Page 29 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,160 of 4421
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    Bobby Cox couldn't. Leyland also didn't handle Delmon nor some of Cabrera's problems. People are going to do what they're going to do. Escobar is a cancer, doesn't matter who the manager is.

Plus, Escobar isn't really that much better than Peralta. Even if he is, it's extremely marginally and not worth the risk.
    Delmon and Cabrera caused clubhouse issues that fell under the category of something the manager could control? News to me.

Escobar is better than Peralta, not just short term but long term. He's a better fielder and baserunner, needs for this team and he's under control for 2 extra years, both of which are team options for only 5 mil. He also had an extremely down year for OBP last year, where is normally quite strong. That's another need for this team.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    If anyone has the leaders to get him in line, its us though. Cabrera,Vmart and Hunter would be good influences on him I think. Leyland too.
    The Braves are a class A organization with veteran leaders. They had a veteran manager, too.

Delmon and Cabrera caused clubhouse issues that fell under the category of something the manager could control? News to me.

Escobar is better than Peralta, not just short term but long term. He's a better fielder and baserunner, needs for this team and he's under control for 2 extra years, both of which are team options for only 5 mil. He also had an extremely down year for OBP last year, where is normally quite strong. That's another need for this team.
    Escobar has had two years of a .650 OPS in the last 3. He's an average fielder. Peralta is a tick below average. It's marginal at best, and not worth his childish personality.

The idea that a manager or veteran players can control anyone is news to me. People are going to do what they want to do. I don't care if Leyland, Belichick, Connie Mack, or Phil Jackson is running the team, Escobar is a punk, and he'll always be one.

qsilvr2531 is offline MotownSports Fan

Bobby Cox couldn't. Leyland also didn't handle Delmon nor some of Cabrera's problems. People are going to do what they're going to do. Escobar is a cancer, doesn't matter who the manager is.

Plus, Escobar isn't really that much better than Peralta. Even if he is, it's extremely marginally and not worth the risk.
    I thought he handled both Young and Cabrera's problems extremely well. I've seen no long last impact on the clubhouse from Cabrera's incidents. Young's incident didn't seem to cause any kind of long (or even short) term distraction for the Tigers either and Young was his usual self (for better or worse) the entire year.

Players are going to do what they are going to do. Getting them to still perform on the field without damaging the clubhouse is the managers job and Leyland does that job well.

I don't think Escobar is enough of an upgrade over Peralta to justify a trade, but I feel that way independent of his clubhouse issues.
    Slowsilver: They did a study at Baseball Prospectus and found out that bionic parts increase WARP23 by 6.7% on average. Back in the steroid era, steroids only increased WARP23 by 4.6%

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RatkoVarda View Post
    How does downgrading from Laird to Holladay help this team?
    Holladay isn't a downgrade. He's the same player at less than 1/2 the cost.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Quote Originally Posted by qsilvr2531 View Post
    I thought he handled both Young and Cabrera's problems extremely well. I've seen no long last impact on the clubhouse from Cabrera's incidents. Young's incident didn't seem to cause any kind of long (or even short) term distraction for the Tigers either and Young was his usual self (for better or worse) the entire year.

Players are going to do what they are going to do. Getting them to still perform on the field without damaging the clubhouse is the managers job and Leyland does that job well.

I don't think Escobar is enough of an upgrade over Peralta to justify a trade, but I feel that way independent of his clubhouse issues.
    My point is that Leyland didn't prevent Cabrera or Young from getting in trouble. He handled the situation, but players are going to get in trouble regardless of who the manager is. That's what I'm trying to get across.

That's a gross mischaracterization of Leyland. Did you think that Leyland is using the Patriot Act to monitor all 25 guys 24/7? Handling a player doesn't mean you follow them every second to make sure they aren't doing somethign they shouldn't be. It means that you are managing egos in a clubhouse setting and over the ups and downs of a long season, spring training and hopefuly play-offs.

If anything, other than Esobar making an extremely bad choice, it is an indictment of Farrell's inability to handle his clubhouse. This wasn't something that happened afterhours, and away from the field, where Farrell has no role.

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    That's a gross mischaracterization of Leyland. Did you think that Leyland is using the Patriot Act to monitor all 25 guys 24/7? Handling a player doesn't mean you follow them every second to make sure they aren't doing somethign they shouldn't be. It means that you are managing egos in a clubhouse setting and over the ups and downs of a long season, spring training and hopefuly play-offs.

If anything, other than Esobar making an extremely bad choice, it is an indictment of Farrell's inability to handle his clubhouse. This wasn't something that happened afterhours, and away from the field, where Farrell has no role.
    You're more than welcome to read my above posts where I qualified the statement.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by macedonian bengal View Post
    Scott Hairston might make a nice platoon partner for Dirks to solve the LF questions
    I kind of had the thought of Hairston being brought to the club as utility bench player. I was incorrect about the utility part, he hasn't played as much infield in recent seasons as I originally thought. Probably a good platoon option with Dirks, though.

However, the New York Mess appear to be inclined to bring Hairston back. Per mlbtraderumors.com:

•Mets officials think Scott Hairston will get a two-year deal worth between $8-10MM this winter.
    •Jason Bay's release from his contract "probably enhances" Scott Hairston's chances of returning to the Mets, Alderson said.

qsilvr2531 is offline MotownSports Fan

My point is that Leyland didn't prevent Cabrera or Young from getting in trouble. He handled the situation, but players are going to get in trouble regardless of who the manager is. That's what I'm trying to get across.
    I agree players are people and will get in trouble at some point. And I don't care so long as that trouble doesn't spill over to the baseball field. Leyland is good at ensuring the off the field stuff stays off the field (ie they ensure that the off the field stuff does not become a clubhouse issue, which is what happened in both Cabrera and Young's case) and if the Tigers think Escobar or any other player is an upgrade I'm comfortable with their ability to deal withe the off the field issues so the fact that you might characterize Escobar as a clubhouse cancer doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    Slowsilver: They did a study at Baseball Prospectus and found out that bionic parts increase WARP23 by 6.7% on average. Back in the steroid era, steroids only increased WARP23 by 4.6%

john doe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Shangri la in the Summer, Timbuktu in the Winter

Quote Originally Posted by qsilvr2531 View Post

Yes, +1
    It's pronounced Canada, and no, I haven't.

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Robert Murray@BigLeagueRumors: There could be a deal between the #Cubs and #Tigers involving P Rick Porcello. @georgeofman was told "there is a little smoke here." (link)
    No idea how reputable the source is, and George Ofman seems to be a Chicago-based radio host.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

KleShreen is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by catswithbats View Post
    No idea how reputable the source is, and George Ofman seems to be a Chicago-based radio host.
    Who in the world does Chicago have that would be appealing for Porcello, now?

froggyvk is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    DeJesus?

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Starlin Castro
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

benrush is offline MotownSports Fan

Matt Garza who the Tigers have loved for a while now!

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    Starlin Castro
    sounds fair

Quote Originally Posted by benrush View Post
    Matt Garza who the Tigers have loved for a while now!
    sounds fair

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I promise porcello is not being traded to the cubs.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

not unless the Cubs have a hard throwing AA reliever with control problems
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

The Cubs have a very good double play combo, Porcello could be a steal for them. Yes, they are rebuilding, but Theo wants pitching for right now too. Its their #1 goal this offseason

john doe is offline MotownSports Fan
    Shangri la in the Summer, Timbuktu in the Winter

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Ofman was "suggesting" various Cubs trade ideas for Porcello months ago. Twitter / georgeofman: Garza for Procello didn't fly. ...
    It's pronounced Canada, and no, I haven't.

The Cubs have a very good double play combo, Porcello could be a steal for them. Yes, they are rebuilding, but Theo wants pitching for right now too. Its their #1 goal this offseason
    In Wrigley Field also, getting a ground ball pitcher under team control through 2015 might be a risk worth taking for them. I stand by my earlier suggestion of DeJesus for Porcello. If the Tigers are still looking at outfielders, and the rumored interest in Ross suggests they are, DeJesus makes sense. He'll make $4.25M in 2013 with a $6.25M team option for 2014. .263/.350/.403 makes sense out of the No. 2 spot so you can bat Hunter 6th.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post

I could see them use infante as dirks platoon mate with worth or santiago playing 2b those days.
    I see Santiago as an early season DFA, contract or no.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Quote Originally Posted by froggyvk View Post
    In Wrigley Field also, getting a ground ball pitcher under team control through 2015 might be a risk worth taking for them. I stand by my earlier suggestion of DeJesus for Porcello. If the Tigers are still looking at outfielders, and the rumored interest in Ross suggests they are, DeJesus makes sense. He'll make $4.25M in 2013 with a $6.25M team option for 2014. .263/.350/.403 makes sense out of the No. 2 spot so you can bat Hunter 6th.
    I'm pretty confident Dirks can put up that production or at least similar production and you have him at a robust 500 K contract

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by froggyvk View Post
    If we can't get way more than DeJesus for Porcello, there's no point in trading him.

I'm hoping this is Porcello/Castellanos for Castro.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I see Santiago as an early season DFA, contract or no.
    I think he'll be in better shape next year after playing winter ball. He sat out the winter last year for the first time.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

DeJesus is essentially unusable against LHP, which is an area the Tigers supposedly have wanted to improve. I guess you could platoon him with someone like Ross, but I like Dirks better moving forward anyway. Plus the Tigers can't trade Porcello unless they have a lock on a better SP (Sanchez or someone else). And if they do market Porcello, I'd hope they could do better than DeJesus.

They have one of those guys on the roster their trying to dump!

Tim Mitchell is offline MotownSports Fan

Seems like Garza would be a little pricey?
    Money has got to start becoming a serious consideration.

Berry and boesch are terrible. Garcia will start the year in aa and is nowhere near ready for the majors, and raburn will be non tendered.

The question boils down to how they feel about dirks as the full time left fielder, or if they would prefer that he is the 4th of.

I expect them to rely on dirks and try to find a right handed bench outfielder. I could see them keep berry on the team for pinch running as a backup cf.

I could see them use infante as dirks platoon mate with worth or santiago playing 2b those days.
    Personally I would rather Dirks start vs lefties rather than Santiago, but I could see the Tigers doing what you mention. Infante as the right handed hitting LF is an interesting option if the Tigers could find a better 2B option than Santiago.

How many lives does Ryan Raburn have? Is he the fallback option as the RH hitting LF? Assuming a straight righty vs lefty & lefty vs right platoon, and having the lefty hitter in the fold already for the majority of the starts, is it worth gambling on Raburn's 2012 being an outlier and just starting out 2013 with him in Detroit if he shows reasonably well in Lakeland?

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

I feel like I need to clarify something.

Santiago is garbage and I don't expect him to last the year on the team, even if he makes it at all.

The reference to him was only due to his current status on the roster and his existing 2013 contract. If he is on the team, he's going to get some starts from time to time.

I expect worth to get the greater amount of playing time.

The poit of my post was merely to illustrate that infante could play left field against lefty pitchers I they wanted to bench dirks on those days, because we currently have two backup second base options that can swing right handed.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

I feel like I need to clarify something.

Santiago is garbage and I don't expect him to last the year on the team, even if he makes it at all.

The reference to him was only due to his current status on the roster and his existing 2013 contract. If he is on the team, he's going to get some starts from time to time.

I expect worth to get the greater amount of playing time.

The poit of my post was merely to illustrate that infante could play left field against lefty pitchers I they wanted to bench dirks on those days, because we currently have two backup second base options that can swing right handed.
    I kind of figured that is what you meant. I didn't think you would be in favor of Santiago over Dirks vs lefties. But I understand that that might be what the Tigers would consider, which is what you were getting at.

I hadn't thought of Worth, but I would still rather see Dirks in LF and Infante at 2B vs lefties, occassional days off excluded.

Spoartspoartspoarts!!! | PEDs and You: The Benefits of Cheating

One of my coworkers from the 2011 season wrote this piece that has since been picked up by NBC and CBS Sports. He's by no means a professional writer, but it's worth your time and a very interesting read.

It's way too early in the morning to push my buttons like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCouga View Post
    I'm hoping this is Porcello/Castellanos for Castro.
    That is a significant over-pay. If we signed Sanchez, I suppose a Porcello for Castro deal could make some sense. But you'd also have to have a secondary deal already lined up to deal Peralta. Seems awfully unlikely to me.

I wouldn't trade Castellanos 1-for-1 to get Castro.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    That is a significant over-pay. If we signed Sanchez, I suppose a Porcello for Castro deal could make some sense. But you'd also have to have a secondary deal already lined up to deal Peralta. Seems awfully unlikely to me.

I wouldn't trade Castellanos 1-for-1 to get Castro.
    I would, in a heartbeat. Castro is much better than Castellanos, and plays a much more important role on defense. I would pay more than Castellanos to get Castro, it would probably cost more than that.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

DeJesus is a very nice complimentary player. But he's expensive and redundant given we have Dirks who will make around $500k.

Also, DeJesus is a guy you have to strictly platoon at this stage of his career. Against LHP, his OPS in 2011 was .459 and it was .438 in 2012. So again, very redundant with Dirks.

If you get another OF, he has to be a RHB that could platoon with Dirks. I think Bay is a decent gamble. But I also wouldn't mind keeping Raburn around for that role either.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    I would, in a heartbeat. Castro is much better than Castellanos, and plays a much more important role on defense. I would pay more than Castellanos to get Castro, it would probably cost more than that.
    Castro is a good player, but way over-rated for what he actually provides. Quality pitching is just as important as shortstop.

Los Gatos is offline MotownSports Fan

Castro might be a little overrated relative to his offensive production and defensive lapses, but he still has good value and great upside based on his talent and age - turns 23 in March - and position. Putting him on a team like the Tigers where he wouldn't be expected to carry the offense could pay big dividends, along with (hopefully) natural maturity. He just signed a 7-year extension in August so it seems the Cubs are committed to him, but at $60 million for that length, it's not horrible value right now and could become a bargain. If memory serves, there was talk of a Granderson-Castro deal a few years ago, so he might still be on the Tigers' radar. But from the Cubs' point of view, I think it would take a pretty big deal to pry him away because of the points above and the hole at SS it would create.

Page 29 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast