Page 35 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,400 of 4421
    TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. I desperately want to believe that we aren't seriously interested in signing Soriano.
    A physicist, a chemist, and an economist were stranded on an island with no implements and a can of food. The physicist and the chemist each devised an ingenious mechanism for getting the can open; the economist merely said, "Assume we have a can opener"!

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheCouga View Post
    I wonder if DD and Boras have an agreement: allow a better deal on Drew in exchange for not denying rumors that drive up Soriano's value.
    I think Stephen Drew would have a opinion on that.

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

lose another 1st round pick? Please tell me this isn't happening. Please tell me this is Boras exaggerating.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

RatkoVarda is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheCouga View Post
    Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. I desperately want to believe that we aren't seriously interested in signing Soriano.
    It's not wishful thinking, it's true. DD and Avila are not interested. And that's why Boars needs to go over their heads.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I hope we sign soriano because it means that this team has no budget.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    Say No to Soriano.
    I'd rather they look at Soria.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

At his age, I don't think Illitch minds losing these first round picks, especially when he has two this year.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Its fine to lose a pick, but not for Soriano.

benrush is offline MotownSports Fan

Boras made a major mistake evaluating the market by advising Soriano to decline a lucrative guranteed contract. The Yankees one upped the Boras camp by offering arbitration. Now Boras has zero interest and the Yankees are probably going to recind their original offer with less money, since that is what the market bares. Boras calling Illitch is a last ditch attempt to drive up interest so that he can save face with his ill advisement with Rafael. At this point the only team interested is the Yankees, and Boras knows he's in serious trouble!

The Tigers needed to move quickly on Drew to give them ample time to deal Peralta. At this point, Drew's two main suitors are Boston and us, two teams Boras thought would be driving up the value on Soriano. I don't see any reason for Boras to move quickly on Drew and will probably wait it out until after some of the big name guys are off the board. That's why I believe the two are going to be linked. Drew is a rebuild client and Soriano is the big name multi-year guy. Both are linked until Soriano finally signs with the Yankees.

clemma is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't see Soriano going back to the Yankees with Rivera coming back. Apparently, Rivera will only get $11M for one season--Boras can't let Soriano take less than that and the Yankees won't pay him more, especially to set-up.

I guess we won't know what will happen until Sanchez decision is made. If they don't spend on him...they might sign an expensive other FA. It does look like Sanchez is going to get a lot but the market seems to think he's staying.

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm all for this.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
    Brennan Boesch has garnered trade interest from multiple teams. One source believes Boesch could be dealt during winter meetings.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I was just about to post the same. My guess it will be for a hard-throwing reliever with a 5+ ERA in A-ball.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I was just about to post the same. My guess it will be for a hard-throwing reliever with a 5+ ERA in A-ball.
    Yeah, I'd prefer to keep Boesch around. He's cheap, and can still hit the ball a long ways once in a while.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    Yeah, I'd prefer to keep Boesch around. He's cheap, and can still hit the ball a long ways once in a while.
    Ironically, you'd almost prefer a part time left hand OF with a bigger platoon split than Boesch. Brennan does hit most of his HRs against righties, but that isn't many anyway and his overall OBP against RHP isn't really such that you have much motivation to play him against a tough right hand pitcher.
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't know. He'll be 28 next April. I think we've seen what he can be, and it isn't much. Can't hit enough to compensate for his poor fielding. Can't field enough to compensate for his poor hitting. Sure he's got power, but he just can't make enough solid contact. His biggest asset right now is that he is cheap and has minor league options. I suppose he could be roster depth in Toledo in case there are a rash of injuries to the OF. But if they can get a young guy in exchange for him, why not take the chance and see if Dombrowski can pluck someone of use from another organization. Yoda is probably correct that it isn't going to be a trade for someone that appears to be useful now, but who knows, maybe the hard throwing reliever with the 5+ ERA needs to change his approach and gets the chance with another team?

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    I don't know. He'll be 28 next April. I think we've seen what he can be, and it isn't much. Can't hit enough to compensate for his poor fielding. Can't field enough to compensate for his poor hitting. Sure he's got power, but he just can't make enough solid contact. His biggest asset right now is that he is cheap and has minor league options. I suppose he could be roster depth in Toledo in case there are a rash of injuries to the OF. But if they can get a young guy in exchange for him, why not take the chance and see if Dombrowski can pluck someone of use from another organization. Yoda is probably correct that it isn't going to be a trade for someone that appears to be useful now, but who knows, maybe the hard throwing reliever with the 5+ ERA needs to change his approach and gets the chance with another team?
    You mean we aren't going to get Upton or Tulo straight up for him?
    Micah 7:7

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    You mean we aren't going to get Upton or Tulo straight up for him?
    I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that that probably will not happen. But hey, maybe at the winter meetings Dombrowski takes some of the other GMs down to the hotel bar, and they do some shots, and......

toadhunter911 is offline MotownSports Fan

At this point, I'd take a bag of game used MLB Official, pine tar scuffed baseballs for Boesch.
    “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NIV84

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Actually, his biggest failing I think is the fact that he has shown basically zero power, especially for a corner OFer.

Basically he's been a low/slow groundball machine....even in the rare occassions that he hits a flyball, his HR/FB% has always been unimpressive (about 10%, very average).

I had hoped after 2011 that entering his athletic prime, he'd enjoy a couple peak years, learn to elevate the ball consistently, and have a couple of .280/340/480 seasons with 20+ HR, without hurting us too much in the field. Boy was I wrong.

A bad club that needs to fill a starting OF position will probably come a' knockin'...but frankly at this point Boesch looks like the second coming of Kevin Witt.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

theroundsquare is offline MotownSports Fan

Buster Olney's Insider blog this morning says that the Tigers have let other teams know that they're willing to listen to proposals for Rick Porcello. Doesn't say anything more than that.

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    I would give Boesch one more year. He is cheap and IMO has some potential. I just get the feeling something was going on with him personally this year that took away his attention.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
    At this point, I'd take a bag of game used MLB Official, pine tar scuffed baseballs for Boesch.
    I don't understand this kind of attitude. Boesch had a two month period in 2010 where he OPS'd 1.000 and was one of the best hitters in the game. In 2011 he had a two month period where he OPS'd in excess of .925 as well. So it's clear there is talent to work with, the problem is just getting consistency and avoiding the abysmal droughts he tends to go through.

I don't know if he'll ever hit well again, and I understand why people would be down on him, but there's no reason to just regulate him as junk.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    I would give Boesch one more year. He is cheap and IMO has some potential. I just get the feeling something was going on with him personally this year that took away his attention.
    I blame it on Inge. All the turmoil there shook Boesch's world.....either that or Delmon gave him the stink eye for wearing his yarmulke in Lakeland and he never got over it.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
    Actually, his biggest failing I think is the fact that he has shown basically zero power, especially for a corner OFer.

Basically he's been a low/slow groundball machine....even in the rare occassions that he hits a flyball, his HR/FB% has always been unimpressive (about 10%, very average).

I had hoped after 2011 that entering his athletic prime, he'd enjoy a couple peak years, learn to elevate the ball consistently, and have a couple of .280/340/480 seasons with 20+ HR, without hurting us too much in the field. Boy was I wrong.

A bad club that needs to fill a starting OF position will probably come a' knockin'...but frankly at this point Boesch looks like the second coming of Kevin Witt.
    Right, he can hit the ball far on occasion but he hit more than 20 homers just once in his his entire professional career (in 2009 in AA). In 3,444 professional at bats, he has 95 home runs. That is just 1 every 36 at bats. That's not terrible, but it's not the mark of a budding slugger. In comparison, Marcus Thames hit 1 homer every 22 at bats professionally.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Boesch isn't good at anything and isn't young. Zero more chances please.
    Kobernoooooous

I kinda wonder...if Boesch entire process was disrupted by being in the same BP group with Prince and Miggy in Spring Training. The stories about them all trying to top one another seem to have been bad mojo. Idle speculation from an idle speculator.

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    I don't understand this kind of attitude. Boesch had a two month period in 2010 where he OPS'd 1.000 and was one of the best hitters in the game. In 2011 he had a two month period where he OPS'd in excess of .925 as well. So it's clear there is talent to work with, the problem is just getting consistency and avoiding the abysmal droughts he tends to go through.

I don't know if he'll ever hit well again, and I understand why people would be down on him, but there's no reason to just regulate him as junk.
    Just because he's had a few hot streaks doesn't mean he's going to be good. Several players who aren't good have outstanding months from time to time. It doesn't mean anything. Boesch isn't as bad as he was in 2012, but he's not a whole lot better.

Brennan Boesch, over 500 AB, would give you something like .260/.310/.420 with bad defense. Not really worth holding on to.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post
    Just because he's had a few hot streaks doesn't mean he's going to be good. Several players who aren't good have outstanding months from time to time. It doesn't mean anything. Boesch isn't as bad as he was in 2012, but he's not a whole lot better.

Brennan Boesch, over 500 AB, would give you something like .260/.310/.420 with bad defense. Not really worth holding on to.
    Devil's advocate here,

When Victor Martinez contract expires at the end of the 2014 season, do you know of any left handed/power hitting/in-house/cheap players that might be able to fill in at the DH spot??
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

Boesch is a left handed Delmon Young. With less power, and older. With -maybe- worse defense.

I think the Tigers can find someone to replace Victor. If they settle for someone like Boesch, that's a massive failure.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Because there are plenty of mid 700's OPS guys who go through a really good 150-200 AB stretch every once in awhile.

Multi-month periods of greatness, on several occassions, is not the mark of a guy who just had a hot streak. It signifies some amount of talent that could potentially be unlocked. Whether or not that happens, I don't know. But he's cheap and has options left, so we have no reason not to see what might happen.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    Because there are plenty of mid 700's OPS guys who go through a really good 150-200 AB stretch every once in awhile.
    No, there are not many examples of players who have done this multiple times.

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Boesch is a left handed Delmon Young. With less power, and older. With -maybe- worse defense.

I think the Tigers can find someone to replace Victor. If they settle for someone like Boesch, that's a massive failure.
    The point is, the Tigers will pay Boesch very minimally this year and frankly, even if the Tigers cut Boesch, his replacement on the roster will still cost at least $500K anyway. There is no harm in letting Boesch stay with the Tigers organization (think AAA) for 2013 (he's not blocking any Al Kaline Jr's from advancing either) and see what he does. And if there is improvement he may be able to help the Tigers with a DH problem at the end of the 2014 season. If not the Tigers will still find another solution later....
    Last edited by STLTiger69; 11-28-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

I agree with that. There's no harm keeping him. But if we're judging ballplayers on how little they'll harm the club to keep them, it doesn't really make a compelling point to keep them, either.

You guys wouldn't want anything to do with Boesch if he was on a different team.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

TigerNation is offline MotownSports Fan

No, there are not many examples of players who have done this multiple times.
    Off the top of my head, Craig Monroe, Chris Shelton, Marcus Thames, Delmon Young and Ryan Raburn have.

And that's just Tigers players in recent years.

So yeah, it does happen frequently.
    Last edited by TigerNation; 11-28-2012 at 01:22 PM.

A few teams like Boston,Seattle and Texas are apparently going for Napoli as mostly a 1B, for 3-4 years. This leads me to ask, would any or all of them prefer Victor Martinez for 2 years instead and would Tiger fans consider trading Victor? I Probably wouldn't, but the argument would be that its a lot of salary freed up(does this matter to us? IDK) and he DH spot is kind of easy to fill and is a good spot to rest Cabby and Prince. Plus you might get a decent piece in return. Maybe an Andrew Bailey or Ogando even?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Isn't Martinez signed through 2014 rather than to 2014?
    Yes

Page 35 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast