Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,360 of 4421
    hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    Wells would not involve Porcello. He could probably be acquired for a fringe prospect. He's not that good, but happens to fit the Tigers immediate needs.
    Interesting that with Porcello on the mound today in a minor league game, the place was crowded with scouts including what I call rubber band scouts meaning they are not wearing a team issued ID but have a temporary id hanging from a button or belt loop with a rubber band. As Porcello finished, they left quickly.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

mmwatkin is offline MotownSports Fan

I tend to agree with Jason Beck's 25-man roster as of right now. I think it gives the team the best flexibility and the strongest 'pen

Wednesday: Time to guess the roster Beck's Blog

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mmwatkin View Post
    I tend to agree with Jason Beck's 25-man roster as of right now. I think it gives the team the best flexibility and the strongest 'pen

Poor Jason today. On the A+ field a foul bouncer cleared the fence in the bleacher area and Jason Beck was in the grassy area between the bleachers concentrating on his personal electronic device. He was unaware of the white sphere entering his aura with destruction on its mind. While I thought it was a perfect bouncing nut shot, he seemed unfazed (make your own assumption here). Lowe arrived later so did not witness the off field action. (And for about the 10th time today I have lost what I was typing and thankfully CNTL+Alt+Z brought it back (but jumped to capitals and "Inspect element"). I'm PO'd.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

Did Lowe have his hat?

A.J.K. is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mmwatkin View Post

That's the same roster that I guessed in the "2013 roster" thread. The only change I can possibly see is Downs for Villareal depending on matchups at the beginning of the year.
    2014 AAT: Luke Putkonen
    2013 AAT: Darin Downs
    All-time AAT: Jim Walewander

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.K. View Post
    That's the same roster that I guessed in the "2013 roster" thread. The only change I can possibly see is Downs for Villareal depending on matchups at the beginning of the year.
    A few weeks ago I agreed with Kobernus making the team, but have been underwhelmed since then. I think that spot is still wide open for Tuiasosopo to grab if he keeps hitting in the final ST games.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

ben9753 is offline MotownSports Fan

Does Tuiososopo have any speed? Or is he the same as Miggy Prince Avila and VMart?

Quote Originally Posted by ben9753 View Post
    Does Tuiososopo have any speed? Or is he the same as Miggy Prince Avila and VMart?
    He's no runner. He had 11 steals in the minors in 2011 but doesn't seem to have run hardly at all since then.

Still, he can put the ball in the seats and Kobernus can't, and I think to JL the idea that a bench guy might give you a long ball in a game is more valuable than that he might get on base, then might end up in a position where speed makes a difference to score a run. There are a lot less obstacles to overcome to get that run in the 1st scenario. If JL was likely to use a guy as a pinch runner more it would be one thing, but I don't see JL doing much pinch running for any of the high OBP guys in this line-up anyway.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 03-21-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Jason_R is offline MotownSports Fan

hueytaxi, I just wanted to take a moment to say that your posts are gold. I appreciate the nuggets from Lakeland.

And your description of what happened to Jason Beck was hilarious.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

If dd thinks kobernus could be an asset beyond this year, such as a replacement for infante, then I think he would overrule jl on that.

As for lobstein, I wonder if there might be another team that could stash him that might want to trade for him.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

ben9753 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    If dd thinks kobernus could be an asset beyond this year, such as a replacement for infante, then I think he would overrule jl on that.

As for lobstein, I wonder if there might be another team that could stash him that might want to trade for him.
    Why would another team trade for him? He's a dime a dozen reliever that almost any team can find in their farm systems'. Basically, he sucks.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    While I thought it was a perfect bouncing nut shot, he seemed unfazed (make your own assumption here).
    Jason Beck is a woman?
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

If Worth doesn't make the roster and Kobernus does, then Worth only has himself to blame. He should have been working all winter long at becoming a decent defender in LF. If he had, he'd clearly be the better option to provide a right handed bat out there, in addition to helping out in the IF. Instead, we're probably going to keep Kobernus (unless we make a trade) and Kelly. Worth could have knocked both of those guys off the roster and allowed us to keep Tuisosoppo.

If we are looking at Pena, Santiago, Kelly and Kobernus, that is one gosh awful group.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Shelton is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ben9753 View Post
    Why would another team trade for him? He's a dime a dozen reliever that almost any team can find in their farm systems'. Basically, he sucks.
    Yet the Tigers, a team with few openings on their major league staff, thought enough of him and his talent to acquire him.

I guess the tigers front office is just stupid.

Then again, maybe baseball front offices have experience in identifying potential and there are others out there that see the same thing the tigers did.

I'm not convinced that the tigers will offer him back. If smyly goes to Toledo to start, we still need a long man.

Take a minute and consider that there could be other teams that can afford to use him in a similar role.

Also, he's not just a reliever. He is still more of a starting prospect, and he's a lefty.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

mickeyb105 is offline MotownSports Fan

[QUOTE=Shelton;2882935]If dd thinks kobernus could be an asset beyond this year, such as a replacement for infante, then I think he would overrule jl on that. QUOTE]

On this note, is the organization still high on Perez as a possible heir to 2B in 14/15?
    2012 AAT: Fu-Te Ni

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Tigers returned Rule 5 pick INF Jeff Kobernus to the Nationals.
    Congratulations to the Minnesota Twins... etc
    Kobernoooooous

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Toaosodoaoaodooopo maybe makes team?
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

They probably acquire a RH OF like Casper Wells, keep Kelly as 25th man b/c of contract situation, and send Berry and Tui to Toledo for depth. Santiago likely stays up and Worth goes to Toledo for depth purposes, as well.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
    They probably acquire a RH OF like Casper Wells, keep Kelly as 25th man b/c of contract situation, and send Berry and Tui to Toledo for depth. Santiago likely stays up and Worth goes to Toledo for depth purposes, as well.
    This is what I think
    Micah 7:7

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Anyone know if Seattle is looking for RP? It is really the one spot that the Tigers do have a semi-glut of as there is still about 6 players who could make the final 4 spots of the pen.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

TigersSlappy is online now MotownSports Fan

I think the pertinent question is: "Are we still the AL Central favorites w/o Kobernus?"
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Greenwit is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    Toaosodoaoaodooopo maybe makes team?
    According to henning tweet, yes. And so does Downs. Byebye Copernicus.
    Two words: Costa Rica.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwit View Post
    According to henning tweet, yes. And so does Downs. Byebye Copernicus.
    He only said that if spring ended today he would make the team. Who knows really. There may still be a trade looming anyhow.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure what point you're making.

That's all typical Henning conjecture. Anyone can draw the conclusion that they'll likely make the team. I was just replying to your post saying that Henning said yes, he made the team. That isn't the case yet. Not officially anyhow. A horrible week could still change that.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Still 7 games left of ST so a lot can happen with those last few spots.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

That's all typical Henning conjecture. Anyone can draw the conclusion that they'll likely make the team. I was just replying to your post saying that Henning said yes, he made the team. That isn't the case yet. Not officially anyhow. A horrible week could still change that.
    I also don't think there is any way a healthy AA doesn't make the team but Darrin Downs, Brian V, and Smyly do as relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    I also don't think there is any way a healthy AA doesn't make the team but Darrin Downs, Brian V, and Smyly do as relievers.
    IDK, if RP is not traded, then it seems to me that one of Smyly or AlAl is indeed the odd man out, and the decision will have a lot more to do with what they think is optimal for Smyly than for AA. I tend to see AA and Villareal as basically pitching in exactly the same role, making each relatively dispensable.

Too bad....not my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    IDK, if RP is not traded, then it seems to me that one of Smyly or AlAl is indeed the odd man out, and the decision will have a lot more to do with what they think is optimal for Smyly than for AA. I tend to see AA and Villareal as basically pitching in exactly the same role, making each relatively dispensable.
    If Smyly is kept in the pen, I don't see them keeping Downs. They don't need the 3rd LH and a strict long reliever isn't likely to get much work on this team, especially not enough to keep Smyly developing as a future starter.

socaltiger is offline MotownSports Fan

Why not let Rondon pitch at AAA for a month or so then bring him up to pitch for a couple more in gradually increasing pressure situations until he is the closer around the end of June? Its a long season and a weak division and if he is not cutting it by the trade deadline then trade for a closer.

Oh, now I see the confusion. I was puzzled there for a sec and thought you were just messing with me. I never said that Henning said yes he made the team. Cap Tigers used 'maybe' and I reinforced that with the reference to the Henning tweet and later with a link that said he was 'likely' along with Downs. I never said anyone made the team. I simply agreed with 'maybe' and according to Henning a bit more than just 'maybe.'
    Last edited by Greenwit; 03-24-2013 at 12:12 AM.

If Smyly is kept in the pen, I don't see them keeping Downs. They don't need the 3rd LH and a strict long reliever isn't likely to get much work on this team, especially not enough to keep Smyly developing as a future starter.
    I can't fault your logic but the question is whether the team sees Smyly and Downs as pluggable into the same role. The other thing that I worry about in terms of long relief is that we now have 3 pitchers on the staff who rely quite a bit on the curve. I like pitchers that throw the curve, but it is hard enough to throw in warm weather, tougher still in the cold. I think as good as this staff potentially is, you still have to plan that if the weather is cold, a Fister or Porcello could get chased early more than once if they cannot command their curve.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Leyland sounds pretty disappointed with Alburquerque's spring. They may want to send him to Toledo to work on mechanics or something.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

The thought that Rondon would make the big league team but Al Al wouldn't is just ridiculous. It would honestly be disgusting if that happens imo

I can't believe the Tigers would actually be stupid enough to base major personnel decisions on spring training stats, but then they are an MLB franchise so....
    Kobernoooooous

calpon is offline MotownSports Fan

If this is between Kobernus and Kelly, I think it is a mistake....we know what Kelly brings to the team and it was lacking last year (I am a big Kelly fan because I think he is a great person, but he is a mediocre baseball player). I am not 100% sure what Kobernus is, but he has speed and can be something other than what the Tigers have without Kelly. I applaud what Berry did last year, but someone that K's as much as he does with out any power should not be in the bigs. Kobernus can play MI and OF and has close to Berry speed and he would (probably)not K as much.

Kelly and Berry VS Kobernus and Tui VS Kelly and Tui.....or is it Worth that makes him take a hike?

No great loss either way, bit I would like to see what he can do for a month or 2 in MLB VS Berry than to just give him back. I guess they just need Worth to cover 3B?

In the end, I am one of the minority that trust DD, so this is probably the right decision. (he knows more baseball than MRI and I know more MRI than baseball....that is what we get paid for).....I think it funny when a poster on a forum thinks they could do a better job then a MLB GM (well, when talking about DD predecessor, we all might claim that we could do a better job a be right :) )

Sven Draconian is offline MotownSports Fan

A little disappointed that Kobuernus didn't make the squad. I *assume* that this means that he couldn't hack it in the OF. Keeping Don Kelly is, uh, undesirable. Not saying that it is the wrong decision, just disappointing that Kobernus didn't perform well enough to be the 25th man.

Quote Originally Posted by calpon View Post
    If this is between Kobernus and Kelly,
    I wouldn't think so. The Tigers want another RH hitting OF on the roster. Kobernus' was competing with Tuiasosopo, their desire to play Garcia everyday in the minors, and/or a player not yet obtained in trade.

I'm more curious whether the fact that they haven't played him (Tui) in the OF means they already know he can, or can't.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 03-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Tim Mitchell is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    Anyone know if Seattle is looking for RP? It is really the one spot that the Tigers do have a semi-glut of as there is still about 6 players who could make the final 4 spots of the pen.
    The Mariners are loaded here.

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Kobernus was a mess...
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.