Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Official End of Jim Leyland Era Thread

Please discuss

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

PLease no

hail2mich is offline MotownSports Fan

If it really is the end of the Leyland era, I have just one thing to say. Thank you Jim.

mr0zip0 is offline MotownSports Fan

We should re-title all of the threads made in the following week "Non rational impulsive thread #_"

Either that or just merge them with the more rational yet still impulsive threads we made during the season.

Honestly. If Leyland wants to go, he will go. If he wants to stay, he will be welcomed back with another one year deal. Simple as that.

Chopper is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mr0zip0 View Post
    We should re-title all of the threads made in the following week "Non rational impulsive thread #_"

Either that or just merge them with the more rational yet still impulsive threads we made during the season.

Honestly. If Leyland wants to go, he will go. If he wants to stay, he will be welcomed back with another one year deal. Simple as that.
    This is the "official" thread.
    Country strong

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    This is the "official" thread.
    Lol. The 'o' word obviously makes it better than the nine other threads made this year about him I quickly found via search.

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mr0zip0 View Post

I wonder. If the owner was so happy to have him back, why no extension yet? They extended him before immediately before the playoffs, why not this year? It would seem someone still had doubts. If the internal narrative turns out to be that the Yankees were an old collapsing team, then what you have is Oakland taking us to the brink of elimination and SF sweeping us and woeful offensive execution under pressure in both series.
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Jim Leyland is a dumb manager who does dumb things, I think he's a good guy, I'm appreciative of the work he has done with the Tigers. Even had they won the World Series I still wouldn't want him back. He's out of place in the modern game.
    Kobernoooooous

jbhappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I wonder. If the owner was so happy to have him back, why no extension yet? They extended him before immediately before the playoffs, why not this year? It would seem someone still had doubts. If the internal narrative turns out to be that the Yankees were an old collapsing team, then what you have is Oakland taking us to the brink of elimination and SF sweeping us and woeful offensive execution under pressure in both series.
    I thought he had said he just didn't want the in-season distraction this season. That could mean a number of things, but it at least makes me think that management wanted him back.
    This ain't the planet of sound.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Leyland may be the most successful manager the Tigers have ever had. Two world series and three playoff appearances is nothing to shake a stick at.

But it would be nice if next year the Tigers make the playoffs and Leyland lets someone else manage the team during the playoff games...
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Tigers' GM Dave Dombrowski: 'Jim Leyland is welcome back' | Detroit Tigers | Detroit Free Press | freep.com-

Note that this was said before the World Series, but I doubt four losses change this.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhappy View Post
    I thought he had said he just didn't want the in-season distraction this season. That could mean a number of things, but it at least makes me think that management wanted him back.
    Maybe they could have used the distraction. Leyland has implied often enough through the last part of the season that he was waiting on them. Meh - he's a wierd bird.

I would still really like to see Lloyd gone though. Haven't liked this teams approaches all year. Either he is hitting a wall with too many of them or they aren't listening to him - either way I'm ready to see what someone else can do. We didn't even make any of these pitchers work to win, and that is pretty lame - and we've been doing it all year.
    "Well that's it - you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear" - Rock Man

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Leyland may be the most successful manager the Tigers have ever had. Two world series and three playoff appearances is nothing to shake a stick at.

But it would be nice if next year the Tigers make the playoffs and Leyland lets someone else manage the team during the playoff games...
    Leyland is a good long-term manager. He is patient, and this helps with the clubhouse atmosphere, helps to take pressure off during the season, and players don't have to worry about losing their jobs due to short-term slumps. I think over the course of an entire 162-game season, these big things are far more important than the day-to-day stuff, second guessing lineups and bullpen decisions, etc.

I don't think his style is good for the playoffs, however. The roster has to be managed to win every game. In this sense, we shouldn't have Berry batting second, shouldn't have had the Valverde experiment continue, there should have been immediate pressure on Fielder to fix his amateur playoff plate approach, etc. He was kind of hamstrung in that we didn't have anyone else all that much better to put in there, but I think Dirks did fine batting second when he did this season.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

My guess is that if they won he'd retire. As such he wants one more chance.

More successful than Sparky btw.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

It's not Leyland's job to fix the hitters. That's why we have a hitting coach.

THAT'S the guy who has to be fired. Not that it will happen.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

Leyland's done, and it's his decision. I just have a feeling.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

Jackson?

To me that is one reason he might be better off gone in my view. Yeah - I'll give Jim all kinds of props on his clubhouse, but it took him 5 years to finally find a pitching coach who seems to be able to actually help our guys get better, and the team's hitting approach is pretty much in the toilet now. It's fine that he is loyal to his friends, but his first obligation is that he need coaches that can help improve his team. I just kept laughing all season when reports of Llyod working with Boesch to tweak his swing kept hitting the press, like *how* he swung was ever any great part of his problem. While the mechanics work with Jackson was great, the playoffs have been a microcosm of the fact as a team, pitch and pattern recognition and PA strategy are a lot bigger problems than swing mechanics.

As much as I dislike Leyland the hitting approach goes to Dombrowski to me. He's the one that gave Leyland a team of Delmon Youngs
    Kobernoooooous

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    As much as I dislike Leyland the hitting approach goes to Dombrowski to me. He's the one that gave Leyland a team of Delmon Youngs

Just to recap.

Jackson, Infante, Dirks, Cabrera, Fielder, Berry = Demon Young.

Yeah - there is that, but even Delmon took more walks per PA with Minny than he has with us.

NJTiger is offline MotownSports Fan

let's not forget that next year we have vmart back and delmon gone.
    go get em' tigers!

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post
    Leyland's done, and it's his decision. I just have a feeling.
    I hope he takes Lloyd with him.
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Please. I'm begging you DD, let this guy go. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTiger View Post
    let's not forget that next year we have vmart back and delmon gone.
    Just another in our team which include 1 hitter type: Delmon Young.

RJBBREZ is offline MotownSports Fan

The biggest inning of the year, he responds by pinch hitting Don Kelly. Don Kelly who had a .187 batting average all year and who had yet to have an atbat in the playoffs. Genius.

I am thankful for the work he has done in Detroit and I'll always respect him, but he's just not the guy to lead this team to a championship. He is stubborn and relies on his "gut" to much for big games. This team has reached its ceiling with Leyland running the show. Time to move on.

sabretooth is online now MotownSports Fan

I think Leyland has had a successful track record getting the big guys to play well for a whole season every year. Too bad about what happened with Prince and Miggy this offseason...not sure if that should be blamed on Leyland or not.

There are probably better options out there, but I'm content enough with Leyland. I am not going to complain if they replace him, but I am guessing that any replacement would be hated sooner or later by the few folks around here who deem the season a "failure" for not winning the WS.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

For the record, if there is better out there, by all means replace Jim leyland. But he better be better.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Jim Leyland is a dumb manager who does dumb things, I think he's a good guy, I'm appreciative of the work he has done with the Tigers. Even had they won the World Series I still wouldn't want him back. He's out of place in the modern game.
    I believe this as I have watched the replacement of several of the Tigers staff this year, Jonsey, Matlack, Ezell, Coleman, Bradshaw, and others throughout the levels. Change in direction is eminent.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    Just to recap.

Jackson, Infante, Dirks, Cabrera, Fielder, Berry = Demon Young.
    Jackson, Cabrera, Dirks and Fielder were the only very good offensive players on the team this year yes.

Meanwhile he had Delmon and Boesch batting 5th and 2nd to start the year. Yee haw
    Kobernoooooous

Just another in our team which include 1 hitter type: Delmon Young.
    I know this has to be a joke.

In no way are Vmart and DY similiar hitters. No way.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Leyland will be back next year. Lamont will be the third base coach. I could see Lloyd leaving for another team, but if another job does not open up, he'll be back too. So will Peralta.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    Leyland will be back next year. Lamont will be the third base coach. I could see Lloyd leaving for another team, but if another job does not open up, he'll be back too. So will Peralta.
    You make me want to look forward to 2014 already.
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    Please don't make this night more depressing. LOL>

Quote Originally Posted by RJBBREZ View Post
    The biggest inning of the year, he responds by pinch hitting Don Kelly. Don Kelly who had a .187 batting average all year and who had yet to have an atbat in the playoffs. Genius.

The more I think about it, the more persuaded I am that even though JL would defend it as a rational R/L match move, JL had half thrown in the towel and was giving a guy a WS AB to end his career on, as I doubt Kelly is back in '13.

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

The Tigers exceeded my expectations this year. I may be the only one.

Congrats to a great franchise like SF.

Quote Originally Posted by RJBBREZ View Post
    I know this has to be a joke.

In no way are Vmart and DY similiar hitters. No way.
    Yes. it is a complete joke. See post #19.

The more I think about it, the more persuaded I am that even though JL would defend it as a rational R/L match move, JL had half thrown in the towel and was giving a guy a WS AB to end his career on, as I doubt Kelly is back in '13.
    That is a interesting way to look at it. Nice call.

Yes. it is a complete joke. See post #19.
    Gotcha. My bad.

You can disagree with the guy's calls all you want. I know I do. Angrily in fact. But not his motives. I think his desire to win is still at full force.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast