Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
    Sources: Free agent outfielder Torii Hunter is meeting with #Tigers officials in Detroit today. @MLBONFOX
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

ROMAD1 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    Tim Brown (TBrownYahoo) on Twitter

I predict this is the guy who breaks the Hunter signing...he seems to have the ear of the right people. Dude kinda lurks.
    Tim Brown's busy tweeting about Phil Jackson and the ROY votes. Maybe Morosi has the scoop. Geography trumps access. maybe
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigersSlappy View Post
    Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
    Sources: Free agent outfielder Torii Hunter is meeting with #Tigers officials in Detroit today. @MLBONFOX
    Don't let him leave without a deal.

froggyvk is offline MotownSports Fan

This makes me sick.

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan

The more I am thinking about it the more I love the idea of Torii playing for us. We give up nothing, give the young guys a little more time to figure things out, are only on the hook (most likely) for 2 years.

Pay that man his money...

"And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    If you exclude Hamilton, then I agree there is not a big difference between the free agents for 2013. His value might not be that great though. I think some team - perhaps the Tigers - will overpay for him. The best thing he will bring to the team will be defense which, as you know, is something I value highly. I suspect he'll disappoint some people offensively.
    I mean value from the sense of a short term relatively low risk signing. If we can get him for like 2/25, and he comes out an puts up a mid to high 700s ops and plays above average defense, while hitting well against lefties, then ill be happy.

The other options may be a bit better, but I fear that they all come with added cost, either in years, poor defense, draft pick forfeiture, or just dollars relative to production.

The tigers don't need a star. They just need a guy that can hold his own.

I'm certainly not expecting anything close to his 2012 value.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Quote Originally Posted by froggyvk View Post
    This makes me sick.
    I wouldn't go that far. I feel about it the same way as the Dotel rumors last year. Not really exciting, but an upgrade. I'll survive the media hype if it happens.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm okay with Hunter on a 1-year deal. I max out on a 1-year deal plus vesting option at say 650 PA's (though certainly afraid that he could be horrendous and Leyland would continue to march him out there to meet the vesting threshold). 650 PA's is roughly 145 games at 4.5 PA's per game. That's pretty fair if you ask me, for a guy who is going to get roughly $10 million/season.

Anything more than that, and I personally would pass. There are other choices available, such as Bay. All we really need is a RHB that we can platoon with Dirks or Boesch. Realistically, we could platoon both corner OF spots.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

irvink is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    I'm okay with Hunter on a 1-year deal. I max out on a 1-year deal plus vesting option at say 650 PA's (though certainly afraid that he could be horrendous and Leyland would continue to march him out there to meet the vesting threshold). 650 PA's is roughly 145 games at 4.5 PA's per game. That's pretty fair if you ask me, for a guy who is going to get roughly $10 million/season.

Anything more than that, and I personally would pass. There are other choices available, such as Bay. All we really need is a RHB that we can platoon with Dirks or Boesch. Realistically, we could platoon both corner OF spots.
    I feel like we need one full time OF, be it Hunter, Melky or whoever AND a RHB to platoon with Dirks.

theroundsquare is offline MotownSports Fan

So, does he buy #48 from Porcello?

STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    STL - you don't KNOW what they're getting, that's the problem. He's getting old and likely declining. You see the dropoff from 2010 to 2011? That is what we might be getting with an even further dropoff, not what he did last year when he struck out a ton and every ball he hit luckily fell into play.

lol, oh my god! Your right, Hunter hit only a .765 OPS for 2011 after hitting over .800 from 2006 to 2010 and back to over .800 from 2011 and 2012. That Hunter is garbage!!!! Last year, Boesch's "bad" year OPS was .659 and Young's in Detroit was .742. My point is it's not just "last year" for Torii Hunter either. It's 6 of the last 7 years that he's been over .800 OPS. Either the guys got a lucky streak longer than Justin Timberlake or perhaps Torii Hunter really does have some talent.

Also, the "You don't KNOW what they're getting, that's the problem" is sort of interesting too. No, your right I don't, but all I have to go on is what Hunter has done the last several years and frankly it's darn impressive. Your right in the sense that there is no certain thing in baseball. I don't think the White Soxs were expecting newly signed free agent Adam Dunn to hit .159 for 2011 and be paid $12M to do it, or the Nationals to pay Jayson Werth $13M for 2011 to hit .232 either. I'm sure every team weighs the risks and rewards and secretly crosses their fingers with any free agent signing hoping that they at least get what they paid for and more, while knowing in their head that they made the best decision that they could.

Swisher and Hamilton are both free agents that would cost the Tigers a draft pick. Both of them are likely seeking a long term 4-7 year(?) deal. The only other name I've heard mentioned is Angel Pagan and frankly for nearly $10M Pagan's not exactly all that exciting to me.

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
    2012 30 SFG NL 154 659 605 95 174 38 15 8 56 29 7 48 97 .288 .338 .440 .778 121
    162 Game Avg. 162 618 563 83 158 32 10 10 62 29 8 46 91 .281 .333 .424 .757 106

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 11/13/2012.

Here's what Andy Dirks did for 2012 and his career average too, and Dirks is costing the Tigers $485K for 2012. Between Pagan and Dirks, who excites you more?

Year Age Tm Lg G PA R H HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
    2011 25 DET AL 78 235 34 55 7 28 5 2 11 36 .251 .296 .406 .703 89
    2012 26 DET AL 88 344 56 101 8 35 1 1 23 53 .322 .370 .487 .857 130
    2 Yrs 166 579 90 156 15 63 6 3 34 89 .293 .340 .454 .794 113
    162 Game Avg. 162 565 88 152 15 61 6 3 33 87 .293 .340 .454 .794 113

Generated 11/13/2012.

Again, I understand Hunter's old, but it reminds me of that priceless Ronald Reagan quote when Walter Mondale brought up the issue of Reagan's age in a debate. Reagan responded by saying that "I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    I mean value from the sense of a short term relatively low risk signing. If we can get him for like 2/25, and he comes out an puts up a mid to high 700s ops and plays above average defense, while hitting well against lefties, then ill be happy.
    I'd be happy with this, too. I'm just not optimistic that he will deliver that at the plate.

Then you're not going to be OK with the Hunter deal, because thirteen teams are reported to be interested in him, and the chances that his best offer will be from the Tigers at 1/10 with a PA vesting option are nil, ±0%.

In fact, I would not be surprised if someone offered him three years, like 3/40, and he took it, whichever team it is. I just hope that's not us.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

EppOnite is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by irvink View Post
    I feel like we need one full time OF, be it Hunter, Melky or whoever AND a RHB to platoon with Dirks.
    Agreed! Reed Johnson
    Everyone BOO Hossa!

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

I am somewhat resigned to the idea of Torii Hunter in our outfield for the next two years and maybe more. What I don't completely understand is why he's a slam dunk to play RF, as is being reported, instead of LF. Given Hunter's defensive skills--or at least his defensive rep--and our expansive LF, wouldn't he be a better option to patrol all that real estate than anybody we have in house today?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

This is so far off base, the tigers main feature in signing Hunter is that they're going to give him 2 years when others wont. and seriously Bay? The guy's highest slugging percentage the last 3 years is .402. I'd rather have.....shoot me Delmon Young than Jason Bay.

There are other choices available, such as Bay. All we really need is a RHB that we can platoon with Dirks or Boesch. Realistically, we could platoon both corner OF spots.

This whole line is nonsense.
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger69 View Post
    lol, oh my god! Your right, Hunter hit only a .765 OPS for 2011 after hitting over .800 from 2006 to 2010 and back to over .800 from 2011 and 2012. That Hunter is garbage!!!! Last year, Boesch's "bad" year OPS was .659 and Young's in Detroit was .742. My point is it's not just "last year" for Torii Hunter either. It's 6 of the last 7 years that he's been over .800 OPS. Either the guys got a lucky streak longer than Justin Timberlake or perhaps Torii Hunter really does have some talent.

Also, the "You don't KNOW what they're getting, that's the problem" is sort of interesting too. No, your right I don't, but all I have to go on is what Hunter has done the last several years and frankly it's darn impressive. Your right in the sense that there is no certain thing in baseball. I don't think the White Soxs were expecting newly signed free agent Adam Dunn to hit .159 for 2011 and be paid $12M to do it, or the Nationals to pay Jayson Werth $13M for 2011 to hit .232 either. I'm sure every team weighs the risks and rewards and secretly crosses their fingers with any free agent signing hoping that they at least get what they paid for and more, while knowing in their head that they made the best decision that they could.

Swisher and Hamilton are both free agents that would cost the Tigers a draft pick. Both of them are likely seeking a long term 4-7 year(?) deal. The only other name I've heard mentioned is Angel Pagan and frankly for nearly $10M Pagan's not exactly all that exciting to me.

