda clumsy
    defensively. I m not as high on Jaun Rivera or Ben
    Francisco, but im prepared to be dissapointed, i guess.
    2014 AAT Lhp Kevin Ziomek

Walt is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Is Ramon tearing up the winter league or something. I'd be pretty tempted to let someone have him if they want him enough to pay his salary.
    The tigers will need him to back up the infield since worth will be the starting shortstop. That what Lynn keeps trying to tell me anyway. :-P
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

Quote Originally Posted by macedonian bengal View Post
    Matt Diaz could be a great pickup if this is the case. NICE career # s vs. Lhps, good pinch hitter, solid defensively.
    Diaz is 34 years old, washed up and a poor defender in LF/RF. He hasn't even managed to OPS over 755 vs. LHP since 2010, and in the five seasons spanning 2008 - 2012 he only OPS over 755 twice vs. LHP (2009 and 2010), and he has basically zero power now. Not even a passable option.

Reed Johnson would be anothet good platoon partner offensively, but hes kinda clumsy defensively. I m not as high on Jaun Rivera or Ben Francisco, but im prepared to be dissapointed, i guess.
    Reed Johnson is basically no different from Diaz. Older, poor defender, zero power, mediocre singles hitter against LHP at *best*....not even Delmon Young level against LHP.

Rivera and Francisco are also part of the over-30 washed-up crowd, who like Diaz and Johnson are below average in the field, and complete non-threats hitting-wise, even against LHP.

No, no, no...if DD signs any of these stiffs I would be quite unhappy. This doesn't seem like an important player-slot to fill, but it could become important, esp. if Dirks has performance/Achilles issues.

Absent a signing of Cody Ross, DD needs to make a modest trade to get someone who is versatile defensively and who can hit lefties reasonably well. Casper Wells would be a very good fit.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

If we're looking for someone to fill in vs. lefties for a year, who cares how old he is.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Page 43 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast