Your thoughts ??
    2014 AAT: Alex Avila
    2013 AAT: Mario Impemba 2012 AAT: Al Kaline 2011 AAT: Willie Horton
    Mafia Code of Silence: "3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I hate Illinois Nazis
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Buck Martinez on TBS was blatantly biased. The rest weren't noticeable
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

waffel is offline MotownSports Fan

Pretty sure McCarver was either drunk for some of the games or on some kinda meds.

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

Oh the coverage skewed San Fran. I think it was more lazy than anything. they have a lot of guys that work hard to be weird and it makes a much easier story.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

There was nothing positive to say about the Tigers the entire four games, yet I didn't think they were blatantly against the Tigers at all. Gosh, it was hard to say much about them. If anything they could've been a ton more critical about the Tigers and could've shred them to pieces. Price and Dickerson were harsher on the Tigers.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    Oh the coverage skewed San Fran. I think it was more lazy than anything. they have a lot of guys that work hard to be weird and it makes a much easier story.
    San Francisco reminded me of kids in grade school who would think being random was funny and that doing so would get them tons of attention. Annoying.
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

If we ever get to the point where our Directv receiver can synch Dickerson audio with the Fox video feed...I'll be happy.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    There was nothing positive to say about the Tigers the entire four games, yet I didn't think they were blatantly against the Tigers at all. Gosh, it was hard to say much about them. If anything they could've been a ton more critical about the Tigers and could've shred them to pieces. Price and Dickerson were harsher on the Tigers.
    I disagree. They were all San Fran cause it was easier to wrap your head around romobombing, wilson's beard etc. So it made for more compelling TV. It was biased from a story perspective. And really. they showed teh Fielder play at the plate about 40 times, even in tonight's broadcast They showed a reply of Cabrera's HR once.

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

They did a fine job.

I miss Kruk and Kuip and Mario and Rod however.
    Retired. Thanks for the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaTigers View Post
    San Francisco reminded me of kids in grade school who would think being random was funny and that doing so would get them tons of attention. Annoying.
    Right. And the Fox coverage is lazy and hacky. So of course they globbed on to it.

Slum Chemist is offline MotownSports Fan

Agreed. Their bias had such a huge impact on the games too.

guy incognito is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jonjd View Post
    They did a fine job.

I miss Kruk and Kuip and Mario and Rod however.
    Kruk and Kuip were on the SF radio broadcasts along with Jon Miller and Dave Flemming. I didn't really listen to them during the WS, but that whole Giants crew is actually pretty top-notch.

I'm a little surprised the Tigers and WXYT didn't similarly make room for Mario and Rod. Not that I'm a huge fan of theirs, but for a lot of casual Tiger fans who mainly watch games on TV they probably are considered "the voices" of the team more than Dan and Jim are. They could have had them call the middle innings of each game or something. I can't say I missed them, though.

I didn't hear the ESPN Radio duo of Shulman and Hershiser during the WS either, but during one of the ALCS games Orel mentioned growing up near 12 Mile and Evergreen and rooting for the Tigers in '68. He even gave a little shout-out to Ernie Harwell and Ray Lane.

I did try listening to the BBC Radio guy at one point just for the hell of it, but the feed was unavailable outside the UK.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    It is common for fan bases to think national broadcasts are slanted in the other team's favor.
    Add to this, the fact that the Tigers didn't provide a whole lot of moments to move the spotlight off of SF and onto themselves and it's easy to understand how some people might feel Detroit got the short end of the stick.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

tiger337 is online now MotownSports Writer

I think the Tigers are viewed as an overpaid under-achieving softball team nationally. So,that could be part of it.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Add to this, the fact that the Tigers didn't provide a whole lot of moments to move the spotlight off of SF and onto themselves and it's easy to understand how some people might feel Detroit got the short end of the stick.
    Indeed. I didn't hear any bias in the audio when I listened to the Dynamically Dull Duo, but McCarver's smug smile through all of it told me he took great joy in the Detroit losses.
    VT Twitter 2014 AAT: Shannon Hogan

Give me a dollar or give me 50 cents. Let me take it back if that ain't what I meant.

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Indeed. I didn't hear any bias in the audio when I listened to the Dynamically Dull Duo, but McCarver's smug smile through all of it told me he took great joy in the Detroit losses.
    He is most definitely a lousy color guy. He mentioned Bob Gibson so much throughout the series, I thought he signed with San Fransisco.
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

He is most definitely a lousy color guy. He mentioned Bob Gibson so much throughout the series, I thought he signed with San Fransisco.

And, to quote our Twitter friend Designate Robinson, "Joe Buck complains about the weather more than my grandmother".

Give me a dollar or give me 50 cents. Let me take it back if that ain't what I meant.

waffel is offline MotownSports Fan

I felt they did a fine job. There was simply nothing to talk about for the Tigers outside of our pitching and the triple crown.

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I didn't notice any bias. Fox would tailor their commentary to fit the broadest demographic for ratings purposes, and the end result could be the perception of bias.

It is common for fan bases to think national broadcasts are slanted in the other team's favor.
    I recognize that...but for me...the act of listening to these games is personal and should not be left up to the description of some third party who doesn't have a dog in the fight. And for whatever combination of reasons, Buck/McCarver are loathsomely worse than almost any other broadcasters that might have covered this...

Would prefer that MLB network puts Vasgersian in to call these games for example.

MissouriKaline6 is offline MotownSports Fan

One of my biggest issues with Joe Buck is no one gives a crap outside of STL about where a STL kid went to HS. And no on really in STL cares where Max went to HS, because he plays for Detroit, not STL.

I about barfed when he did that with Max last night. No joe, you are not in STL, most people in STL were not watching the game, case in point my father in law was in the other room last night watching football.

Why he needs to bring STL into a national telecast not involving a STL team is wierd.. he does it in both fb and baseball.
    2014 AAT: Joba Chamberlin

will the thrill is offline MotownSports Fan

especially when their team is getting their tail kicked. It's the same with officiating
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

when he was comparing Verlander to Bob Gibson, that's not a bad thing.
    Put me on record. Prince Fielder will still OPS 850+ in years 7-8-9 of this contract. (sucks that my signature has to stay this for 7 years now)

lordstanley is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't like Buck because he is bland and I don't like McCarver because he is stale. But I don't think they are that biased and I also believe their impact on ratings is negligible.

BFK
    BFK is offline MotownSports Fan

Watch the vid of the last out of the '68 Series. See the lonely tyke running out the pop-up he just hit? That's Tim McCarver. Sometimes I believe that day taints his attitude towards the Tigers, as in 'He hates our guts'. Maybe not, be he sure seems to be having the most fun when we're being whipped.

And did my ears deceive me last night, or did I hear Joe Buck say that Don Kelly 'Had not batted once' during the post season?
    I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?
    -Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by BFK View Post
    Watch the vid of the last out of the '68 Series. See the lonely tyke running out the pop-up he just hit? That's Tim McCarver. Sometimes I believe that day taints his attitude towards the Tigers, as in 'He hates our guts'. Maybe not, be he sure seems to be having the most fun when we're being whipped.

And did my ears deceive me last night, or did I hear Joe Buck say that Don Kelly 'Had not batted once' during the post season?

yep, that was his first at bat this postseason

Quote Originally Posted by will the thrill View Post
    yep, that was his first at bat this postseason
    crap, even I read it wrong, forgot about the game winning sac fly, but in his defense it was like a month ago

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

guy incognito is offline MotownSports Fan

At least when Price rattles on about Kaline, Horton, Freehan, Lolich, etc. it's to an audience of all Tiger fans, in a game the Tigers are actually playing in.

I talked to my mom (who's a very casual Tiger fan, and certainly doesn't know from announcers) on the phone last night about the game, and she made a point of bringing up how much Buck and McCarver were irritating her.
    Last edited by guy incognito; 10-29-2012 at 01:42 PM.

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

I read message boards from teams across MLB and other sports. I have yet to find anybody who thinks the national broadcasters are biased FOR their team. During a Wings/Blackhawks game in the spring game threads on both teams' boards were complaining all game that the refs and announcers were against their team.

I think fans have gotten soft with biased home team announcers during the regular season and they can't handle national announcers who, for the most part, are neutral.
    "This is Michigan, for god's sake!"
    -Brady Hoke

Why do they use the home radio announcer along with the video feed of great moments?

I mean we fans are soft and all.

lordstanley is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    And, to quote our Twitter friend Designate Robinson, "Joe Buck complains about the weather more than my grandmother".
    Why does Joe Buck complain about Designate Robinson's grandmother at all?

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    Why does Joe Buck complain about Designate Robinson's grandmother at all?
    I see what you did there.

John Elway's Teeth is offline MotownSports Fan

Rick Sutcliffe should be fired - he is horrible.

tigerjoe is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't know about bias I just hate Buck and McCarver. One time when Miggy appealed to the first base ump on a checked swing those two morons talked about how it showed Miggy was amped up for the game not knowing Miggy does that all the time. Besides their ignorance, I hate their voices. Joe Buck sounds like Bullwinkle on qualudes while McCarver sounds like a bird getting a prostate exam