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
    2012 30 SFG NL 154 659 605 95 174 38 15 8 56 29 7 48 97 .288 .338 .440 .778 121
    162 Game Avg. 162 618 563 83 158 32 10 10 62 29 8 46 91 .281 .333 .424 .757 106

Generated 11/13/2012.

Here's what Andy Dirks did for 2012 and his career average too, and Dirks is costing the Tigers $485K for 2012. Between Pagan and Dirks, who excites you more?

Year Age Tm Lg G PA R H HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
    2011 25 DET AL 78 235 34 55 7 28 5 2 11 36 .251 .296 .406 .703 89
    2012 26 DET AL 88 344 56 101 8 35 1 1 23 53 .322 .370 .487 .857 130
    2 Yrs 166 579 90 156 15 63 6 3 34 89 .293 .340 .454 .794 113
    162 Game Avg. 162 565 88 152 15 61 6 3 33 87 .293 .340 .454 .794 113

Generated 11/13/2012.

Again, I understand Hunter's old, but it reminds me of that priceless Ronald Reagan quote when Walter Mondale brought up the issue of Reagan's age in a debate. Reagan responded by saying that "I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."
    Mondale was sooooo over matched in that race.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    I am somewhat resigned to the idea of Torii Hunter in our outfield for the next two years and maybe more. What I don't completely understand is why he's a slam dunk to play RF, as is being reported, instead of LF. Given Hunter's defensive skills--or at least his defensive rep--and our expansive LF, wouldn't he be a better option to patrol all that real estate than anybody we have in house today?
    Lynn Henning was going off on this very topic yesterday.

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    Once qualifying offer didn't come from Angels, Torii Hunter was best bet for Tigers. Has the bat, plus a CF's glove for Comerica's LF.

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning
    RT @JGoro8 You don't think Hunter would play RF and Dirks in LF? ... Jordan: Not at Comerica, where LF is your basic version of CF.

And finally, Morosi on Hunter's visit to the D.

Sources: Veteran free agent Torii Hunter visiting Detroit Tigers - MLB News | FOX Sports on MSN

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    Then you're not going to be OK with the Hunter deal, because thirteen teams are reported to be interested in him, and the chances that his best offer will be from the Tigers at 1/10 with a PA vesting option are nil, ±0%.

In fact, I would not be surprised if someone offered him three years, like 3/40, and he took it, whichever team it is. I just hope that's not us.
    Wrong, I said what I was okay with, and said if his market exceeds that I would pass.

And if Hunter can get 3/$40 from some team, he should take it and run. Then have fun at the bottom of the standings. Because there isn't a contender that is going to give him that kind of contract.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

Quote Originally Posted by will the thrill View Post
    This is so far off base, the tigers main feature in signing Hunter is that they're going to give him 2 years when others wont. and seriously Bay? The guy's highest slugging percentage the last 3 years is .402. I'd rather have.....shoot me Delmon Young than Jason Bay.

There are other choices available, such as Bay. All we really need is a RHB that we can platoon with Dirks or Boesch. Realistically, we could platoon both corner OF spots.

This whole line is nonsense.
    I hope someone does offer him a two year deal, or more, so we don't have to be concerned about his decline.

We can get better production and at a fraction of the cost, through a platoon in LF. All we need is a RHB that hits LHP and can play average to above average defense. That may not be Bay, but he's not the only option. And I'd bet on Bay, because he is betting on himself by terminating his lucrative contract with the Mets. And 2012 aside, Bay still hit LHP well in 2010-2011.

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

I only approve of Hunter if we upgrade elsewhere as well. I'd really like to see us trade Porcello, Castellanos, and Garcia. Smyly's a keeper if you ask me. But we should be able to get a great RF for the three above players plus some pitching depth.
    A physicist, a chemist, and an economist were stranded on an island with no implements and a can of food. The physicist and the chemist each devised an ingenious mechanism for getting the can open; the economist merely said, "Assume we have a can opener"!

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Morosi said Tigers are prepared to offer multi year deal to Hunter

Wrong, I said what I was okay with, and said if his market exceeds that I would pass.

And if Hunter can get 3/$40 from some team, he should take it and run. Then have fun at the bottom of the standings. Because there isn't a contender that is going to give him that kind of contract.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers offered three years. It wouldn't be the first time they went too many years on a name player.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Some more Torii to Detroit tweets:

Jason Beck ‏@beckjason
    #Tigers already had organizational meetings scheduled today, including Leyland, Timing for meeting with Hunter worked out perfectly.

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna - LA Times
    In agreement with many who say #Tigers best fit for Torii Hunter. Great team in game's most winable division; should avoid 1-game playoff.

Torii can slide right into 2-hole and RF, spots he's most comfortable in, and be close to his son, Torii Jr., at Notre Dame.

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna
    But knowing Torii, he may have some questions to #Tigers brass about how they plan to upgrade bullpen before he commits.

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna
    But knowing Torii, he may have some questions to #Tigers brass about how they plan to upgrade bullpen before he commits.

Bring back Jason Grilli, he's a legacy after all.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers offered three years. It wouldn't be the first time they went too many years on a name player.
    There's an age bias in the sport right now. Five years ago, I would have agreed with you. Nowadays, productive players are nearly blacklisted out of the game when they get into their late 30's. I don't think anyone will offer a three year deal. We'll see.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
    Sources say there’s a good chance Torii Hunter will sign with the Tigers unless his hometown Rangers make a push -- which is very possible.

Glad Baker is out of the division. Though I was hoping he was a fall-back for the Tigers if they lost out on Sanchez. So I'm bummed went off the market so early on.

There's an age bias in the sport right now. Five years ago, I would have agreed with you. Nowadays, productive players are nearly blacklisted out of the game when they get into their late 30's. I don't think anyone will offer a three year deal. We'll see.
    Old unproductive players have a more difficult time today which is a good thing. I don't think they'll look at Hunter that way though. I expect two years, but can see three.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

.... And I'd bet on Bay, because he is betting on himself by terminating his lucrative contract with the Mets. And 2012 aside, Bay still hit LHP well in 2010-2011.
    Bay didn't "bet on himself", the Mets wanted him gone so bad they agreed to pay Bay the rest of his full contract price of $21M for him to get lost. Bay is getting paid his full contract price from the Mets PLUS whatever he can make on the open market from here on out.

"After Three Seasons of Failure, Bay and the Mets Go Their Separate Ways"
    New York Times

Mets and Jason Bay Agree to Part Ways - NYTimes.com
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

I wonder if Dombrowski and company are going to make Torii Hunter an offer he can't refuse....

Looking over Bowden's FA dollar predictions (he was really close last year).

Jim Bowden's predictions for the offseason free agents - Baseball Nation

Anyway, Bowden predicts Swisher will go for 3/33. Let's say he's a little off and it's more like 3/40. Even with the loss of a draft pick, he'd be tempting on that kind of deal.

I had read that Swisher was originally looking for a Werth (7/126) deal. He obviously won't get that, but I would guess that he's looking for at least 4/70. Will be curious to see what happens with him. If the Tigers lose out on Hunter and Swisher is still sitting there late, I could see them getting involved if the price is right.

Swisher may invoke $126M Werth deal in contract talks; how crazy is it? - CBSSports.com
    Last edited by irvink; 11-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.

We should have gotten Torii in Detroit this weekend when it was 60 degrees outside
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

Looking over Bowden's FA dollar predictions (he was really close last year).

Jim Bowden's predictions for the offseason free agents - Baseball Nation

Anyway, Bowden predicts Swisher will go for 3/33. Let's say he's a little off and it's more like 3/40. Even with the loss of a draft pick, he'd be tempting on that kind of deal.

I had read that Swisher was originally looking for a Werth (7/126) deal. He obviously won't get that, but I would guess that he's looking for at least 4/70. Will be curious to see what happens with him. If the Tigers lose out on Hunter and Swisher is still sitting there late, I could see them getting involved if the price is right.

Swisher may invoke $126M Werth deal in contract talks; how crazy is it? - CBSSports.com

He's got Hunter a 2/20 at that number, he's a good pick up in my opinion. I like Swisher at 3/33 except for the qualifying offer aspect

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

There should be a bias against position players over 35. Apart from the aberration during the steroid era, not many hitters other than the segment at the very top of the career performance curve produce very much past age 35.
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

We should have gotten Torii in Detroit this weekend when it was 60 degrees outside
    He played in Minnesota, I don't think that's relevant.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

He's got Hunter a 2/20 at that number, he's a good pick up in my opinion. I like Swisher at 3/33 except for the qualifying offer aspect
    I wouldn't trade the first round pick for Swisher straight up, let alone the money they'd have to pay him.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    He played in Minnesota, I don't think that's relevant.
    lol, I think will the thrill is just joking, but if Hunters choices include Atlanta and Texas....

ROMAD1 is online now MotownSports Fan

His son is going to ND? I didn't realize the Hunters were papists
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    His son is going to ND? I didn't realize the Hunters were papists
    Wrong school.

Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast