Page 34 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,360 of 4421
    catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    Switching gears...was rewatching MLB at bat app highlights of the season... We stunk for a large part of this season. I really think our fans showing up in the interleague games in Cinnci and Chicago saved our season...we were like 5 games under .500 until then.

Also amusing to see the Yankees were 20 games over .500 at that point
    That Chicago series is also when Phil Coke said "Bear with us. It's happening," and almost everyone laughed at him.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: Josť Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

Dusty is offline MotownSports Fan

David Schoenfiled from ESPN's Sweet Spot proposes this blockbuster:

Detroit Tigers trade 3B Nick Castellanos, SS Jhonny Peralta, OF Avisail Garcia and LHP Casey Crosby to the Baltimore Orioles for SS J.J. Hardy, RHP Jim Johnson and LHP Troy Patton

Five blockbuster trade suggestions - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

What are your thoughts on this?
    2010 Adopt-A-Tiger pick: SP Lauren Gagnier

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I don't think Baltimore would touch that. Unless they're in sell mode which I don't think is the case. I think they're in for a huge regress next year but they still probably think they can win.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Baltimore would do that in a heartbeat. Machacho would move to this normal spot of SS, Peralta or Castellanos would become 3B. Patton finally figured out to pitch at the end of the year out of the pen, and Johnson could be filled by a few other people in their 2012 pen.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

Detroit Tigers trade 3B Nick Castellanos, SS Jhonny Peralta, OF Avisail Garcia and LHP Casey Crosby to the Baltimore Orioles for SS J.J. Hardy, RHP Jim Johnson and LHP Troy Patton

I have coveted JJ Hardy for the longest time, and I've advocated a package inclusive of Peralta to get Hardy since the latter part of the 2012 season....however giving up our two best prospects seems really steep for the return.

Hardy>>Peralta
    Patton>Crosby
    Jim Johnson<Nicky+Avisail

No offense to Jim Johnson fans, the guy is a good reliever, but he's going to be 30 in 2013 and he was never a plus pitcher of any kind for 50+ innings in a season until 2011....he's what Rick Porcello would look like as a successful relief pitcher.

I just don't see how Hardy and Patton are that much better than Peralta and Crosby to the extent where we need to deal away the rest of the farm.

I'm generally a guy who prefers proven performance over prospects, especially now that we're in the title hunt...but it seems to me that we can't deal away all of our farm system and get 30+ year old players and a late-20's reliever project (Patton) in return. If we were getting some other Baltimore youth in the deal, then let's see, but otherwise this is an unbalanced deal that would leave our cupboard completely bare.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

That deal is garbage.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Yah, that's just stupid. Hardy is a very minor upgrade on Peralta and I don't have any interesting in trading good prospects for a freakin' reliever. I don't know much about Patton, but unless he's Matt Moore v.2.0, no thank you.

Imminent Threat is offline MotownSports Fan

Count me in with the last couple guys. Even without including Garcia or Castellanos that deal is one sided. At least in my opinion. Giving up a ton of young could be types for a sure thing SS (defensively) and a bunch of guys who could revert back to what they have always been.
    AAT 11' Victor Martinez
    AAL 10' Jim Schwartz

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

If they're going to give up Castellanos, I hope it's for more than JJ Hardy, Jim Johnson and/or Troy Patton.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: Josť Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

When I see this kind of garbage, I think people really are grasping straws at some sort of perceived need due lack of an experienced "closer". If it was such a big need, I'm sure we'd be kicking the tires on Soriano, Soria, or Madson right now. Not dealing away our two top prospects for a minor SS upgrade and a closer who doesn't strike guys out.
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

If the Tigers are going to add a solid BP arm, Soria is the guy I'd like to see them go after, especially if they can get him on a 1 year deal.

With 4 years left on his deal, Longoria gets a 6 year/100 million dollar extension from the Rays. I hope the Tigers surprise us all with an extension for Verlander and/or Cabrera this offseason.

Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay Rays agree to $100 million extension - ESPN

They've really handled Longoria's contract well, twice now. Good move by a good organization.

I said a year ago we should have offered JV a 4/100 extension. Its a bit high on AAV, but shorter than the years we are going to end up giving him. Oh well.

Tigers sign 19 minor leaguers:

Here are the 19 players the Tigers have signed, per Monday's announcement:

Right-handers: Trevor Bell, Cesar Carrillo, Shane Dyer, Shawn Hill, Micah Kellogg, David Kopp, Victor Larez, Carlos Monasterios, Jesse Todd

Left-handers: Jose Alvarez, Ramon Garcia, Efrain Nieves

Catcher: Brad Davis

Infielders: Argenis Diaz, Lance Durham, John Lindsey

Infielders/outfielders: Marcus Lemon, Kevin Russo, Matt Tuiasosopo

Tigers sign 19 to minor league contracts; some stand out | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Well we can trade Jackson now.

Jason Beck ‏@beckjason

Former #Tigers, Nats outfielder Nook Logan working out for teams this week in Arizona. Hasn't played since 2010, but trying comeback.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Keep Jackson. Put Logan at shortstop.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Well, that would put a damper on my plan to sign Inge to play SS.
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

spikesglaring is offline MotownSports Fan

The Royals are dangling Wil Myers for pitchers like James Shields & Jon Lester, according to the Kansas City Star.

Boy, I'd love for the Tigers to swoop in & grab Myers. Young hitters like him do not come along often enough, so I would think Boston or Tampa would jump all over that idea.

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by spikesglaring View Post
    The Royals are dangling Wil Myers for pitchers like James Shields & Jon Lester, according to the Kansas City Star.

Boy, I'd love for the Tigers to swoop in & grab Myers. Young hitters like him do not come along often enough, so I would think Boston or Tampa would jump all over that idea.
    That would be insane if we could get Myers. There's no way the Royals would trade him within the division, unfortunately. A future outfield of Myers/Castellanos/Garcia would be pretty awesome.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

It's remarkable how similar Myers and Castellanos were at the same age.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

spikesglaring is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheCouga View Post
    That would be insane if we could get Myers. There's no way the Royals would trade him within the division, unfortunately. A future outfield of Myers/Castellanos/Garcia would be pretty awesome.
    Jackson is pretty young, so I'd probably daydream of Garcia/Jackson/Myers with Castellanos at 3B, Miggy at 1B, & Prince at DH (where he belongs).

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    Well we can trade Jackson now.
    Nook Logan - The Quentin Berry of 2013

Mark it down
    Kobernoooooous

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

I keep hearing about the "National Baseball Deal" being renegotiated. Does this mean MORE Joe Buck, more Tim McCarver? Could they develop multi-audio feeds for directv broadcasts that seemlessly simulcast local radio feeds with the video sooner?
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

KleShreen is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spikesglaring View Post
    Jackson is pretty young, so I'd probably daydream of Garcia/Jackson/Myers with Castellanos at 3B, Miggy at 1B, & Prince at DH (where he belongs).
    Except Prince will never be a full-time DH because he said he didn't want to be. If the Tigers ever stick him there for a considerable amount of time, it's gonna turn in to a problem for the team.

SacBunt is offline MotownSports Fan

I keep hearing about the "National Baseball Deal" being renegotiated. Does this mean MORE Joe Buck, more Tim McCarver? Could they develop multi-audio feeds for directv broadcasts that seemlessly simulcast local radio feeds with the video sooner?
    Or even better - have multiple announcer teams and allow me to choose one. The network could provide audio channels for the old school announcing duo, the young stat-based duo, the comedic duo bent more on entertainment (with guests every inning), and the McCarver/Buck channel.
    2014 AAT First Steve Lombardozzi Jr., then Alex Gonzalez, then Danny Worth

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Ken_Rosenthal: Peter Gammons (@pgammo) just said on @MLBNetwork's Hot Stove that #TIgers owner Ilitch spoke with Boras about Soriano on Monday.

Paying a reliever 35-40MM for 3 years is just about the worst possible way to allocate funds. There's no way that someone as fungible as a reliever could provide that much value unless they gave up 20 runs in those 180 innings.

Not to mention, the Tigers would have to surrender a first rounder. If you want to spend 35-40MM that bad, flip Scherzer for a bunch of prospects or young MLB talent, and trade for Cliff Lee. He's due to make about 35-40MM more than Scherzer the next 3 years.
    Last edited by alwaysthrowheat; 11-27-2012 at 10:05 AM.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    Ken_Rosenthal: Peter Gammons (@pgammo) just said on @MLBNetwork's Hot Stove that #TIgers owner Ilitch spoke with Boras about Soriano on Monday.

Paying a reliever 35-40MM for 3 years is just about the worst possible way to allocate funds. There's no way that someone as fungible as a reliever could provide that much value unless they gave up 20 runs in those 180 innings.

Not to mention, the Tigers would have to surrender a first rounder. If you want to spend 35-40MM that bad, flip Scherzer for a bunch of prospects or young MLB talent, and trade for Cliff Lee. He's due to make about 35-40MM more than Scherzer the next 3 years.
    Agree completely and will be very disappointed if we sign Soriano. I'd much rather see us put those $ into Sanchez if we want to spend them. I really think we are fine in the back end of our pen, at least not bad enough to pay what it would take to get Soriano for the bit of an upgrade he would be.
    Micah 7:7

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    Agree completely and will be very disappointed if we sign Soriano. I'd much rather see us put those $ into Sanchez if we want to spend them. I really think we are fine in the back end of our pen, at least not bad enough to pay what it would take to get Soriano for the bit of an upgrade he would be.
    To add, Boras did probably bring up Soriano when they were talking about Drew. Doesn't mean we are going to look that direction though.
    Micah 7:7

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Yeah, no way on Soriano. That is too much money for a reliever.

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SacBunt View Post
    Or even better - have multiple announcer teams and allow me to choose one. The network could provide audio channels for the old school announcing duo, the young stat-based duo, the comedic duo bent more on entertainment (with guests every inning), and the McCarver/Buck channel.
    I don't see why Fox would go along with that. They pay the bills. They want you to hear their guys, for better or worse, that's the Fox #1 Duo and Buck is their #1 guy. Even doing a MLB broadcast he's still in a way advertising for the NFL and Fox. They want you to hear him slip in a pseudo commercial or reference to a Fox Network entertainer or entitiy.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Except Prince will never be a full-time DH because he said he didn't want to be. If the Tigers ever stick him there for a considerable amount of time, it's gonna turn in to a problem for the team.
    At 26 he said this. As he feels his own body start to deteriorate, he'll get with the program IMO. Dunn didn't want to DH either. PRince isn't near as bad a fielder as a guy like Dunn though.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

On the bright side, Soriano is good, but I agree that kind of money could be better spent elsewhere. It's quite possible that Boras brought up Soriano with Ilitch simply to leak the news to generate other teams' interest. These days I'm sure agents love to get Ilitch's and/or the Dodgers' names attached to any FA rumors.

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

For all we now Scott Boras sent Mike Ilitch a text message asking if he had any interest in Soriano, Ilitch never reads his texts, doesn't even know how to use the phone, then Boras leaks it to Gammons saying "I've been talking with Mike....."

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    For all we now Scott Boras sent Mike Ilitch a text message asking if he had any interest in Soriano, Ilitch never reads his texts, doesn't even know how to use the phone, then Boras leaks it to Gammons saying "I've been talking with Mike....."
    hah!
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Say No to Soriano.

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    Yeah, no way on Soriano. That is too much money for a reliever.
    This.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

I really think the mindset on paying a closer $10+ per season has changed in recent years, particularly if it's a long term commitment like 3-4 years. The elite guys can probably still command that, but the mid to lower tier closers appear to have seen some salary compression down towards the upper tier set-up guys (who have seen an increase to meet them mid-way). I think closers are somewhat a $6-7M/year commodity now (with upper tier set-up guys in the $5-6M/year range).

I don't see any obvious team out there that would pay Soriano 3/$35-40M.

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Dombrowski is trying to wait out the market on closers. Meanwhile Boras is trying to work his gold mine.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Dombrowski is trying to wait out the market on closers. Meanwhile Boras is trying to work his gold mine.
    Right. It seems that there's again going to be a glut of possible closers available.

I wonder if DD and Boras have an agreement: allow a better deal on Drew in exchange for not denying rumors that drive up Soriano's value. I really think Boras screwed up by having Soriano opt out of his contract. I don't know a sensible team that would spend the kind of money he's looking for on a closer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees end up taking him back, but at a lower cost.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

Mr. Bigglesworth is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheCouga View Post
    Right. It seems that there's again going to be a glut of possible closers available.

I wonder if DD and Boras have an agreement: allow a better deal on Drew in exchange for not denying rumors that drive up Soriano's value.
    If that came out it would severely damage Boras' reputation with players for what I think would be an extremely small benefit (i.e. Tigers not denying rumors WRT Soriano).

Page 34 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast