Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Not the most reliable source, but:

@drewsharpe: Leyland says he thinks there will be an announcement regarding his expected return in a couple days. #tigers2012
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Kamakzie is offline MotownSports Fan

Please be retirement announcement. Don't promote McClendon or Lamont...
    2014 AAT: Nick Castellanos | 2013 AAL: Nate Burleson
    Brian Bluhm Estrepe1 is #1
    RIP Brian Schultz beloved cousin 10/31/1971 - 12/18/2009

Scottwood is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I've had a hunch all year that he was going to retire. I don't really care either way given the alternatives are not likely to be much better.
    Dreaming about a repeat of 1984, 1968, 1945 and 1935

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

I've felt he has been leaning towards retiring and that is the explanation as to why he has not signed an extension. I believe if he wanted to come back next year DD and Illitch would be more than happy to have him back, as would I.

This year I noticed he has been making more comments about how the team has been criticized by the fans and the media. He has repeatedly said that he and the team have been taking shots from people all year and there were a lot of doubters about this teams perceived lack of meeting expectations.

Obviously, we all know he's a sensitive guy even for all his gruff and cantankerous ways. I think he may realize that when the perception of the fans and the media starts to get to you it may be time to call it a day.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

1776 is offline MotownSports Fan

After the implosian of this team in the past week, I think he will retire. If he does, Lloyd and Lamont have to go too! This team has been to two world series under Leyland, both times as favorites, and won one game. Its time.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
    After the implosian of this team in the past week, I think he will retire. If he does, Lloyd and Lamont have to go too! This team has been to two world series under Leyland, both times as favorites, and won one game. Its time.
    Any new manager would most-definitely bring in his own coaches.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I wonder. If the owner was so happy to have him back, why no extension yet? They extended him before immediately before the playoffs, why not this year? It would seem someone still had doubts. If the internal narrative turns out to be that the Yankees were an old collapsing team, then what you have is Oakland taking us to the brink of elimination and SF sweeping us and woeful offensive execution under pressure in both series.
    Maybe Leyland himself was the one with doubts.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Not necessarily. Look at the White Sox who have had the same pitching coach through a few managers.
    VT Twitter

2014 AAT: Shannon Hogan

Well you best believe I love you baby.....when your old man ain't around.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Not necessarily. Look at the White Sox who have had the same pitching coach through a few managers.
    Pitching coaches do often stay the same... they're the highest-skilled of the coaching staff. Good pitching coaches are hard to find. Base coaches, not so much. Hitting coaches usually don't stay either.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    By that I meant, don't hire one of these two bums to manage the team. I agree, generally they clean the slate when the manager goes.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    Maybe Leyland himself was the one with doubts.
    My point all along. That's what I'm thinking.

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Leyland will be back for one more year. As much as we may not like some of his line-ups, his stubborn baseball techniques, and decisions; he's still the best available. We just lost in the World Series to a quality opponent... he'll be back.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

The White Sox would be fools to get rid of Don Cooper. If they did he'd have his choice to go to any other team, at his price.

I don't think Leyland's going anywhere.

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

I dont' think Leyland is retiring or leaving. And I don't see why he would. We have won two straight division titles and gotten to the ALCS and the World Series in consecutive seasons. That's no reason to run him out of town. I'm certainly not going to blame him for the bats disappearing for four games at the end of October after an extended period inbetween series. That's ridiculous. That's not to say I like Leyland all that much, I don't. But we could do a lot worse (and have) and there's no reason to fix something that isn't broke.
    The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. - George Washington August 26, 1776.

tater6 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    As much as I dislike Leyland the hitting approach goes to Dombrowski to me. He's the one that gave Leyland a team of Delmon Youngs
    I agree with you about getting rid of Leyland but I don't recall Dombrowski putting a gun to his head to bat Young 5th. Young had his best ABs last year batting ahead of Miggy, yet he chose to bat him behind Fielder the whole year. Just one more questionable decision that makes me want Leyland gone.

If the WSox had not crashed and burned at the end of the season, this would be the official good bye Leyland thread. Unfortunately they did so we'll be stuck with the stubborn old man and his losers for at least another year.
    Last edited by tater6; 10-29-2012 at 11:27 AM.

macedonian bengal is offline MotownSports Fan

OZZIE GUILLEN, anyone?
    2014 AAT Lhp Kevin Ziomek

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

I normally hate Leyland as a manger, but can't really complain with anything he did during the series. Guys gotta hit.

Not sure what short of live competitive games (the video of the scrimmages looked like glorified BP to me) they could have done to stay sharp as the layoff surely hurt their game 1 performance as it has every team that's come into the series in that spot. The difference in emotion and sharpness from sweeping a team vs coming back from a 3-1 deficit is tough to overcome
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by macedonian bengal View Post
    OZZIE GUILLEN, anyone?
    Only if you want things to get worse.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Maybe they could have used the distraction. Leyland has implied often enough through the last part of the season that he was waiting on them. Meh - he's a wierd bird.

I would still really like to see Lloyd gone though. Haven't liked this teams approaches all year. Either he is hitting a wall with too many of them or they aren't listening to him - either way I'm ready to see what someone else can do. We didn't even make any of these pitchers work to win, and that is pretty lame - and we've been doing it all year.
    Most of the guys with such an approach have a long track record of it that is way beyond Lloyd. You aren't turning Delmon,Peralta,Boesch,Berry and Infante into .360+ OBP guys who take pitchers like Kevin Youkilis all of a sudden. I think Mcclendon is fine. We've seen him do some pretty impressie work at times and he never gets credit for that.

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Most of the guys with such an approach have a long track record of it that is way beyond Lloyd. You aren't turning Delmon,Peralta,Boesch,Berry and Infante into .360+ OBP guys who take pitchers like Kevin Youkilis all of a sudden. I think Mcclendon is fine. We've seen him do some pretty impressie work at times and he never gets credit for that.
    The work with Jackson is pretty huge IMO. Nobody is going to change guys like Peralta and Young who've been around forever and never changed their approaches. We could bring in the best hitting coach in history and some of these guys will still swing at everything
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by will the thrill View Post
    The work with Jackson is pretty huge IMO. Nobody is going to change guys like Peralta and Young who've been around forever and never changed their approaches. We could bring in the best hitting coach in history and some of these guys will still swing at everything
    Exactly and the year before I thought he did some great work with Boesch,Raburn,Peralta and Avila.

Charlie1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Does Kirk Gibson have a contract for 2013?

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by macedonian bengal View Post
    OZZIE GUILLEN, anyone?
    This is a joke, right? Guillen got run out of both Chicago and Miami. Why would he be an upgrade over Leyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1 View Post
    Does Kirk Gibson have a contract for 2013?
    Yes.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

This is the official end of the official end of Jim Leyland Era Thread.....

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Welcome back Jimmy! Feel free to fire Lamont.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I thought this thread was about somebody's undershorts.

Hoping they finally give Lloyd the "bench coach" title and give Toby Harrah more responsibilities.
    Although Lloyd did a great job with Jackson, and it is easier to polish a diamond, there are some
    really awful plate approaches on this ballclub. I wish Miggy was the batting coach - his approach
    to hitting is absolutely the best I've ever seen.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

lordstanley is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tater6 View Post

If the WSox had not crashed and burned at the end of the season, this would be the official good bye Leyland thread. Unfortunately they did so we'll be stuck with the stubborn old man and his losers for at least another year.
    Unfortunately? I never understand that type of logic. Forfeit the division title and pennant the Tigers actually did win, so that the manager will be replaced and a new manager hired who will ... try to win a division title and pennant to make up for the one that we wished away.

Jeff6851 is offline MotownSports Fan

And had they not overachieved the entire season then the Tigers would have been the only ALC team above 80 wins, probably 90 if the WS don't win a couple that they won against Detroit.

I don't know why people think the manager has so much control over performance. Was he supposed to make Avila and Peralta repeat from last year? Was he supposed to make Delmon a Gold Glove outfielder? What do you guys want from him? This team was expected to be the best because it was thought that those three could continue their offensive output from last year and all three fell way back. That's not on Leyland. Leyland makes the important behind the scene decisions that the fans don't realize.

That's why two time WS manager Francona got fired, he couldn't control his team. That's why two time WS losing manager Leyland is keeping his job.

Players have to perform and if they don't, it's probably because the league adjusted to it or they changed what they were doing. MLB isn't just about the Tigers performing or underperforming, it's about 30 teams giving it their all and 29 teams come up short at the end of the year. Before Leyland came here second place was a pipe dream, now we have two WS appearances, a Game 163 and two division championships in a row.
    2012 AL Champs

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Leyland did have to get creative at times - given Jackson's injury, then Dirks was hurt, and Boesch decided
    to regress to something around an A Ball level of hitting.

The lack of options at #2 and #5 in the lineup did tie his hands during those periods. However, once Dirks came
    back and Berry remembered that he is an AAAA player, then it wouldn't have hurt to try Dirks higher in the order.
    I've always viewed #6 as more of an RBI spot, making Peralta a better option there (usually).

Berry did NOTHING after the end of July, I see:
    Quintin Berry 2012 Batting Splits - Baseball-Reference.com

To be fair, Peralta did have a really lousy September, but I still think Dirks would have been a better fit at #2
    since he's more of a singles/doubles guy. Then you hit Infante #8 and Berry #9. It should be noted that Dirks did manage 7 RBI in 10 starts at #6, but personally I think he has more value getting on base for the big boys to drive him in.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Are you one of those fans that would give up a World Series appearance or title just so people on the team you hate get traded/DFA'd/fired? Cool.
    Adopt-a-Tiger 2014: José Ortega

Walkoff Woodward | Cats With Bats | walkoffwoodward | catswithbats

JayVee is offline MotownSports Fan

"Probably 'Tom in Royal Oak' isn't too happy right now, but that's OK." Leyland said. "That's just the way it goes. I'm sorry Tom, but I'm back."

2014 AAT -- #8 Wally Joyner -- Hitting Coach Extraordinaire
    Μολὼν λαβέ -- SONJE HAITI

toadhunter911 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
    Were the Tigers really favorite to win the Series this year?

SF winning % .580
    DET winning % .543

SF home record 48-33
    DET road record 38-43 (remember the Giants had home field advantage)
    “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NIV84

tananarama is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post

Hoping they finally give Lloyd the "bench coach" title . . .
    May not have to. Apparently Lloyd has interviewed for the Marlins' manager job.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/2012103140135884/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12