Page 42 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,680 of 4421
    john doe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Shangri la in the Summer, Timbuktu in the Winter

"Scott Hairston is too expensive for the Tigers"....Definition....:"Scott Hairston is not worth what he's asking". The Tigers aren't going to rip Players or Agents this early in the "process". D.D. has a reputation of being an honest negotiator even if it is an "act", which I personally, do not believe it is.
    It's pronounced Canada, and no, I haven't.

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drownwithyou View Post
    Do we know that he cares about any of that? Maybe the dude just wants all the money he can get before he retires.
    And I can't (also, won't) fault him if that's what he wants.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

How much is there between Hairston and Avisail Garcia? At some point we should just go with him. For that matter, how much better is Hairston than Delmon?

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    How much is there between Hairston and Avisail Garcia? At some point we should just go with him. For that matter, how much better is Hairston than Delmon?
    I'd imagine they want Garcia playing full time against both lefties and righties to develop a (hopefully) good approach against both types of pitchers. It might make sense to use him in a platoon, but perhaps they don't want to hinder his development in that sense.
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by drownwithyou View Post
    I'd imagine they want Garcia playing full time against both lefties and righties to develop a (hopefully) good approach against both types of pitchers. It might make sense to use him in a platoon, but perhaps they don't want to hinder his development in that sense.
    Agree with this. Avi needs time to develop his approach. AAA should be a challenge for him. When it's not, he can get the call.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

Speaking of avi I still think he starts in Erie. There is no rush and he had little time there last year. Then again his winter league performance could change that.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Biggest thing from Dombro/Leyland presser: Castellanos closing in on Detroit. "Impact bat -- now," Dombro said, quoting MLB Bureau scouts.

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Dombrowski also made clear Avisail Garcia could win a job in spring. Tigers, though, won't carry Garcia/Castellanos as part-timers. #hmmmmm

Chris Iott ‏@Chris_Iott
    Victor Martinez is hitting off a tee and running. Doing great, according to Dave Dombrowski. #Tigers

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    Sounds like 4 Years 40M
    For Pagan that's stupid money.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

ben9753 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    For Pagan that's stupid money.
    I don't think so. 10 mil is what an average player gets these days. Delmon got 6 1/2. And he was arguably the worst player in the AL.

detroit_tigers ‏@TigersMLive

Report: Detroit Tigers offer free-agent outfielder Scott Hairston a two-year deal Report: Detroit Tigers offer free-agent outfielder Scott Hairston a two-year deal | MLive.com
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Marlins actively shopping Yunel Escobar. A's are in as is a mystery team...

The Fish Pond

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    Marlins actively shopping Yunel Escobar. A's are in as is a mystery team...

The Fish Pond
    I'd take Escobar over Peralta

Sounds like TB is the other team in on Escobar...

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    Sources: #Rays pursuing #Marlins’ Escobar to be everyday shortstop. #Athletics also could be in play.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ben9753 View Post
    I don't think so. 10 mil is what an average player gets these days. Delmon got 6 1/2. And he was arguably the worst player in the AL.
    The Tiger's poor choice to pay Young $6.75MM was likely based on the gamble that he would be an average player in 2012. Unfortunately, he was not. But I don't see how this is justification for giving Pagan 4/$40MM. But this isn't really a comp, given one is a FA and the other was under team control.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post

Report: Detroit Tigers offer free-agent outfielder Scott Hairston a two-year deal Report: Detroit Tigers offer free-agent outfielder Scott Hairston a two-year deal | MLive.com
    LOL

Dave Dombrowski: Detroit Tigers have not offered multi-year deal to free-agent outfielder Dave Dombrowski: Detroit Tigers have not offered multi-year deal to free-agent outfielder | MLive.com
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm not sure what the attraction is to Scott Hairston. He's 32 years old, a so-so fielder at best in LF and a hack as a hitter, and is pretty good against LHP generally (825 career OPS vs LHP), but he's not a killer there either. He's basically Ryan Raburn without the bad 2012 season.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Elevate is offline MotownSports Fan

I'd still love to see DD get Justin Upton. Sounds like him leaving Arizona is imminent. Castellanos + Garcia is a no-brainer IMO.

Yeah, let's trade our only two plus positional prospects for a LFer with a .730 career road OPS. Real no-brainer.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

thefunk is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't really participate in off season threads, so consider this important.

Why the living eff isn't Anibal our number one priority right now? When he turned it on in his last 7 starts or so, it seriously took us over the top.

Not my money. I know. I don't care. Sign him!
    GO TIGERS

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    I'm not sure what the attraction is to Scott Hairston. He's 32 years old, a so-so fielder at best in LF and a hack as a hitter, and is pretty good against LHP generally (825 career OPS vs LHP), but he's not a killer there either. He's basically Ryan Raburn without the bad 2012 season.
    Ryan Raburn without the bad 2012 is exactly what they are looking for. THat's the perfect player to platoon with Dirks.

roarintiger1 is offline MotownSports Fan

The Tigers don't need another player to platoon with Dirks.....He would do just fine as a fulltime player.

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by roarintiger1 View Post
    The Tigers don't need another player to platoon with Dirks.....He would do just fine as a fulltime player.
    It's not my money, but for $1M or $2M I'd rather have some insurance "just in case". Remember, Dirks missed 2 months with an injury just last year....
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Ryan Raburn without the bad 2012 is exactly what they are looking for. THat's the perfect player to platoon with Dirks.
    But Dirks is not the perfect player to platoon...his L/R splits are basically non-existent....and he's still an enigma as a semi-regular/full-time player, with minor/major league outcomes that support anything from a 725 to an 850 OPS. Poor hitting and/or injury issues with the Achilles could require the platoon partner to become more of a regular, too.

I guess my overarching point is that I'd prefer if the platoon guy was either really good at one thing (power, fielding, on-base) or just decent enough at everything to compete with Dirks and replace him as the regular starter in LF if necessary. I don't see that in Hairston. I didn't see that necessarily in Gomes, either, but at least in his case he could absolutely demolish LHP.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Not much else to choose from.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

But Dirks is not the perfect player to platoon...his L/R splits are basically non-existent....and he's still an enigma as a semi-regular/full-time player, with minor/major league outcomes that support anything from a 725 to an 850 OPS. Poor hitting and/or injury issues with the Achilles could require the platoon partner to become more of a regular, too.

I guess my overarching point is that I'd prefer if the platoon guy was either really good at one thing (power, fielding, on-base) or just decent enough at everything to compete with Dirks and replace him as the regular starter in LF if necessary. I don't see that in Hairston. I didn't see that necessarily in Gomes, either, but at least in his case he could absolutely demolish LHP.
    I don't think you can put much stock into dirks's L/R splits if they don't show much difference. He hasn't had nearly enough at bats against LHP to feel confident in those numbers.

It's so rare for a lefty to be able to do that, that unless he is an elite level hitter, like prince, it makes a lot of sense to platoon him. I would say that about almost all lefties, unless they were elite in the field where you could justify keeping them in the lineup, regardless.

I'd love a pre 2012 raburn type, but not for two years.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

KleShreen is offline Banned

Just a thought I'm throwing out there...and the only reason I mention it is because it seems like something crazy Dombrowski would pull off. What is everyone's thoughts on Dickey considering the Mets are actively shopping him? Would you take him if it didn't cost Castellanos *or* Garcia? Something like Porcello, Boesch and Oliver for Dickey and maybe a reliever prospect? He's under contract next season for 5 million. I'm not too concerned with his age because you can be an effective knuckleballer all the way to 42/43 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    I don't think you can put much stock into dirks's L/R splits if they don't show much difference. He hasn't had nearly enough at bats against LHP to feel confident in those numbers.

It's so rare for a lefty to be able to do that, that unless he is an elite level hitter, like prince, it makes a lot of sense to platoon him. I would say that about almost all lefties, unless they were elite in the field where you could justify keeping them in the lineup, regardless.

I'm of the thought process that if you keep platooning guys for too long (which I think Dirks is getting to that point), you are going to HAVE to do a platoon with them for their whole careers and I'm not a fan of that. Dirks is a talented hitter, I would rather sacrifice a couple points in the batting average against lefties to get him experience in hitting lefties. He's been a platoon guy for three seasons now. Eventually, any skill he has at hitting lefties at all is going to deteriorate and then you're stuck having to platoon him for as long as you have him. I would feel very confident in letting him start every day and if he struggles against lefties, then yea, pinch-hit for him in late game situations.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post

When Dirks came first came up, he was bailing pretty badly when facing lefties and I seem to even remember JL noting how over matched he was. Since the, at least in terms of his ability to stand in, he has improved noticeably. Of course being able to stand in there is still only a first step to actually being able to hit the ball, but it does indicate some level of progress in the right direction. His numbers against LHP so far are not bad but are of limited value value since JL hasn't let him face many tough ones.

I think Dirks's bigger limitation may just be that he doesn't hit for the kind of power you'd like to see in a corner.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Just a thought I'm throwing out there...and the only reason I mention it is because it seems like something crazy Dombrowski would pull off. What is everyone's thoughts on Dickey considering the Mets are actively shopping him? Would you take him if it didn't cost Castellanos *or* Garcia? Something like Porcello, Boesch and Oliver for Dickey and maybe a reliever prospect? He's under contract next season for 5 million. I'm not too concerned with his age because you can be an effective knuckleballer all the way to 42/43 years old.
    Might be interesting to sandwich him between JV & Max, it couldn't help batter's timing.
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Saw this as intriguing on MLB Trade Rumors:

The Mets consider Bobby Parnell to be "virtually untouchable" right now, according to ESPN's Adam Rubin. The Tigers tried to acquire Parnell last season but were rejected, according to Rubin. That could explain the report shortly after last year's Winter Meetings that the Mets had considered dealing the flamethrower to an unknown team.
    Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

28 other teams can beat the package you're proposing. It would absolutely take probably both of Castellanos and Garcia. Throw-in names like Boesch and Oliver and worthless in deals like this. So you're basically trading Porcello for Dickey. Porcello, the guy that's about to get expensive next year. I'm not sure why the Mets would want him so badly that they'd trade Dickey to get him.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

RatkoVarda is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    Not much else to choose from.
    Correct. Raburn was released. Gomes has signed. Hairston wants the same deal. Victorino, Ross want 3 years.
    Moving down one level, you can get Juan Rivera or Jason Bay or Matt Diaz or Ben Francisco.
    Rivera is Venezuelan. I think Bay would be worth a look.

I actually thought the Nationals were likely in the mix for Sanchez, so after signing Haren, you'd assume that they are out.

If Seattle is really interested in Boesch, as reported, doesn't a Boesch-Wells flip make some sense? Maybe we traded the wrong guy... As others have previously stated, a Dirks/Wells platoon looks pretty decent. All Ferndale beatdowns aside....

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Why would the Mets trade Dickey, the reigning NL Cy Young winner, for Porcello and a bunch of garbage throw-ins? It would cost one or both of Castellanos and Garcia. Probably more.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    Why would the Mets trade Dickey, the reigning NL Cy Young winner, for Porcello and a bunch of garbage throw-ins? It would cost one or both of Castellanos and Garcia. Probably more.
    2012 screams outlier. I think Dicky will still be effective without all the K's, but I'd be very hesitant to give up much to pick up a 38 year old and think that he will continue this kind of performance. Not to mention he's under contract for 1 year, so you almost have to extend the guy ASAP to justify losing the prospects to get him... which again, not something I want to do with a 38 year old.

He's a great story, and a good pitcher, but not a good trade target.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm of the thought process that if you keep platooning guys for too long (which I think Dirks is getting to that point), you are going to HAVE to do a platoon with them for their whole careers and I'm not a fan of that. Dirks is a talented hitter, I would rather sacrifice a couple points in the batting average against lefties to get him experience in hitting lefties.
    Andy Dirks has 579 major league PA for his career. He hasn't been being platooned for too long. He wasn't platooned for last year. He had an unsustainable BABIP last year. I wouldn't mind having someone like Casper Wells to platoon with him for next year.

He's been a platoon guy for three seasons now.
    He's only been up since May of 2011, so that's untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    If Seattle is really interested in Boesch, as reported, doesn't a Boesch-Wells flip make some sense? Maybe we traded the wrong guy... As others have previously stated, a Dirks/Wells platoon looks pretty decent. All Ferndale beatdowns aside....
    I like Wells, but I don't see why they'd trade one outfielder for another. Doesn't really improve their team. They'd probably give the Tigers a reliever though.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

2012 screams outlier. I think Dicky will still be effective without all the K's, but I'd be very hesitant to give up much to pick up a 38 year old and think that he will continue this kind of performance. Not to mention he's under contract for 1 year, so you almost have to extend the guy ASAP to justify losing the prospects to get him... which again, not something I want to do with a 38 year old.

That may be but other teams will be willing to give up more than Porcello + garbage.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Agree with all this. Plus you have to get someone to catch him.

Page 42 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast