Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default A tip of the cap to Delmon Young

For what it is worth;

It's a bit suprising to me that nobody is talking about Delmon Young taking over the Tigers team record for post season home runs. The previous record was 5 and now Delmon has 7 total.

Also, so far in the series, Fielder has 33 AB's 1 HR and 3 RBI's and Cabrera has 31 AB's with 0 HR's and 3 RBI's. Combind that is 64 at bats, 1 HR and 6 RBI's.

Delmon Young has 31 AB's 2 HR's and 7 RBI's this post season and has accounted for almost 1/3 of the Tigers runs batted in this post season. (That's 7 RBI's out of 22 RBI's for the Tigers team as a whole!)

AND...

Don't be suprised if Delmon Young is the ALCS MVP.....
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger69 View Post
    For what it is worth;

It's a bit suprising to me that nobody is talking about Delmon Young taking over the Tigers team record for post season home runs. The previous record was 5 and now Delmon has 7 total.

Also, so far in the series, Fielder has 33 AB's 1 HR and 3 RBI's and Cabrera has 31 AB's with 0 HR's and 3 RBI's. Combind that is 64 at bats, 1 HR and 6 RBI's.

Delmon Young has 31 AB's 2 HR's and 7 RBI's this post season and has accounted for almost 1/3 of the Tigers runs batted in this post season. (That's 7 RBI's out of 22 RBI's for the Tigers team as a whole!)

AND...

Don't be suprised if Delmon Young is the ALCS MVP.....
    I agree....dude is killing it in the post season. He will never get the credit he deserves because he doesn't walk enough and he called someone a derrogatory name.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Charlie1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    I agree....dude is killing it in the post season. He will never get the credit he deserves because he doesn't walk enough and he called someone a derrogatory name.
    And he got a 50 game suspension for throwing a bat at an umpire.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1 View Post
    Aaaaaaand Miguel Cabrera was arrested for drunk driving....so what?
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

If Delmon wins the ALCS MVP, I will recognize his accomplishment and send him a $25 gift card to Bed Bath & Beyond.

He will still be a terrible baseball player, though.

But a terrible baseball player with a new pillow.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1 View Post
    It was a really bad umpire though.

davidsb is offline MotownSports Fan

We should sign him to a 2013 contract and only play him September 30th and in the post-season.

tiger337 is offline MotownSports Writer

Young certainly has done well for the Tigers in post-season and he deserves credit for it. However, the Tigers have not been in a lot of post-seasons and most of the ones they have been in involved one series so it's not like past Tigers had much of a chance at big home run totals. That is probably the reason not many are excited about the record.

ALCS MVP? The whole playoffs has been about starting pitching, but a four-game sweep would make it difficult to choose one pitcher. So, I suppose Young has a shot.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

If he wants credit, he'll need to actually produce in the regular season, as opposed to 30 at bats in the playoffs.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

I'll tip my cap when he holds the Tigers WS home run record, "post season" isn't a fair comparison for players prior to the divisional/wild card era.
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

And he's a bad player.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    And he's a bad player.
    He would have knocked in 130 runs if Cabrera and Fielder didn't clog up the bases.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

"They can use both (old- and new-school statistics)," Cabrera said. "In 2012, we've got to take advantage of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsb View Post
    It was a really bad umpire though.
    And that guy he assaulted in the hotel was a White Sox fan.
    Lee Panas
    detroittigertales.com

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

What is his OPS, is it above .800?

Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Peralta, IMO. He has one more hit than Delmon, but Delmon has the 2 HR. Peralta has been huge defensively. That puts him ahead of Young, IMO.

But who knows what will happen the rest of the series.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Yoda is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    What is his OPS, is it above .800?
    For the entire post-season, Delmon has a .813 OPS. His contribution of absolutely nothing in the ALDS brought it down a bit.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Eric Cioe is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tiger337 View Post
    ALCS MVP? The whole playoffs has been about starting pitching, but a four-game sweep would make it difficult to choose one pitcher. So, I suppose Young has a shot.
    The 2001 WS MVP got split between two starters, no reason they couldn't split the ALCS MVP among four. They're the ones who deserve it.
    "I can't say I'm pleased to see you and warn you I may have to do something about it." Knut Hamsun

rhino is online now MotownSports Fan

The guy's having a good series, give him some credit. What's so hard about simply saying:

"Good job Delmon! Keep up the good work!"
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

I'm extremely happy that Delmon is having a good series. I hope he hits 5 HR in the world series. After that, the only ever time I want to see him again is in an opponent's uniform.

RobSk is offline MotownSports Fan

I disagree. I think elmon OldAppearingGuy gets precisely the credit he deserves. Which will hopefully lead to his outright release this offseason.

You forgot to mention that his one failing: He's a TERRIBLE major league baseball player! Just terrible.

Offense: Bad
    Defense: Absymally awful.

Overall: Awful

I think his bad offense pulls his overall rating up from Abysmally awful up to merely regular awful.

Offensive breakdown (and I use the word "Offensive" on purpose):

Average: He makes decent contact- Average average hitter (32nd out of 53 qualifying players) (and I enjoyed putting the word average twice in a row)
    Power: Poor power for a corner OF or DH - 40th out of 53 qualifying players in slugging.
    Patience: HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HA. Ha. ha. He isn't patient. He draws no walks. Hence, his overall OBP is really bad.
    Baserunning: No, he doesn't. He doesn't get onbase, and when he does, he doesn't "run".

Overall Offense: Over the last 2 years, elmon OldAppearingGuy has been 48th out of 53 qualifying players in wOBA. What is that? It's basically OPS, corrected to give more credit to guys that hit more singles and walk less (because singles are more valuable than walks). Basically, it's the stat invented to help guys like Elmon OldAppearingGuy to look as good as they can (and deserve). He's ******48th out of 53******** in the majors. That's just horrific. You understand, this isn't even talking about his "efense".

efensive Breakdown: (Yes, elmon Young *is* a walking efensive breakdown. End Transmission.) I am not bothering with stats because I can't type numbers that low.

He's a bad player. Bad. Bad.

Hitting some homers in the playoffs doesn't make him a good player, it makes him a bad player that happens to have hit some homers in the post-season. It highlights just how much he doesn't care normally, and now, with years of MLB experience and no improvement under his belt, it's clear he will NEVER care, and NEVER improve.

I tip my cap to elmon OldAppearingGuy! In farewell. Buhbye!

Rob
    VT
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
    - G.K. Chesterton

RobSk is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    The guy's having a good series, give him some credit. What's so hard about simply saying:

It's hard because I don't believe any of the words in the above statement.

Rob
    VT
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
    - G.K. Chesterton

qsilvr2531 is offline MotownSports Fan

He's had an excellent ALCS and I hope he keeps it up in the WS. He was terrible in the ALDS and I hope he does much better in the WS.

The interesting thing, to me, is if you look at Young's posteason numbers he's been an absolutely monster against the Yankees and absolutely terrible against everyone else.
    Slowsilver: They did a study at Baseball Prospectus and found out that bionic parts increase WARP23 by 6.7% on average. Back in the steroid era, steroids only increased WARP23 by 4.6%

Quote Originally Posted by RobSk View Post
    I disagree.
    ...rambling...

Hitting some homers in the playoffs doesn't make him a good player, it makes him a bad player that happens to have hit some homers in the post-season. It highlights just how much he doesn't care normally, and now, with years of MLB experience and no improvement under his belt, it's clear he will NEVER care, and NEVER improve.

I tip my cap to elmon OldAppearingGuy! In farewell. Buhbye!

Rob
    I mean how would you rate Robinson Cano as a baseball player with the Yankees this post season?

If your right, I hope the Tigers find more bad players who happen to hit some home runs in next years post season too.
    Last edited by STLTiger69; 10-17-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    “Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” -Will Rogers

ErieTigerFan is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post

I've made no secret of the fact that I like Delmon and he does come up with clutch hits, just not a lot during the season (but down the stretch....yeah....). He came up big last year in the post-season, and here he is doing it again. I think he fits this team and its chemistry. I know Martinez is coming back next year, but can we really expect out of him what he's produced in the past? I don't know, and I'm not highly optimistic. I say we bring Delmon back, but hope he will settle for a 1-year, $5M contract.

Does everyone recall the series against the Twins in (I think it was) '09 when Bonderman hit Young with a pitch in retaliation for a beaned Tiger? I can't recall who the hit batter or Twins pitcher was, but when you'd think Delmon would have been ticked at Bonderman for hitting him, I remember he turned towards his own dugout and yelled at his own pitcher: "See what that got us?" Guy's a team player and a gentleman (incidents in NEW YORK notwithstanding).

Y'all can stop retching now.
    Last edited by ErieTigerFan; 10-17-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: dang spelling
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Rick Porcello
    2013 Adopt A Tiger: Devon Travis
    2012 Adopt A Tiger: David Pauley

It's hard because I don't believe any of the words in the above statement.

Rob
    Biased. Too bad. No time to be a Tiger-hater. Hence, your posts hating on one player are really bush-league, bro.
    Last edited by ErieTigerFan; 10-17-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ErieTigerFan View Post
    Biased. Too bad. No time to be a Tiger-hater. Hence, your posts hating on one player are really bush-league, bro.
    Yeah it is.

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

It appears that the focus level and discipline at the plate goes up dramatically in the postseason. He's obviously very talented; however, for whatever reason never has put it all together to be an above average MLB ballplayer.

Peralta, Young, and the pitching has carried this team. It's a mark of a good team, since our two big boys aren't putting up the long balls like they have during the regular season. I think Cabrera has a big name tonight.
    I like a man who grins when he fights--- Sir Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalTigers View Post
    I think Cabrera has a big game tonight.
    Fixed it for ya. No charge.

And yeah.....I think (and hope) you're right. He's past due.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

I say we bring Delmon back, but hope he will settle for a 1-year, $5M contract.
    In fairness, I think the issue for Delmon Young next year with the Tigers is simply roster room and his cost for next year. With the emergence of Garcia, Dirks and Jackson (and this doesn't include possible contributions of Berry or Boesch) Young doesn't really have much AB's coming to him in 2013 in the outfield, and with Victor Martinez coming back, Young will not have a lot of AB's waiting for him as a DH either in 2013.

The Tigers will also have to decide what to do with free agents and team option players like: Valverde ($9M 2012), Sanchez ($8M), Young ($6.75M), Dotel ($3.5M option for 2013) Raburn ($2.1M) and don't forget Inge's contract amount ($5M) will be off the books too. The Tigers could save as much as $34M by declining team options or letting free agents walk. Even with arbitration elgible players taking a chunk of that potential $34M, if the Tigers play their cards right they might have money to keep a player or to or even go after another top free agent.

I just wanted to say Delmon Young is having a good ALCS, but I do think the Tigers team will go a different direction with the outfield and Delmon will find a decent contract somewhere else.

...rambling...

I mean how would you rate Robinson Cano as a baseball player with the Yankees this post season?

If your right, I hope the Tigers find more bad players who happen to hit some home runs in next years post season too.
    You can have Delmon. I'll take Cano.

Yeah, I would much, much, much rather have Cano, the last four games notwithstanding.

I will stop being a Tigers fan if they re-sign Delmon.

But he has totally owned this series, and I tip my hat to him.
    Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 10-17-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Lol

qsilvr2531 is offline MotownSports Fan

I've made no secret of the fact that I like Delmon and he does come up with clutch hits, just not a lot during the season (but down the stretch....yeah....). He came up big last year in the post-season, and here he is doing it again. I think he fits this team and its chemistry. I know Martinez is coming back next year, but can we really expect out of him what he's produced in the past? I don't know, and I'm not highly optimistic. I say we bring Delmon back, but hope he will settle for a 1-year, $5M contract.

Does everyone recall the series against the Twins in (I think it was) '09 when Bonderman hit Young with a pitch in retaliation for a beaned Tiger? I can't recall who the hit batter or Twins pitcher was, but when you'd think Delmon would have been ticked at Bonderman for hitting him, I remember he turned towards his own dugout and yelled at his own pitcher: "See what that got us?" Guy's a team player and a gentleman (incidents in NEW YORK notwithstanding).

Y'all can stop retching now.
    "he does come up with clutch hits, just not a lot during the season" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the guy.

Young should thank Verlander for his performance against the A's. Without it Young goes from being viewed as a clutch playoff star to a guy that was even worse in the playoffs than the regular season.

Cabrera has a .955 OPS so far this series. It's unreasonable to expect him to be significantly better than he's been so far. Fielder, on the other hand, is someone that's definitely "due."
    Slowsilver: They did a study at Baseball Prospectus and found out that bionic parts increase WARP23 by 6.7% on average. Back in the steroid era, steroids only increased WARP23 by 4.6%

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

He will never get the credit he deserves because he doesn't walk enough and he called someone a derrogatory name.
    Or he's a terrible terrible baseball player 99% of the time, but maybe you're right.

I'd only be happy with Delmon ever wearing a Tigers uniform after this season if his contract included a clause saying he could only play against the Yankees in the postseason.

I do have to tip my cap to Delmon making fun of Yankee stadium in his postgame interview.
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Yeah, I would much, much, much rather have Cano, the last four games notwithstanding.

I will stop being a Tigers fan if the re-sign Delmon.

But he has totally owned this series, and I tip my hat to him.
    lol, speaking of Cano check out his post seasons numbers...

Year Series Opp AB H HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    2005 ALDS LAA 19 5 0 5 2 4 .263 .333 .421 .754
    2006 ALDS DET 15 2 0 0 0 1 .133 .133 .133 .267
    2007 ALDS CLE 15 5 2 3 1 1 .333 .375 .800 1.175
    2009 ALDS MIN 12 2 0 1 0 1 .167 .167 .167 .333
    2009 ALCS LAA 23 6 0 4 4 3 .261 .414 .478 .892
    2009 WS PHI 22 3 0 1 0 5 .136 .130 .136 .267
    2010 ALDS MIN 12 4 0 1 0 0 .333 .333 .500 .833
    2010 ALCS TEX 23 8 4 5 1 3 .348 .375 .913 1.288
    2011 ALDS DET 22 7 2 9 2 4 .318 .375 .682 1.057
    2012 ALDS BAL 22 2 0 4 1 3 .091 .130 .182 .312
    2012 ALCS DET 14 1 0 0 0 2 .071 .071 .071 .143
    7 Yrs (11 Series) 199 45 8 33 11 27 .226 .272 .427 .699
    7 ALDS 117 27 4 23 6 14 .231 .268 .419 .687
    3 ALCS 60 15 4 9 5 8 .250 .328 .550 .878
    1 WS 22 3 0 1 0 5 .136 .130 .136 .267

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 10/17/2012.

I say this as a joke, but perhaps the Yankees NEED Delmon Young!

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysthrowheat View Post
    You can have Delmon. I'll take Cano.
    Respectfully this playoff series I'd still go with Delmon Young so far....

lol, speaking of Cano check out his post seasons numbers...

Year Series Opp AB H HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    2005 ALDS LAA 19 5 0 5 2 4 .263 .333 .421 .754
    2006 ALDS DET 15 2 0 0 0 1 .133 .133 .133 .267
    2007 ALDS CLE 15 5 2 3 1 1 .333 .375 .800 1.175
    2009 ALDS MIN 12 2 0 1 0 1 .167 .167 .167 .333
    2009 ALCS LAA 23 6 0 4 4 3 .261 .414 .478 .892
    2009 WS PHI 22 3 0 1 0 5 .136 .130 .136 .267
    2010 ALDS MIN 12 4 0 1 0 0 .333 .333 .500 .833
    2010 ALCS TEX 23 8 4 5 1 3 .348 .375 .913 1.288
    2011 ALDS DET 22 7 2 9 2 4 .318 .375 .682 1.057
    2012 ALDS BAL 22 2 0 4 1 3 .091 .130 .182 .312
    2012 ALCS DET 14 1 0 0 0 2 .071 .071 .071 .143
    7 Yrs (11 Series) 199 45 8 33 11 27 .226 .272 .427 .699
    7 ALDS 117 27 4 23 6 14 .231 .268 .419 .687
    3 ALCS 60 15 4 9 5 8 .250 .328 .550 .878
    1 WS 22 3 0 1 0 5 .136 .130 .136 .267

Generated 10/17/2012.

I say this as a joke, but perhaps the Yankees NEED Delmon Young!
    If you could generate one like that for A-Roid I would love to see that.

So Cano has a .700 OPS in 200 post-season AB and Delmon has an 0.820 OPS in 90 AB and I am supposed to overlook the difference in regular season performance and defense?

Also, the difference in OPS is largely due to slugging. .120 of slugging over 200 AB is 24 total bases. Not to knock 24 total bases, but it isn't the end all be all.

If you could generate one like that for A-Roid I would love to see that.
    Once upon a time before the end of the 2009 post season, he had some good post seasons, but then,.....

Year Series Opp Rslt AB HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    1995 ALDS NYY W 1 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000
    1995 ALCS CLE L 1 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000
    1997 ALDS BAL L 16 1 1 0 5 .313 .313 .563 .875
    2000 ALDS CHW W 13 0 2 0 2 .308 .308 .308 .615
    2000 ALCS NYY L 22 2 5 3 8 .409 .480 .773 1.253
    2004 ALDS MIN W 19 1 3 2 1 .421 .476 .737 1.213
    2004 ALCS BOS L 31 2 5 4 6 .258 .378 .516 .895
    2005 ALDS LAA L 15 0 0 6 5 .133 .435 .200 .635
    2006 ALDS DET L 14 0 0 0 4 .071 .133 .071 .205
    2007 ALDS CLE L 15 1 1 2 6 .267 .353 .467 .820
    2009 ALDS MIN W 11 2 6 1 2 .455 .500 1.000 1.500
    2009 ALCS LAA W 21 3 6 8 3 .429 .567 .952 1.519
    2009 WS PHI W 20 1 6 3 8 .250 .423 .550 .973
    2010 ALDS MIN W 11 0 1 1 2 .273 .308 .273 .580
    2010 ALCS TEX L 21 0 2 3 4 .190 .320 .286 .606
    2011 ALDS DET L 18 0 3 4 6 .111 .261 .111 .372
    2012 ALDS BAL W 16 0 0 2 9 .125 .222 .125 .347
    2012 ALCS DET L 7 0 0 0 3 .143 .143 .143 .286
    11 Yrs (18 Series) 272 13 41 39 75 .265 .372 .467 .838
    AB HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    11 ALDS 149 5 17 18 42 .242 .331 .376 .707
    Year Series Opp Rslt AB HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    6 ALCS 103 7 18 18 25 .301 .416 .583 .999
    1 WS 20 1 6 3 8 .250 .423 .550 .973

Generated 10/17/2012.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast